Heartland Express Employee Reviews

loved seeing new faces every day
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Poplar Bluff, MOJuly 18, 2017
Great boss. Would take time to talk to you and see where things could be improved. Would give credit where it was due. Always willing to stay and help out
Productive and fun place to work with a ping pong table
Professional driver [ O T R ] (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 9, 2017
It was good with the exception of being out over the road most of the time. As soon as I was wrapping up to have home time, the manager supervisor is on the phone calling and asking "When ya gonna be back on the truck again?" Which is business however, don't drive your drivers nuts. When they are home and exhausted from the road and deserve the off-time, let them relax. Lots of dangers on the road though. Fatigue sets in when you're out too much. So it's good to get the rest and drink enough pure water.
Pros
All fuel paid for, sometimes enough fuel points for free coffee.
Cons
Short home and rest time, you don't always sleep well on the road, companies seem to screw drivers out of money at times, if you aren't careful.
Been with Heartland for 22 years.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 8, 2017
They keep a relatively new and we'll maintained fleet of trucks and trailers. Fleet manager has always been fair and professional. Good pay and weekly home time. A lot of drop and hook freight with driver friendly shippers . Financially secure company. Safety is a top priority. If you are not a driver who makes delivery appointments on a timely basis, you will not last here. They want quality service to the customers as it should be. Do your job and you will enjoy working for Heartland as I have for 22 years. Also now have detention pay.
Pros
Detention pay, new equipment, financially secure.
Cons
Ocassional night driving
Friendly work place
Driver (Former Employee) –  North Liberty, IAJuly 7, 2017
Friendly work place long hrs but good hard work and it pays off this is a good company to start up with and you could go far just sometimes difficult loads and not the correct info
I was very happy.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, Ga.June 20, 2017
Nice place to work. I worked there and and was very happy because I was home every weekend and that made the wife very happy, the money was good and the wife could ride with me so that made it even better.
One of the better trucking companies to work for
Regional Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 5, 2017
Heartland Express has well maintained and newer equipment. They strive to continue to be competitive and profitable in a volatile transportation market.
Pros
Fair pay for where you run
Cons
Don't always stay within your dedicated region
All about the dollars
Driver (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 24, 2017
These guys are very cheap, they'd rather you drive 100 miles through back country roads through little towns sharp turns steep hills through school zones sharing tiny roads with horse and buggy Amish than let you get on a toll road doubling your drive time and fatigue. That's dangerous putting the dollar ahead of safety. The loads are short and spaced out so you get plenty of bunk time which is fine im okay with that, trucks do not have window curtains to block out the suns heat so you get to sit in a hot truck, no idle bunk a/c units don't work very well on a hot day. Trucks do not have hood mirrors so you can't see cars riding in your blind spot definitely putting the dollar ahead of safety. Home time requests are ignored, you'll have to fight and argue but they'll get you home a day or two after your requested time
Pros
Its a job
Cons
No concern for the driver
Good place to drive for
Driver (Current Employee) –  North Liberty, IAMay 13, 2017
I still currently work here but I am looking for more home time as I have young kids. Been a good job and experience al around. Dispatch works well and communicates often, are understanding of home needs as long as you're upfront and notify them ahead of time. Pay has been good and on time, any issues have been handled as soon as I've brought them up. Would honestly stay if not needed at home more by family.
Pros
Good pay and working experience
Cons
Gets tiring and loney away from home so ong
May 15, 2017

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We hope we can continue to be the right fit for your career, though understand that family comes first.

All the best,

May 15, 2017

Thanks for your kind words. We appreciate our drivers and the incredibly challenging work that they do across the country. Our fleet is the key to our company's success.

We understand that family comes first. If you're open to it, perhaps we could find you an option with more home time? While we're not authorized by Indeed to post phone numbers, please feel welcome to reach out to the Driver Communications team.
-Rob at Heartland Express

Hit or miss with this company
South East Regional Driver (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNMay 8, 2017
It's the trucking industry, so it's nothing too special. Just don't get in an accident. It's seems like accidents are the quickest way to get let go.

You will work outside your area.

Seems like only my dispatcher was the only one that I was okay speaking with.

Talking to every one else on the phones here is like talking to someone from the IRS or Student Loans place....

Too many numbers to call for questions.
Pros
Dispatchers, people you work with. Pay was okay
Cons
Talking to after hours, safety or any one that's not a dispatcher.
May 15, 2017

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We always strive to be improving, so we'd look forward to better serving your needs.

If you're open to sharing more information, you're welcome to call us or send us a private Facebook message.

All the best,

Leaders in the Trucking Industry
Driver (Former Employee) –  North Liberty, IAApril 25, 2017
As an industry, trucking presents many challenges to drivers. Hometime, pay, equipment, etc, all factor into your experience. Heartland Express has great equipment, great pay, and works really hard to give their drivers quality hometime. Most customers are drop/hook and those that aren't usually load/unload in a timely manner, and for those that do not...Heartland offers a competitive lay-over pay package.
Pros
well maintained equipment, helpful management, great pay, great benefits, bonus and incentive programs
Cons
home time challenges as usual throughout the industry
Great first step into a new industry
Company Driver - Solo - OTR (Former Employee) –  North Liberty, IAApril 18, 2017
Heartland Express was the first driving opportunity that I had coming straight out of driving school. Although it wasn't a guarantee, most weekends I made it home. The dispatchers and managers were always willing to help with any issue that may have arisen. The pay was great as well as the experience.
trucks and trailers are well maintained
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  KansasApril 10, 2017
dispatcher i had worked well with me to get me home every week . i was out no longer than 14 days only real problem was i never got more than 38 hours off when i was home.
Great job
Over the Road (OTR) CDL Driver (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 9, 2017
I enjoyed working for this company. They tried to keep me in a general region but sometimes U was needed in other areas , so I had to go help out oter areas.
Pros
Pay and dispatcher
Cons
Did not always get to go home as promised
Not a bad company to start with
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDApril 6, 2017
Began my career OTR with Gordon after they had been acquired by Heartland. Had a good trainer and a pleasant experience getting on the road. To a man, every single driver I spoke with told me the company was much better before the acquisition. I obviously don't have any other experience to compare my time with HLX to, but from what I've seen pay appears to be decent; I was making .43 CPM on my one year anniversary with the company.

Driver payroll seems to be where their money goes, because aside from that the company is ridiculously cheap. My first truck was an old Gordon Freightliner and it had all sorts of bells and whistles. My second was a newer Heartland and was as bare bones as could be. The day the acquisition was completed the Porta Potties immediately disappeared from every single terminal and drop yard; that alone tells you a lot. When I quit, the company would have charged me a 500 dollar "abandonment fee" if I had left my truck at my home terminal, even with full two weeks notice given. Instead I was required to leave the truck at a terminal almost 1,000 miles away and was given no sort of assistance, monetary or otherwise, getting back home.

I had a good driver manager left over from Gordon days who tried hard to do right by drivers in the face of Heartland's changes. Had a couple minor disagreements and was a day or so late for time off every once in a while, but for the most part did right by me. A lot of the other dispatchers were fairly clueless. Had three different fleet managers due to the Gordon churn but they were all great, really three of the best
  more... bosses I've ever had at any job.

Trucks are governed at 64 mph. Try to avoid terminals during the business day, as you can wait in one of their inspection lanes for HOURS (not exaggerating) with your clock running down. Also, if you don't like driving in adverse conditions you're in luck! Heartland issues a mandatory weather related shutdown any time a strong breeze blows or a snowflake touches the ground. They also use the lane departure system, which will blare in your ears testing itself every time you hit the power to the truck. Heartland is definitely about safety.

Was more or less content with the company, I left due to a lack of length and variation in routes. Runs are mostly short to medium haul, so you'll be dealing with shippers/receivers regularly. If you're a driver out west you'll stay out west, and if you're a driver in the east you'll stay in the east. Due to the dozens of 14 foot trailers the company is buying to appease the Georga Pacific account, Denver is basically the Berlin Wall for any driver hoping to get to the opposite side of the country. I only made it east every three months or so, even after switching to a full 48 fleet, and only when I deliberately asked for something going that way. Specifically if you're OTR out west you'll basically just go in and out of California, so if you live west of the plains and don't like the Golden State, this is not the company for you. A large majority of their western freight just runs up and down I-5.

Not a bad starter company overall and they may well have what you're looking for, but as with any situation there will be positives and negatives.
Pros
Will mostly keep you moving, won't hassle you if you're working hard.
Cons
Lack of variation in routes. Beyond driver pay, company is quite cheap.
Poor management
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 3, 2017
Extremely family unfriendly. Travel to a 5 state area was expected weekly. Great service as a company, but not enough compensation to lose contact with family.
May 15, 2017

We're sorry to see your message. It would appear that the expectations of the position were not clearly communicated from our team and understand that could be frustrating.

Some divisions have a wider travel range than others. Consequently, they have differing home time arrangements. If you're open to it, we could seek out a better option for you. You're welcome to privately message us on Facebook, if that works.

poor communication or compassion
Planner (Current Employee) –  Pacific, WAApril 2, 2017
a typical day consists of lots of confusion, micro managing and one boss not knowing what the next one is doing/wanting. people are very short and abrassive in communication. benefits are poor and im paying more then ever for medical. one the medical benefit, the companys medical doesnt cover much and you always pay for something. they have no perks and recently water and coffee dispensers were even taken away. if you want long hours, mandatory weekend work and have to work many years to get another benefit this place might be what you are looking for. only pro i can say is the location. dont get me wrong, there are some really neat people that work there. but an awful lot of workers have left. the company says they pride themselves in treating employees right. but so far its been far from it. even when a person of high status came to the office. they didnt even take the time to say hello or meet folks they hadnt met.
Pros
location
Cons
benefits, no perks, attitude and how people are talked too
driver job
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  North Liberty, IAMarch 28, 2017
its a good job. I have no regrets about working here. The people are hard working. The routes were good. I worked out of oregon and didnt get overtime that was not ideal.
Descent company, bad managment
Driver (Former Employee) –  Seagoville, TXMarch 8, 2017
trucks are constantly in the shops, managment need better training and cummunication with drivers. was asked several time by driver manager to do something that was impoosible or illegal
No miles and will take your earned money
Class A Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  KansasMarch 2, 2017
Buyer beware! This company has no problems deducting money from your runs by not giving you the promised things during a run. I was based out if the Phoenix terminal and both the Manager and Dispatcher were very much into backstabbing their drivers. They have a HIGH turnover rate. When you took your earned time off, they punished and made you wait longer to get a run, usually 2 additional days. I never quit a company due to literally not liking my job until this outfit! I made it almost 6 months, which is 2 months longer than most
Very Good company to work for
Class A South Central Regional driver (Former Employee) –  Olive Branch, MSFebruary 27, 2017
I was pleased with my driver management team. I just didn't feel that driving for weeks at a time was the right fit for me. I had many enjoyable miles and the opportunity to meet many new people. Overall I am very pleased with the company.
Pros
Good home time, and ability to plan drive times accordingly
Cons
Truck is in the shop a lot. therefore limited to miles driven for each week

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Heartland Express. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8