Heritage Valley Health System Employee Reviews

It's like family
Clinical Supervisor- ED / ICU / OH (Current Employee) –  Beaver, PAJune 17, 2016
Great place to work. Compassionate and caring people who go above and beyond to make the sick well. It's like working with family.
Nice coworkers but management doesn't care
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Beaver, PAJune 3, 2016
Lack of communication from upper management. Work with great co-workers and staff. Lots of turnover within the company.
nice environment but no room for advancement
Medical Transcriptionist/Editor (Current Employee) –  Beaver, PAFebruary 19, 2016
The work has been cut due to editing software, I have been cross trained for many different functions so it can still be busy at times.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
quiet environment
very nice plac e to work
Completed internship (Former Employee) –  Sewickley, PAJanuary 20, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working as an Intern at the Medical Center. This was a very well rounded facility to work at.
Great Learning Experience
Registered Nurse Med/Surg (Former Employee) –  Beaver, PANovember 25, 2015
Working for Hertiage Valley Beaver was a great and challenging work enviorment. I learned all the necessary skills needed to become a well rounded nurse. I learned of different diagnoses and how to effectively treat the patient. The best part of the job was knowing that I and the rest of my team succeeded with our treatment goals!
Pros
Variety of patients
Cons
busy and hectic at times
Respected and busy Acute Care Hospital
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Sewickley, PANovember 17, 2015
The day starts with a fast-paced work environment. With 4-5 patients on daylight, after report and labs/tests checked, you begin with the most acute patient and start your patient Identification, assessment, (appropriate actions taken for adverse assessment findings) wound dressings, medications, implementation of Dr. orders, testing needed, therapy schedule, patient well informed/education, comfort level and other needs. Repeat for all patients, then start positional transferring of patients to diverse areas of hospital per orders. I do a once through again on patients, I see if any of my co-workers need my assistance, then I start my computer charting. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing my patients get discharged home. Such an exciting day for them! The hardest part is the acutely ill patients, and the sadness felt for them and their family. I can honestly say some of my co-workers and I have formed an everlasting bond and have remained friends although I no longer work for SVH. I learned so much from my co-workers and will always be grateful for their years of support.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
working weekends
Employee satisfaction
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Beaver, PASeptember 13, 2015
As with any Facility there are many pros and cons. I for the most part am satisfied with my job. My nurse manager is wonderful. She is always willing to listen to any concerns or suggestions made by the staff. i do like my position at Heritage Valley.
Pros
Self scheduling, free parking, good benefits
Cons
Very busy unit, no support staff, breaks are sometimes hard to get.
A Unique Company Culture
Senior Allscripts Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hopewell, PAJanuary 28, 2015
It was not a great fit for me, a difficult environment to fit in to if you aren't from Beaver County
Very small company
The team has changed dramatically since I have left
Pros
was able to work from home when needed
Cons
offices were old
A nice place to work. The staff in the E.R. are very nice and like a family.
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Sewickley, PANovember 19, 2014
I work with the public daily and I like to help whomever I can within the realm of my job. My co-workers are the most enjoyable part of my day. We are all like a family and are willing to help each other in any situation. I have learned a wealth of information in the medical field, just by working with the staff and having the hands on privilege of working in the E.R.
Rewarding working environment
Clinical Documentation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Beaver PA 15009October 21, 2014
I have been employed by HVHS for 18 years, and have made lasting friendships, learned and mentored countless colleagues. I have gained a wealth of wisdom while at HVHS
The lab is very busy and has heavy demanding workload
Lab Processing Technician/ Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Beaver, PAOctober 7, 2014
Busy is a normal work day, which is good to make your day go fast. I learned a lot about hospital protocols, turn around times, and patient care. Management... haha, enough said there. The hardest part of the job was balancing your personal life with it. The work hours are impossible if you have a family or children ex: 4am one shift. 12-9pm another. I've asked many times to learn more in the area such as office or registration, but was denied many times because I was particularly skilled at my own area, thus leaving me no room to better myself as an employee or person. Of course, the most enjoyable part of my job was the patients. You meet all kinds of people working in a hospital.
Pros
competitive pay, pto, vacation time, benifits, patients
Cons
careless management, horrible scheduling, horrible shifts
Know your place in the pecking order
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Beaver, PASeptember 30, 2014
Heritage Valley found their management strategy in the industrial revolution. Bullies are unchallenged by management, and anyone who dares to stand up to them is disciplined harshly (ironically under the guise of the "Zero Tolerance Bullying" policy). If you accept a position with Heritage Valley, prepare yourself for abusive coworkers and zero support from HR or management.
Pros
great pto system, decent enough pay for the location.
Cons
upmc healthcare plan is a nightmare. no support from hr.
Rn
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Emergency DepartmentSeptember 25, 2014
I have worked for Heritage Valley for 16 years. I have gained invaluable experience as a RN. My co-workers are my family and we work incredibly well together. The management is very approachable and reliable. The hardest part of the job is the physical and mental exhaustion. The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of caring for sick patients and providing patient education. It is a new experience every shift.
Loved taking care of the patients
Clinical Technician (Former Employee) –  Beaver, PASeptember 5, 2014
Day to day drawling blood, EKGs, and vitals. I enyed work with my coworks and it was a busy but nice environment to work in
Leadership
Administrative Nursing Director (Former Employee) –  Beaver, PAAugust 28, 2014
Fantastic leadership in the nursing areas with supportive executive team.
Productive and educational workplace
PATIENT CARE TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Beaver, PaJuly 17, 2014
A typical day is very fast paced and a lot of running around. I work with amazing co workers who are always there to help when you need it. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I know I have made an impact on someones life by the care I have given them and knowing that they have made an impact on mine.
Ok.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Hopewell, PAApril 23, 2014
Interned for a few months. good place to pick up new skills in IT. Very easy-going environment, friendly to new folk.
productive place to work, challenging on a daily basis
Environmental Services Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Sewickley Hospital and Beaver Hospital lacaionsMarch 17, 2014
A typical day started with call offs which altered the daily work schedule causing me to immediately rearrange the schedule to cover the daily cleaning duties using the employees on hand including stepping in myself to help. I have enhanced my organizing and customer service skills, co-workers were hard working and efficient with their time, hardest part of job was dealing with call offs on a daily basis, made it challenging but not impossible to maintain high degree of cleanliness and keeping up with project work, maintaining a clean hospital and performing customer service with all our customers who are our patients, their families, outpatient areas, nursing, management and other fellow employees
Pros
free parking, good medical benefits, supplies always available
Cons
cafeteria food
No breaks! Poor management
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Beaver Valley CampusNovember 14, 2013
I have worked administration,staff and agency as an ER nurse for over 25 years. They expect you to know the computer charting in 4 hours class orientation when the computers weren't working correctly and one day working with a nurse in a very busy ER. They gave me someone to orient with that all she had time to do was take care of the patients and no time to show me about the charting. Nurses all say they never get a break and because I wanted a 10 minute break after 11 hours they thought I wasn't a good fit for their hospital! I have worked very busy big city hospitals before and never have been treated like that in all my years of nursing! The director of the ER refused to even talk about it. The nurses in the unit told me about the nurse that was orienting me had a major attitude and she was rude as soon as she met me. She has no business orienting anyone the way she treats people. This ER had ads for jobs all the time...now you know why! It's a shame because it is a beautiful facility. Glad I found a full time job I love in a place that respects their nurses!
Pros
beautiful facility
Cons
no breaks, poor management
A great learning experience
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aliquippa, PASeptember 17, 2013
Assist the doctors,draw blood,give allergy shots/immunizations. I learned so much the doctors had no problems with you watching them or even assisting. Management was great they had an open door policy. The hardest part was trying keep up. The most enjoyable part was the patients and the office staff.

4.4