HELP USA Employee Reviews in United States

Lack of Employee Engagement
Asst. Program Director - SSVF (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 20, 2016
Great place to cut your teeth, so to speak: massive work loads, lack of commitment from majority of case managers, constantly changing policies and procedures, ignoring of employee concerns, staff bullying, nepotism, and zero guidance from local and upper management allows a person to really get a feel for how non-profits in Las Vegas operate.

Outside of those perks it's all downhill from there - NY management might get back to you with guidance in 4 - 5 business days from the time you submitted your inquiry, if at all. Complete lack of operational oversight allows for severe abuses of integrity and morally appropriate approaches to client and employee needs.

Do yourself a favor - use your skills and talents to affect change through more structured and competent organizations here in Las Vegas.
Pros
Hours long lunches - if you're into shirking job responsibilities
Cons
Hours long lunches - zero support from management
Good company however the pay is low.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 28, 2016
This is a really good company however the pay for most positions are low compared to other non profits who do the same thing.
Pros
They really do help the clients.
Cons
a lot of unhappy co workers.
the facility was great for 14 years until they hired the new exec director
Senior Safety Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 8, 2016
busy place signing clients in and out facility /conducting fire drills / opening up clients units/ doing detex(rounds) training staff / supervising staff/ customer service skills/ doing intake arriving client into the cares program
Pros
the place always busy
Cons
i love the challenge
Great place to learn
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 4, 2016
A good place to learn the job if your a self starter. Fast pace and very busy. A lack of communication between management. Make sure you cover yourself when given a directive.
Pros
Making a differance
Cons
Supervision
Productive and dedicated
Family Service Worker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 14, 2016
Learn about different cultures and languages. The children are lovely and so pleasant. The hardest part of my job would be maintaining our enrollment.
Help USA is a good company to work for if you want to develope a rep with the clients.
Intake Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 22, 2015
I enjoy working for Help Usa for the clients and its diverse population. I have the pleasure of being exposed to the mentally ill, transgender, and multi-cultural persons. The hardest part of this job is being able to separate others ideology of the homeless population.
Pros
The diverse population to engage
Cons
not enough time in the day to work with residents
fun
Assistant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brookyln NY.September 26, 2015
A typical day at work is a lot of report writing, All day dealing with the case managers and clients. Also having to check building every hour and running up and down stairs. But my co-worker are very helpful, easy to get along with everyone does theirs job. what I learned and the hardest part of my job is how to deal with all types of negative people and their bad attitudes. But the most enjoyable part of my job is having good co-worker that work as a team. Sorry my writing skills or poor.
Bad Management...
Porter (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 17, 2015
I really enjoy my job because it gave me the opportunity to help inviduals with social and housing problems who needed support. I respect them and they appreciated that as well.
Pros
Having the opportunity to help others.
Cons
Having to see many people struggling day by day.
Ability to Learn
REGIONAL BUSINESS MANGER (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 8, 2015
•a typical day at work
A typical day at work I spend multitasking and meeting deadlines

•what you learned
How to work with all walks of life, communicating effectively, and working independently as well as alone

•management
How to work with difficult people during stressful situations

•your co-workers
How to work as a team dispite the different outlooks on a project

•the hardest part of the job
Trying not to take the job home

•the most enjoyable part of the job
Learning new things
Pros
Flexible with work, able to voice opinions, and the given ablility to be creative
Cons
healthcare, and salary
High energy busy workplace
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 31, 2015
I typical day involves alot of client interaction, paper work and filing, meetings with supervisor and management. Coworkers are very interactive . The hardest part is managing the heavy workload. The most enjoyable part is there interaction with clients and cowrkers
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
heavy workload
Beginning
Social Services Intake Worker (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 24, 2015
The shelter system for women on a typical day was like a revolving door. It kept you on your toes. Management was always willing to teach you something. And very easy to talk to when you needed to understand something. It was always about team work.
Pros
over time, holiday pay
Cons
short breaks, last minute call outs
Always busy
Financial Manager - Property Management (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 8, 2015
As my day starts at 9 am I am swamped with a lot of work.Colleagues are nice, supportive, understanding.No micromanagement. Reasonable deadlines, M-F 9-5 pm.
Pros
Early release every Friday during summer.
Cons
No bonus
You can do better
Assistant Safety Supervisor (Former Employee) –  285 E 171st St, Bronx NyMay 25, 2015
building up the staff's moral ASAP, give manager's diversity training.
management needs to listen to there staff more then clients!
Pros
Helping homeless and disabled Veterans
Cons
your voice doesn't matter to the management, they are all about flipping units and getting paid!
horrible place to work
Safety Monitor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 9, 2015
u got some good co workers its some of the people in charge or think they have power ruins the place.
its not the great place to work and the pay is not worth it
Pros
They have an union
Cons
only medical and it cost alot and A horrible S/S/S
Non-Profit Organization
SSVF Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 16, 2015
I learned a lot about the different issues clients may have and how to help them to the best of my ability. It was hard to see clients come in who were homeless, but they were always so appreciative.
Men's Shelter
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 28, 2015
-Turning on Computer
-Check in with Supervisor for daily update
-Check my calendar to see which clients I had an appointment with and get the paperwork and documents needed for their visit
-Type my progress notes for the day
-Call employment counselor, for job leads for residents
-Call housing Counselor to set up visit for potential client that are ready for housing .
Get charts from chart room for clients to ensure that my charts are up to date.
Pros
the blessing of seeing a client get employment or housing
Cons
the lack of resources for the men
help usa was a great experience and stepping stone for me
Recreation Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 21, 2015
everyday was something new. learning how to manage my time and being efficient. planning new and fun activities was something I enjoyed as much as the children.
Learning Experience
Housing Specialist / Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Bronx New YorkDecember 25, 2014
Going into this job i was clear that I want to save everyone on my case load, finding them exactly what they wanted in their lives ie housing jobs vocation ect. I would go home with a mission that everyone deserves their dream. As I grew with this company I realized that there was no way to save people that truly didn't want to be saved. I started to get frustrated when we would assist these woman and move them along and within months find them back in the system. Now it was time to do my job and follow the directives of the system and move the woman into housing and allow the woman to save themselves.As I love working to help and assist people. Iv'e learned to do my job and allow individuals that I serve to work on their bigger dream as they move on through life
Pros
hours
Cons
client movement
It's a job...that's the only good thing I can say
Safety Monitor (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 19, 2014
If you can tolerate an environment where the staff constantly gossips about other staff, with both co-workers AND CLIENTS, then maybe this is the place for you. There is NO support from management...they will leave you hanging out to dry! There's NO communication or respect amongst the staff! The clients are treated POORLY by staff members. I could go on and on, and bit have one good thing to say about this place. If you're in desperate need of a job and are offered one here, then take it. Otherwise, don't do it to yourself.
No Job Security
Housing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 7, 2014
If your looking for a career that has security and growth well don't apply for any position at this organization