Hennepin County Employee Reviews

Workplace with a great deal of Diversity
Mental Health Personnel (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNJuly 10, 2015
Working at the Hennepin County Medical Center is redefining compassion to me. I am also learning the art of communication as well as dealing with very difficult situations.
Hennepin County is a great place to work if you want to serve people
Project Manager (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJuly 7, 2015
Being the to be the largest county in MN means they have to be well organized and use IT as a way to automate their work. They serve a large and diverse community. I was impressed with their services such as the land records, social services, mental health, economic assistance, and justice. There are some extremely talented people there such as the person in HCMC who started up "car seat clinics."
I worked there for over 20 years. Good pay; I learned a lot about myself; the profession-court systems
Social Worker (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJune 28, 2015
Pros: Good paying jobs
Cons: High caseloads
The number of cases could be high. Good pay. It could be very stressful; you need to be able to find ways to take care of yourself-physically and emotionally.
Good place to work, good benefits
Human Services Representative (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJune 11, 2015
Pros: Helping people, good co-workers who want to help you succeed.
Cons: If you are having personal issues, you may just be fired instead of having someone ask if things are ok, or if there is something going on they should be aware of, not being able to help some people because of maximum time frames or income issues.
I miss my job at Hennepin County. I worked as a Human Services Representative. The training was intensive and if you can get through the probation period it's a great place to work. Unfortunately I was let go due to some problems with an undisclosed disability when I was without my needed medication due to a doctor/pharmacy miscommunication. If given the chance I would go back in a heart beat now that everything has been cleared up. It's enjoyable to be able to help get people the help that they need when they have fallen on hard times. It was hard at time when regulations prevented you from giving benefits but there were alternative resources to give to clients. A typical day at work included processing new applications and benefit renewals, as well as meeting with clients in person.
Great Leadership
Lead Security Officer (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNJune 10, 2015
Pros: Meeting new people
Cons: None
The management team encourages internal promotions and allows us time to take classes to improve ourselves as Security Officers. I do weapons screening several hours a day, along with foot patrol, and teaching EMS classes. I also manage 5 officers to ensure they are doing their duties and they are where they are suppose to be. There are roughly 60 County Officers and about 100 contract officers that I work with, all of whom I consider the best in the business.The hardest part of my job I think would be the variety of medical calls we get. Each and every one is different. I love my job. I love interacting with the public and helping them solve problems, or just being an ear for them to listen.
Very good company to work for.
Office Specialist (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNApril 29, 2015
Sort, Scan, and Index mail into computer system to be uploaded for caseworkers. Learn how to use Opex machine. Update information for caseworkers when needed.
It's a friendly and save work place.
Senior Planning Analyst (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNMarch 15, 2015
Pros: flexible
Cons: few opportunities to grow.
It's flexible that you can work from any where. Friendly environment and nice co-workers around. Only, there is few opportunities to grow within the organization and some management unfairness.
Not a good place for new employees; staff stay there to get pension; plus they Hennepin Cty requires a 4 week notice before leaving or you lose benefi
Project Manager (Current Employee), Mpls MNFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: pension
Cons: bad hr management that trickles down to supervisor bad manangement
Unfortunately, Hennepin County is the worst place I've worked. Management does not have your back. It is a rule that the supervisor is always right, even when they are very very wrong.

I was asked to help in firing my co-workers, this is awful.

Some good managers are there, but few and far between.

Culture is cold in the IT area; staff nearly always bring up how long they've worked at the County in every meeting; and always can't wait to retire.

I am an I/O Psychologist student and have written many papers and made numerous observations to support this info.
A wonderfully company to work for
Self Service Representative (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNJanuary 13, 2015
This has been one of the greatest places I've worked at. I have worked for Hennepin for almost 2 years, I have been giving many opportunities to work in different departments and learn how they operate on a day to day basis. The supervisors are very supportive of their employees, I really do enjoy working for Hennepin County.
Hennepin good place to work if you don't to really work
Human Service Representative II/Intake (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: management is not in tune to employees
I worked at Hennepin County for over 15 years in interviewing persons applying for public assistance.
Job was stressful-and that was okay. However, there isn't any recognition for people who actually do their work on time and correctly while others did poor work, sloppy case work, and never got reprimanded and got the same money. Unions and governments I don't know if that is a good thing-Great place if you want to be lazy and not lose your job-go for it.

Better yet-you'll probably get promoted.
Excellent place to work
Service Center Representative (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNJanuary 12, 2015
Wonderful customer oriented team that exceeded quarterly goals set for them. Flexible management , very easy to talk to.
A good company to work for
Windows 7 Specialist (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNDecember 29, 2014
A good company to work for. Would work for them if given the chance
laidback place to work
Office Specialist (Current Employee), minneapolisAugust 17, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: poor management
Management needs a HUGE upgrade !!!!!! Benefits are great. Great balance between work and homelife. Very nice co workers overall.
Focus and fun
Office S (Former Employee), MinneapolisJune 4, 2014
Even though I work in a clinic we still have fun with the clients. We like to make them feel good and we are avle to get the job done.
Review
Security Engineer (Current Employee), Hennepin CountyMarch 17, 2014
Involved in many projects (IPv6, MS Office migration, upgrade F5 hardware, etc), but still find time to mentor my co-workers and do day to day support.
Challenging and rewarding work
Supervisor in Child Protection (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: excellent co-workers and good benefits
Cons: funding loss in recent years
Hennepin County child protection serves a very diverse population with over 40% of the population being people of color. There are significant populations of African Americans, East Africans, Latinos and Native Americans from several tribes. It is also a large organization serving thousands of families. With recent budget constraints, difficult decisions have been made to keep true to our core mission of permanency, safety and well being while maintaining children in their homes. I have found the work challenging and rewarding. I have developed friendships which will last forever and have been taught about many other cultures and life experiences. I have learned how to stretch myself and question myself as I continue to learn and grow.
Fine tuned machine of a place to work
Office Specialist III (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: the company help's so many people in so many different ways
Cons: some people fall through the cracks and nothing can be done.
A typical day at work is typing assorted letters and making copies, sending and receiving faxes and scanned documents.

Utilizing computer applications. i.e. Word, Excel, Lotus Notes etc.

I learned how valuable this organization is and how the community uses and needs the resources.

Management is a hard working, fair entity with a heavy work load. in spite of that, management always recognizes it's employee's for their accomplishments.

Co-workers are a dedicated group of people constantly working to bring comfort and ease to the less fortunate on a daily basis in so many levels.

The hardest part of the job was to reject a client due to non qualification; knowing that the client really needed our resources.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the pot luck's at the end of the month, when all departments came together breaking bread and having great conversation.
Helping clients find housing and jobs.
Resource Assistant (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNDecember 11, 2013
Pros: facilitating mfip orientation classes
Cons: this was a temporary position and it paid mimimum wages
I assisted clients with housing and job search. I learned how facilitated MFIP Orientation Classes. I had the best supervisor ever. The hardest part of the job was working for minimum wages. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping clients find housing and jobs.
Loved working there!
Taxpayer Service Representative (Former Employee), Edina, MNAugust 22, 2013
It was a great place to work. I was let go when Hennepin County had to lay off 260 employees. There was 3 employees that was let go from my office, and they went by seniority. I would love to go back someday, when the economy picks up again.
Enjoyed my job, so many people.
Facilities Maintenance and Operating Engineer (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNAugust 22, 2013
Building Maintenance, PMS, Building Automation, operate boilers and chillers.