Hennepin County Medical Center Employee Reviews

Started positive ended very negative
Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 1, 2016
I had some great trainers. My pay was good. No complaints there. I started 4 days on with 3 days off. The management at the time of my employment was the problem. Lot's of bias, racial behavior. So I had to leave due to medical concerns.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Horrible managment
Veiry Positive enviorment
Patient Service Representative (PSR) (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 31, 2016
Provide support to the department of surgery Schedule patient appointments
Scheduled interpreters to assure effective communication for patients visit
Build and maintain provider clinic schedules
Train new staff and assist with continued training.
Promote and maintain good patient relations and confidentially.
Pros
Advancement Oppertunities
Cons
N/A
Productive environment
Principal Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 21, 2016
Lots to do daily. The days go by fast and the employees are kept busy. There was some schedule flexibilty where I can work from home as well.
Pros
flexible schedule, fast paced environment
Review for HCMC
Family Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 17, 2016
I enjoy working here.

I admit patients from the Acute Psychiatric Services to Inpatient Psychiatry. I perform history and physicals, review medications, order medications and take care of any current medical issues.

Psychiatry has 102 beds and also handle the cross cover pager answering pages and seeing patients for medication orders, falls, chest pain, high blood glucose, violent restraints, and many other needs.

I want to move to Colorado as it is a good time in my personal life to make the move.
Pros
Education, job security, good environment
Cons
Parking
Fast paced enviroment.
R.N. suragical services (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 11, 2016
Fun place to work if you enjoy adrenalin rush of trauma. Unique clients. Progressive, fast paced. A great place to get experience with the critically ill and injured. Some education and advancement opportunities. Supported by Minnesota Nurses Association.
Working in the Nursing Administrative Office
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 7, 2016
I help in the administrative office at HCMC. And I help with filing files, photocopy, faxing and working with excel, word, power point.
Pros
Working for free to help where i am needed
Cons
N/a
Don't get a job without already knowing how to do it
cancer registry (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 22, 2015
I was hired as a cancer registrar in training. The person who I thought was supposed to be training me told me right from the beginning that me being hired was a "nuisance" and that she "didn't have time to train me". I asked my manager several three times for proper training (I was taking online courses as well, to become certified) because the way the actual world works, you don't get hired and know how to do the job immediately- no matter what it is. Anyhow, in the end I was let go because I wasn't "understanding" the job, although I never did get any training more than a piece of paper with some dates and what I should know by then. I wish I had the documentation about when I asked for training, because I was told that I may have had a good unemployment case. Hopefully they never, ever hire someone without training again, because I honestly have anxiety when I think about working there, and how awful my co-worker was to me. Hopefully the two openings they now have are for 1) someone who is already a registrar and knows how to do everything the job requires without training and 2)the other opening is for the existing registrar who should not be able to work with other people.

The doctors are great, the clinical staff is wonderful, but the training in the cancer center is a joke.
Pros
fabulous doctors and nurses- wonderful to the patients
Cons
the lack of training
i love it
Medical Assistant - Orthopedic Department (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 19, 2015
good people good pay nothing to say

I worked there for a little bit over a year I wish I was still working here
*****************************
Fast-paced, creative environment with many opportunities for challenge
Administrative Assistant/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 19, 2015
Daily interaction with multiple universities and colleges related to student rotations within the hospital and ambulatory clinics. Nursing students, especially, were the bulk of the profile for unit/clinic rotations. Multiple opportunities to engage in scheduling rotations, identifying opportunities for students on various units and verifying with their instructors and unit managers. Scheduling of meetings to solidify recommendations for students/academic institutions. Daily capture of numbers of students in the institution at any given time. Documentation of hospital-required identifiers, for example, background checks, etc. Very detail-oriented tasks which were relied on heavily for documentation, both for community-related statistics as well as tax benefits. The hardest part of the job was the time element involved for turnaround of information. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting the students and their instructors and being part of the process of fulfilling their dream to become a health-care provider.

Many other duties as well: Chairperson of the DAISY Committee; multiple opportunities for graphic design tasks; responsible for scheduling retreats, scheduling educational requirements/opportunities for nursing staff and management; scheduling of various meetings; preparing statistical data for reporting; development of various packets and rolling those out; etc.
Pros
Being a partner in the process of moving a nursing student through the institution.
Cons
Takes a lot of time to manage the process
fun and loving place to work.
Environmental Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 27, 2015
I love working for Hennepin county because they had good benefits plus staff treat you so nice when you come in to work. they treat you like family.
High energy, truly motivated staff that care about the people we served
Mental Health Associate/HUC - APS (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 26, 2015
No day is the exact same at Hennepin County Medical Center, everyday is filled with the exciting mystery of who we would have the pleasure of serving. The staff that I had the pleasure of working with were all filled with passion toward everyone that walked through the doors of Acute Psychiatric Services.
Pros
The clients that we served on a daily basis
Cons
Lack of psychiatric Beds
Best Job Yet
Employee Health (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 14, 2015
Typical Day at work ? well there never was a typical day at work because i was a Human Resource Float for about two months i spent a week in just about every Location and Work Environment. Doing just about everything Filing, Organizing , Computer entry , Employee Health was my favorite Working with the doctors and nurses Doing computer entry and paper work.
Pros
Working with Doctors and Nurses, Learning different Task
Cons
No Breaks
Nice place to work
Patient Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 5, 2015
Great place to work. Just really big on attendance. Wasn't able to attend my daughter fifth grade graduation. Co workers have bad attitudes. The front desk manager wasn't any help. She didn't know anything about the front desk duties.
Patient safety is a priority
Medical Clinic Manager (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 26, 2015
Its a great place to work, howevere, there is not much opportunity for advancement. It's great interacting with patients and staff.
Pros
Diverse work environment
Cons
Not much opportunity for advancement.
Most enjoyable part of the job
Diversity Consultant (Former Employee) –  Emergency Department , AdministrationOctober 22, 2015
I loved this job. I learned alot about nursing in a Inter City environment. Everything I learned I was able to take those skills into my other career options.
Pros
Opportunity to learn
Cons
Busy all the time.
Really gone down hill for RNs
Nurse (Current Employee) –  MinneapolisOctober 19, 2015
It used to be a good place to work for nurses until management really got into the whole money thing. The ratios are high and the patients are difficult physically and mentally. It's very hard to get a straight shift so you're tired all the time but I am most tired of all the unecessary created stress, gang-bangers, and parking issues so I put in my notice. The nurses are really good people.
Pros
Nurses
Cons
Bad environment
busy fast paced radiology department in the Emergency department
Senior Radiologic technologist in ED (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 24, 2015
great place to work, very diverse patient base, great healthcare teams from the Emergency department, to the intensive care units.
Patient Centered Care
CERTIFIED MEDICAL ASSISTANT/ORDERING SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 7, 2015
Very patient centered hospital/clinics. Very friendly staff and managers. Lots of opportunity to advance with the company.
Diverse patient population, high acuity, good experience
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 3, 2015
The actual building could use some work; it definitely feels institutional. High patient acuity and diversity. Fabulous learning environment. Poor nurse-patient ratios but it seems like they are starting to work on this.
Wonderful Place to Work
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 21, 2015
Supportive of educational opportunities. RNs see the most job growth potential. Promotes from within. People are truly passionate about patients, even in support areas.

If I leave, it will not be because of faults in the organization, but merely for faster career growth.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hennepin County Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Hennepin County Medical Center Reviews by Location