HENDRICK MEDICAL CENTER Employee Reviews

Worked with good people.
Senior Speech-Language Pathologist (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXJuly 30, 2017
Good people within the department I work in and a variety of patients. A variety of settings available (acute, SNF, LTACH, and outpatient). The town is pretty far from anything else (2-3+hrs).
Best place I've ever worked.
Certified Nurse Aide (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXJuly 11, 2017
Typical day was usually the same/consistent.
Learned something new, probably every shift.
Management was incredible!
Culture was good.
Loved this hospital!
Pros
Compensation was good. They cared about staff.
Cons
When it rained and you parked across the street... your feet got soaked.
Opportunities for Advancement
Former RN (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXJuly 2, 2017
I wished I still worked here, but had to leave due to family relocation. It was my privilege to work with excellent managers and charge nurses who listened to staff to make work situations better and promote work-life balance. Also, when I mentioned to my nurse manager that I wanted to do some committee work to advance on the clinical ladder, she saw to it that I was assigned to two committees. It was rewarding to be part of a committee that made significant changes to improve patient safety, and see our ideas become reality in each department. It was my goal to advance my career at Hendrick, but I have had to pursue that wish in another part of the country. Hendrick is a good healthcare system and a good employer. I had a positive experience there.
Pros
Lots of opportunities in this regional healthcare system that serves 19 counties
Cons
I witnessed situations that made me think the hospital didn't value their strongest, most experienced employees.
Very fun and joyful job. Also a rewarding job when trained to fufil your duties
Specialty Technician (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXJune 7, 2017
Reviewing Hendick medical center would consist of management and wages. Over all Hendrick medical center is a phenomenal place to work. Management is the best in town. Very outgoing and friendly as well as non judgmental. The only thing I would honestly change about working as a specialty tech in the trauma center would be to raise wages. Specialty techs are so under compensated for the work we contribute to the hospital. Not only are we ekg specialists as well as Phlebotomist, we are responsible for the care of each pt when nurses don't have time to tend to the pts. In other words, we see the pt before the nurses do. Which can make for a very rewarding purpose in this career. Unlike nurses who only are able to take care of 2-3 pts at a time, techs are responsible for the whole emergency Dept pt wise.
Pros
Not really and pros
Cons
Sometimes you don't get a lunch. Pay grade is not worth it.
Great job, friendly staff wish I could go back to work there. We relocated is the only reason I left
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXJune 1, 2017
Love this job, had the best Co worker family ever. Never felt like it was just a job. Best job I ever had. Excellent management. People really care for our patients. If you ever needed more time off for some reason, they did there beat to accommodate you and your family
Pros
Holidays off
Cons
No over time pay
Full-time employment (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXMay 28, 2017
The position I held was not as they appeared to be upon hire, there is no room for advancement and they were not completely honest with me on the hours I would get as well. Overall it is a great place to work but not if you need income for a family.
Pros
Friendly and Christian based
Cons
no room for advancement and pay
Social Worker III (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXMay 23, 2017
I enjoyed the time I served as Social Worker at HMC. You have the opportunity to make a visible difference in the world while working there. I appreciate that HMC administration realizes the importance of an effective Case Management Department and is actively partnering with the department to ensure HMC provides optimal Case Management services.
Pros
Teamwork
Amazing
Class President (Former Employee) –  Baird, TXMay 20, 2017
Working at Hendrick Medical Center was a great experience for me. That's where I found I love to interact with customers or patients. It was a fun way to pass by my summers.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
sick patients
First job.
Staff Therapist (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXMay 18, 2017
I trained here and got my first job as an RT here. Unfortunately, they always have plenty of fresh RTs coming out of the school, so they do not pay them well.
Good place to get your foot in the door in a medical field
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXApril 17, 2017
Enjoyed meeting a variety of people, both co-works as well as patients.

Have to be a people person and not let things get to you, ie... loss of a patient.

Fullfillng when you get to see someone recover who you have spent time with during their healing period
Good staff, flexible schedule
Registered Nurse in Labor and Delivery (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXApril 5, 2017
Management very difficult to deal with. Tenured staff not valued. They would rather have cheaper, less experienced staff. Physicians are experienced and value tenured staff. Co-workers experienced with integrity.
Pros
good people, enjoyable work
Cons
management
great benefits and work environment
Hendrick Provider Billing (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXMarch 31, 2017
process of medical claims, very educational,Management very professional. workplace culture very diverse. most difficult part of the job was learning new programs.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
short breaks
Great place to work.
Clinical Technician I (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXJanuary 31, 2017
I loved everything about my time as a phlebotomist at Hendrick with the exception the poorly supplied technological equipment. While we were one of the departments, if not the department, that needed them most we we had the oldest and poorly clad PDAs and printers.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Wouldn't like you to leave the grounds for lunch.
Productive workplace
Staff LVN (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TX 79601January 19, 2017
I was a staff LVN and as such I provided nursing care to patients with varied illnesses. The staff that I worked with were all very knowledgeable and supportive.
Enjoyable and good learning place to work.
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXJanuary 10, 2017
Hendrick Medical Center is an excellent place to work. It's diversity in the respiratory field is well rounded and their ability allow me to work in the areas I enjoy is commendable. Each day challenges my skills and knowledge in my field.
Pros
The diversity in the respiratory field from neonates to hospice care.
Cons
Needing to be in three places at the same time is taxing but doable.
its "alright".....I guess
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXJanuary 7, 2017
has the poorest sense of staffing in a place I have ever seen in my life. Pay and advancement are all about "who you know", not what you can do. Good at patient care and cleanliness on the upside.
Pros
great care as a patient
Cons
bad staffing, poor management, privileged advancement, cliques, poor pay per work equivalency.
Great way to start in the medical field
Emergency Department Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXApril 6, 2016
Starting as an admission representative I was able to get use to the medical field and see if it was something I was interested in. It also gave me valuable experience in billing, insurance protocols, and emergency medicine.
fun workplace
Construction Technician (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXMarch 30, 2016
my fellow co workers made work a fun and enjoyable place to work..there was food in every department u worked in..was able to learn more about other fields in construction..
Pros
free food everywhere
Cons
9 different bosses and low pay
Worst employee relationships . All based on the "friend" system. This is a Bible Belt small town joke.
Trauma Administrator (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXFebruary 16, 2016
I worked here for three years . The employees do not respect hippa laws. Have no compassion to patients unless church is involved . This hospital is more like a high school them professional facility .
Pros
They give you a badge so they can dock your paycheck for food and other small items . Low pay, riude coworkers.
Cons
No ethics, mangers will cover up horrible actions for friends .
Productive work place with encouraging co-workers and management
Scheduling Representative (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXOctober 16, 2015
Productive work place with supportive co-workers and management. Learned the importance of team work, multi-tasking, and personal/professional boundaries. Great support and multiple learning opportunities.
Pros
Free lunch, learning opportunities, supportive co-workers and management
Cons
Short breaks, parking