Hennepin County Employee Reviews

Great experience/ enjoyed my time
Engineering Technician Aide - Surveyor/Inspector (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNAugust 31, 2016
My time working for Hennepin County as an Engineering Technician Aide was very valuable work experience. I performed a diverse amount of task as both a surveyor and inspector on a number of job sites and locations. Working alongside and collaborating with professional engineers was essential to my personal growth as a engineer. I was appreciative that my superiors were both patient and helpful while teaching me new tasks and procedures. The biggest takeaway of my time there, was a further understanding of the processes necessary for construction projects lifecycle.
Pros
Gained valuable experience and learned a lot
Cons
Would have liked to work more with the design engineers
A good paying job with good benifits.
Office Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 22, 2016
Self start, check the files to see if paper work is in there that need to be done or I have paper work on my desk that I have to complete. Answer calls and serve customers at the counter that ring the bell.

Every day I learn different ways to process paper work.
Management is nice, patient, respectful and very helpful.

we work as a team or along and very helpful to on another.

Is making sure you have completed every step of your paper work because there are several steps to every job.

Knowing your job and doing it correctly, and just enjoy being a county worker it is a pleasure.
Pros
Down time sometime there is nothing to do.
Cons
very short breaks when we have a deadline.
Education Dept is hostile work environment -lots of favoritism exclusive
Insrtuctor (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MnJanuary 23, 2016
I have never seen such unfair, non inclusive behavior in my life. Poor work ethic, employees who are non inclusive to the point of hostility. Life long teachers are very non-inclusive and
Program Management is very unprofessional and lacks both competence and fairness, only cares about getting support of those who are revered and those with the same gender preference. Blatant favoritism and incompetence. As one employee put it, "the sheriff's Department takes care of its own.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Non inclusive, unfair employees, incompetence, nepotism.
Hennepin county is Great
IT Change Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 3, 2016
easily move between different positions, advancement opportunities, laid back mentality. parking sucks, but the job environment has improved immensely. Renovations have been done, and people are always on the move. put in your 8 hours and you are done. no overtime required.
excellent career choice for variety with hard work
SR Support Supervisor (Former Employee) –  HCMC, Courts, Govt Center IT, HCLibraryJuly 31, 2016
Right out of college I started a clerical position at HCMC. If you are willing to work hard, there are many opportunities within Henn Co for a variety of jobs.I worked in the Courts, IT, and the Library system for a total of 30+ years. Made lifelong friends, and had very interesting jobs. Don't be afraid to transfer departments.
Pros
Good education opportunities, ability to move laterly and up
Cons
short/no breaks, poor back up from upper management
Slow, frustrating and non-cooperative
Planning Analyst (Community Alternative Liaison) (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 30, 2016
Government really does move at a snails pace and during my tenure
at Hennepin County that was the status quo. Limited able to effect change in a gratifying way. Working with large collaborative teams offered great opportunities to learn and devolpe on an on going basis.
Pros
Great benefits, gain experience
Cons
Short breaks, lack of support from upper management
I was a hard worker while at this company, the reason for my leaving was a got a job closer to home while my children was small. I loved this company
Administrative Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 6, 2016
I really love any company that offers me what I need and that is allow me to serve people and assist them in any way possible. Great company to work for
Pros
Are you willing to share your learned knowledge with others, and my answer was certainly.
Cons
This place is the worse to work
medical assistant (Former Employee) –  Health Care for the HomelessJanuary 6, 2016
This place is the worse to work, yes you travel to different homeless shelters, however the management has it's favorites that do little to no traveling at all. Management needs training on how to be resourceful with their staff. If you ever wanted to work at ground zero this is the place. The experience was a real eye-opener to how hidden segregation exsist. For all the money in in fort knox. I would never work for the Hennepin County ever.
Pros
The County
Cons
Segregation to the fullest
Why am I asked to review this org? I already did.
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 9, 2016
Why am I asked to review this org? I already did. Why am I asked to review this org? I already did. Why am I asked to review this org? I already dWhy am I asked to review this org? I already did.id. Why am I asked to review this org? I already did.Why am I asked to review this org? I already did.
Horrible place to work
Clerical Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 12, 2016
Favoritism,unprofessional management and hostile. The sheriffs department is the worst. DOCCR is a very close second, it's an aweful place to work, don't get caught in it. If I could start over I would never have applied at Hennepin county.
Pros
it's a job
Cons
Bullies, terrible management

Want to know more about Hennepin County?

Ask a question
Great Leadership
Lead Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 10, 2015
The management team encourages internal promotions and allows us time to take classes to improve ourselves as Security Officers. I do weapons screening several hours a day, along with foot patrol, and teaching EMS classes. I also manage 5 officers to ensure they are doing their duties and they are where they are suppose to be. There are roughly 60 County Officers and about 100 contract officers that I work with, all of whom I consider the best in the business.The hardest part of my job I think would be the variety of medical calls we get. Each and every one is different. I love my job. I love interacting with the public and helping them solve problems, or just being an ear for them to listen.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Good place to work, good benefits
Human Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 11, 2015
I miss my job at Hennepin County. I worked as a Human Services Representative. The training was intensive and if you can get through the probation period it's a great place to work. Unfortunately I was let go due to some problems with an undisclosed disability when I was without my needed medication due to a doctor/pharmacy miscommunication. If given the chance I would go back in a heart beat now that everything has been cleared up. It's enjoyable to be able to help get people the help that they need when they have fallen on hard times. It was hard at time when regulations prevented you from giving benefits but there were alternative resources to give to clients. A typical day at work included processing new applications and benefit renewals, as well as meeting with clients in person.
Pros
Helping people, good co-workers who want to help you succeed.
Cons
If you are having personal issues, you may just be fired instead of having someone ask if things are ok, or if there is something going on they should be aware of, not being able to help some people because of maximum time frames or income issues.
Tech Savvy
Internship (Former Employee) –  Richfield, MNJune 1, 2016
If you're into electronics then this is your place. Recommending products and helping customers understand the products they want to purchase.
Challenging and rewarding days
Juvenile Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 11, 2016
The job has the potential for long hours and unpredictable scheduling. It can be hard on family life. It is however very rewarding if you enjoy working with youth and making an impact on young lives.
Productive and fun
Juvenile Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 24, 2015
The management team would be very passive aggressive. However, there were some leaders that did not mind coaching you and not worrying about their bosses. I thought those managers were excellent at their job because they displayed true character and loyalty.
Not a good place for new employees; staff stay there to get pension; plus they Hennepin Cty requires a 4 week notice before leaving or you lose benefi
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Mpls MNFebruary 10, 2015
Unfortunately, Hennepin County is the worst place I've worked. Management does not have your back. It is a rule that the supervisor is always right, even when they are very very wrong.

I was asked to help in firing my co-workers, this is awful.

Some good managers are there, but few and far between.

Culture is cold in the IT area; staff nearly always bring up how long they've worked at the County in every meeting; and always can't wait to retire.

I am an I/O Psychologist student and have written many papers and made numerous observations to support this info.
Pros
pension
Cons
bad hr management that trickles down to supervisor bad manangement
Hennepin good place to work if you don't to really work
Human Service Representative II/Intake (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 13, 2015
I worked at Hennepin County for over 15 years in interviewing persons applying for public assistance.
Job was stressful-and that was okay. However, there isn't any recognition for people who actually do their work on time and correctly while others did poor work, sloppy case work, and never got reprimanded and got the same money. Unions and governments I don't know if that is a good thing-Great place if you want to be lazy and not lose your job-go for it.

Better yet-you'll probably get promoted.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
management is not in tune to employees
Challenging and rewarding work
Supervisor in Child Protection (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 31, 2014
Hennepin County child protection serves a very diverse population with over 40% of the population being people of color. There are significant populations of African Americans, East Africans, Latinos and Native Americans from several tribes. It is also a large organization serving thousands of families. With recent budget constraints, difficult decisions have been made to keep true to our core mission of permanency, safety and well being while maintaining children in their homes. I have found the work challenging and rewarding. I have developed friendships which will last forever and have been taught about many other cultures and life experiences. I have learned how to stretch myself and question myself as I continue to learn and grow.
Pros
excellent co-workers and good benefits
Cons
funding loss in recent years
Security Officer Lead (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 31, 2015
Love it great place to work fun hard working people to work with and for . satisfying, enjoyable and rewarding and most employers treat their workers fairly HC treats theirs even better.
Company Review
No longer work there (Former Employee) –  MinneapolisMay 1, 2013
CEO is terrible--has no vision or clue how to manage people or a business. Nearly all of her directors left to other organizations because of her lack of direction and poor management. This organization is all about clicks and who you know not what you know. I would not recommend working for this organization. I can't tell you how happy I am getting out and moving on. This is not a Health Plan it is a Government Unit.
Pros
government benefits
Cons
lack of direction, everything is a crisis, and ceo should be removed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hennepin County. Our community is ready to answer.