Henry Street Settlement Employee Reviews

Coworker are the best people to work with!
Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 4, 2016
A typical day would be interacting/assisting/accommodating staff and clients with program information and any changes that may occur within the agency. Most staff member are great to work with and often work together as a team.Upper management lacks communication with their employees. The hardest part of my job is communicating with my supervisor. Unfortunately I believe we need a more experienced leader to handle our department. I feel we take on most of the responsibilities and are left to problem solve most of the time amongst each other. The most enjoyable part of the work that we do in a whole, is being able to help someone. Every employees position has an impact in this, whether it be big or small. It's all cause and effect.
Pros
Wonderful Co-Workers to work with, along with helping clients prosper.
Cons
Poor Salary, Mostly no room for advancement.
Overall Very Good Experience
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 3, 2016
This was a very good experience doing this for the summer youth employment program (SYEP). My Co- Workers were very good to work with this summer. The Most enjoyable part of the job was just interacting with my co-workers. As, I think I didn't really have a hard time because I'm this very mu-chore person that does what he had to do.
Pros
Free Lunches, Good Benefits
Cons
N/A
Fun and safe business place
SYEP (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYNovember 22, 2016
It's A great place to work. The management was very strict and kept the place in tact. My co-workers enjoyed working there. The hardest part of the job was to keep the kids in order but at the end of the day they cooperated and the most enjoyable part of the job was having fun with the kids
A fun workplace with much enthusiasm
Assist group (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 16, 2017
-tend to children (assist with Homework assignments)
create activities for children during after school program
-I learned to deal with children (they can smell fear)
-My managers cared for the children a great deal and that positivitey rubbed off on myself and my coworkers
-my coworkers showed positivitey towards the children in the after school program
-nothing was hard in my opinion
Fun workplace
Summer Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJanuary 2, 2017
i enjoyed working there, i was taking care of kids, teaching them new things everyday, making them learn their ABCs and 123s
i like the manager because she made our job easy and fun. it was great communication skills and the activites she had for the kids was great.
Pros
free lunch and the working process
Cons
Short Breaks
complicated
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 1, 2017
Make sure to speak up and have thick skin. Always stay on top of your work. Remember to not get comfortable. Careful to not make friends. Always keep your emails.
Productive Fun Workplace
Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 24, 2016
The job presented the opportunity for me to come up with my own lesson plans and activities to make the topics fun and engaging for the participants. It was fun and also learning experience dealing with young teens and getting their views on topics going on in the world.
Pros
Work Schedule and Pay
Cons
Ratio of participants to facilitator
good place
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 24, 2017
every one is respectful, good people, fun place to work in. just would like more hours. too much change in bosses. a little unorganized.
Pros
good pay
Cons
little hours
Positive environment where learning is for everyone
Group Aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 2, 2016
The workload is manageable and not too stressful. I gained a ton of perspective in terms of the education system and just how different individuals learn in so many different ways. Dealing with so many personalities is the biggest task since I worked primarily with children. The hardest thing to cope with is watching your kids grow up and become people. That is not something I'm familiar with so seeing it happen before my eyes was an amazing experience.
Productive and goal focused environment
Project peer advisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 9, 2016
Henry Street Settlement is a large organization. It provides various services to the Lower West Side Manhattan community. My job at first was to be a peer adviser , which is youth helping youth with mental health an reproductive information and supplies. We did a lot of out reach programs. Also provided counseling for youth in need for housing or shelter. After a year of performing this task I was also tutoring math to the High School students with them

My boss was very welcoming and understanding.
Pros
Part time
Cons
Part time
Productive work place
Program Assistants Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 4, 2017
always very busy, its a afterschool, always a kid to cheer you up. a lot of meetings go on, always activities happening throughout the day with the kids.
Productive , safe and fun environment for the children
SYEP (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYOctober 18, 2016
It was the best working experience I've ever had as my first job everyone was nice the place was always clean and it's just a fun place to work. It was a good first working experience it helped me a lot with my working skills
Productive and fun place with children
daycare/camp (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 28, 2016
The job was a very good experience, it taught me how to have patients with children. Working in the camp also taught me how to work with others and helping others. The job gave me the ability to learn how to work with others. My typical day at work was teaching the kids about certain subjects. helping them learn more and communicating with each other.
Pros
working with children
Cons
teaching others
Fun work place to be a kid with the kids you monitor
Junior Counselor (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYSeptember 9, 2016
This job was kind of far from me, but it was a comfortable environment, and i enjoyed every one of my shifts with the kids. The kids there were full of energy all day long and they made me feel special whenever i came back from an absence.
Pros
5 hour shift
Cons
No lunch break
Community based organization in the Lower East Side for over a 100 years.
Crisis Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 19, 2013
A typical day at work as a crisis counselor was to make sure there was enough tissues with you because you will hear stories of what people did to survive Hurricane Sandy some sad, some happy. What I learned being a crisis counselor is people will do anything in time of need. Management could be okay. Co-workers were okay, very supportive. The hardest part of the job was really none. The most enjoyable part of the job was to make sure when we began the program and to have enough places to go and not the same place all the time.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
The program only last for a year
Overall a great place to work. Lot of benifits for staff and residents.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 29, 2012
I worked for Henry Street Settlement for a couple years, a typical day at work for me; comming in at 9:30am setting up in the kitchen with coffee, etc. I would ans phones, do filing, update data base, order supplies and what ever the Director needed me to do for that day. There were only 6 co-workers in this department we all got along well. The most enjoyable part of my work day was interacting with the clients, helping them with their paper work, The hardest part of this position was going back and fourth to the many locations of HSS, my work day was over at 5:30pm, M-F. I enjoyed the position and would work with Henry Street Settlement again.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
low pay.
Great place
Childcare Provider (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 17, 2016
It was a great experience and I loved it I would do it all over again the kids were amazing and it provided me with great experience working with kids
Pros
Great breaks
Loved It
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 5, 2016
One of the best internships I've ever had. I had a great time here and learned so much. I hope to one day be able to go back. The people I met and the skills I acquired will stay with me forever.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Teaches you the importance's of team work
Intern Student (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 30, 2016
I honestly believe that this organization helps you build your character. The employees there help when asked or once they see that you need assistance. I do believe that if you want to increase your time management, creativity and interpersonal skills working in Henry Street Settlement is the best opinion.
Pros
Helpful employees
Cons
Pay rate
Wonderful place to work
Plant Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 28, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of prioritizing daily maintenance, daily cleaning and emergencies.
Learning was phenomenal. Communicating with the homeless mothers of NYC to learn and try to understand their daily struggles while balancing a home. I also learned a great deal about multitasking and patience as their are so many mothers with maintenance issues.
Management was the finest that I have ever encountered at any position that I acquired.
Coworkers were very resourceful and helpful. They were a family there.
The hardest part of the job was leaving.
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping everyone.
Pros
Free trips

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Henry Street Settlement. Our community is ready to answer.

Henry Street Settlement Reviews by Location