Henrico County Public Schools Employee Reviews

productive and fun work place.
Custodian Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 15, 2016
My work day was very productive. I would to the important work first. Then read my emails after covering lots of grounds then I would make a list things that I would like to get done that day and keep it on my desk at all times by prioritizing my work and breaking it down into small achievable pieces greatly increase the chance of having a very satisfied and accomplish day.
Pros
free lunch, etc
Cons
short breaks, benefits, etc
Students were the best part of job
Cafeteria Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 20, 2016
The meal periods were short and the work pace was fast. Getting more support from field supervisors and management would have made it a great job.
Pros
Benifits were good
Cons
Students with no money for lunch
Same as Certified Board Substitute
Certified Board Substitute (Former Employee) –  Henrico County, VAOctober 10, 2016
Nelson Mandela once said, "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." In 2015, I stepped into the world of teaching as a Board Substitute, which is very different from a certificated standard substitute. My role was dependant on lesson planning, classroom management, parent and student interaction, counselor and co-worker. The demands placed on teachers are exorbitant and require a steady mindset and willingness to help future generations become their very best.

The hardest part of the job was realizing that each student had to make a decision to want/desire their education as there were many students that simply attended school as a requirement. However, with that came the students that enjoyed school and yearned daily for more knowledge; it was these students that helped make the long nights of grading and lesson preparation all worthwhile.
Pros
Same as Prior
Cons
Same as Prior
administrative assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 11, 2016
A typical day is very busy, no one day is ever the same. The hardest part of my job is calendar management. The most enjoyable part of my day is when my in basket is empty and I have responded to all emails.
Pros
Great benefits
Limited promotion opportunties
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Henrico County, VANovember 7, 2016
Continuous professional development in-services; students challenging to work with due to unwillingness to cooperate. There is minimal effective and consistent assistance with student discipline.
Pros
Daily work hours
Cons
Short lunch 20 min, Expected to cover absent teachers' classes at times
Progressive working environment, but demanding and overworked
Algebra 1 Instructor (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAAugust 24, 2015
I loved my assigned position! There were many wonderful professional development ops and networking, but I had no life outside of this job! The workload was unbelievable and compensation hardly worth the stress. I went to work an hour early and left three hours late, daily. I was forced to parent please, despite how inappropriate/ unethical their requests were.
Pros
professional development, helpful coworkers
Cons
Low pay, unreasonable job expectations, unethical administration
Great people - great job
Human Resources Office Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Henrico County, VAOctober 24, 2016
A nice, working operation that loves to help and support their employees (new and existing). Learned that their are businesses that truly do care about their employees and their well being. Co-workers were wonderful to work with.
A day as a substitute
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  East End DistrictAugust 8, 2016
Henrico County Public Schools has been a challenging and rewarding work place. They strive to put student education and family life balance at the fore front of their curriculum. As a substitute I worked in Pre-K-4 grade classrooms. Teachers left detail lesson plans that were easy to implement which made the work day manageable.
Enjoyable workpalce
TEACHERS ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Henrico, VANovember 16, 2016
I enjoy working with children different personalities, the hours, the school system. Its a great way to make changes in young people lives. And its a great work environment.
I thoroughly enjoy working as a substitute teacher for Henrico. I'm very pleased with all the assistance and guidance that's offered by teachers.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Laburnum Elementary SchoolApril 15, 2016
I genuinely enjoy carrying out with a teachers lesson plans and helping students to learn new material. The teachers at each school I substitute at are very accommodating and make me feel comfortable enough to ask them any questions I might have regarding the class I have for the day. The hardest part of my job making sure the classroom volume doesn't become too loud. The most enjoyable aspect of my job is helping students learn new material in a way they can understand.
An innovative technology minded county
Biology Teacher (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 16, 2013
I sell myself everyday! I connect with the students and co workers and have a proven record of high passing rates on the state tests.

My admistration is stella. There are high expectations, respect and appreciation; inpsiring me to strive higher.

I teach three subjects: biology, BIO II and oceanography, and need to be adapaptable not only to subject matter, but changes in our daily schedules.

Students comei nto my classroom with many issues. I allow a safe place and they know I care; therefore they are receptive to learning.

I enjoy when there is a connection and studnets have that Ah Ha! moment!
Pros
use of laptop for persoal use as well as work. time off
Cons
compensation, responsibilities placed on teachers not only to teach, but fill-in where parents are lacking
School Day
Office Assistant IV (Current Employee) –  Henrico County, VAApril 12, 2016
A typical day a work is very busy, and lot of Multi-tasking and prioritizing work duties. The day goes by very fast. Lots of inter-acting with parents, students and staff.
Pros
close to home
Cons
advancement
Great place to learn
instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Henrico, VAJuly 14, 2015
Was able to use your own strategies and the programs to help the students. Lots of fun with the students during field day and trips. Different personalities makes the job hard at times. Very understanding and nice administration
Pros
lunches and special treats in our mail boxes
Cons
not a permanet position no benefits
Schools
Office Assistant/Clerical Substitute (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 18, 2016
Working for the school system has been amazing. Although I am only a clerical substitute, the staff at each school I've worked at has been welcoming and understanding.
A place where you can learn a lot if you use your time wisely
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 20, 2012
A typical day you get you assignments for that day and we went out and took care of it.I learn to operate a variety of heavy equipment. management was very understanding and we all got along. All the co workers got along great. Was the down time on rainy days. The comradery between the employees.
Pros
you can use your down time to learn the equipment
benefits
Excellent school system!
Social Studies Teacher (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 27, 2016
Henrico County Public Schools is an excellent school system. The teachers are motivated and energetic. The school system is driven by the goal of providing stellar education and equal opportunities to all students and families. I thoroughly enjoyed my time teaching in Henrico County.
good place to start somewhere
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 16, 2014
certain postions will be given a opportunity to grow and some people wont. Show alot of favoritism to certain people and certain schools. Good benefits for the ones that actually does work get paid the lowest. Havent seen a raise in years.
benefits
Cons
low pay, no ot
Good job with great benefits
Pupil Transportation (Current Employee) –  Henrico, VAApril 13, 2015
I enjoy my job love my time off. The job has great benefits. Overall a great place to work. I enjoy the time I get to spend with my family. The people are great to work with.
Pros
Lots of time off
Cons
Not so great pay
Sub work
Substitute and permanent (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 5, 2016
Another instance of a typical sub job. I was able to make some connections, and it's honestly what led me to become the choral director at Hermitage High.
Learned a lot of things
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 10, 2016
Very early mornings.
Allof the diffent areas in Richmond VA.
I meet some very nice people.
Have a four hour break and having to come back to work.
Hearing about the kids day at school.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Henrico County Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Henrico County Public Schools Reviews by Location