HEB Employee Reviews

Found 2,279 reviews matching the search
Overall a positive place to grow as a dependable partner
Produce Associate (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXDecember 2, 2016
There is plenty of opportunity of advancement. There are quarterly raises as well as first come, first serve to the jobs that open up in your store. The overall vibe I got from co-workers was usually always easy going but stress was also common due to such a large amount of us attending school as well as starting to have to pay all their living expenses. I enjoyed the freedom to work on my own and differentiate my work once I was promoted to the produce department of the store.
Pros
Room for advancement, pay, raises
Cons
hour availability (part-time)
Overall excellent company to work for.
Business Center Rep (Current Employee) –  Mathis, TXNovember 15, 2016
The opportunity to grow is endless. I started off at the very bottom and worked my way up to the lead stature when the opportunity was available. You need professionalism and determination to move on up the company career ladder.
The partners I have come to know have made my work experience very memorable. I am fortunate to have made friendships with many people from all sorts of backgrounds.
The hardest part of my job would be handling excessive amounts of cash in the office and balancing while having to multitask.
Most enjoyable would be seeing gratitude for your work and feeling appreciated.
Fast past environment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 26, 2016
There is never a dull moment when you work at HEB. You are always being productive. Being courteous to customers and learning how to communicate better is what I got out of working for HEB. Management and co-workers were always fun to work with. Hardest part of the job was having to organize their groceries when they wanted it all to fit in the paper bags. Most enjoyable part of the job was down time with the employees.
Pros
Making new friends
Cons
Not really any I can think of.
Partners were always pretty nice.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Spring, TX 77373October 24, 2016
A typical day at work felt like a chore. I learned that it is hard to depend on everyone because not everyone may know how to help. Management for HEB was terrible. All the managers would stay in the office laughing and rarely ever helped in the front. The times that they did help they gave the customers attitudes. The ha about my job was trying to always have a happy attitude. There were times that I was completely exhausted and tried my hardest to hold on until my shift ended. I enjoyed getting to know my co-workers and a lot of the customers. The customers were just as much of family as my co-workers felt.
Pros
Discounts and free items
Cons
Stressful shifts and sometimes extra work
Family oriented awesome place to work but no room for advancement
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 18, 2016
but no room for advancement, been working for the company for the past 22 years service management is awesome equal opportunity is 100% very customer service oriented and family always comes first Management team very diverse and always on top of training employees
Pros
Great employee incentives
Cons
No room for advancement and no PA salary increase
Only a great job if your service director is willing to be flexible
Checker (Current Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXDecember 5, 2016
Heb is a great place to work in high school and college, they are stingy with full time, they act like it does not exist. If you have great coworkers and are on the good side with your managers you should have a good day. As long as you make friends on the job you can last there for a great while, the money is great. Raises twice a year til you reach the max amount. 10% off some products. Some hebs are more flexible than some, to say the least and all hebs are not the same. On busy days, breaks are late...sometimes you have to ask for it. They are to be every two hours but some managers dont care. Others departments might suit you better so move around before you think about leaving.
Pros
The paycheck
Cons
Doing twice the amount of work when short staffed
the coworkers were always in a good mood never brought people down wold up lift someone who is not in a the best mood.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Spring, TXOctober 6, 2016
when ever there was a situation the managment wuld lways do there best to resolve it in the way that both parties are hurd and treated the same. we would have to alwys be on our best because they would have secret shoppers who wold see how you are handing diffrent situations
Pros
flexiable hours
Cons
sometimes there was favoritism
Fun, Friendly, Small town feel
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Luling, TXSeptember 30, 2016
I loved working at HEB. My coworkers were goofy, and friendly, but also knew when to keep it professional. A typical day at work was usually pretty steady. There was definitely a BIG lunch rush but we all worked together to give the customers fast, friendly service. when it got slow there was still something for us to do. we'd help eachother bag orders, fill cases, or bag racks. The atmoshpere was great! we were all pretty close-knit. It was a pretty laid-back place, again we still kept it professional. The customers were usually fairly kind and patient and after a while you would learn not just their faces, but their names and so on. all in all i loved working in a small town store.
Work
Asst. Grocery Mgr. (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXDecember 1, 2016
I worked the Night shift and also an early morning shift. The main things I did were stocking shelves, building displays and ordering product for the store. I liked the bond we all had and how hard and how well we all worked together to reach a common goal. The people I worked with were great even the management was good. If it hadnt been for a motorcycle accident I would still probably be working there.
Pros
The People
Safety hazard
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 3, 2016
The job overall was terrific the occasion customer was avoidable as long as you complied and made sure they knew you were understanding and trying to help. Safety was one of my concerns. The security that patrolled were mostly outside on their phone or talking to someone inside. Walking to your car at night would be frightening. Cameras outside didn't work.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Securit
Productive and fun work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edinburg, TXSeptember 19, 2016
HEB provided me with the opportunity to gain experience working in a variety of departments. I was able to enhance my social skills and was able to learn a variety of positions through out the company. My co-workers were easy to work with and made my job fun and entertaining. Working at HEB provided me with an educational experience in the work force. If I were to return to Texas, I would definitely want to go back to work for a great company like HEB.
Pros
great team members; great benefits; excellent management team
Cons
none at the moment
Do not take a part time job at H.E.B. - they will never hire you F/T.
CSR / Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXSeptember 20, 2016
Do not take a part time job at H.E.B. - they will never hire you F/T. I was hired P/T even though I applied for F/T position listed on their website. I worked 39 1/2 hours a week for a year... then when they should have hired me due to the "40 hours a week" I had for one year.. they found a lame excuse to "release" me. They fought paying me unemployment. I asked for a appeal and the TWC said they "released" me for a non-discipline reason. I got the unemployment but it was 2 months before I got it....
Pros
More pay than Kroger
Cons
No advancement unless you are in Management!!!
productive, good place to start out
Lvl 3 Fryer Operator / TWI Coordinater (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 22, 2016
3 rotating shifts, 24 hour plant operations.

typical day starts with team meeting followed by a light stretch work out. management is clear in whats expecte, they listen to what has to be said. hardest part of the day is is only when equipment breaks down. besides that smooth all the way around
Pros
free chips company past for uniforms, good benefits
Cons
limited on the amount of overtime you can work
H-E-B is actually the best company I've worked for. They are an energized company that strives for customer satisfaction. Managers are goal driven.
Business Center Representative (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 16, 2016
Personallly, I love working for H-E-B but I recent situation has me working in a new position. This position is an over-night sticker. I'm used to working with customers and providing excellent customer service. The position that I am now working has really put an inconvenience in my life and I would really like to find a job that I can work though the day. With my 2 and a half years with H-E-B I never had a problem with working there, until now.
Pros
Great working experience, breaks and lunches, nice break room, frequent employee events, savings
Cons
Shift hours
Good Company
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 25, 2016
I did enjoy my time with this company, until the end. I just wish I had been treated better when I left.

Obviously, I did learn a lot... leadership, providing great customer service, teamwork, organizing and planning, among other skills relevant to the retail world.

The best part of my job, were my co-workers and my direct supervisors. I was able to develop a great friendship with all of them.
Heb has its pros and cons.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mercedes, TXSeptember 16, 2016
Started off as a bagger then cashier then business center. There is a lot of room to grow. They work with schedules so this is a good job for students. Pay was handsome and weekly. I made a mistake in business center and it caused me greatly. Benefits got taken away and work became miserable. Gotta have a lot of customer service passion to want to stay in this job.
Pros
Free stuff every now and then, high pay weekly, they tend to hire outgoing fun people
Cons
Breaks never on time, store is usually packed, customers often angry
amazing
Seafood and Meat Perishables/Floral Rep (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 29, 2016
good places to work
fast pace
you can grow with company with career opportunities
so many opportunities
employee involved
benefits are amazing
ability to become full-time
different positions
pay raises are decent
pay if you get hurt on the job
very competitive
knowledge about business grows while working for this company
Pros
3 breaks, good benifits
Cons
Bakery Department Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 18, 2016
HEB was a great place to work, management to an interest in staffing. The compensation was excellent, I would have never left but after much discussion with my husband we thought it best for me to stay home and care for our young daughter. Unfortunately, due to some unexpected financial expense I needed to return to the workforce.
Pros
Benefits and compensation
Cons
Work life balance and work many holidays
Productive and fun place to work at
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXDecember 7, 2016
helping customers face to face.
there was always work heb provided me a chance to cross -train to other departments. at the end helped me get my 40 hours seeing it was only part-time.
i crossed train to 8 departments allowing me to work with different styles of management.It helped me feel more comfortable coming to work each day knowing i just learned a new skill.
Amazing managers, great employees, and a fun atmosphere
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Waxahachie, TXSeptember 9, 2016
Working at H.E.B was a great experience, I learned to communicate with the managers in a professional level and learned the value of teamwork along with customer service. The moment we clocked in it was straight to work, everything was fast paced, but it made the time go by. Employees were more like friends and family, no one was a stranger we all got along and looked out for one another. The managers worked with our schedule and understand when life got in the way.
Pros
Fun atmosphere, great managers, good pay
Cons
No overtime, no insurance unless you became fulltime

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HEB. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2