heart of america group Employee Reviews

Fun fast paced job with wonderful people
Sales Coordinator/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSSeptember 26, 2016
Typical day at work would be responding to inquiries, checking on events, details BEO's, quoting events and/or guest rooms, billing, assisting the front desk or restaurant.
Working for the HOA has taught me more in a year than working for other companies. They give you a lot of opportunity to advance, are happy to give you more responsibilities and are open to hearing YOU. So nice to have a career that you can have a sit down conversation with the general manger and actually be listened to. The co-workers and management team are wonderful. Everyone works for the betterment of the hotel and I feel as though the management team has their employees back. The hardest part of the job was honestly leaving it. Moving was a difficult choice for me because finding a wonderful company to work for that is like a family is few and far between to come by. The most enjoyable part was looking forward to coming to work every day to work with the crazy staff and know that I'm appreciated.
Pros
Restaurant/hotel discounts
Cons
vacation time/sick days are limited for hourly employees
Lots of variety in each job
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 8, 2015
Company very budget driven. Being able to interact with guests everyday is a delight. Co-workers become your hotel family.
professional and exciting work place
Sales/Customer Specialist Agent (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSMay 22, 2015
great career for connections and a lot of room to move up in the company. I was constantly pushed to improve my communication and social conduct skills. A great work atmosphere.
Pros
five star lunches and connections with high class business execs
Cons
no breaks
Not Great
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  AnonymousFebruary 21, 2015
This was the worst company that I ever worked for. Upper management tends to get hostile if they don't think you did the right thing. They base a lot of their decisions on what they think about a situation instead of taking time to find out the facts. They are excessively frugal, weak retirement contributions, no regular performance reviews. I gave notice and left on my own accord. HR presence is very low, did not ever feel comfortable working for this company. I was very excited when I found a new job and was able to leave this company.
Pros
Gained work experience
Cons
Way too cheap
Fun place to work with great employees
Server (Former Employee) –  Lake Elmo, MNJuly 22, 2014
Great friendly work environment. Take customer orders, communicate with the kitchen and deliver the correct food in a fast and efficient way.
Pros
Half off all food.
Cons
No benifits
Successfully busy at both locations
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Walcott, IAOctober 3, 2012
I have mixed feelings towards Heart of America. Working under the management at the Machine Shed was not very enjoyable as a busser; no breaks, under-appreciated, our tip-outs were not fully enforced resulting in missed tips form the servers, compensation was pretty weak, work environment was negative and stressful. However, working under the management at Gramma's Kitchen was far more enjoyable; better work environment, rules were enforced, most of staff worked well as a team, short breaks were given. The only complaint I see in Gramma's Kitchen is the compensation isn't very evenly distributed among the workers. Newer workers make significantly less despite the same amount of work involved.
Pros
busy, successful locations bringing in much clientele
Cons
short or no breaks, stressful environment
Great Company, Good People
Executive Administrative Assistant & Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILMarch 16, 2012
Loved the people and family atmoshphere. Promote within if possible.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at heart of america group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4