Hearst Media Services Employee Reviews

Sales and Marketing
Digital Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 5, 2018
The turnover of sales reps was very high. In the short time that I worked there I reported to three different managers and saw no less than 50 different sales reps come and go. The packages changed every couple of weeks, which made it difficult to sell and keep up with how you were compensated.
great company
Multi-Media Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 14, 2017
Great company, great staff
commute from east bay was terrible.
Very intelligent management.
Long days, high stress and great pay.
Great reputation in industry
well funded
great web site!
Pros
lots of perks
Cons
ego's
Get paid for how hard you work
Digital Media Consultant (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXMay 15, 2017
If you are needing sales experience or want to add a major company to your marketing/sales resume this is the place to do it. The training you get and support is one of the best, if you are producing of course. I can see why those not performing would hate this place. The life span of an outside sales rep is short. Constant turn over does not inspire confidence in upper management and at a local level you can tell they are overwhelmed by their demands. They will hire anyone regardless of sales experience which is great, however those with a good background or gain some selling skills quickly find out this is not the place for growth. Like I said great for those looking to get experience. Management is under trained and over worked and it shows. Constant changes in direction can be disheartening and the one size fits all management style leads to productive reps to leave. Since management changes their objective their is no typical day. They only thing that stays consistent is the cold calling... and lots of it. Cold calls in the morning, at least 50 in a 2 1/2 our period. Cold calls in the evening if you are not at 1/4 to goal starting the second week of the month. Add that to meetings about meetings and your left with very little time to meet with clients or to prospect. I wouldn't say that micromanagement is a problem here but you are watched on a daily basis. Even high producing agents get hounded about their activity and "pipeline". At the end of the day they are a big corporation and you are their to do one thing, Sale!
Pros
Good money while gaining experience.
Cons
Constant change in company direction and sales objective.
Great next step in career
Annonymous (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutApril 19, 2017
After being in different positions out of college I love being a part of a "real" innovative and growing company. I came from a company with a stellar culture but the people, products, and day-to-day is worth far more than having weekly happy-hours.
Pros
Work life balance, brand new office, competitive
Cons
Tough to keep morale up
senior web designer (Current Employee) –  buffalo, nyMarch 26, 2017
Stable job, with a collaborative environment. Not many opportunities to learn new skills. Very flexible schedule and decent pay for the area. Good for people who emphasize long term stability.
Pros
stable work, relaxed environment
Cons
Not the most modern work
Na
Multimedia Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTMarch 23, 2017
Company went through restructuring which didn't make things too great for some of us. There are still some changes taking place. Will have to see what more is to come.
Good office environment.
Automotive Digital Media Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 16, 2017
Great people to work with. Decent benefits with vacation. Awesome location in a historic newspaper building which they are upgrading to a more modernized efficient place to work.
Results Driven
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 8, 2015
There re are thousands of great nonprofits, but do you ever wonder which nonprofit organizations get the most traction on the web? We did, which is why I have put the time into creating the world’s top 100 nonprofit organizations list.
Good for Entry Level - IF YOU CAN LAST
Digital Optimization Analyst (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 24, 2015
There is a high turn over rate here. Everyone I know that started at this company at the same time as me is gone. Many of the supervisors came from print advertising or climbed the ladder from entry and they don't know much about design. There are some that are extremely unprofessional and no one accepts blame for anything.

They care more about quantity over quality and everyday is extremely stressful. For example, HMS decided to create a new tool to help everyone but instead of letting the programmers spend time on perfecting this tool, they rolled it out extremely quickly with bugs and non working parts that just caused problems for everyone. I hear it's still not any better.

Each department seems to have their own rules depending on what they prefer. Not everyone follows the same rules.

If you want to join a department, I suggest the Rep Man, SMM or the Web Design Team. Its a great place for entry level positions when you are trying to get into the field of digital marketing/advertising/design and you just want a starting point on your resume.

This isn't a place to have a career as you won't make that much money even as a supervisor. The money is in upper management but theres so many supervisors that have been there for 5-10+ years, it will take forever to actually become one. We weren't suppose to discuss salaries but everyone did!

If you would like to move to a different position, your manager can hold your resume and not send it on! I've never heard of a company doing this! It's happened to plenty of people I know. If that dept needs you, doesn't want
  more... you to leave or if your manager doesn't feel like you're a good fit they keep it!  less
Pros
Ping Pong Table, Occasional Free Food (very rare)
Cons
Health Care, Stressful, Pay
Fun but stressful environment, depending on management
New Business Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 13, 2015
My day consisted of cold calling, in the field or by phone in order to bring new business to the company. I learned how to sell online and print advertising to different companies of various industries. Management needs improvement overall. Most of my co- workers were fun to work with and had lots of help from everyone when I needed it. The hardest part of my job was to communicate with my area manager because of her personality. She was hard to get a long with. The most enjoyable part of my job was going on Happy Hour events with co-workers.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Stressful environment
Great pay, great culture
Digital Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  charlotte, ncMarch 30, 2015
awesome job to have easily make over 100k if you put in the work. A lot of cold calling, must love the phones and commit to being on them.
Pros
great pay, culture
Cons
fulfillment issues
Good Experience
Account Manager- Keys Team (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 25, 2015
Definitely a good learning opportunity and starting point for my career- balancing out sales and operations. Great colleagues
Working with Digital Ads was fun
Flash Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTFebruary 2, 2015
I worked in the Digital Ad department and it was great! I had a great manager who worked with me. I learned a lot from her and how the company worked. She always pushed for quality and I would meet the quality because of the support she had given me. I couldn't have asked for any other person to work.

We worked together to reach deadlines and meet the companies end of the month digital ad goals which were tough. But were reached.
Pros
Benefits were there, good staff
Cons
Job security, end of the month crunch time was tough
If you like feeling like you don't matter get a job here!
sales Executive (Former Employee) –  San Angelo, TXJanuary 24, 2015
The company is a corporation in which the people that work there don't really matter to management. They go by the everyone is replaceable and don't actually be yourself cus they don't want you to be. They are all fake with fake smiles and fake friendliness, there are other companies out there that are like this one and have a much more comfortable work environment.
Pros
U can be fake and nobody will care or notice
Cons
management and Co workers are always "on" and walking in egg shells
Fun Place to work great employees
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 19, 2015
Sold Digital Marketing Services, I.E. SEO, SEM , Banners to business in San Antonio. Hardest part of job issues from provisioning. Had great managers, and other employees. Most enjoyable part of the job was getting the sale
Would not recommend
CONTENT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAAugust 5, 2014
Management was absolutely terrible. So much so that the Corporate office shut the office down.
If you like bait and switch work here.
Sales - digital (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutJune 28, 2014
Mismanagement, micromanaging and favoritism are pervasive. Pre and post hire description of requirements and territory infiltration are different realities. Commission virtually non existent year one. The rules of engahmemt change arbitrarily. HR is deceptive as well. Back biting and unprofessional staff.
Pros
Cons
See below Also takes weeks to get reimbursed for company expenses.
It feels like a sweatshop.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTJune 22, 2014
You work very hard for little pay. Ever since the company was purchased by Hearst 7 years ago, there's been a "raise freeze" ever since. That in itself should speak volumes!
Pros
paid holidays, little micromanaging
Cons
lack of job security, lack of career advancement, no tuition reimbursement (in the Newspaper division)
Great people to work with
Advertising (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 20, 2014
The people here are great and every day is different. This place has been through lots of changes, and the people in leadership now seem to have a plan of what to do to transition the business. But changes in hard and some people just aren't feeling it.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Lots of uncertainty
Terrible management and work ethics
sales (Former Employee) –  Albany nyJanuary 24, 2014
Bad environment, bad work ethics, bad management, corporate and top management doesn't care about employees.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hearst Media Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Hearst Media Services Reviews by Location