Helmerich & Payne Employee Reviews

Ok company
Roustabout (Former Employee) –  Pearl, MSMay 18, 2017
Company is ok depends solely on who you know as to your experience within the company. Time and pay are very nice. Working can be quite stressful if you managed to get in on merit. It's a company that values who you know more than what you know.
Pros
Days off/Compensation
Cons
Family life
Good work environment
Fitter/Welder (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 28, 2016
At the Helmerich & Payne fabrication facility they have the building split up into bays. A,B,C,D,E, each bay has a different build. You get assigned to a area you work in with a team. The nice part about it is its not really repetitive. They have a lot of different builds that cycle through but you normally dont repeat the same thing back to back. Everyone I worked with there was easy going and helpful.
Pros
Benefits, Fair pay, Good work environment
Cons
sometimes too much overtime
loved It
motor man (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKNovember 9, 2016
This was a great job with a lot of room to move up. The amount of money you can make out in the oil field is great. It just is not a secure job with the fluctuation of oil prices but when oil prices are strong your life is great.
Pros
Money
Cons
Away from family and job security
Great pay and benefits, bad management
Shipping Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKNovember 2, 2016
H&P has very competitive pay, almost unbeatable, but the lack of actual management at the company drove me away. Promoting employees based upon how much they are liked by management, and not on their work ethic also pushed me out of the company. Promoting employees to be in charge of the warehouse, that the men in the warehouse had to train to do the job. If you can handle constantly being second best to people that do less work than you, but have a better relationship with your managers then this is the place for you.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Severe lack of management
A Day At work
Floor Hand and Motor Man (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXOctober 19, 2016
I learned better communication skills.
Long hours enjoyed working with different people and different personalities.The best part I enjoyed my job and something I was really good at.
Pros
the money was good and meet different pepole
Cons
Benifits
learn something new everyday
Rig Manager (Former Employee) –  Alice, TXOctober 10, 2016
I have five years in Management and learned more then enough in the 16 years I was with this company. Met a lot of nice people who showed me right from wrong.
Pros
good pay
Cons
time away from home
Was a good place to work for
Rig manager (Former Employee) –  Kenedy, TXAugust 15, 2016
H&P was a great place to work for back then when it was family owned and ever since H&P added investors many unfair change started happening with in the company. It was all about the investors pockets.
Pros
H&P the pay is good and the days off.
Cons
H&P family culture was out the window stopped caring about worker.
Great place to work. Friendly and family environment.
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 29, 2016
Great place to work. Friendly and family environment. Lots of restructuring lately since the downturn of the Oil and Gas Industry. Okay benefits. Vacation package sucks. Takes 5 years to get 3 weeks of vacation.
Pros
Work- Life Balance.
Cons
Oil and Gas Industry has it ups and downs. Okay benefits.
Competitive Environment, Newest technologies,
Floorman Intern (Former Employee) –  OklahomaJune 20, 2016
I had an internship summer of 2015 with H&P as a Floor hand and it was the best learning experience. They care about the safety of their employees and provide all the training needed to ensure a safe environment. Staff was amazing and kind and very patient and will answer all questions.
Valuable learning experiences
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 29, 2016
Learned a lot about the industry and business. Some departments gave advancement based on work ethic which was excellent. Ability to learn new things and assist in other areas.
Pros
Great benefits, encourages continuing education
Cons
Stability of oil and gas industry, shift in management
enjoy working on drilling rigs
Assistant Driller (Former Employee) –  TexasApril 14, 2016
I like the safety on the drilling rigs today, has improved a lot over the years ,I enjoy working on the drilling rigs. But will work anywhere , have to to survive
Used to be great
Rig Manager (Former Employee) –  Seguin, TXMarch 22, 2016
This used to be a great drilling company to work for. they cared about employees, not the bottom line. Now it's the other way around, still better than most but not as good as it used to be.
i love the oil rig
Derrickman (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 17, 2016
Great Company to work for Great pay good co workers 12HR to 16HR days for 14 days on and 14 days Off always something to do always meeting new people
Pros
good co workers
Cons
Layoffs
productive and good environment to work in
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 12, 2016
good clean work environment, analytical, worked with excel and numbers daily. Spreadsheets and systems software. Accounting, data entry, contracts, billing
Great Place
Motorman (Former Employee) –  Alice, TXMarch 9, 2016
This was my first drilling company to work for. It was amazing but at the time I didn't realize how good I had it until I left. I tried numerous times to get back on with them but it never happened.
Small family within a big one
Yard Foreman (Former Employee) –  Alice, TXFebruary 26, 2016
Always fun coming into work every morning. All the employees always in a great mood. One of the most safe, clean, and organized companies to work for.
Pros
Pay is excellent
Cons
Oil prices go down so does your job. It's part of the business.
Challenging, fast pace work environment.
Motorman (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKFebruary 24, 2016
H&P was a great company to work for with a wonderful management staff. It is a very fast paced company with plenty of chances to advance and learn new skills. Sometimes it is a struggle to keep pace but also the pace made it enjoyable and kept the hours from dragging by.
Pros
Excellent pay, housing provided
Cons
long travels to work, away from family
The best land rig drilling company
Floorman/Motor man/Derrick man (Former Employee) –  Butler, PAFebruary 18, 2016
H&P has the best rigs you will ever work on and the most motivated crews that you will ever see because of how H&P treats the employees.
High paced world of the Oilfield Industry. H&P Rocks!!
CRT Tech (Former Employee) –  All over Colorado, and WyomingFebruary 9, 2016
As big as H&P is, its a close knit, almost family environment. They care about the safety, and the welfare of their employees. They provide for almost everything you need to do your job, and to do it as safe as possible. The upper management actually knows what its like to be down in the belly of the beast. They know, because most of them started out at the bottom, and were promoted from within.
H&P was one of my best job experiences, ever!
Pros
They provide your FRC's, pay for your phone, your laundry, provided me a truck and all the tools I would need to perform my job.
Cons
A lot of time away from home.
Hard work and enjoy to out doors
Driller (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKFebruary 5, 2016
operation the rig, making sure my crew was doing what they we supposed to be doing daily. The company had really good people in the management position.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Helmerich & Payne. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4