Heartland Alliance Employee Reviews

productive workplace
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 12, 2017
productive workplace, very diverse tenant population. The most enjoyable part of the job is the ability to help people who are in need. That is the best part of the job
Not good with promoting within
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 28, 2017
I have worked for Heartland Alliance for over a year as part of their resource pool, and many times, when they had full-time positions available for the same position that I would perform, I would get passed up. Then, I was laid off out of the blue without notice. I wanted to continue to work for the organization, but there was not a lot of work given to me to complete.
Heartland Housing is a great place to work with immaculate benefits.
Front Desk Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 26, 2017
Well, my position is a front desk clerk but I am more of a security guard than a clerk because of the environment of the establishment. I do some clerical work behind the desk but mostly I am securing the building from potential threats.
quality of management has declined.
Case Management and Crisis Intervention (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 16, 2017
Heartland used to be a good NPO to work for, but the quality of management has declined. Budget cuts have also decreased the quality of services that mental health workers are able to offer.
Could have been better
Outreach Advocate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 7, 2017
The pay was not what I expected, and the benefits were less then savory. It great to get started, but don't stay there. Politics can get in the way. stay away
Decent environment to work
Lead Senior Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 6, 2017
Heartland Alliance is the first company to start my career. I learned a lot from this company. I worked there for five years. I strongly recommend this company.
Pros
Free lunch, flexible schdule
Cons
need to work weekend/evening hours
very high pace
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 13, 2017
not ideal position for newbies high pace but very much needed for the chicago youth. management could be less strict and more approachable but the staff are absolutely great with the kids
ok
Clinical Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 9, 2017
I was only there for a short time, as the entire team was laid off due to budget cuts. During the time that I was there, it was unorganized and under staffed.
Great place to work!
SENIOR MENTAL HEALTH WORKER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 7, 2017
Human rights is the highest priority! Homeless population get great resources through Heartland Alliance. Very large organization with many growth opportunities!
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Hyper-critical
Production and fun workplace
IT Field Help Desk Technician (Paid Intern) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 29, 2017
Where you traveled from location to location learning on the job. A lot of hands on experience where everyday was different.
Pros
Receive hands on training.
Cons
It was only internship.
Nice enviroment
Janitorial Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 18, 2016
Nice place to work just too short due to government funding. It was a state program to put the people back to work for a short period of time. Just wished the program lasted longer.
great place to start after you get your MSW
Mental Health Clinical Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 16, 2016
Heartland is great if you just got your MSW need experience. they pay for your licensure, and they have great benefits (which i now realize at my new job eek!), they also have so many vacation and personal days. The kids are the best part just like in any job if you've chosen to work in this field. However, management is awful! for some reason they don't fire anyone unless its gotten to an extreme situation which makes no sense. management are rude and power hungry and terrible communicators. in the end i was over worked and under paid. in the end i was doing program manager duties, floor staff duties, and i'm the therapist! but if i didn't do it then no one would do it and the kids suffer.
Pros
co-workers and the kids always the kids
Cons
program managers, associate directors, directors, and higher ups at broadway office
Layback, with some people who are not so fair.
Community Liaison (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60608December 1, 2016
This job is great for dentistry. They pretty much accept any type of bachelors degree. There is favoritism in this job, which makes it unfair. There is a particular manager who is very bias, and makes this easy job feel like a stressful place to be. Watch out for her, and her favorite worker. They fired someone in the past because those two were getting complains.
Pros
This job is layback.
Cons
You sometimes get really bored, and feel like you are not achiving anything
Great place to work for, very accommodating
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 11, 2016
Very rewarding profession, however, difficult to move up in position. Hour long lunch, lunch provided. Great resources. Lost of opportunities to travel to educational places (e.g., museums). High quality training's and re-certifications.
Learning Opportunity
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 30, 2016
I've learned a great deal and have grown in my profession here. It's been a good opportunity for me. It's a fairly big organization.I love the mission.
Pros
Admin Staff are very helpful and great resources
Love the mission of the organization, but limited opportunities for advancement
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 12, 2016
Heartland Alliance is a large organization with its heart in the right place. Many people choose to work here because they want to make a positive difference in people's lives, something which is very possible in the organization.
It was a great experience to work with staff there.
Ohio (Former Employee) –  OhioAugust 30, 2016
I managed adults, youth and children of all ethnic, economical backgrounds. I was very rewarding to help others and give hope in sometimes hopeless situations.
Pros
Working with people
Cons
Dealing with difficult people
supportive staff
Spanish Bilingual Quality of Life Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 2, 2016
There is excellent benefit package, supportive staff, opportunity for growth. There is never a dull day at work. Is a very fast-paced environment. My co-workers were very supportive, The hardest park about the job is keeping up with the pace. There are events and lots of paper-work but other than that is very fun and enjoyable to work here.
Seasonal
Internship Freedom from Trafficking (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 10, 2016
Overall I enjoy the time spent here. Work hours are very flexible, therefore it fits best with my schedule.
typical work day
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 13, 2016
There is no such thing as a typical work day. The work environment is very fast pace and keeps you on your toes. However, my co-workers and supervisor are very supportive, which makes everything much easier.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Heartland Alliance. Our community is ready to answer.

Heartland Alliance Reviews by Location