Hearst Media Services

Hearst Media Services Employee Reviews

Great pay, great culture
Digital Marketing Manager (Former Employee), charlotte, ncMarch 30, 2015
Pros: great pay, culture
Cons: fulfillment issues
awesome job to have easily make over 100k if you put in the work. A lot of cold calling, must love the phones and commit to being on them.
Good Experience
Account Manager- Keys Team (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAFebruary 25, 2015
Definitely a good learning opportunity and starting point for my career- balancing out sales and operations. Great colleagues
Working with Digital Ads was fun
Flash Graphic Designer (Former Employee), Danbury, CTFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: benefits were there, good staff
Cons: job security, end of the month crunch time was tough
I worked in the Digital Ad department and it was great! I had a great manager who worked with me. I learned a lot from her and how the company worked. She always pushed for quality and I would meet the quality because of the support she had given me. I couldn't have asked for any other person to work.

We worked together to reach deadlines and meet the companies end of the month digital ad goals which were tough. But were reached.
If you like feeling like you don't matter get a job here!
sales Executive (Former Employee), San Angelo, TXJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: u can be fake and nobody will care or notice
Cons: management and co workers are always "on" and walking in egg shells
The company is a corporation in which the people that work there don't really matter to management. They go by the everyone is replaceable and don't actually be yourself cus they don't want you to be. They are all fake with fake smiles and fake friendliness, there are other companies out there that are like this one and have a much more comfortable work environment.
Fun Place to work great employees
Account Executive (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXJanuary 19, 2015
Sold Digital Marketing Services, I.E. SEO, SEM , Banners to business in San Antonio. Hardest part of job issues from provisioning. Had great managers, and other employees. Most enjoyable part of the job was getting the sale
Would not recommend
CONTENT SPECIALIST (Former Employee), Waltham, MAAugust 5, 2014
Management was absolutely terrible. So much so that the Corporate office shut the office down.
If you like bait and switch work here.
Sales - digital (Former Employee), ConnecticutJune 28, 2014
Cons: see below also takes weeks to get reimbursed for company expenses.
Mismanagement, micromanaging and favoritism are pervasive. Pre and post hire description of requirements and territory infiltration are different realities. Commission virtually non existent year one. The rules of engahmemt change arbitrarily. HR is deceptive as well. Back biting and unprofessional staff.
It feels like a sweatshop.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Bridgeport, CTJune 22, 2014
Pros: paid holidays, little micromanaging
Cons: lack of job security, lack of career advancement, no tuition reimbursement (in the newspaper division)
You work very hard for little pay. Ever since the company was purchased by Hearst 7 years ago, there's been a "raise freeze" ever since. That in itself should speak volumes!
Great people to work with
Advertising (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: great people to work with
Cons: lots of uncertainty
The people here are great and every day is different. This place has been through lots of changes, and the people in leadership now seem to have a plan of what to do to transition the business. But changes in hard and some people just aren't feeling it.
Terrible management and work ethics
sales (Former Employee), Albany nyJanuary 24, 2014
Bad environment, bad work ethics, bad management, corporate and top management doesn't care about employees.
A good professional company
Account Executive (Former Employee), Houston, TXOctober 24, 2013
Pros: sales training, opportunity to grow your sales knowledge
Cons: lack of a stable comp system
The typical day included working the phones in setting appointments, making cold calls within the business areas and networking within business organizations. The HC has constant training on how to become a better salesperson, how to use the phone with appointment efficiency and how to develop business relationships. I celebrate today the many friends at work that were developed with over the years.
The hardest part of the job was when the clients did not get the desired results with the advertisement that was placed. The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction one gets when the ad campaigns worked.
Challenging and rewarding job
Digital Media Agent (Former Employee), Panama City, FLOctober 20, 2013
I enjoyed working for Hearst Media Services but was permanently laid off along with over 50 employees nationwide.
Very political
Former Employee (Current Employee), HoustonJune 13, 2013
company is on a downward spiral, they continue to lay off good people and the culture is changing in a negative way.
Digital Media Account Exec.
Digital Media Account Executive (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAMay 20, 2013
Pros: company has a reputable name and a very rich history.
Cons: the compensation has changed 3 times in 1 year. like most sales positions - high turnover rate.
The job requires you to prospect SMB either by cold calling or going door to door. There are no leads provided outside of the dialer, which might as well be calling out of the phone book. It is up to the account executive to determine what is the best solution for the clients.
Quiet work enviroment
DIGITAL SALES SPECIALIST (Current Employee), Houston, TXApril 9, 2013
Pros: i get to talk to all kinds of people and enjoy the meetings
Cons: rejections is the worst part of my job however you roll it off and continue going.
My day starts by getting on the phone and set up appointments and strategy for the day.It is a very interesting job that I see as an opportunity to be out there with people and help them with their business. My co-workers are nice and friendly, great people. Management could improve as far as knowing what exactly it takes to do what we do. I would have the Managers get out more and see what it takes to do business first hand. As for my day, the hardest part is trying to talk to more people however the people that I do talk to, share and help, makes my job worthwhile.
Great People, Fast-Paced Atmosphere
Creative (Current Employee), Houston, TXOctober 15, 2012
Pros: friendly coworkers, kind to employees, creative work
Cons: lack of job security, always behind deadline
Hearst treats its employees and clients well – very well. It's a friendly workplace with tons of loyal veteran workers. However, it suffers from the declining newspaper industry, which affects job security. Also, Hearst compensates by offering too-fast turnaround times to clients, which puts production under constant pressure.
Bottom of the barrel
sales (Former Employee), CTAugust 4, 2012
Pros: company has a well branded name with a good previous history
Cons: not a good workplace, management or business model. sales people come and go.
In my opinion,iIf you enjoy being micro-managed, constant commission format changes to inhibit earnings, backstabbing and being surrounded with the rudest group of individuals you will ever meet....here you go.
awesome job
DIGITAL MEDIA CONSULTANT (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJuly 19, 2012
great work environment
the eyeballs are shifting from print media to digital, and so are the SMB marketing dollars

Hearst Media Services Salaries