Henry County Schools Employee Reviews

a bus driver
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  AlabamaAugust 7, 2017
pre trip the bus , go get the kids and drop them off at the bus station line at the school.

repeat in the afternoon. Their is not a whole lot more to say about a bus driving job except safety is 1st priority
Pros
great job
Cons
not enough hours of work
fun place to work
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Henry County, GAJuly 26, 2017
If you don't mind changing classrooms everyday and going to different schools then this is a good place for you. It can be a struggle as students want to take over but you learn as you go.
Education is always stressful
School Attendance and Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  McDonough, GAJuly 23, 2017
Salary is low due to school district but the people are usually fun to work with. Coming from the corporate sector it is a big change financially but knowing that you can have a positive impact on children is rewarding.
Cons
Pay
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Henry County, INJune 21, 2017
I loved this job for the complete fact of being able to set the school where I worked and meeting new teachers with whom I could one day collaborate with.
Pros
Being able to choose when and where you worked
Cons
Not having a steady income
Henry County is a good County to work for
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  McDonough, GAJune 16, 2017
I enjoyed working for Henry County Schools but it came time for me to seek a more challenging career choice and for a more substantial amount of income.
Teaching
Social Studies teacher 7 th grade (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VAMay 31, 2017
Loved working with the Henry County Schools, It was a great opportunity to teach the students American history.
My schedule was great, co workers were very supportive.
Pros
everything
Cons
the drive from Roanoke to Henry
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Collinsville, VAApril 20, 2017
Great school system to work for. Great support from teachers and staff. Special education department is great and supportive and their teachers and staff.
Instructional Technology Resource Teacher
Instructional Technology Resource Teacher (Former Employee) –  Collinsville, VAMarch 21, 2017
Training provided on cutting-edge educational technology, which then was turned around and presented to faculty to build their understanding and comfort level using new technology.
Pros
Awareness of cutting-edge technology
Cons
Travel to a minimum of three schools to make presentations.
Comfortable
Title I Parent Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  McDonough, GAMarch 19, 2017
Good district, management very connected to teaching staff. good climate to work in, students are great, parents very supportive, good community support.
Pros
climate
Cons
pay
Do your research first before accepting position with certain schools
Guidance Secretary (Former Employee) –  Collinsville, VAFebruary 25, 2017
Drama, drama, drama and that was from the office coworkers and supervisory staff. The teachers were great. Like I described above, research your intended location; it depends on where you work and who your supervisors are.
Pros
Good insurance, good retirement, summer off every year
Cons
Low pay, short lunches, no breaks
I love working for Henry County
Paraprofessional/Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Stockbridge, GAJanuary 3, 2017
The pay is the lowest in all counties but I have fallen in love with Fairview Elementary and made a bad decision by leaving my position for another with better pay but does not satisfy me.
Pros
Often Vacations
Cons
Have to attend to children with mental illnesses and sometimes get hurt
Teacher (Former Employee) –  McDonough, GADecember 29, 2016
I am very passionate about what I do not take things lightly. I love to make a difference in the lives of my students and I love showing them that they can accomplish anything that they set their mind to do. I get joy from seeing them accomplish what they thought was impossible and then say that was easy. I learned that for most of my students all the need is someone to show that they care and they will work for you no matter what.
Pros
Supportive administration
Cons
collegues did not understand my worth
Henry County Schools, McDonough GA 30253
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  McDonough, GA 30253December 16, 2016
I worked in the Henry County Schools District from 1999-2007. While I was there I worked with some of the most competent educators and administrators in my twenty-five year career.

Daily we were given support from the administrators all the way to the county level from the school level. I learned that dedication to the children is the most valuable position an educator can bring to the table.

Children, when inspired, are capable of achieving the highest levels of success.

Our "top down" management by principals, counselors, superintendents, department leaders and in-house staff was successful year after year because we worked as a team.

My co-workers were willing to put in the extra effort to make our students shine!

The hardest part of the job was the speed at which the school year traveled! One just gets to know and bond with the children....and the year is over and we move on to other new students.

The most enjoyable part was that I never knew exactly what the next day would bring. What I knew was that I woke up nearly every morning "a rarin' to go". I was seldom bored and always challenged to help the students grow to be productive, satisfied adults when they graduated.
Pros
constant help and growth through top quality administrators
Cons
short breaks, a tremendous amount of paperwork [but worth it !]
I'm new to middle school and this is an adjustment but I'm able to perform
AU Paraprofressional (Current Employee) –  McDonough, GADecember 7, 2016
This school is now adjusting to a change in leadership. The climate is a great deal different from the smaller community setting. There are more people and fewer ties personally. However, the work load is bearable and I love the children I work with.
Cons
the compensation and benefits for this entire county is awful.
Welcoming Climate, Team Work Valued, Supportive.
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Locust Grove, GAAugust 17, 2016
I have worked with Henry County Schools for 2 months. My typical day involves working directly with educators, students and parents to ensure student success.

I provide BSF and DBT counseling skills to youth who are struggling with both emotional and physical (self-harm) challenges. I also assist the LCSW with facilitating group sessions to adolescents.

In my 11 years of counseling, I have provided guidance, life skills/coping strategies, small group counseling, home visits, and resources to families. I have learned the importance of being a great listener, patient, staying in the moment, and being honest with students and parents.

The most enjoyable part of my job is helping adolescents overcome barriers that impact their emotional, mental and physical wellbeing.
Pros
Being in a climate that values strong relationships with families.
Cons
Not being able to touch all of those who are in need (Time and Resources).
A learning atmosphere and friendly, helpful staff
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee) –  McDonough, GAJuly 13, 2016
I find it very rewarding when your able to help a child understand their assignment. The schools in this county have the same rules. The only downside of the job is difficult students, but the staff are very helpful with these situations.
Pros
Flexibility to work
Cons
Short breaks
This job helped me to work with special need children
Bus Monitor (Former Employee) –  McDonough, GAApril 5, 2016
This was a job that helped me to learn how to care for children that had special needs that rode the bus. I had a very good coworker, I felt good knowing that the children felt safe when riding the bus to school. I had a good team player.
Great place to work, but the money is scarce.
Janitor/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  McDonough, GAApril 1, 2016
I love working with the teachers and students. It's a rewarding job, except for the money. The hours are good and the people are good to me.

Working for a school system is much harder than one may think!
Exciting, Comfortable Environment.
School Nutrition Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hampton, GAJanuary 18, 2016
A typical day at work is always exciting knowing you are working towards one common goal alongside your co-workers which is to get the job done. My co-workers are fun to be around and we all work together as a unit to get the job done. I enjoy every second of every day of my job.
Pros
Great atmosphere.
Cons
Compensation, Healthcare
Enjoyable Job
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  McDonough, GASeptember 11, 2015
A typical day in education is assisting the teacher and students. In the field I currently work in, well, its overwhelming at times due to the fact we work with children with behavioral/emotional issues. I learned many years ago to leave work at work, otherwise, I would worry myself silly over these children!