Heartland Express Employee Reviews

Heartland
Driver (Former Employee) –  North Liberty, IAAugust 25, 2016
This is a good company to work for probably the best I have had next to UPS they care obout their employees and make sure to the best of there ability to get you home on time or if there is a family emergency
Horrible
Driver Local (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAAugust 14, 2016
I was a local driver with Gordon Trucking Inc .Heartland took over and now they have done away with the daycabs and put what few drivers left in sleepers . We were told this is not a lay off we could drive regional or otr 3 days notice....Wow really !!
Pros
trucks run ok
Cons
long hours no overtime for hourly drivers no trailers
Not enough miles to make a living
Truck Driver (OTR) (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAAugust 2, 2016
Company wants you to stay out 2 weeks (1) time per month. They prefer you to drive at night. Good benefits, dispatchers all have attitudes and hard to deal with.
Don't apply here
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 28, 2016
Was running Florida region--FL GA AL S CAROLINA
Was only out of FL twice in the month I worked there.....no miles.
Found a local job paying hourly and I know I can make more this way.
I wouldn't suggest Heartland. Recruiter lied as did the web site for telling about the miles I would get. Told me 2000-2200 per week.
Best I ever saw was 1600.
That week my GPS showed 2000 but I was only paid for the 1600. Called payroll about it and they said they just pay city to city and they don't tell us how to go. I said "neither does anybody else!"
Pros
APU on the International truck
Cons
Spring ride trucks (really). No miles. Lied about miles
Poor management
Former driver (Former Employee) –  Segoville,txJuly 24, 2016
Could never get my dm to get my trk. In for service then they pulled me outta of perfectly good trk, put me n a trk that had front tires problems, need to listen to drivers more.
Safety oriented at expense of of drivers miles.
Driver (Current Employee) –  N. Liberty, IaMay 18, 2016
If you are into sitting around waiting, this is your company. If it snows in Madison, Wi expect them to shut down driving in the whole state for half a day. You are already driving a slow truck ,the company takes decision making out of drivers hands as to when it's safe to move. If you can, avoid going to yards because you will be stuck in mandatory inspection line. Even if you avoid yards they will route you thru every 7000 mi so you can spend half the day getting truck pm'd.. This company is more safety oriented than customer and driver satisfaction. Had customer say they avoid our company if it snows because they never know when they will get their product.
Pros
Nice new equipment. Clean facilities
Cons
Likes to micromanage drivers
they are a decent company but there is no advancement
Regional Company Driver (Current Employee) –  Liberty, IAMay 8, 2016
overall a decent company they need to listen to drivers more and have opputunities for advancement they don't have a pet policy you don't have choices for the truck or your dispatcher and truck and dispatcher is always changing
Driver Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 9, 2016
unable to give a positive review at this time
expectation unreasonable
co-workers favorable
management weak
not compensate for overtime
great pay
class A truck driver (Current Employee) –  North Liberty, IAMarch 18, 2016
Really like heartland the pay is great and the trucks are well maintained along with the trailers. the staff is very nice and will work with you, overall a great place to work.
Pros
good pay
Cons
long time from home
Good People
Driver (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 3, 2016
Really enjoyed the company very friendly I just wanted a job that I could be home more often so I found a local job. I was a regional driver in the southeast.
Pros
Great people great manager
Be warned!!!
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 26, 2016
If you like working yourself to death for peanuts then this is the job for you! They don't care about you at all they work you over your 14 hour clock as often as possible for short runs. Home time good luck salary is the only way you'll make decent home time and even then it's for 34 hours only if not shorter. They dock your pay and penalize you for anything they see fit regardless of circumstances. The only upside is you have 20 mile per limit a day to go where you need to and take care of errands. Management is crooked and they lie to your face while taking advantage of your situation behind your back. Everything started off great and after awhile they just eased into making it terrible for the driver. Good luck on your job search!
Pros
20 mile per day personal drive time
good job
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 20, 2016
Not a bad job to start of at, grate for some one who is fresh in the Feld its jiffy lube for big semis, oil grease, tires, brakes
Pros
They know how to show you that you are paert of the team and appriciate you
Cons
you only get a lunch no brakes 30 min lunch no brake
Great stable place to work
Planning Supervisor and Trainer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 15, 2016
Great place to gain and grow your industry knowledge. Your only limited by their compensation. You will be able to learn about all aspects of the business if you apply yourself. The only issues I ever had were the amount of hours versus the amount of pay.
Not a good place to wrk
OTR TRUCK DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 12, 2016
If money is what you seek dont work here if you like to sit for hrs an hrs work here not my cup of tea could not wait to leave mgmt did not care about the driver
Pros
NOTHING
Cons
DOWN TIME
Productive work place
employee (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 11, 2016
Excellent company to work for. They care about there people from the office staff to the drivers. The pay could be better.
Pros
The management teams are great people
Cons
alot of hours
Secure company what is stuck in the 70's
FedEx Supply Chain Supervisor Night Shift (Former Employee) –  North Liberty, IADecember 4, 2015
This a company that you have little to no chance for promotion unless you are a family member. Any and all mid level manager "Promotions" are lateral and do not lead to increases in pay just more hours at the office. Off shift work allows for the greatest flexibility and opportunity to learn the nuts and bolts of the transportation industry.
Pros
New corportate office building with gym
Cons
Long hours with little to no acknowledgement for excelent work
Equipment, equipment, equipment !
Driver (Former Employee) –  Liberty, IADecember 1, 2015
Company really needs to get with the times on standard features of equipment. (No air bag sytem drop?) C'mon man ! Cheap versions of international's & freightliner's. I can see why your "debt free". To bad no one else is. Not nearly enough trailer's either. Should have twice as many as they do now. No one enjoys wasting time running around looking for an empty trailer so they can move on with next load..!
Pros
SALARY DECENT.
Cons
POOR EQUIPMENT & NOT ENOUGH OF IT.
a good company to work for
Certified OTR Driver (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 26, 2015
pick-up and delivery of cargo in the south east and metro Atlanta.
customer service skills with on time delivery and pick-up and vehicle maintenance and inspection for safety and cleanliness.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Vary bad!!
Driver (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, PANovember 15, 2015
VARY VARY BAD!! Worked here for 5 days when i added up my millage I found Heartland Express was clipping me for 20% when i told them if your going to get me for 20% you might as well rout me home. Heartlands response was "OK" the next day i was home unemployed LOL If your going to take advantage of me i require Salid and some Wine thank you vary much.
Pros
Under staffed so you have lots of work
Cons
Will not be compensated for said work
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 15, 2015
Always told your next job 2-3 days ahead of time.

Rarely any downtime between jobs.

Great management at getting you home time.

No APUs on the trucks, the idle temperatures are crazy can not idle the trucks

Sick time / injury they only allow 2 weeks reguardless if you have doctors stating you need 3-6months of therapy needed 3 times a week
Pros
Good Home time
Cons
Sick time is short they start the day you stop.... even if you have to travel to get home

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Heartland Express. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8