Hennepin County Employee Reviews

Great potential that falls short
FOSTER CARE TRAINING COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 18, 2016
This job in social services promised more than it was able to deliver. Our most vulnerable residents did not receive the attention and services they were told of. But it is part of a larger system issue that spouts platitudes rather than caring for its people.
Pros
They hire the best people.
Cons
Unrealistic work loads.
Don't work here or anywhere else if you have a choice
Human Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 12, 2016
People brag about the benefits the county offers, but I recommend you look beyond benefits and do work that you enjoy as well when considering any employment.
Good work enviroment
Senior Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Medina, MNOctober 5, 2016
I enjoy working here and i enjoy the employees that i work with on the projects and in the office. i hope that i can Finnish my career here and continue to build good working relationships.
Horrible place to work
Clerical Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 12, 2016
Favoritism,unprofessional management and hostile. The sheriffs department is the worst. DOCCR is a very close second, it's an aweful place to work, don't get caught in it. If I could start over I would never have applied at Hennepin county.
Pros
it's a job
Cons
Bullies, terrible management
Great experience/ enjoyed my time
Engineering Technician Aide - Surveyor/Inspector (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNAugust 31, 2016
My time working for Hennepin County as an Engineering Technician Aide was very valuable work experience. I performed a diverse amount of task as both a surveyor and inspector on a number of job sites and locations. Working alongside and collaborating with professional engineers was essential to my personal growth as a engineer. I was appreciative that my superiors were both patient and helpful while teaching me new tasks and procedures. The biggest takeaway of my time there, was a further understanding of the processes necessary for construction projects lifecycle.
Pros
Gained valuable experience and learned a lot
Cons
Would have liked to work more with the design engineers
Heenpin County
Senior Learning and Development Consultant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 25, 2016
One of the largest counties in the state of Minnesota that provides services to the Minneapolis area and surrounding first tier cities.
Pros
Asset to the majority of the communities it services.
Cons
Continually put staff in leadership roles w/o adequate training and skills, to deal with culturles and races other than their own.
A good paying job with good benifits.
Office Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 22, 2016
Self start, check the files to see if paper work is in there that need to be done or I have paper work on my desk that I have to complete. Answer calls and serve customers at the counter that ring the bell.

Every day I learn different ways to process paper work.
Management is nice, patient, respectful and very helpful.

we work as a team or along and very helpful to on another.

Is making sure you have completed every step of your paper work because there are several steps to every job.

Knowing your job and doing it correctly, and just enjoy being a county worker it is a pleasure.
Pros
Down time sometime there is nothing to do.
Cons
very short breaks when we have a deadline.
Why am I asked to review this org? I already did.
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 9, 2016
Why am I asked to review this org? I already did. Why am I asked to review this org? I already did. Why am I asked to review this org? I already dWhy am I asked to review this org? I already did.id. Why am I asked to review this org? I already did.Why am I asked to review this org? I already did.
excellent career choice for variety with hard work
SR Support Supervisor (Former Employee) –  HCMC, Courts, Govt Center IT, HCLibraryJuly 31, 2016
Right out of college I started a clerical position at HCMC. If you are willing to work hard, there are many opportunities within Henn Co for a variety of jobs.I worked in the Courts, IT, and the Library system for a total of 30+ years. Made lifelong friends, and had very interesting jobs. Don't be afraid to transfer departments.
Pros
Good education opportunities, ability to move laterly and up
Cons
short/no breaks, poor back up from upper management
I was a hard worker while at this company, the reason for my leaving was a got a job closer to home while my children was small. I loved this company
Administrative Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 6, 2016
I really love any company that offers me what I need and that is allow me to serve people and assist them in any way possible. Great company to work for
Pros
Are you willing to share your learned knowledge with others, and my answer was certainly.
Slow, frustrating and non-cooperative
Planning Analyst (Community Alternative Liaison) (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 30, 2016
Government really does move at a snails pace and during my tenure
at Hennepin County that was the status quo. Limited able to effect change in a gratifying way. Working with large collaborative teams offered great opportunities to learn and devolpe on an on going basis.
Pros
Great benefits, gain experience
Cons
Short breaks, lack of support from upper management
Tech Savvy
Internship (Former Employee) –  Richfield, MNJune 1, 2016
If you're into electronics then this is your place. Recommending products and helping customers understand the products they want to purchase.
Challenging and rewarding days
Juvenile Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 11, 2016
The job has the potential for long hours and unpredictable scheduling. It can be hard on family life. It is however very rewarding if you enjoy working with youth and making an impact on young lives.
Hennepin county is Great
IT Change Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 3, 2016
easily move between different positions, advancement opportunities, laid back mentality. parking sucks, but the job environment has improved immensely. Renovations have been done, and people are always on the move. put in your 8 hours and you are done. no overtime required.
Education Dept is hostile work environment -lots of favoritism exclusive
Insrtuctor (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MnJanuary 23, 2016
I have never seen such unfair, non inclusive behavior in my life. Poor work ethic, employees who are non inclusive to the point of hostility. Life long teachers are very non-inclusive and
Program Management is very unprofessional and lacks both competence and fairness, only cares about getting support of those who are revered and those with the same gender preference. Blatant favoritism and incompetence. As one employee put it, "the sheriff's Department takes care of its own.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Non inclusive, unfair employees, incompetence, nepotism.
This place is the worse to work
medical assistant (Former Employee) –  Health Care for the HomelessJanuary 6, 2016
This place is the worse to work, yes you travel to different homeless shelters, however the management has it's favorites that do little to no traveling at all. Management needs training on how to be resourceful with their staff. If you ever wanted to work at ground zero this is the place. The experience was a real eye-opener to how hidden segregation exsist. For all the money in in fort knox. I would never work for the Hennepin County ever.
Pros
The County
Cons
Segregation to the fullest
Security Officer Lead (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 31, 2015
Love it great place to work fun hard working people to work with and for . satisfying, enjoyable and rewarding and most employers treat their workers fairly HC treats theirs even better.
Productive and fun
Juvenile Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 24, 2015
The management team would be very passive aggressive. However, there were some leaders that did not mind coaching you and not worrying about their bosses. I thought those managers were excellent at their job because they displayed true character and loyalty.
very professional people to work with. Managers are very friendly and helpful
Human Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 25, 2015
we will have brief 15 minutes meeting every morning for updates

report/receive any urgent message from managers/supervisors

follow up on pending cases to either approve it or deny.

call on clients to ask for documents
Pros
friendly environment and clean place to work at
Cons
Too many case loads for every single employee
Very Rewarding Job Experience
Office Specialist III -Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 20, 2015
I was consistently challenged to learn and develop new skills that assisted in my personal and professional growth. A very memorable and enriching eight years.