Hennepin County Employee Reviews in United States

Challenging and rewarding days
Juvenile Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 11, 2016
The job has the potential for long hours and unpredictable scheduling. It can be hard on family life. It is however very rewarding if you enjoy working with youth and making an impact on young lives.
Hennepin county is Great
IT Change Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 3, 2016
easily move between different positions, advancement opportunities, laid back mentality. parking sucks, but the job environment has improved immensely. Renovations have been done, and people are always on the move. put in your 8 hours and you are done. no overtime required.
Education Dept is hostile work environment -lots of favoritism exclusive
Insrtuctor (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MnJanuary 23, 2016
I have never seen such unfair, non inclusive behavior in my life. Poor work ethic, employees who are non inclusive to the point of hostility. Life long teachers are very non-inclusive and
Program Management is very unprofessional and lacks both competence and fairness, only cares about getting support of those who are revered and those with the same gender preference. Blatant favoritism and incompetence. As one employee put it, "the sheriff's Department takes care of its own.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Non inclusive, unfair employees, incompetence, nepotism.
This place is the worse to work
medical assistant (Former Employee) –  Health Care for the HomelessJanuary 6, 2016
This place is the worse to work, yes you travel to different homeless shelters, however the management has it's favorites that do little to no traveling at all. Management needs training on how to be resourceful with their staff. If you ever wanted to work at ground zero this is the place. The experience was a real eye-opener to how hidden segregation exsist. For all the money in in fort knox. I would never work for the Hennepin County ever.
Pros
The County
Cons
Segregation to the fullest
Security Officer Lead (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 31, 2015
Love it great place to work fun hard working people to work with and for . satisfying, enjoyable and rewarding and most employers treat their workers fairly HC treats theirs even better.
Productive and fun
Juvenile Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 24, 2015
The management team would be very passive aggressive. However, there were some leaders that did not mind coaching you and not worrying about their bosses. I thought those managers were excellent at their job because they displayed true character and loyalty.
very professional people to work with. Managers are very friendly and helpful
Human Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 25, 2015
we will have brief 15 minutes meeting every morning for updates

report/receive any urgent message from managers/supervisors

follow up on pending cases to either approve it or deny.

call on clients to ask for documents
Pros
friendly environment and clean place to work at
Cons
Too many case loads for every single employee
Very Rewarding Job Experience
Office Specialist III -Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 20, 2015
I was consistently challenged to learn and develop new skills that assisted in my personal and professional growth. A very memorable and enriching eight years.
Workplace with a great deal of Diversity
Mental Health Personnel (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 10, 2015
Working at the Hennepin County Medical Center is redefining compassion to me. I am also learning the art of communication as well as dealing with very difficult situations.
Hennepin County is a great place to work if you want to serve people
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 7, 2015
Being the to be the largest county in MN means they have to be well organized and use IT as a way to automate their work. They serve a large and diverse community. I was impressed with their services such as the land records, social services, mental health, economic assistance, and justice. There are some extremely talented people there such as the person in HCMC who started up "car seat clinics."
I worked there for over 20 years. Good pay; I learned a lot about myself; the profession-court systems
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 28, 2015
The number of cases could be high. Good pay. It could be very stressful; you need to be able to find ways to take care of yourself-physically and emotionally.
Pros
Good paying jobs
Cons
High caseloads
Good place to work, good benefits
Human Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 11, 2015
I miss my job at Hennepin County. I worked as a Human Services Representative. The training was intensive and if you can get through the probation period it's a great place to work. Unfortunately I was let go due to some problems with an undisclosed disability when I was without my needed medication due to a doctor/pharmacy miscommunication. If given the chance I would go back in a heart beat now that everything has been cleared up. It's enjoyable to be able to help get people the help that they need when they have fallen on hard times. It was hard at time when regulations prevented you from giving benefits but there were alternative resources to give to clients. A typical day at work included processing new applications and benefit renewals, as well as meeting with clients in person.
Pros
Helping people, good co-workers who want to help you succeed.
Cons
If you are having personal issues, you may just be fired instead of having someone ask if things are ok, or if there is something going on they should be aware of, not being able to help some people because of maximum time frames or income issues.
Great Leadership
Lead Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 10, 2015
The management team encourages internal promotions and allows us time to take classes to improve ourselves as Security Officers. I do weapons screening several hours a day, along with foot patrol, and teaching EMS classes. I also manage 5 officers to ensure they are doing their duties and they are where they are suppose to be. There are roughly 60 County Officers and about 100 contract officers that I work with, all of whom I consider the best in the business.The hardest part of my job I think would be the variety of medical calls we get. Each and every one is different. I love my job. I love interacting with the public and helping them solve problems, or just being an ear for them to listen.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Very good company to work for.
Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 29, 2015
Sort, Scan, and Index mail into computer system to be uploaded for caseworkers. Learn how to use Opex machine. Update information for caseworkers when needed.
It's a friendly and save work place.
Senior Planning Analyst (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 15, 2015
It's flexible that you can work from any where. Friendly environment and nice co-workers around. Only, there is few opportunities to grow within the organization and some management unfairness.
Pros
flexible
Cons
few opportunities to grow.
Not a good place for new employees; staff stay there to get pension; plus they Hennepin Cty requires a 4 week notice before leaving or you lose benefi
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Mpls MNFebruary 10, 2015
Unfortunately, Hennepin County is the worst place I've worked. Management does not have your back. It is a rule that the supervisor is always right, even when they are very very wrong.

I was asked to help in firing my co-workers, this is awful.

Some good managers are there, but few and far between.

Culture is cold in the IT area; staff nearly always bring up how long they've worked at the County in every meeting; and always can't wait to retire.

I am an I/O Psychologist student and have written many papers and made numerous observations to support this info.
Pros
pension
Cons
bad hr management that trickles down to supervisor bad manangement
A wonderfully company to work for
Self Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 13, 2015
This has been one of the greatest places I've worked at. I have worked for Hennepin for almost 2 years, I have been giving many opportunities to work in different departments and learn how they operate on a day to day basis. The supervisors are very supportive of their employees, I really do enjoy working for Hennepin County.
Hennepin good place to work if you don't to really work
Human Service Representative II/Intake (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 13, 2015
I worked at Hennepin County for over 15 years in interviewing persons applying for public assistance.
Job was stressful-and that was okay. However, there isn't any recognition for people who actually do their work on time and correctly while others did poor work, sloppy case work, and never got reprimanded and got the same money. Unions and governments I don't know if that is a good thing-Great place if you want to be lazy and not lose your job-go for it.

Better yet-you'll probably get promoted.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
management is not in tune to employees
Excellent place to work
Service Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 12, 2015
Wonderful customer oriented team that exceeded quarterly goals set for them. Flexible management , very easy to talk to.
A good company to work for
Windows 7 Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 29, 2014
A good company to work for. Would work for them if given the chance