Hennepin County

Hennepin County United States Employee Reviews

Very good company to work for.
Office Specialist (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNApril 29, 2015
Sort, Scan, and Index mail into computer system to be uploaded for caseworkers. Learn how to use Opex machine. Update information for caseworkers when needed.
It's a friendly and save work place.
Senior Planning Analyst (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNMarch 15, 2015
Pros: flexible
Cons: few opportunities to grow.
It's flexible that you can work from any where. Friendly environment and nice co-workers around. Only, there is few opportunities to grow within the organization and some management unfairness.
Not a good place for new employees; staff stay there to get pension; plus they Hennepin Cty requires a 4 week notice before leaving or you lose benefi
Project Manager (Current Employee), Mpls MNFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: pension
Cons: bad hr management that trickles down to supervisor bad manangement
Unfortunately, Hennepin County is the worst place I've worked. Management does not have your back. It is a rule that the supervisor is always right, even when they are very very wrong.

I was asked to help in firing my co-workers, this is awful.

Some good managers are there, but few and far between.

Culture is cold in the IT area; staff nearly always bring up how long they've worked at the County in every meeting; and always can't wait to retire.

I am an I/O Psychologist student and have written many papers and made numerous observations to support this info.
A wonderfully company to work for
Self Service Representative (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNJanuary 13, 2015
This has been one of the greatest places I've worked at. I have worked for Hennepin for almost 2 years, I have been giving many opportunities to work in different departments and learn how they operate on a day to day basis. The supervisors are very supportive of their employees, I really do enjoy working for Hennepin County.
Hennepin good place to work if you don't to really work
Human Service Representative II/Intake (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: management is not in tune to employees
I worked at Hennepin County for over 15 years in interviewing persons applying for public assistance.
Job was stressful-and that was okay. However, there isn't any recognition for people who actually do their work on time and correctly while others did poor work, sloppy case work, and never got reprimanded and got the same money. Unions and governments I don't know if that is a good thing-Great place if you want to be lazy and not lose your job-go for it.

Better yet-you'll probably get promoted.
Excellent place to work
Service Center Representative (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNJanuary 12, 2015
Wonderful customer oriented team that exceeded quarterly goals set for them. Flexible management , very easy to talk to.
A good company to work for
Windows 7 Specialist (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNDecember 29, 2014
A good company to work for. Would work for them if given the chance
laidback place to work
Office Specialist (Current Employee), minneapolisAugust 17, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: poor management
Management needs a HUGE upgrade !!!!!! Benefits are great. Great balance between work and homelife. Very nice co workers overall.
Focus and fun
Office S (Former Employee), MinneapolisJune 4, 2014
Even though I work in a clinic we still have fun with the clients. We like to make them feel good and we are avle to get the job done.
Review
Security Engineer (Current Employee), Hennepin CountyMarch 17, 2014
Involved in many projects (IPv6, MS Office migration, upgrade F5 hardware, etc), but still find time to mentor my co-workers and do day to day support.
Challenging and rewarding work
Supervisor in Child Protection (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: excellent co-workers and good benefits
Cons: funding loss in recent years
Hennepin County child protection serves a very diverse population with over 40% of the population being people of color. There are significant populations of African Americans, East Africans, Latinos and Native Americans from several tribes. It is also a large organization serving thousands of families. With recent budget constraints, difficult decisions have been made to keep true to our core mission of permanency, safety and well being while maintaining children in their homes. I have found the work challenging and rewarding. I have developed friendships which will last forever and have been taught about many other cultures and life experiences. I have learned how to stretch myself and question myself as I continue to learn and grow.
Fine tuned machine of a place to work
Office Specialist III (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: the company help's so many people in so many different ways
Cons: some people fall through the cracks and nothing can be done.
A typical day at work is typing assorted letters and making copies, sending and receiving faxes and scanned documents.

Utilizing computer applications. i.e. Word, Excel, Lotus Notes etc.

I learned how valuable this organization is and how the community uses and needs the resources.

Management is a hard working, fair entity with a heavy work load. in spite of that, management always recognizes it's employee's for their accomplishments.

Co-workers are a dedicated group of people constantly working to bring comfort and ease to the less fortunate on a daily basis in so many levels.

The hardest part of the job was to reject a client due to non qualification; knowing that the client really needed our resources.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the pot luck's at the end of the month, when all departments came together breaking bread and having great conversation.
Helping clients find housing and jobs.
Resource Assistant (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNDecember 11, 2013
Pros: facilitating mfip orientation classes
Cons: this was a temporary position and it paid mimimum wages
I assisted clients with housing and job search. I learned how facilitated MFIP Orientation Classes. I had the best supervisor ever. The hardest part of the job was working for minimum wages. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping clients find housing and jobs.
what i call a fun working palce!
Sales floor in Dairy (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNDecember 1, 2013
1, A typical day at work for me is just doing my job and follow the rules as i complete my task whether is team work or not.
2, I consider a working place as a new experience because not every job is the same so, i ask necessary questions to gain more knowledge about the job that i need to complete.
3, I have been promoted twice as a retail team lead because i take my job serious as i make all my customer and team mates happy.
4, My coworkers always complete my day because with out them its just not fun. its also a way of me making friends.
5, There isn't any hard part of a job as long as you do what you are told and also stick to your plan, make certain goals daily it makes everyone life easier.
6, Honestly the most enjoyable part of my is job interacting with different types of people, making new friends and making a difference in others lives as i complete my daily tasks.
Enjoyed my job, so many people.
Facilities Maintenance and Operating Engineer (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNAugust 22, 2013
Building Maintenance, PMS, Building Automation, operate boilers and chillers.
Not (Former Employee), NotAugust 17, 2013
Pros: a happy environment. not!
Cons: not!
Kind of funny. Not really! Reading the reviews kind of indicated a common problem with large employers. Very poor upper management. Way to many educated folks with lacking abilities dealing with employees and REAL problems necessary to run a business.
I am the Liason from the carpenters union, to hennepin county to the Department of Natural Resources
Carpenter Foreman/STS Crew Chief (Former Employee), Red Wing, MNJune 21, 2013
Pros: excellent position, i am fond of the freedom of having to design and complete a beautiful product
Cons: i don't ever get a break from this project, even the weekend or if i'm vacation, i am the contact person for all the questions and concerns
I typical day is, getting to the site 2 hours before the crew, inventorying each building and supplies, making daily production and vendor goals.
Establishing subcontractor appointments to make sure sequential portions of each building is ready and I assign crew break down tasks, to obtain the most efficiency.
The crew arrives, tasks are assigned, comments and concerns are addressed, and production commences.
Problems arise, I adapt according, shifting goals as required. attending to personal problems, personality conflicts.
I prioritize employees wants and needs, address each but sort out between necessities and conveniences.
I meet with the DNR, and with Hennepin county to address concerns as required.
I very much enjoy the eyes of the customer when they walk into each building for the first time,,,I try very very hard to give the absolute best quality product i am able,
the challenges I meet throughout the project make the final product seem especially satisfying .
I do manage the entire aspect of these projects from the conception stage to the use of these products by the grateful public..
Good place to work for
Office Specialist III (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNMay 6, 2013
They are a good company to work for but are limited to what you are able to do in terms of moving up.
Company Review
No longer work there (Former Employee), MinneapolisMay 1, 2013
Pros: government benefits
Cons: lack of direction, everything is a crisis, and ceo should be removed
CEO is terrible--has no vision or clue how to manage people or a business. Nearly all of her directors left to other organizations because of her lack of direction and poor management. This organization is all about clicks and who you know not what you know. I would not recommend working for this organization. I can't tell you how happy I am getting out and moving on. This is not a Health Plan it is a Government Unit.
not good, micromanagement
Community Health Specialist (Former Employee), minneapolisApril 15, 2013
Cons: bad upper management down to line supervisors
my department supervisor at Metropolitan was terrible. No advancement opportunities

Hennepin County Salaries