HELP USA Employee Reviews

Productive working environment
Safety Monitor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 26, 2017
Go in at 8am punch in starts my rounds morning wake ups. Document every client who's violating company policy. Report everything back to my supervisor. Business manager never really like to answer questions he would just transfer your call over to the ED ( executive director). The area is nice shelter is nice. Hardest part of the job was 4-12 all clients come in rowdy full of energy and it's wasn't that many of security guards on a shift 200 clients with 3 safety monitors and one shift supervisor. When incidents accrued to happen we short staffed. Enjoyable part of the job was when safety monitors got together and did a group patrols and hour paid lunch break.
Pros
Paid lunch breaks, 8am-4pm
Cons
No food place in the area
Fast paced environment full of challenges
Administrative Assistant to Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, NYApril 20, 2017
Working at HELP USA taught me a lot about the shelter system.
I learned how to multi task and interact with different individuals who have different needs.

I enjoyed working with families especially the children.
safety issues
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 18, 2017
Working for help usa it was a safety issue, working with a very difficult population. No help from management and if you didn't find housing that doesn't exist they terminate you. It is all about numbers.
Pros
salary
Cons
safety issues
Productive and fun with coworkers and manager
Clerical (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJApril 5, 2017
A typical day at work is when it's not too busy and not too stressful, having a good day with coworkers and manager. Learning to be cooperative with shoppers, learning different skills of multitasking. I have always been on time even when I'm on break, making sure everything is correct before leaving my post area. The hardest part is dealing with angry customers, but that still hasn't stopped me from learning on how to calm them down and make them relax with their tone. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I'm friends with all my coworkers and we get along, also when we help each other on things we don't understand.
Productive workplace
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 20, 2017
A lot of room for advancement
Poor communication among's management and employees
Lack of equipment made it hard to do your daily duties
Great benefits
Pros
Employees worked as a team
Cons
Pay rate
BrownsVille Womans Center (HELP USA
Administrative Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 16, 2017
Great place for a first year Human Services intern to learn about the day to day of the shelter system and its workers. I loved working with the staff, conducting outreach, working with and the clients. The Director cared about her residents and the ascetics and maintenance of the facility. She was always reaching out to the residents and staff she was visible but never a helicopter.
It is a rewarding and gratifying jobs
Social Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJMarch 1, 2017
I provide support and services to residents. I am responsible for conducting outreach to community-based providers that will offer services to HELP tenants both on-site at the HELP facility and in the community.
Pros
Close to home.
Cons
Upper Management has not visited the sites in all the time I've been here.
Great Company, Great Work done for society
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYFebruary 28, 2017
This company was wonderful, in part supported by NY state funding, from what I recall, as it was many years ago, I enjoyed the people I worked with as well as all of my job responsibilities. I especially enjoyed watching the clients progress before my eyes!
I had a good grasp on the Financial System
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 28, 2017
Management were in limbo and always fighting. Was not a guaranteed job environment. Constantly changing the team. Need better management and appreciation for hard work.
Pros
Managed Account Systems
Cons
Instability
Help usa
Team Leader/Case Manager Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 21, 2017
This agency allows you to assist others within a vulnerable setting such as homelessness, mental health, and domestic violence. The job is not only a day to day however a career in which you are able to become intrinsically motivated in your journey, as well as, becoming a liaison to others quality of life.

The hardest part of this job is to leave work at work. In times of adversity we become our clients "safe place" and there are times when some stories and situations are very hard to leave at work because we are human.

The work place culture is to assist each client to their success. Meeting clients where they are at and assisting them with goals which have been formulated by them.

The most enjoyable part of this job is watching families and single adults that have suffered significant trauma successfully reintegrate into the communities from which they were snatched from, and regain their independence.

Everyday that I work at this agency I learn something new about myself and about service delivery. My goal is to assist others and I cannot always expect everything to turn out the way I plan it. I accept each client for their individual self and I stand by "person centered planning" because meeting a client where they are at is the best place for THEM to be and for THEM to move forward from. The thing is, THEY have to want it.

Lastly, motivational interviewing has been the most successful part of my process as a human service professional. In this method of client assistance I've assisted many clients in their goal achievement.
Help USA is one of the worst non-for profit agencies in New York City.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Wards Island, NYJanuary 3, 2017
Help USA has a site on wards island. The workers there are conniving and not to be trusted co-workers on the planet. The supervisors don't have your back and if you're not on their good side, they'll try their hardest to get you fired. The supervisor don't train you etc. you'll inherit 40 cases of clients, that can't be placed. Clients don't get placed in a home or an apartment. Clients will get moved to other shelters or a room apartment. I've known clients that been there since 2012.
Pros
Lunch or a beak.
Cons
Can't be trusted. No raises. Large amount of cases. Dangerous supervisor.
Not the best place to work
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 8, 2016
Horrible management, but great time off. Not really a team concept, and just about everyone there hates their jobs. No down time throughout the day, and a heavy caseload.
the worse
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 30, 2016
not organize very dirty workers are disrespectfully to others . they love starting fights and arguing with the people that live in shelter. always getting a write up for doing your job. lady that works there finds a reason to fire or get the girls off her shift by telling lies and arguing with us
Pros
Nice People That Lived There
Cons
Disrespect Is Crazy
Very unprofessional, over work their staff.
Housing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 30, 2016
Job is OK however, management is very bad to work with. They over work you, they don't work with you, management is bad that the stress level is through the roof putting the staff against one another. Also , don't bother in completing if you have personal matter with a colleague, MGMT will just brush it off.
Great advancement oppourtunities.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  NYC, NYNovember 18, 2016
It has several different outlets that u can choose from, advancement, great opportunities.Enjoyed working for this company. Met some really nice people and worked with some great people.
Company could be better.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 8, 2016
The company is alright but they can do more for there employees and compensate them more. It was a good learning experience and getting an idea on what direction to take regarding a career.
Help 1
CASE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 13, 2016
HELP USA is a fantastic organization with a commitment to the various homeless populations they service. The running of HELP 1 by management does leave much to be desired. The duties are intense but the immense pleasure and pride experienced when you witness families transition into permanent housing makes the drooling hours worth it. The management needs to be more supportive of staff or provide training of new expectations as DHS requirements continue to update. Caseload fluctuates drastically with staff turn over (24-45).
Experience at HELP USA
Senior Housing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 30, 2016
At HELP USA, I had an invaluable experience and intend to utilize my skills in future endeavors. I had the opportunity to learn something different from every person I had the pleasure of working with.
Pros
Supportive Staff
Cons
Training availability
Productive fun place
Educational Aide (Current Employee) –  330 hindsdale streetAugust 26, 2016
It's great working here. Being an educational aide is a great career you enter act with children that are smart an you also learn what's trending. Different ages you deal with every day
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
No break
productive
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Hollis, NYAugust 20, 2016
i love what i do writing incident reports and patrolling i been with the company for three years and got promoted twice i love it great people to work with
Pros
great oppertunities
Cons
great benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HELP USA. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9