Herman Miller, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Productive, fun, and great place to work for individual growth
Digital Marketing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Holland, MIOctober 19, 2015
My job consisted of maintaining the companies 18 global/foreign websites on a daily basis. This position helped challenge the way I was use to doing things at my previous positions, and has helped me grow and develop immensely.

Overall, the culture of the company and team atmosphere was one of my favorite parts. Great people, and a very comfortable work environment. The combination made coming to work exciting.
Pros
Flexible schedule if needed, great coworkers and management was down to earth.
Cons
Hard time getting hired in from contract position to permanent position.
very enjpyable workplace and people
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Spring Lake, MIJanuary 6, 2016
Very physical work but I like it. The people are friendly and my supervisor seems to really like my job performance. I learned a lot about manufacturing. Working in retail most of my life, I was very nervous but I adapted quite well. A typical day at work I start right away on the wing bender alternating between that and the component welder. I also have to use the drawer welder which I have to put spreaders on a part after bending it and put it in the welder. The management seems well informed about what it takes to produce the the best merchandise. The most enjoyable part of my job is the wonderful people I work with. The hardest part of my job is the physicality.
Pros
the people, it's fun
Cons
short breaks
Herman Miller
Shipping Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Zeeland, MINovember 7, 2015
A typical day at Herman Miller consists of working on the shipping dock. Waiting for the production line to finish assembling each product. When the product is finished being produced. I personally make sure the product is correctly packaged and put in the right location to be shipped out. This consists of placing each product on a skid or on a semi trailer. Co-Workers her are awesome everyone is really happy and loves there job. Down side to Herman Miller is that management does not like to listen to employee suggestions. On how to make procedures of shipping faster and more efficient.
Pros
Cafe on location as long with a gym
Cons
Ability to advance is limited
good place
Shipping Associate (Former Employee) –  Zeeland, MIFebruary 3, 2016
work is fun, can get super repetitive, hi lo drivers are jerks and drive like they are in the Daytona 500, cool management for the most part, some employees are creepers and will follow you around and constantly watch you, makes work very uncomfortable.
Pros
everything
Cons
creepers
Low pay, repetitive job
Frame Builder (Current Employee) –  Hildebran, NCMarch 16, 2016
Worked here for 3 years so far. There is NO opportunity to advance in the company. Have ask to be placed in other jobs that have become available, but they hire outside help instead. I worked through a temp agency for 11 plus months before being hired on. One of the most stressful jobs I have ever had.
Pros
Steady work
Cons
No opportunity to advance in company, repetitive, stressful work
ping pong tables / foosball tables
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Zeeland, MIDecember 18, 2015
nice place to work, steady work throughout the day. the work environment was usually clean. management was very open if you had any suggestions.
no room for advancement
Manufacturing Associate (Former Employee) –  Zeeland, MIFebruary 10, 2016
Employees that have been at Herman Miller with many years of service were not given chances to advance in learning new jobs, I was told that they wanted new and younger people for the jobs, then they could train them on how they want to work.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
superviser was not willing to give older employees chances to learn new jobs
R&d
Manufact Assoc, Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Zeeland, MIMarch 8, 2016
There are many hidden agendas with little to no communication of expectations between groups. Many people under qualified for positions. Co-workers work as individuals not as a team when confronted with obstacles. Yearly bonus's re-calculated, new formula developed after every year there is a payout. Different rule sets apply to individuals as they operate outside of established guidelines.
Employee focused, Design focused, and friendly
AV Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Zealand, MIJune 30, 2015
On most days I monitored all of the technology in the meeting areas throughout west Michigan and our showrooms around the country. Service issues were prioritized and resolved in a timely manner. I acted as a internal consultant to the Research and Design Team on new technologies, and how to best fit the technology into HMI products. Design, Engineering, and team lead for all updates across the company for the Showrooms, meeting spaces, and colaboration technology in shared spaces. The team we created was friendly, on task, and quick adopters to new technology. The hardest part of the job was traveling of town and leaving the family at home. The people and the environment was certainly the most enjoyable.
Pros
Close to home and the people
Cons
Some out of town projects required very long hours
Opportunities to participate abound
Product Specialist (Former Employee) –  Zeeland, MIFebruary 8, 2016
Herman Miller provides multitudes of opportunities to participate in events outside the workplace to allow you to be your full self. They include inclusiveness teams, habitat for humanity, walks/rides/runs for charity, Make a Wish, pretty much you name it. So, besides a great job, you have the opportunity to make a difference in your community.
Greatest job ever
Assembly/Operator (Former Employee) –  Spring Lake, MIMay 19, 2015
THIS JOB ROCKED.

I loved everything about this place, it's clean, my co-workers were always helpful and a delight to work with. Management was nice and always giving chances for advancement. I can go on about this place but it's was truly an experience to work for Herman Miller Inc.
Job locations is great
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIFebruary 21, 2016
Assisted companies in provided ergonomically correct office furnishings. Opportunity to be your own boss and work along side personnel of your choice on specific jobs that required a designer and installation crew.
Pros
working hours flexibility
Cons
employee turnover
Productive and fun place to work
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Zeeland, MIJanuary 19, 2016
I spend most of the time helping business partners with IT support, for thousands of problems. I spend a lot of time learning new softwares and how to fix the problems. I also spend little time in training and research project for the company.
coworker
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Zeeland, MIMarch 29, 2016
Coworkers are friendly and helpful to a new employee. Willing to go the extra mile in training of new employees. Supervisor are friendly and willing to help train new employees
Pros
paid breaks
Large stable company
Engineer (Former Employee) –  West MichiganMay 29, 2015
Not the company they once were. Over the years benefits that once made the company great have continually erroded. Now they are no longer much different than any other decent company in the area. There is still a lot of potential but lean thinking has replaced thinking about the employees that make up the company. I hope they can turn this around.
Pros
The peole really are great to work with.
Cons
Below average pay and marginal wage increases.
Overall
Direct-Ship Production Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Ball Ground, Georgia and Virtual postionAugust 4, 2015
When Herman Miller, Inc. closed Georgia Operations in and around 2001, I lost the best job I've ever had. 23 years of service to a company that was a blessing to Georgia and to my life. I miss working there so much.
Pros
Salary, benefits were like none other
Cons
Relocation back to Grand Rapids devastated me and many others here in Georgia
Productive and Fun Work Place
Electrical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Holland, MIOctober 13, 2015
Herman Miller Inc is a fun place to work with. In the research and development area, We got to work on a lot of fun projects whether or not they were incorporated into the core of the business or not. This gave me a lot of room to try anything that seems plausible while still working on the projects required.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
paid lunches
Herman Miller workplace
Manufacturing associate (Current Employee) –  Zeeland MiSeptember 10, 2015
A typical day at work is usually coming in for over time checking the board to find out where your spot for the first two hours are and then doing that job until break which you will switch at that time.
Most co-workers are extremely friendly but sometimes there are a few who have a bad attitude but are hard workers.
Pros
pot lucks, free sports drink, friendly faces
Cons
short breaks, can be very hot in the summer and cold in the winder
Good brand, weak leadership, poor compensation
SMALL AND MEDIUM BUSINESS SALES REP (Former Employee) –  Washington DC/BaltimoreOctober 17, 2014
Though full of excitement upon appointment, I quickly saw the dead end coming. Despite growing territory sales 100% first year, dealer principal clearly stated disinterest in corporate program. local leadership was ineffective, while corporate leadership ignored information crucial to local territory success. multiple applications for transfer went unnoticed. eventually told to model productivity after another sales rep that had less sales, less growth over previous year, less progress towards goal, and averaged fewer customer touches per week.

Basically, the mission statement and values are cloudy at best. Management is weak (with employee confidence even weaker). Compensation may be decent for higher level sales/management, but extremely low for entry level positions.
Pros
scheduling freedom, strong brand recognition
Cons
poor compensation model, no growth, disjointed management, overpriced product
The greatest work place so far.
Expeditor/Production Planner (Former Employee) –  Canton, GAAugust 1, 2015
I truly missed working at Herman Miller, and the only reason I have to leave the company, and many others with me, is that Herman Miller, closed their Operation Facility in Canton Georgia and moved it to Zealand Michigan. I started as a manufacturing associate, and ended in the Scheduling Department as Scheduler and Production Planner, It was really great place to work with all areas of the company.
Pros
Good place to be and work with people.
Cons
Sometimes unexpected overtime work.

4.3