HELIX ELECTRIC Employee Reviews in United States

Loved Working There
(Operator) Forklift, Scissor lift, Rough Terrain (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 25, 2016
Wish the job never stopped. They took care of there Employees and made sure everyone was paid well with benefit's. All Equipment was always up to date and worked properly.
Pros
BBQ's and Gift' regularly
Cons
Long Hours
This is why unions exist
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 27, 2013
Worked at Helix for 10+ years. No chance of advancement due to poor upper management that take your ideas and call them their own. They have prevailing wage butt will work you part time as to not have to give you full time bennies. They will dangle carrots to get you to work free overtime and give you the shaft on pay day every time. Verry little oppertu nities for OT and even if you get some they will only pay you for some and not all as to not go "over budjet" . The only advancement that they offer is to take on more responsibility for no additional compensation and all you get is set up to fail with no support from the office and then punished for not making 25% on a job that was underbid by a million $. Upper management creates a hostile work environment and will find the guys that have mortgages and young families and use it against them to get free overtime with threats of private work (1/2 pay of PW) and lay off.
Pros
a pay check
Cons
threats, hostile environment, poor upper management, no chance of advancement
Not for newcomers to the trade
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Chantilly, VAFebruary 24, 2014
Positives? Pretty much all of the workers were very helpful and fun to work with and I learned a lot. But as for the negatives my superintendent would constantly hang the possibility of me losing my job over my head and he was really condescending and petty. To him all I was, was another person to produce "big numbers" not taking into account my experience or the in between work that doesn't show up on the time sheet at the end of the day. As an apprentice I did just as much work if not more the some of the journeyman on the job did and didn't get paid half as much as them. Management treats u like trash and expects you to bend over backwards for them and do it perfectly. There are better ways to gain experience and helix is just not worth the headache...
Pros
benefits, free schooling, cool co workers
Cons
underpay their apprentice, unrealistic expectations, rude managers and superintendents
Great one on one with my supervisor.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAOctober 16, 2014
Typical day at work was walk into my supervisors office and he would advise me of my secretary duties of the day. I would print out important documents, file old and new paperwork, print out labels, fax, answer incoming calls, make outgoing call and clean the office. I learned a lot about blueprints and how to print out labels. I did not have any co-workers, I was the only one in the office. The most challenging part of the job was not having co-worker as I was used to working in call center environment filled with co-workers. The most enjoyable part of my job was working for my supervisor.
Pros
free lunches.
Cons
no health benefits
Hostile Work Enviroment
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKJune 4, 2013
Very Big on Safety, which is a plus plus. Hard, fast paced work, which is also good. Management tends to fly off the handle and belittle coworkers infront of other coworkers and in an unfriendly manner, very unprofessional and often, especially if you do not make quotas. Some are intimidated by management to come in early or stay late without compensation or empty promises. Workers told to do things a certain way by management and then later coming back to tell them they did not tell them to do things that way, along with more intimidation. Apprentices are paid a less wage than journeyman and expected to do the same work. Money is good. Bennefits are out of california, not so good. Coworkers are awesome to put up with management or mismanagement I should say. Management also does not give a !@#$ about your problems and will tell it to your face, in front of god and everyone. Management should treat thier employees like an investment not a tool.
Pros
paycheck
Cons
stress, headaches, muscle tension, not knowing your own job anymore after years of experience.
Educational work environment with professional and supportive management.
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 29, 2015
The prefab warehouse is a great place to start your electrical engineering career. You get to learn all the basics of becoming an electrician and what it takes to power a resident and/or commercial building all in a fun but safe workplace. Safety 1st is always the approach to everything in the electrical field so paying extremely close attention to details is essential, therefore the repetitive instructions of safety procedures are nagging but necessary.
Pros
Very educational
Cons
Short breaks
challenging work place
journeyman electrician (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 23, 2016
You have to know your trade or learn fast to sustain a long term relationship with this company. It a exciting fast paced company that gives you the ability to learn knew things every day
Great Company - Learning Experiences - Safety Culture
Various Positions (Current Employee) –  HawaiiSeptember 4, 2014
I work with many different superintendents and employees. Because of the nature of construction we have many different types of people to work with and for, and it takes adjusting for each one of them.

A few things I would say about working for Helix (or any company). Helix is in business to make money. Working for Helix means I am in it for Helix to make money too. If I only am worried about my paycheck, and not the success of the company I work for, then I will not last long. It is a mutually beneficial relationship. Helix pays my paycheck and gives me benefits, I work to do quality work, save time and money, and work safely.

Many of the other reviews I am reading make some generalizations based on individual personality clashes, and attribute their problems to Helix. From my experience, Helix is very open to suggestions and seeks to resolve problems as a whole. There may be some individuals who haven't caught the vision, but overall, the company is very supportive.
Pros
great benefits, safety culture, quality projects that you can be proud of, great learning environment, great craftsmen, commitment to excellence, training opportunities, leadership development
Cons
construction jobs come and go, layoffs at times, fast paced (too fast for some), easy to get stuck in one position when trying to advance
Poor management
journeyman (Former Employee) –  san joseJanuary 28, 2013
Work compensation fraud, time card fraud so they can save money on jobs. They try to have union ways on paper , actual in the field are entirely diffrent.
Pros
if you have no hours good place to get you hours.
Cons
no fair wages, dont learn anything extra than what you already know
helix
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 1, 2014
its a great place to work good pay and great people to work around
Pros
lots of work
Cons
benifits
Run away!!!
Journeyman Electrician (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 27, 2014
only concerned about making money, NO benefits, NO PTO, NO room to advance unless your dad is a big name in company, NO respect. PAY is HORRIBLE!!!
only here because they do have work....
Pros
some good field emploees
Cons
everything else
underpaid,no skill electricians.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  San Diego,CAMay 17, 2013
No benefits unless you pay for it. Unskill electricians. Hire anyone off the street with a resume, we all know anyone can make a resume look good. If they realy care they would join a union.
Construction site with office trailer
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAApril 18, 2015
Receiving and routing the phone to correct people. Maintaining materials such as forms, vouchers, manuscripts, reports, correspondence in proper formats with accuracy. Preparing reports and letters for correspondence. Faxed documents to clients, printed blueprints. Organized and maintained the office.
My supervisor was amazing, we had a great working relationship. I did not have any co-workers at this job, I was the secretary for the supervisor. The hardest part of the job was not having co-workers, since I am so used to working with others. Most enjoyable part of the job was my supervisor provided lunch for me everyday!
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
No co-workers
The real Safety Coordinator March 2014
3rd party Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Southwest regionMarch 16, 2014
As I was only a temp 3rd party employee, I cannot speak for Helix as a whole. My time spent working was a great learning experience. I was immediately useful to the safety culture at Helix.

I was involved with 3 projects, all in the solar industry. The management I was involved with worked diligently in regards to safety. I made great strides to get the involvement of some individuals to "buy" into the culture of safety and it's role in the new construction work place.

I was very fortunate to be part of a company that is growing not only a culture of safety but in an industry that is relevant and positive for the environment.
Pros
co-workers, leads, management
Cons
supervision, preparation, communication
I have been layed off quite often due to work not being available.
EMT/Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 10, 2015
The long periods of time between jobs is the worst. I very much like the jobs that we do. The job knowledge that I get is great and will make me a better safety person.
Pros
When I am working there it is very rewarding and my job knowledge grows
Cons
The layoffs and the long spands of time between layoffs and no insurance.
Close to home and large commercial projects.
Commercial Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas,NevadaNovember 17, 2014
You start early, you work hard and you don't make mistakes. I learned a lot about new construction. Management was fair. Co-workers were interesting. The dirt and heat were the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was going home.
Pros
good company to work for.
Cons
rate of pay.
alright place to work when you know someone
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 28, 2013
Management sucks most of the time. I was there for like 4 years, on one project for 3 Years and another project for 9 Months. After that I went to another job for 2 weeks and got laid off and never been back. It's all about who you know for the most part you're basically just a number and that's it. If you like being a robot this will be the company for you. Just keep your head down and your mouth shut and you might last as long as I did or longer. If it weren't for the prevailing wage I would have bounced the first day!!! Lots and lots of bull and politics.
Pros
good safety program
Cons
constantly afraid you're going to lose your job
Working for Helix Electric.
QA/QC lead (Current Employee) –  Boulder city, NVJanuary 17, 2015
Working for this company has giving the opportunity to be a leader and get hands on experience in a solar field environment. Learning how to operate different types of forklifts, drive all types of trucks, and learn a little of the electrical side of the field. My current position of QA/QC lead has above all has gave me the most knowledge. I've learned how to read prints and document problems for the company. Most of the management are great people to work for.
Cons
polotics
Good Company
Pre-fab assembler, driver, 5S Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 29, 2015
The work is good, the people are good people. Management has clear goals. Helix prioritizes safety and provides all PPE and alot of quality training.
productive and fast paced work place
Journeyman electrician (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 6, 2015
A day at work here is very fast paced and productive, i learned thatfilling out production sheets make the job much more understandable. Management was great and the hardest part of the job is doing re-work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HELIX ELECTRIC. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9