Hennepin County Employee Reviews

Great benefits, work/life balance, and salary
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 4, 2017
Typical day at work varies from various project management to scheduling, logistics coordination, facilitated conversations, and various communications.
Pros
benefits, diversity, health incentives
Cons
high level of resilency needed to go with the county flow
Great
Child Protective Services Worker (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 31, 2017
Great team atmosphere! Love my job and i would recommend this job to any one that asks. I really do not have anymore to say but this form is requiring more words.
Pros
Great pay
Hennepin County is great! The JDC is terrible.
Juvenile Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 6, 2017
Would highly recommend that you look else where if you are looking at jobs in Corrections. I am currently an employee at the Hennepin County JDC & have been so for the past year and a half. I am currently job shopping as this is a HORRIBLE place to work.

Some examples include but are not limited to:
-Poor pay
-Unsafe environment (high resident to staff ratio)
-Forced over time
-Poor shift patterns
-High turnover
-Year long probationary period for new employees
-Ineffective upper management
-Poor Union representation (although they won't mind taking your $$$ on a monthly basis)
-Very few opportunities for advancement within the institution or moving outside the institution
-Very negative culture

As I said, please look elsewhere for employment. If you become employed here you will regret it 100%! I know I have...
Pros
Health insurance, dental, retirement
Cons
Anything & Everything you can think of!
Good community to work wiith
IT Specialist Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 28, 2017
I did receive my expectation of increasing and improving knowledge. Good team work with. I liked my supervisor. She was helpful when I needed her.
Pros
Good teamwork
Cons
No parking in Downtown
Work place
Sr ED Revenue Cycle Management Representative (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 20, 2017
Great place to work. This company embraces culture and diversity. We see a variety of patients from all over. The staff members and mangers are friendly and promote growth.
Great place to work & amazing team members/management
Public Health Nutritionist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 9, 2017
Excellent team leadership throughout the program. Management team as a whole are exceptionally great role models. Work life balance is very appreciated. The only negative would be the pay/salary is on the lower end but the health/dental benefits for Hennepin County are great especially if you have a family.
Review
Manager (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 27, 2016
Over 70 hours a week
Micro-management,
co-worker environment (A no work life balance)
Hardest part of job was management styles
Enjoyed the work however environment was restricting
Pros
Work
Cons
Manager
Great potential that falls short
FOSTER CARE TRAINING COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 18, 2016
This job in social services promised more than it was able to deliver. Our most vulnerable residents did not receive the attention and services they were told of. But it is part of a larger system issue that spouts platitudes rather than caring for its people.
Pros
They hire the best people.
Cons
Unrealistic work loads.
Don't work here or anywhere else if you have a choice
Human Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 12, 2016
People brag about the benefits the county offers, but I recommend you look beyond benefits and do work that you enjoy as well when considering any employment.
Good work enviroment
Senior Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Medina, MNOctober 5, 2016
I enjoy working here and i enjoy the employees that i work with on the projects and in the office. i hope that i can Finnish my career here and continue to build good working relationships.
Horrible place to work
Clerical Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 12, 2016
Favoritism,unprofessional management and hostile. The sheriffs department is the worst. DOCCR is a very close second, it's an aweful place to work, don't get caught in it. If I could start over I would never have applied at Hennepin county.
Pros
it's a job
Cons
Bullies, terrible management
Great experience/ enjoyed my time
Engineering Technician Aide - Surveyor/Inspector (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNAugust 31, 2016
My time working for Hennepin County as an Engineering Technician Aide was very valuable work experience. I performed a diverse amount of task as both a surveyor and inspector on a number of job sites and locations. Working alongside and collaborating with professional engineers was essential to my personal growth as a engineer. I was appreciative that my superiors were both patient and helpful while teaching me new tasks and procedures. The biggest takeaway of my time there, was a further understanding of the processes necessary for construction projects lifecycle.
Pros
Gained valuable experience and learned a lot
Cons
Would have liked to work more with the design engineers
Heenpin County
Senior Learning and Development Consultant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 25, 2016
One of the largest counties in the state of Minnesota that provides services to the Minneapolis area and surrounding first tier cities.
Pros
Asset to the majority of the communities it services.
Cons
Continually put staff in leadership roles w/o adequate training and skills, to deal with culturles and races other than their own.
A good paying job with good benifits.
Office Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 22, 2016
Self start, check the files to see if paper work is in there that need to be done or I have paper work on my desk that I have to complete. Answer calls and serve customers at the counter that ring the bell.

Every day I learn different ways to process paper work.
Management is nice, patient, respectful and very helpful.

we work as a team or along and very helpful to on another.

Is making sure you have completed every step of your paper work because there are several steps to every job.

Knowing your job and doing it correctly, and just enjoy being a county worker it is a pleasure.
Pros
Down time sometime there is nothing to do.
Cons
very short breaks when we have a deadline.
Why am I asked to review this org? I already did.
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 9, 2016
Why am I asked to review this org? I already did. Why am I asked to review this org? I already did. Why am I asked to review this org? I already dWhy am I asked to review this org? I already did.id. Why am I asked to review this org? I already did.Why am I asked to review this org? I already did.
excellent career choice for variety with hard work
SR Support Supervisor (Former Employee) –  HCMC, Courts, Govt Center IT, HCLibraryJuly 31, 2016
Right out of college I started a clerical position at HCMC. If you are willing to work hard, there are many opportunities within Henn Co for a variety of jobs.I worked in the Courts, IT, and the Library system for a total of 30+ years. Made lifelong friends, and had very interesting jobs. Don't be afraid to transfer departments.
Pros
Good education opportunities, ability to move laterly and up
Cons
short/no breaks, poor back up from upper management
I was a hard worker while at this company, the reason for my leaving was a got a job closer to home while my children was small. I loved this company
Administrative Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 6, 2016
I really love any company that offers me what I need and that is allow me to serve people and assist them in any way possible. Great company to work for
Pros
Are you willing to share your learned knowledge with others, and my answer was certainly.
Slow, frustrating and non-cooperative
Planning Analyst (Community Alternative Liaison) (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 30, 2016
Government really does move at a snails pace and during my tenure
at Hennepin County that was the status quo. Limited able to effect change in a gratifying way. Working with large collaborative teams offered great opportunities to learn and devolpe on an on going basis.
Pros
Great benefits, gain experience
Cons
Short breaks, lack of support from upper management
Tech Savvy
Internship (Former Employee) –  Richfield, MNJune 1, 2016
If you're into electronics then this is your place. Recommending products and helping customers understand the products they want to purchase.
Challenging and rewarding days
Juvenile Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 11, 2016
The job has the potential for long hours and unpredictable scheduling. It can be hard on family life. It is however very rewarding if you enjoy working with youth and making an impact on young lives.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hennepin County. Our community is ready to answer.