Hearthside Food Solutions Employee Reviews

Great Pay but never had time off.
Packaging Line Lead (Temp) (Former Employee) –  London, KYNovember 21, 2015
Great pay and benefits but hardly got time off. They have a "draft system" where you are forced to work overtime. When I worked there it was sometimes 12-13 hours a day, 6-7 days a week during spring, summer, fall. When winter hit, people with less seniority didn't get to work due to lack there of. I never understood how anyone with children worked there because of the hours. Horrible working conditions during the summer, sometimes it would be 112 degrees in spots and not air conditioning. Have to climb under belts to get to work areas because of no space for ladders. Very accident prone and dangerous in areas.
Pros
Great Pay and Benefits
Cons
No time off, and poor management
Horrible Experience but good pay
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  McComb, OHMarch 1, 2016
Fast pay, good pay, not a good environment, rude and racist co workers, biased management, favoritism, will send you home if not needed.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Horrible enviornment
Unorganized environment and poor management
Quality Assurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILApril 21, 2016
I used to love working at this co-packaging company before it was bought out and merged with the Hearthside Food Solutions Inc. The way the corporation handled everything was terrible. Management was completely changed. The company began cutting hours and adding labor outside of contract description to employees in order to save money. Weekend work was mandatory, and if employees refused, management would lay them off. Schedules were constantly changed without a heads up. However, I did learn new skills such as working with new equipment and machinery, more high tech, more efficient. Also learned how to do lab tests with newer more updated technology.
Pros
Learned how to
Cons
Poor management, no initial care for employee
Stress workplace
I.T. Support Level 2 - 3 (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILJanuary 4, 2016
Stress working day
Learned a lot
Just couple of managers are good
Best co-workers
Not enough challenge
Going home and meetings
Pros
Good learning source
Cons
Very bad benefits and no promotions and compensations.
High Volume Snack Food Production
Business Unit Manager / Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 17, 2015
Spent 7 years with the company. Drove an increase of 20% overall production increase. Very demanding management enviroment.
Pros
Good Money / Great Benefits
Cons
Very Hot
Decent company to work for..
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INSeptember 26, 2016
For the most part I had a nice experience working for Hearthside Food Solutions. The insurance benefits there are great..
Pros
I made pretty good money..
Cons
Standing in one place for 90% of my shift made for a boring day..
Issue is management
Machine Op (Current Employee) –  London, KYOctober 19, 2015
Management is bad from top leadership down. Policies are not handled consistently. Confidentiality is a joke. A few individuals seem to be calling all of the shots and "do nothing wrong". Production schedule changes happen daily and it effects our hours. Irregular hours make it hard for us to live, pay bills, keep food on the table and gas in our cars. The pay is good if you get 40 hours a week but on 2-3 days of work per week if lucky it is hard to make it. I'm looking for a job with a steady paycheck even if it is less hourly.
Pros
employees
Cons
management
Horrible
Packer (Former Employee) –  London, KYJanuary 5, 2016
This place will NEVER change. I have worked here a few different times, and it seems it gets worse every time. They offer no benefits, with bad pay. Getting hired in full time or getting promoted seems almost impossible. Unless you know somebody in HR this is not a good job to have a ladder to climb
Productive workplace
Packer, skid loader (Former Employee) –  McComb, OHJanuary 24, 2016
Pick items off the assembly line and pack them in boxes. Good coworkers and management. Might start on a fast pace line when first starting. Very nice pay.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Far commute
good environment, comfortable work area
Quality Assurance Technician (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILMarch 10, 2016
a typical day is quiet. learned to perform GMP, ATP swabs, put production on hold, ensure quality of product. coworkers are friendly. Specific amount of lined given to the Q.A depends on the workload of that day.
Pros
free time, not a tiring job
Cons
hours, production rate
bay windows breeze blows through warehouse , sometimes
packaging (Former Employee) –  McComb, OHNovember 23, 2015
bad place to work little pay and management is people are rude

work environment is dirty . shut down for holidays with no pay unless your hired into the company . pay for insurance but never get insurance card
Review
Labor Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kentwood, MIFebruary 1, 2015
This is a tolerable position to possibly put you at the entryway to a career in Human Resources. The pay is fair, and much higher than a typical small business. The downside are the long hours and mandatory weekends. The culture is also a little off, but on the plus side it is a priority for the company and it is being worked on.
Pros
pay, larger company with room for growth
Cons
company culture, long hours, mandatory hours
ok long term job if you just want a paycheck
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INFebruary 26, 2016
its a decent place to work but their scheduling could use some help.
unless you've been there for years don't count on your 40hrs
Pros
awesome insurance
Cons
dont know day to day what days you work
Excellent company to work for
Packer (Former Employee) –  McComb, OHDecember 23, 2014
During my employment at this company, I enjoyed the team/family type of work environment. If I needed help or assistance with something that was necessary to complete my job, my manager as well as my co-workers were always available to assist me and show me what was needed to complete all of the required work assignments. I would work there again if asked.

I learned many technical and customer service skills that made it much easier to do my job with much less stress. The hardest part of my job was to sometimes ask for help with things that were related to my job duties.
Pros
fun work environment, excellent management open door policy, and rapid career advancement
Cons
n/a
Fast paced environment!
Reach Truck Operator (Current Employee) –  Lakeville, MNJanuary 21, 2014
In the warehouse it is a high speed demanding job. We would be responsible for shipping, receiving, putaway and assisting production.

Management is not very great. No one is really held accountable for their mistakes. Supervisors just hang out in their offices all day and act irritated if they need to actually do something. If there is a mistake they are quick to blame others and cover their rears.

The hardest part of the job is not having the proper equipment to get the job done.

The most enjoyable part of the job is a sense of accomplishing your tasks at the end of the day.

Overall, your co-workers are all great people. Occasionally you have a bad egg and they tend to not pull their weight but mostly everyone works well together.

Working every other weekend sucks! You get days off during the week (which is nice) however, I would rather have my weekends off when my significant other is off.

They say they promote from within but it seems that isn't true anymore. At one point it was but times have changed.
Pros
job security, decent pay and benefits
Cons
management, work 12 hour days, no extra compensation for weekend work, reach the top quickly and hit a dead-end
Fast pace, continuous improvement.
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Kentwood, MIFebruary 18, 2014
Morning meeting, go over what went wrong and what went right.
Walk plant floor, looking for safety hazards, repairs needed.
Assign crew to immediate needs (safety first).
Review PM completion, assign new PM's
Review projects percentage complete, adjust manpower as needed.
Meet with each department (Sanitation, Production, shipping) to insure improvement plans are in place and on target.
Meet with employees on the floor listen and address problems they may be having.

I had built the maintenance program, lock out tag out, worked with other departments to insure PM's ran on schedule and inspected to insure they were done properly.

Hardest part was disciplinary procedures (ones with gray areas the worst).

Best part was company recognition for department work well done.
Pros
flexible hours and team mentality
Cons
mandatory long hours, diminishing health benefits.
A Good Company to Work For.
Line Lead (Current Employee) –  Lakeville, MNMarch 23, 2015
Good pay, benefits and management. The hours were long (12 hour shifts) but they do compensate you with extra days off and pay overtime.
Pros
good pay, nice atmosphere, good management
Cons
long hours, line work.
Management plays favortism
Forklift and hand jack operation (Former Employee) –  McComb, OHAugust 1, 2015
Depending on the management person you have on any given day will decide how the work goes that shift. There is one or two managers who let their favorites take three times longer breaks and talk on phones etc which then not only screws you out of getting any break but also increases your work load and especially in the mixing department with timed batches that need met can be a nightmare.
Hearthside has a great management team that worked together as a team.
SANITATION MANAGER (Former Employee) –  London, KYAugust 28, 2015
Typical day: Each day was difference and the sanitation department work as a team to bring the plant to the next level.

Everyday I learned something new about hearthside and the people that make hearthside what it is today.
Pros
Great management team
Cons
Management and moral are very poor, and very extream amount of hours to put in
Maintenance Electrician (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 16, 2012
Over all they compensate you well and the work is ok but not what I want to be doing the rest of my life. I have always looked for a place to call home, another General Motors if you will (life long job security). This place is not it. They are the most unprofessional employer I have worked for yet. The micro-management and lack of care for quality work and safety has really brought the once was great place Roscam down with new Hearthside policies and Management.
Cons
negative enforcement attitude of managers. always a threat never a "good job"

2.9