Henry Street Settlement Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and fun work environment
Tax Intake (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2016
excellent customer service, very attentive. Have a very large amount of clients, clients always satisfied to come back each year.
Not so much fun
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 8, 2016
I did not not learn much from this place the social worker was unethical financially and with the clients records. Horrible experience, its too bad that no one is watching her.
Productive and fun workplace with children.
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYFebruary 22, 2016
My job was to be sure all the youth was participating and behaving themselves in all classes. During Lunch my job was to ensure that all youth had lunch whether it was packed or free lunch. I also had to participate with the youth during all classes, field trips, etc. My job was to keep count with the youth and make sure my whole group was there. Especially when a co-worker was on their lunch break, I was to participate and watch my youth group. The co-workers were very friendly and helpful. I didn't have no problems with any of them. When children get picked up we make sure its the right person picking them up and signing a sheet saying they picked up the child up at what ever time. They have till 6 to pick up a child or we took matters into our hands. It was a great experience working with a group of children knowing they are happy and comfortable around you.
Pros
Free Lunches, friendly youth, friendly co-workers.
Cons
short breaks.
Wonderful place to work
Plant Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 28, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of prioritizing daily maintenance, daily cleaning and emergencies.
Learning was phenomenal. Communicating with the homeless mothers of NYC to learn and try to understand their daily struggles while balancing a home. I also learned a great deal about multitasking and patience as their are so many mothers with maintenance issues.
Management was the finest that I have ever encountered at any position that I acquired.
Coworkers were very resourceful and helpful. They were a family there.
The hardest part of the job was leaving.
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping everyone.
Pros
Free trips
Productive and fun work place
Front Desk/Security (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 13, 2016
I work for a non profit organization that opens doors and opportunity to enrich lives and enhance human progress for New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs
productive and fun day with the kiddies
Group Aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 14, 2015
My job was awsome i enjoyed the kids and helping them learn,they kept my day going so much personality in one room,i honestly didnt find anything hard about my job.
Pros
my boss was really cool
Cons
lunchbreak was short
Awesome place to work
Data Entry Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 26, 2015
Great place to work and grow. Only for the fact that it helps others it makes it a lot more rewarding. It has been a great experience getting to know new people and learn as much as I have so far.
Created a rigid corporate environment in what used to be exciting place to be
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 4, 2015
Organization is well connected with a solid mission. Outstanding, talented, and diverse colleagues committed to helping people. There is good work being done if you look past all the things you don't agree with.
Pros
passionate colleagues and helping participants
Cons
lack of clear direction and communication, favoritism, Unequal pay, no support, high turnover, constant program changes without proper planning, unethical practices
Productive work environment
Peer Educator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 20, 2015
This was my first job out of high school. It wasn't a great paying job but the experience I gained was awesome. I had great trainers who were fun as well as responsible. It was only seasonal but a great way to get into the workforce.
Pros
Great experience with great people.
Cons
Seasonal, stypend pay.
Fun and interesting experience
After School Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJune 29, 2015
I love working with kids, and children here were great but they had their moments of when they misbehaved but all children do. The manager in charge of the after school program was strict but she was great, very motherly and understanding. The most enjoyable thing about this job was learning new things from the children and the outdoor activities.
Pros
Teaching children, learning new things from the children

Want to know more about Henry Street Settlement?

Ask a question
Productive and fun place to work in
Lifeguard/Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 1, 2015
A typical day was very tiring but it wasn't a boring job, I always had fun. I learned that patience is a virtue and that you will face situations where you just want to scream but you just breathe and everything will be fine. The staff was always as friendly as they could be. The hardest part of the job and the most enjoyable part of the job was working with kids. Kids are so innocent and they made the job much more enjoyable for me.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Short breaks
Great Experience
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 22, 2014
Help ensure the safety and engagement of a group of 15 or more students
• Plan program activities which include snacks and homework assistance
• Serving as a positive role model
Awesome learning experience
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 9, 2014
A typical day at work was managing documents, sending them to HR. Calculating intern hours and staying on contact with their supervisors.
Management was a little shaky at first but it ended well. I had a great team and the staff was amazing, always willing to help.
great help in becomming the milestone of success
Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 28, 2014
great help In having a mile stone to your success . readiness on career opportunities.
productive and fun workplace
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 28, 2014
A typical day was very tiring but it wasn't a boring job, I always had fun. I learned that patience is a virtue and that you will face situations where you just want to scream but you just breathe and everything will be fine. The staff was always as friendly as they could be. The hardest part of the job and the most enjoyable part of the job was working with kids. Kids are so innocent and they made the job much more enjoyable for me, but they always would have tantrums and that made the job harder than it needed to be.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Detail-oriented Worker with Administrative Experience
Office Assistant / Receptionist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 26, 2014
I begin my shift by assisting clients with mail, laundry and laundry appointment's. Assist Case Managers and On Call Worker with resident's, complete DHS intake.
Held meeting
Driver (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 9, 2014
My day started out by getting the company truck out the parking lot.
Then I would head to the job site to obtain my route sheet for the day.
After that im on my way to the caters to pick up meals for the senior citizens .
Pros
delivering to senior citizens.
Cons
benifits were not good
Far too Large to be truly effective
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 30, 2014
Not advised for millennials seeking innovative and creative approach to human services. very encumbered by government mandates and beholden to grant provider whims. it's very difficult to advance as policies don't allow advancement for at least one year. pay is moderate but not exceptional compared to the work/life balance that is lacking.
Pros
reputable company with great reputation in the city.
Cons
archaic structure
Great experience
Crisis Counselor (Former Employee) –  301 henry street settlementSeptember 15, 2014
As a crisis counselor I learn so much. Was able to participate in professional trianings. I learned how to dandle all kind of people from kids to elderly. One bad thing it was a temporary position.
Pleasant on the surface
Employment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  99 EssexSeptember 13, 2014
Cut throat in reality, middle management runs the show and senior management is usually out to lunch. Line personnel work well with each other and try to achieve for all the participants. As far as quality of life balance, expect to work late and not be recognized for it, except for maybe the clientele which will be very appreciative- but never internally. Honestly, I had high expectations and was very disappointed in the overall experience
Pros
the community loves and needs you
Cons
the management is out of touch