Hennepin County Employee Reviews

exciting and rewarding
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 17, 2017
GOOD PLACE TO WORK
great co-workers
lack of communication on the floor level
good location
clean
very difficult and reasonable place to find parking
good hours
Great Place to Work
Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 8, 2017
Great environment, people are friendly, management is engaged with staff, organization has good core values, benefits are very competitive, and flexible working hours.
Pros
Flex schedule
Cons
Slow Career Growth
Minneapolis
Human Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 3, 2017
Hennepin county is a good place to work, very fast pace environment with diverse population. Management needs work on micromanagement style of managing.
Poor place to work
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNAugust 2, 2017
Hennepin County does not care about work life balance. It takes its employees for granted.
Promotions are based on WHO you know not WHAT you know.
While compensation for my current position is decent, it isn't worth being unhappy.
Senior Planning Analyst (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 2, 2017
Very diverse organization, very flexible , very health awareness oriented. I enjoy working and working with my peers. This is a great place to work at.
Great pay and benefits
Human Services Representative, Senior (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 28, 2017
Each division is managed very differently. The county itself is a great place to work with excellent benefits and pay. Depending on division and location management is not skilled or knowledgeable and they are starting to operate like a corporation, which is not working because it is a human services agency. We work with humans- not numbers.
Pros
Benefits, Pay
Cons
management
Ok
Security Officer/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 23, 2017
Ok, just ok. Too much travel required. Zero job security. Supervisor experience was low. Scheduling was all over the place. Not a desired job by many.
Great place to be
Sr. Community Health Worker (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaJune 26, 2017
Very structure work environment with great management support. Friendly and diverse team members. If you love serving your community this would be a great place to be.
Good place to work for
Office Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 9, 2017
I really learned a lot working there, ok management team. a great view and work spot. It was close to my home. There was not a job offer after the assignment was over.
Pros
Lots of breaks and free lunch
Cons
No job offer after assignment was over
stable work environment
Legal Secretary-Specialty Court (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 22, 2017
Great benefits and a great place to get experience working with all people of different backgrounds. Also a great place to service the public and help to change lives.
Pros
Great benefits
Foster caare
Foster Parent (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 18, 2017
I helped young people who were displaced and in the system
sometimes they just spent the week end with me other times they stayed with me for months. Most of the time the students were sad because they had be placed in one foster home after another.
Pros
Did my best
Cons
students move on to another home
An excellent work culture that promotes positive working environment.
IT Intern (Current Employee) –  300 South, 6th street, Minneapolis, MN-55847May 16, 2017
It was a very fruitful experience for me while working with Hennepin County as it gave me some taste of a real world job. I learnt the work ethics and team work to achieve the desired goals. It was fun to work with experienced and knowledgeable people around and learn from them everyday.
Not what I expected
Principal IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 15, 2017
I was hoping I would be able to make a difference working for the government. There are too many people that don't like change and makes it hard to do anything different especially when it comes to automating work. Also, the IT culture is too restrictive with moving projects in to production.
Pros
Medical benefits, pension, more holidays
Cons
Culture, management
Senior Court Clerk (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 3, 2017
good place to work, slow progress if want to move up. I want to make more money now. It is very seniority based here. I would like to work a more meaningful job.
Great benefits, work/life balance, and salary
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 4, 2017
Typical day at work varies from various project management to scheduling, logistics coordination, facilitated conversations, and various communications.
Pros
benefits, diversity, health incentives
Cons
high level of resilency needed to go with the county flow
Great
Child Protective Services Worker (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 31, 2017
Great team atmosphere! Love my job and i would recommend this job to any one that asks. I really do not have anymore to say but this form is requiring more words.
Pros
Great pay
More concentrated on Billing then helping
Child Services Social Worker (Current Employee) –  MPLS, MNMarch 28, 2017
Would not pay overtime but expected all work done. Reverse discrimination is in force. Some management is very biased in those who have served in the military.
Benefits
Cons
Philosphy
Hennepin County is great! The JDC is terrible.
Juvenile Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 6, 2017
Would highly recommend that you look else where if you are looking at jobs in Corrections. I am currently an employee at the Hennepin County JDC & have been so for the past year and a half. I am currently job shopping as this is a HORRIBLE place to work.

Some examples include but are not limited to:
-Poor pay
-Unsafe environment (high resident to staff ratio)
-Forced over time
-Poor shift patterns
-High turnover
-Year long probationary period for new employees
-Ineffective upper management
-Poor Union representation (although they won't mind taking your $$$ on a monthly basis)
-Very few opportunities for advancement within the institution or moving outside the institution
-Very negative culture

As I said, please look elsewhere for employment. If you become employed here you will regret it 100%! I know I have...
Pros
Health insurance, dental, retirement
Cons
Anything & Everything you can think of!
Good community to work wiith
IT Specialist Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 28, 2017
I did receive my expectation of increasing and improving knowledge. Good team work with. I liked my supervisor. She was helpful when I needed her.
Pros
Good teamwork
Cons
No parking in Downtown
Discrimination
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNFebruary 23, 2017
As a volunteer, I was discriminated against for my disability. I would not recommend working at the library. When you disclose a disability they try to get rid of you as soon as possible.
Pros
Some nice people
Cons
No understanding of disability