Hennepin County

Hennepin County Employer Reviews

laidback place to work
Office Specialist (Current Employee), minneapolisAugust 17, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: poor management
Management needs a HUGE upgrade !!!!!! Benefits are great. Great balance between work and homelife. Very nice co workers overall.
Focus and fun
Office S (Former Employee), MinneapolisJune 4, 2014
Even though I work in a clinic we still have fun with the clients. We like to make them feel good and we are avle to get the job done.
Review
Security Engineer (Current Employee), Hennepin CountyMarch 17, 2014
Involved in many projects (IPv6, MS Office migration, upgrade F5 hardware, etc), but still find time to mentor my co-workers and do day to day support.
Fine tuned machine of a place to work
Office Specialist III (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: the company help's so many people in so many different ways
Cons: some people fall through the cracks and nothing can be done.
A typical day at work is typing assorted letters and making copies, sending and receiving faxes and scanned documents.

Utilizing computer applications. i.e. Word, Excel, Lotus Notes etc.

I learned how valuable this organization is and how the community uses and needs the resources.

Management is a hard working, fair entity with a heavy work load. – more... in spite of that, management always recognizes it's employee's for their accomplishments.

Co-workers are a dedicated group of people constantly working to bring comfort and ease to the less fortunate on a daily basis in so many levels.

The hardest part of the job was to reject a client due to non qualification; knowing that the client really needed our resources.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the pot luck's at the end of the month, when all departments came together breaking bread and having great conversation. – less
Helping clients find housing and jobs.
Resource Assistant (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNDecember 11, 2013
Pros: facilitating mfip orientation classes
Cons: this was a temporary position and it paid mimimum wages
I assisted clients with housing and job search. I learned how facilitated MFIP Orientation Classes. I had the best supervisor ever. The hardest part of the job was working for minimum wages. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping clients find housing and jobs.
what i call a fun working palce!
Sales floor in Dairy (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNDecember 1, 2013
1, A typical day at work for me is just doing my job and follow the rules as i complete my task whether is team work or not.
2, I consider a working place as a new experience because not every job is the same so, i ask necessary questions to gain more knowledge about the job that i need to complete.
3, I have been promoted twice as a retail team lead – more... because i take my job serious as i make all my customer and team mates happy.
4, My coworkers always complete my day because with out them its just not fun. its also a way of me making friends.
5, There isn't any hard part of a job as long as you do what you are told and also stick to your plan, make certain goals daily it makes everyone life easier.
6, Honestly the most enjoyable part of my is job interacting with different types of people, making new friends and making a difference in others lives as i complete my daily tasks. – less
Loved working there!
Taxpayer Service Representative (Former Employee), Edina, MNAugust 22, 2013
It was a great place to work. I was let go when Hennepin County had to lay off 260 employees. There was 3 employees that was let go from my office, and they went by seniority. I would love to go back someday, when the economy picks up again.
Enjoyed my job, so many people.
Facilities Maintenance and Operating Engineer (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNAugust 22, 2013
Building Maintenance, PMS, Building Automation, operate boilers and chillers.
Not (Former Employee), NotAugust 17, 2013
Pros: a happy environment. not!
Cons: not!
Kind of funny. Not really! Reading the reviews kind of indicated a common problem with large employers. Very poor upper management. Way to many educated folks with lacking abilities dealing with employees and REAL problems necessary to run a business.
I am the Liason from the carpenters union, to hennepin county to the Department of Natural Resources
Carpenter Foreman/STS Crew Chief (Former Employee), Red Wing, MNJune 21, 2013
Pros: excellent position, i am fond of the freedom of having to design and complete a beautiful product
Cons: i don't ever get a break from this project, even the weekend or if i'm vacation, i am the contact person for all the questions and concerns
I typical day is, getting to the site 2 hours before the crew, inventorying each building and supplies, making daily production and vendor goals.
Establishing subcontractor appointments to make sure sequential portions of each building is ready and I assign crew break down tasks, to obtain the most efficiency.
The crew arrives, tasks are assigned, comments – more... and concerns are addressed, and production commences.
Problems arise, I adapt according, shifting goals as required. attending to personal problems, personality conflicts.
I prioritize employees wants and needs, address each but sort out between necessities and conveniences.
I meet with the DNR, and with Hennepin county to address concerns as required.
I very much enjoy the eyes of the customer when they walk into each building for the first time,,,I try very very hard to give the absolute best quality product i am able,
the challenges I meet throughout the project make the final product seem especially satisfying .
I do manage the entire aspect of these projects from the conception stage to the use of these products by the grateful public.. – less
Good place to work for
Office Specialist III (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNMay 6, 2013
They are a good company to work for but are limited to what you are able to do in terms of moving up.
Company Review
No longer work there (Former Employee), MinneapolisMay 1, 2013
Pros: government benefits
Cons: lack of direction, everything is a crisis, and ceo should be removed
CEO is terrible--has no vision or clue how to manage people or a business. Nearly all of her directors left to other organizations because of her lack of direction and poor management. This organization is all about clicks and who you know not what you know. I would not recommend working for this organization. I can't tell you how happy I am getting – more... out and moving on. This is not a Health Plan it is a Government Unit. – less
not good, micromanagement
Community Health Specialist (Former Employee), minneapolisApril 15, 2013
Cons: bad upper management down to line supervisors
my department supervisor at Metropolitan was terrible. No advancement opportunities
Great benefits, good workers
Adoption Home Study/Foster Care Social Worker (Current Employee), Minnetonka, MNApril 12, 2013
Similar to other county work

Management tries to connect with line staff
Hennepin County Financial Assistance--A Horrible Place to Work
Financial Worker (Former Employee), Ramar Bldg., Minneapolis MNMarch 15, 2013
Pros: benefits, healthcare
Cons: bad supervisors, high stress, awful people to work with
I worked for Hennepin County Financial Assistance, Ramar Building for three years during the 1980s and it was a horrible, denigrating experience. I was a "financial worker" as the county called its employees, and worked on a cramped office that contained 125 persons-- it was awful. My unit contained 14 employees and had two job share supervisors and – more... these two would cause untold problems. They took great pleasure in giving "written notices" for the slightest infractions and were generally miserable people. I cannot emphasize the enormity of the misery which we had to endure. They would even penalize you for working overtime. – less
Awesome place to work
Customer service-bilingual (Spanish) (Former Employee), Brooklyn Center, MNMarch 13, 2013
Pros: 45 min lunch/great crew trainers
Cons: no cons
Typical day was with employees and customers!! Lots of people from all cultures to meet!
The hardest part of the job is staying motivated
Financial Case Aide (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNOctober 28, 2012
Pros: get lucky and hopefully you will be on a good motivated team.
Cons: too much disparity among the supervisors as how to get the job done.
A typical day at the County was working to stay motivated, you have some employees that are consistant, steady, dedicated and take pride in doing a correct and timely job. Then you got other employees that are the exact opposite, lazy, unmotivated, don't care, sloppy work or no work, the balance on a day to day basis is difficult to stay motivated, – more... it makes seems like the motivated employees are doing the work for their lazy co-workers and everyone get paid on the same day. – less
Great Learning Experience
District Court Externship (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNOctober 18, 2012
As an extern I learned so much observing and working with Judge Howard.
Outstanding opportunity and strong management team.
Human Services Supervisor/Vocational Counselor (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJune 30, 2012
Very strong support to build programs that serve county residents in creative ways.
Good company
Human Resources Specialist III (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJune 26, 2012
I learned a lot at this company, my skill set was increased. Management was willing to teach you things you may not have known. I loved that the company was willing to train.