Heartland Dental Employee Reviews

Heartland Dental cares a lot of their employees and about the dental offices they support.
Patients Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Effingham, ILAugust 13, 2015
Heartland Dental does an excellent job showing each and everyone one of their employees and supported dental offices that they have value in the company. Heartland Dental provides great benefits, great advancement opportunities and they are willing to listen to ideas even from the "low man on the totem pole".

For my job as a Patient Services Representative (PSR), a typical day consists of answering phone calls for over 500 of the dental offices supported by Heartland. PSRs schedule/reschedule/cancel appointments for offices, answer simple questions and make sure that the dental offices know of any concerns their patients might have.

I have learned that every dental office, every person working in the dental office and every patient at the dental offices are different. There are several personality types and I, as a PSR, have to adapt my own personality to theirs. At times this can be a challenge because my personality doesn't always mix with personalities opposite mine. This can also be challenging with dental offices in general because some dental offices are much more strict than others. As a PSR, I have to quickly know how the office likes their appointments scheduled, how their patients are to be treated and how detailed I must be in answering questions and recording information.

My biggest challenge with this job is the job itself. I personally have a difficult time sitting in one spot answering phone calls for more than a couple of hours. I am fine with sitting and/or answering phone calls but I also like to get up and move around and perform other tasks as
  more... well. This job can be very boring but also very stressful depending on the day and type of calls I get.

The most enjoyable thing about this job is my co-workers and management. Everyone that I work with is so nice and encouraging especially to new employees. The management is great at making sure that each new employee feels comfortable talking phone calls before sending them out to take calls alone.
Pros
Great management, break room provides a lot of space to relax, kitchen has great food options and beverage options
Cons
Having to sit in one place for the entirety of the work day
high level integrity with a purpose you can support 100%
Practice administrator (Former Employee) –  Effingham, ILMay 17, 2015
The hardest part of the job was saying no to the many opportunities they provide so that I could balance my work/home life.

It is a fast paced, growing company that was evolving daily. Lots of required continuing education was required. Lots of meetings and discussing the numbers that represent patient care to the dr and teams to ensure the highest quality dental care experience was provided. Coaching in the moment was an essential function of my role and I enjoy the creative freedom or "grey area" of my job description. Implementing ideas and systems to make a group of people work as a well oiled machine in their own unique fashion was both extremely difficult and rewarding.
Pros
lots of leadership training
Cons
underpaid and management was very "clicky"
TERRIBLE WORK ENVIRONMENT... RUN NOW!!!
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  MDSeptember 17, 2014
Management sucks, they work you like a dog, and show no appreciation for everything you do. The hours are ridicously long, and you hardly ever get a break. The only people who get any type of promotion are the butt kissers who hardly know how to do their jobs. The entire company is focused only on how much money you can make for them. They claim to be a family oriented company, but if you have an emergency with your child, they couldn't care less. Please don't waste you time applying at this company. It's not worth the stress!
Pros
i loved most of my coworkers.
Cons
management sucks, long hours, no breaks, pay sucks, not appreciated for a job well done
Great company with good core values
Practice Administrator (Current Employee) –  South Carolina regionAugust 17, 2015
I currently manage two dental offices and support three doctors. I oversee about 40 team members and help make sure each office and staff are reaching there goals. I handle any HR issue and do the recruiting for the offices. I enjoy the interaction I have with being in the offices. I make sure the business team is trained and feel comfortable. I also help the clinical side. I used to be a dental assistant at one time so I don't mind jumping in when needed. I spend a lot of time traveling to and from the offices, classes, career fairs and meetings. The hardest part of my job is wearing so many hats at times.
Pros
reimbursement for travel and meals
Cons
extreme travel
Dental Assistant
Dental Assisting (Former Employee) –  Alton ILNovember 23, 2014
Heartland only care about the bottom line which is production and not the quality of care the patients get. Doctors can be rude and disrespectful to patient and nothing will be done even management are told . Dental Assistants are considered to be nothing because the are not the ones that produce only Doctors and Hygenist produce so they can show up to work late everyday and not be respectful of patients time. Practice administrators are hire because they have family and friends in the company not because of qualifications. If your office doesn't do well because of the previous Dentist you never bonus and don't get raises even if you came to work everyday did a great job!
Greatful for having a job
Dental Office Assistant - Business Assistantental (Current Employee) –  Lake Havasu City, AZDecember 2, 2014
I have learned a lot while working here and am very great full I have a job. I love working with the Public. Management is good, I feel the owner does not care much city regulations, such as permits etc.. I would like there to be some type of advancement at my current job. There is nothing really hard about my job, I enjoy what I do, I would like to move on and learn new things. I worked in the Medical field before working here I really enjoyed the patients.
Pros
working with the public
Cons
no room for advancement
Patient focused environment
Practice Administrator / Class Presenter (Former Employee) –  Effingham, ILSeptember 22, 2015
Create buy-in and trust with Doctors, Team and Patients by being present and building relationships as a liaison with the company.
I have learned that failure is not a loss. It's a gain, I have learned, I will change and I will grow.
Co-workers, my team, a group of individuals that support each other, without them I wouldn't be able to survive.
Hardest part of my job is unable to met the need of an individuals.
Most enjoyable part of the job, making a difference.
Pros
Being educated and educating others, Paying forward
Lacking leadership
Dental Hygienist (Current Employee) –  Oak Creek, WIMay 13, 2015
I struggled with very poor leadership and almost no communication from corporate to the "peons". Offer extensive continuing education within the company but will not help pay for any outside CE courses. Very difficult to speak to anyone higher up in the company, as phone messages/emails are not returned in a timely manner. Extremely frustrating experience for me. This is very much a production based company, as quality dentistry is not important in this office.
great mentoring available
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  marylandFebruary 9, 2015
always more to learn, stable work environment, honest management team, dependable team, and loving co-workers. The hardest part about the job is the level of expectancy. Have to fill in wherever the team is short and still not let your task fall to the side.
Pros
room to grow with the company
Cons
hardly ever a lunch break, long days, calls/ text/ emails after hours, very demanding doctors
Good Dental Company
Dental Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Lake Havasu City, AZDecember 11, 2012
Love working for Heartland Dental. Had a very good experience with them. Wonderful learning experience, very knowledgeable and patient with new employee's . The management at Lake View left a bitter taste in my mouth, no pun intended.Working 10 hr days not a good thing, left little time for family and friends Loved the way of putting patients first and the structure of there philosophy.
Pros
working as a team
Cons
long hours.
Don't waste your time
dental assistant (Former Employee) –  mdSeptember 29, 2014
The management is terrible. They only worry about the bottom line. You, as an employee, are only an expense to the office. They send you home if they can justify it and do not care if you aren't getting the hours you need to survive. Corporate and manager pick favorites. If you aren't on their VIP list, you are basically the scum on the bottom of their shoes.
Pros
great educational opportunities
Cons
everything
Focused on building relationships and getting results
Manager (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 14, 2015
We are focused on building relationships and getting results. The company believes in investing in the personal and professional development of all team members. It is a team environment designed to help each other succeed. The harderst part of the job is the travel. Any managment position requires travel. The most enjoyable part of the job is making a difference in someone's life. Helping others achieve what they are capable of is rewarding.
Pros
professional development
Cons
lots of travel
Dental Business
Experienced Practice Administrator (Former Employee) –  Effingham, ILOctober 1, 2015
Everyone always has that one job that just didn't go well. That was my experience at Heartland. I relocated for them. They dangled a promotion in front of me promising me that by a certain date I would be able to advance. The advancement never happened. I asked for support multiple times and was left without any.
Productive workplace with updated equipment.
Registered Dental Hygienist (Former Employee) –  Antioch, TNJune 30, 2014
A typical day at work is to have a full and busy fun productive day. All staff members have been there for years, meaning the turn over is low. Happy and energetic office with great patients.
Pros
team trips were planned after end of the year goals have been meet.
Cons
short breaks due to the high volume of patients.
Walk away now! Dishonest and shady company.
Business Assistant (Former Employee) –  midwestMarch 23, 2013
Worst company I have ever worked for in my twenty years of medical/dental experience. Very demanding with little reward. Management likes to be little those beneath them. Very dishonest company that does not value their employees. In fact they changed their Indeed company name because the reviews rated them a one.
Workplace
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, INAugust 27, 2015
Typical dental office position, in the corporate world and you definitely feel the corporate hold on it. I have learned much about dental/medical office things, computers etc.

There is no promotion available to me, I am young and stuck in the position I am in, partially due to the limited areas to promote and some of it to do with my management above me.
good company
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooksville, FLSeptember 5, 2013
i like working with the dentist place it was a very fun environment. i did a lot of travel with this company and meet a lot of great people all over the state. I worked with the IT department and getting all the computers set up in the office and digital xray machine set up.
Pros
lot of travel, fun people
Cons
did not pay well.
Fufilling work environment
Patient Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Effingham, ILSeptember 29, 2015
Relaxed atmosphere with a very good management team that had high expectations. Offered great support and communication within the team. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help out so many patients in need.
its a job until you can find something better!
cda (Current Employee) –  floridaJanuary 30, 2015
Severely overworked, nothing they promise is true - hardly any lunch break jamming everything into the schedule they are about production and the bottom line not patient care. Practice administrator lies and backstabs.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
everything else
Productive and Interesting Work Place
Office Manager/Practice Administrator (Former Employee) –  Effingham, ILOctober 10, 2012
My co-workers were great. Overall a great company to be employeed by.
Pros
daytime hours, doctors were pleasant to work with
Cons
never knew if you were going to have to stay past closing for a patient or event.