Heartland Alliance

Heartland Alliance Employee Reviews

Great place to work for helping others
Patient Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoisAugust 17, 2015
Great training clinic and knowlegeable Providers who go the extra mile. The best part of the job is being an=ble to help those who can not help themselves at atime of need.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Face paced environment
A noble place to work.
Accounting Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 22, 2015
Interesting place to work. Employees are professional and helpful.
The company is making great improvements in operations and technology.
The company's mission is wonderful and the assistance offered to the world is awesome. Heartland has offices in many foreign locations, including Mexico.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
No formal training
very good place to work for Peaceful and professional
Front Desk Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 21, 2015
Very easy going and helpful place to work for. this company is a human rights organization. they help people to better there lives. this is where you can find a pleasant smile and someone to help you trying to recreat your life.
Pros
paid vacations
Cons
Need more hours
Fun work environment
Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 20, 2015
Busy place to work. Processes change in the middle of the process. Staff works well together. The hardest part of the job would be the change in management.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Heartland Allgiance
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 24, 2015
Although I learned a lot at Heartland Alliance, the atmosphere was a bit of a challenge to work in. The staff were friendly and helpful, however the management wasn't always consistent.
A great place to work
Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 13, 2015
A culturally diverse population of staff and clients, this organization serves the poorest and sickest of the community.
Good Job
Nutrition Aide (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 3, 2015
The job Was a good Place To Work.
 Maintained a clean and sanitary food preparation and dining area
 Prepared and served meals to children ages 2 – 18 years of age
 Maintained and completed paperwork
 Tracked food temperatures, daily meals plans and meal distributions
Pros
The Hours
Cons
It Was Seasonal
Part-time
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  chicago, ilJanuary 26, 2015
Spanish and English Interpretation for hospitals, NFP organizations, Schools and some Legal issues. Work through out Chicago and Suburban Areas.
i loved working for Heartland Alliance the employers were dedicated and really helped me to understand what i need to do
manufacturing (Former Employee) –  chicago ilDecember 19, 2014
i got to work at 8:00 every day Monday thru Friday i worked 40 hours a week. The hardest part of the job was maintaining the work area. The most enjoyable part about my job was being able to work with metals. Creating tables chairs and welding metals together buffering and smoothing it all was great
Heartland residential youth services
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 12, 2014
The job can be extremely easy and fun working with the kids. It is the lack of consistent management that makes the job difficult because things turn chaotic very quickly. As a new employee especially for second or third shift you will be working every Friday and Saturday night even older staff that that have been there a year cannot get one weekend day off.
The turnover is extremely high if a person makes it more then 8 months they are a "veteran" staff.
Pros
free meals, good experience, the kids are amazing
Cons
management, non-flexible schedules
fair work environment
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 11, 2014
answering phones monitoring residents collecting rental payments
Management needs training on how to treat employees and the children!!!
Social Services Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILNovember 23, 2014
First day of work they expected me to know every thing. I did not get proper training and basically learned from other employees that had started before me. I dreaded coming to work when I knew management was going to be there. Worked my butt off... to get yelled at and No Thank you or Your doing a great job. They treated both employees and kids like we were garbage. Management and director needs to get trained on how to guide their employees to be successful.
On another note..I loved interacting with the kids. Knowing that they could count on me for a smile or an ear to hear them out. They are kids and not inmates. They should be treated like children and understood. I was lucky to have co-workers that enjoyed what they did for the kids. I always had someone to help me if i needed help.

I hope they replace management with other people that want to work for this agency.
Pros
interacting with the kids and learning about their lives back home.
Cons
management is horrible!!
Great Co workers
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 28, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job, was being able to process with troubled teens
customer service
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 24, 2014
Heartland Alliance, Chicago, IL (Refugee and Immigration Office)
• Provide Interpreting services in Arabic & English for newcomers & Make sure all service are provided clearly and understood.
• Assist newcomers in filling out paperwork with Social Security Office and Public Aid; arrange medical and educational appointments for individuals and families; review medical history for each individual. Check original text to ensure that translation is accurate
• Proof read and edit written materials & Use electronic listening equipment when prompted
Pros
effective communication methods
Cons
many meeting in different places in the same time
fun work placed leared alot
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 22, 2014
i did allot of helping around and i all so learned allot ou could do just that with group health insurance from ABM Insurance & Benefit Services, the specialists hundreds of firms in Houston and across Texas already rely on for employee benefits plans.

We've been supporting and strengthening Houston businesses for more than 25 years, with customized health benefits programs at some of the most competitive rates available.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
healthcare
Nice Management
Accounting Manager- International Programs (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 23, 2014
I loved working there, love my ex- manager and I felt this company like a home.h
One of the best agencies to work for
Mental Health Clinical Practioner (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 5, 2014
I feel compelled to review this company given the many negative reviews. I am a both a current and former employee of this agency. I worked under HHCS as an Employment Case Manager while in graduate school. Heartland was great, they were flexible with my school schedule, paid for trainings, and they paid for part of my degree. I obtained a valuable experience with the homeless population and with employment services. I left because it was difficult to obtain a clinical position in the agency. At the time the agency didn't have a separate internal candidate site.
Currently I serve in a clinical  more... position under HHO. I have been able to advocate for certain rights in my program.
Heartland's union definitely cares for their members. As an agency Heartland takes care of their participants. Heartland offers an impressive benefits package, generous time off, CEU support, and tuition reimbursement. They also participate in a loan forgiveness program that will pay 50k for full time employees and 25k for part time employees that worked at the company for 2 years. As a not for profit agency they qualify for a variety of loan forgiveness options. Heartland is very laid back, so the dress code is very casual for non loop staff. The philosophy of care and mission is amazing. The company and staff strive to live up to both.
Heartland does not pay much but it is higher than most not for profits. The high turnover rate is also due to lay offs. If you are laid off you keep your seniority with the company for a year. It is difficult to move around (which is why I left after grad school) but not impossible. I have seen people move around to better positions due to turn over. I have also seen people work up the ranks (after some years). Heartland is biased towards social workers at one point all staff had to follow NASW ethics. However, times have changed and other professions and ethics are embraced. Heartland is a harm reduction agency and at times some staff take that philosophy to the extreme, making the approach seem more like enabling.
Overall, I think it is a great agency with programs known both nationally and internationally like the NIJC. It is a great place to work for both new and seasoned professionals.  less
Pros
union, pto, tuition reimbursement, cheap benefits, ceu support, loan forgiveness options
Cons
turn over rate, lay offs, biased towards social workers, some staff and managers take harm reduction too far
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 19, 2014
Assistant to the Pastor secretary, typing, filing, and assisting neighborhood events by providing governmental assistance to low income and elderly residents.
a productive and fun workplace.
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 15, 2014
I learned how to pack a 3000 pound truck with 5000 pounds of food it wasn't easy so I made it fun. I bet 50 dollars I could do this. then the hold factory tried to get in on that one it was a good day.
Pros
i got to roll with the big boys on the loading doc.
Cons
no healthcare, less hours
Great place to be exposed to what's going on in different countries.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 29, 2014
This place is great if you want to work with kids from different parts of the world. It will give you great experience with working with many things. This job is very hands on and you get to monitor the children closely and spend time with them, you essentially become family to these kids. The hardest part of this job is that its a detention facility which means you'll be lucky if you get weekends off.
Pros
great benefits, a lot of over-time is available. tuition assistance, and great staff.
Cons
hours can be difficult to adjust to, you will often get days off during the week and will work every holiday.