Henrico County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Its a ok place to work i work from 6 a.m -2:30 pm so i get free lunch,kids talk my head off allday but makes the dau go by..
Custodian/Janitor (Current Employee) –  Henrico County, VAOctober 18, 2017
Great place to work enjoy being around the kids since I work dat shift..shirt breaks ...great benefits..long Christmas break..and whenever there's a code 0 no work with pay..
Pros
Free lunch, free breakfast, free steel toes every 6 month, benefits, long christmas break with pay.
Cons
Fast past working by myself on day shift.
You must enjoy working in education with students
Registrar - Henrico High School (Former Employee) –  Henrico, VAOctober 16, 2017
Great place to work fellow employees great and supportive. Training excellent. Benefits great. Must be a hard worker willing to sacrifice time. Part time opportunities available.
Hard Work, Good People
Math Teacher (Current Employee) –  Henrico County, VAOctober 11, 2017
Teaching isn't easy. You have good admin and bad admin, but if you know how to play the game and balance your work out, Henrico is a great place to teach.
your a sub!
Long-Term Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 3, 2017
The kids are surprisingly helpful sometimes. The other teachers are great! The day fly's by, you can't believe it. The pay is ok, it's great if you need to have the flexibility to not go in one day.
Pros
the kids
Cons
the pay
I would have to say I look forward to working with a team that appreciate collaboration and having a good time everyday.
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Henrico County, VAOctober 3, 2017
As a first year teacher, I had poor leadership, lack of support, did not have a very good foundation for me to thrive at the school. Not happy there .
Pros
Love the students.
Cons
Too many back stabbers.
Great Place if you are connected to the Right People
Family Advocate (Current Employee) –  Henrico County, VASeptember 25, 2017
Henrico County Public Schools is a great place to work especially if you are a member of the Delta Sorority! They definitely look out for their sisters who pledged as one. The climate is pretty laid back. Just like any other place you will find cliques there but it's best to stay focused on what you are really there for. I love how you get to meet and interact with such a diverse group of individuals. pretty decent place to work, especially if you are a Delta!
Pros
Pretty safe and open work environment
Cons
Sorority sister's get the Jobs first, regardless of experience!
Great School System
Exceptional Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Henrico County, VASeptember 15, 2017
Very rewarding and intense can be stressful at times. One of the most fulfilling jobs I have ever had.
Pros
Rewarding helping students learn
Cons
Poor administration - Inexperienced and inconsistent
Enjoyable and fun
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  VASeptember 10, 2017
Would recomend to anyone that enjoys driving and dealing with children on a daily basis. Paid monthly with generous paid leave time sick and personal.
Pros
Paid leave time
Cons
Stressful
Rewarding
INSTRUCTIONAL ASSISTANT - EXCEPTIONAL EDUCATION (Current Employee) –  Henrico, VAAugust 24, 2017
I would love to do this for a career if the pay was equal to the risk
Pros
very rewarding but intense
Cons
Stressful
Great school system
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Henrico County, VAAugust 15, 2017
It is a great school system. The teachers are very helpful. The staff is very friendly. The school system is well organized. I would recommend anybody to this school system.
workplace
Pre-K Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 15, 2017
Everything depends on the department you work in and the people you know. Overall the county can be a really good organization to work for and the benefits are great. The best part of the job is the positive impact you can make in a child's life and watching them grow, learn and get excited when they succeed.
Solid School System
Department Chair/Instructor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 12, 2017
Not thrilled with the inconsistent raises but Henrico is a solid place to work. Administrators supply adequate support to classroom teachers. I have been happy here during my career.
Hard to advance
Classroom Teacher (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 10, 2017
HCPS is not a terrible school county, but like most school districts in the area it really struggles to support its employees.

HCPS used to help pay for its employees to take classes. Last I checked their compensation amounted to about half of one class.

Also, if you want to transfer to another school, when you're a current teacher you have a window of a few months from when the jobs are posted to when you have to resign your contract. After that you cannot be considered for a position because you are under contract. That means if you have not had an interview basically between February and the end of May, you are stuck in your position for another year, or you have to not continue your contract and risk not having a job in the fall.

Lastly, instead of training new/struggling teachers, most administration focuses on creating more work for struggling teacher, through data collection, accountability pieces, and evaluations. Obviously evaluation is important, but the schools and teachers that need the most help seem to drown in data collection instead of helping actually teach the kids.
Pros
Lots of schools to choose from. Some are excellent
Cons
County is not very helpful with education and job advancement of employees, Some schools are poorly supported
There are always pros and cons
Account Clerk III (Current Employee) –  Henrico County, VAAugust 9, 2017
I enjoyed my position with HCPS, but the pay simply wasn't enough to live off of--unless you don't "have" to work for a living. Being in a school environment is both fun and stressful; while I didn't deal directly with students for most of my work day--I worked with administration and other faculty/staff (teachers, C&M, social workers, etc) and it could be difficult getting everyone to follow the guidelines and regulations pertaining to my job, which dealt primarily with finances. When I had issues, I didn't feel like I had all the support I should have from my higher-ups all the time.
Currently still employed with HCPS; very appreciative of the services provided for the students.
Academic Adviser / Behavior Specialist (Current Employee) –  Henrico County, VAJuly 30, 2017
Good company to work for with a good benefits plan. Working conditions are consistent with advancement opportunities present. The best part of the day or the employment, in general, is seeing the students make progress.
The children were amazing to work with.
Instructional Assistant (Temporary Project) (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 16, 2017
The educational staff and teachers were very patient each child only targeting strengths which gave the children inspiration to achieve their goals. Henrico County got it right.
Pros
One on one instruction with students.
Cons
It was a temporary position.
Increasing communication skills in kids and adults
Long-term substitute Special Education Preschool (Former Employee) –  Henrico County, VAJuly 13, 2017
Looking to increase the functional and social communication skills of children and adults so they can live their most prosperous lives! I want to work where I live so I prefer Henrico County as my place of employment,
Pros
working with kids, working part-time
Cons
having to bill Medicaid for services rendered
Always renewing
Kindergarten Teacher (Current Employee) –  Henrico County, VAJuly 10, 2017
With changes in curriculum and best practices occurring every year. It is often difficult to keep track. HCPS does a great job of keeping teacher informed and up to date,
School district does not care about socio-economical disadvantaged children
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Sandston, VAJuly 7, 2017
Teachers are over worked and underpaid. Administration was inconsistent and inexperienced. Transfers not granted unless you were staff that received special treatment from administrators.
Pros
Pay days
Cons
Unqualified staff-especially administration, inconsistent
keep the school clean make sure it gets sanitize everyday
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 5, 2017
clean windows, strip and wax floors, sweep and mop floors ,vacuum carpets and dust furniture. you get radio calls to feel up toilet paper,paper towels.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Henrico County Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Henrico County Public Schools Reviews by Location