Heartland Alliance

Heartland Alliance Employee Reviews

A great place to work
Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 13, 2015
A culturally diverse population of staff and clients, this organization serves the poorest and sickest of the community.
Good Job
Nutrition Aide (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 3, 2015
Pros: The Hours
Cons: It Was Seasonal
The job Was a good Place To Work.
 Maintained a clean and sanitary food preparation and dining area
 Prepared and served meals to children ages 2 – 18 years of age
 Maintained and completed paperwork
 Tracked food temperatures, daily meals plans and meal distributions
Part-time
Independent Contractor (Current Employee), chicago, ilJanuary 26, 2015
Spanish and English Interpretation for hospitals, NFP organizations, Schools and some Legal issues. Work through out Chicago and Suburban Areas.
i loved working for Heartland Alliance the employers were dedicated and really helped me to understand what i need to do
manufacturing (Former Employee), chicago ilDecember 19, 2014
i got to work at 8:00 every day Monday thru Friday i worked 40 hours a week. The hardest part of the job was maintaining the work area. The most enjoyable part about my job was being able to work with metals. Creating tables chairs and welding metals together buffering and smoothing it all was great
Heartland residential youth services
Case Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 12, 2014
Pros: free meals, good experience, the kids are amazing
Cons: management, non-flexible schedules
The job can be extremely easy and fun working with the kids. It is the lack of consistent management that makes the job difficult because things turn chaotic very quickly. As a new employee especially for second or third shift you will be working every Friday and Saturday night even older staff that that have been there a year cannot get one weekend day off.
The turnover is extremely high if a person makes it more then 8 months they are a "veteran" staff.
fair work environment
Office Coordinator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 11, 2014
answering phones monitoring residents collecting rental payments
Management needs training on how to treat employees and the children!!!
Social Services Case Manager (Former Employee), Des Plaines, ILNovember 23, 2014
Pros: interacting with the kids and learning about their lives back home.
Cons: management is horrible!!
First day of work they expected me to know every thing. I did not get proper training and basically learned from other employees that had started before me. I dreaded coming to work when I knew management was going to be there. Worked my butt off... to get yelled at and No Thank you or Your doing a great job. They treated both employees and kids like we were garbage. Management and director needs to get trained on how to guide their employees to be successful.
On another note..I loved interacting with the kids. Knowing that they could count on me for a smile or an ear to hear them out. They are kids and not inmates. They should be treated like children and understood. I was lucky to have co-workers that enjoyed what they did for the kids. I always had someone to help me if i needed help.

I hope they replace management with other people that want to work for this agency.
Great Co workers
Case Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 28, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job, was being able to process with troubled teens
customer service
Supervisor (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 24, 2014
Pros: effective communication methods
Cons: many meeting in different places in the same time
Heartland Alliance, Chicago, IL (Refugee and Immigration Office)
• Provide Interpreting services in Arabic & English for newcomers & Make sure all service are provided clearly and understood.
• Assist newcomers in filling out paperwork with Social Security Office and Public Aid; arrange medical and educational appointments for individuals and families; review medical history for each individual. Check original text to ensure that translation is accurate
• Proof read and edit written materials & Use electronic listening equipment when prompted
fun work placed leared alot
Volunteer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 22, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: healthcare
i did allot of helping around and i all so learned allot ou could do just that with group health insurance from ABM Insurance & Benefit Services, the specialists hundreds of firms in Houston and across Texas already rely on for employee benefits plans.

We've been supporting and strengthening Houston businesses for more than 25 years, with customized health benefits programs at some of the most competitive rates available.
Nice Management
Accounting Manager- International Programs (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 23, 2014
I loved working there, love my ex- manager and I felt this company like a home.h
One of the best agencies to work for
Mental Health Clinical Practioner (Current Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: union, pto, tuition reimbursement, cheap benefits, ceu support, loan forgiveness options
Cons: turn over rate, lay offs, biased towards social workers, some staff and managers take harm reduction too far
I feel compelled to review this company given the many negative reviews. I am a both a current and former employee of this agency. I worked under HHCS as an Employment Case Manager while in graduate school. Heartland was great, they were flexible with my school schedule, paid for trainings, and they paid for part of my degree. I obtained a valuable experience with the homeless population and with employment services. I left because it was difficult to obtain a clinical position in the agency. At the time the agency didn't have a separate internal candidate site.
Currently I serve in a clinical position under HHO. I have been able to advocate for certain rights in my program.
Heartland's union definitely cares for their members. As an agency Heartland takes care of their participants. Heartland offers an impressive benefits package, generous time off, CEU support, and tuition reimbursement. They also participate in a loan forgiveness program that will pay 50k for full time employees and 25k for part time employees that worked at the company for 2 years. As a not for profit agency they qualify for a variety of loan forgiveness options. Heartland is very laid back, so the dress code is very casual for non loop staff. The philosophy of care and mission is amazing. The company and staff strive to live up to both.
Heartland does not pay much but it is higher than most not for profits. The high turnover rate is also due to lay offs. If you are laid off you keep your seniority with the company for a year. It is difficult to move around (which is why I left after grad school) but not – more... impossible. I have seen people move around to better positions due to turn over. I have also seen people work up the ranks (after some years). Heartland is biased towards social workers at one point all staff had to follow NASW ethics. However, times have changed and other professions and ethics are embraced. Heartland is a harm reduction agency and at times some staff take that philosophy to the extreme, making the approach seem more like enabling.
Overall, I think it is a great agency with programs known both nationally and internationally like the NIJC. It is a great place to work for both new and seasoned professionals. – less
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 19, 2014
Assistant to the Pastor secretary, typing, filing, and assisting neighborhood events by providing governmental assistance to low income and elderly residents.
a productive and fun workplace.
Picker/Packer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 15, 2014
Pros: i got to roll with the big boys on the loading doc.
Cons: no healthcare, less hours
I learned how to pack a 3000 pound truck with 5000 pounds of food it wasn't easy so I made it fun. I bet 50 dollars I could do this. then the hold factory tried to get in on that one it was a good day.
Great place to be exposed to what's going on in different countries.
Case Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 29, 2014
Pros: great benefits, a lot of over-time is available. tuition assistance, and great staff.
Cons: hours can be difficult to adjust to, you will often get days off during the week and will work every holiday.
This place is great if you want to work with kids from different parts of the world. It will give you great experience with working with many things. This job is very hands on and you get to monitor the children closely and spend time with them, you essentially become family to these kids. The hardest part of this job is that its a detention facility which means you'll be lucky if you get weekends off.
Nice place to start working
Case Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 16, 2014
I like this place i just dont like that i am night shift. The benefits are great and its a union job so u are protected. If u like working with kids this is the place for you.
productive environment
Case Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 27, 2014
good place work, everyday is different and a learning experience.
Toxic, Demoralizing, Abusive...
Worker-Former employee (Former Employee), ICRCJune 4, 2014
Pros: the kids, co-workers
Cons: director, management
I came across the following review about ICRC & YRS and because of the absolute truth to what the writer has posted I decided to copy and paste it. I could not have described the working environment any better (I worked there for about a year). I hope that individuals looking for employment hear this writer's message.

ICRC is a HORRIBLE place to work at because of the director and managers. Ask any former employee of ICRC and you will hear the same.

The review posted reads:
"The managers at ICRC and YRS are soul crushingly horrible

Worker (Former Employee), Chicago, IL – March 9, 2014

Pros: the kids, co-workers, you could improve your spanish, job looks decent on a resume, being in the union

Cons: management

I worked at ICRC for over a year. It was, by far, the most negative work environment I had ever worked in. The work that Heartland does is decent but the managers at ICRC do not care about the workers, worker morale or what workers think. They make decisions without talking with workers, there is no participation in decision making, which means that they usually make bad decisions. After a policy is put in place the workers cannot speak their mind because the managers, especially the director there, could care less.

Not only is morale low, not only is the work environment toxic, this information has been brought to the attention of the managers within YRS. The managers simply don't care what is going on at ICRC and work hard to protect the director there. The director is the person most responsible for the work environment there and she clearly has friends above her – more... that protect her. Turnover is very high too because of how it is to work at ICRC. They call themselves a human rights organization but they allow a center within their program to be run in such a horrible and authoritarian way, totally the opposite of the image they try to present. Whatever the work that the organization does on the whole, those that run YRS (in particular ICRC) do not share the spirit or image the organization tries to present.

As crazy as it sounds, I don't think the managers at ICRC have been trained on how to improve worker morale or productivity. You would think otherwise, given that it is a "human rights" organization.

If you work at ICRC you will feel worthless. You will not be heard. You will feel expendable. You will not be complimented on anything you do. You will be micro-managed. If you speak up you will be targeted. If you go to HR they will turn around and tell the managers of YRS what you said and will do nothing. Same with Employee Services. Just expect to feel like dirt and for no one within management to care or do anything about that."

Former employee, thank you for writing about the truth. – less
Troubled properties with little resources to correct problems
Property Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 10, 2014
Pros: a company that truly cares
Cons: no resources to assist employees to serve clients.
Heartland is a non profit organization,which I admire for what their program intends to provide to the public; but with limited resources available...it made it almost impossible to service tenants and other clients on a daily basis.
The managers at ICRC and YRS are soul crushingly horrible
Worker (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 9, 2014
Cons: management

Not only is morale low, not only is the work environment toxic, this information has been brought to the attention of the managers within YRS. The managers simply don't care what is going on at ICRC and work hard to protect the director there. The director is the person most responsible for the work environment there and she clearly has friends above her that protect her. Turnover is very high too because of how it is to work at ICRC. They call themselves a human rights organization but they allow a center within their program to be run in such a horrible and authoritarian way, totally the opposite of the image they try to present. Whatever the work that the organization does on the whole, those that run YRS (in particular ICRC) do not share the spirit or image the organization tries to present.

1 2 3

About Heartland Alliance

Heartland Alliance—the leading anti-poverty organization in the Midwest— believes that all of us deserve the opportunity – Read more

Heartland Alliance Salaries