Herman Miller, Inc. Employee Reviews

Dangerous place to work
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Spring Lake, MIJanuary 12, 2018
Its was a alright job to work I didn't like they can move u anytime to a different departments and have u start all over on your training and time schedule the pay was good the environment too but the time schedule and the moving around any moment was a problem for me
Great Company
Client Engagement Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 3, 2018
Great company! Poor managers. Not innovative but says it is. Rests upon legacy of innovation which is no longer there. Much less "corporate" than other companies. Highly recommended but far from perfect. Wish only the best for Herman Miller.
Didn't like it
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Spring Lake, MIDecember 29, 2017
Herman Miller is more about making money than value there employees. They treat people poorly. Supervisors cuss out employees. One example of how bad they are. My wife passed away and I didn't get any barevment time. They denied all my fmla for taking care of her while she died. Instead they took all my vacation and sick time and if I was one minute late in the next year and a half I would be fired. When I went to HR to talk about it there exact words where "oh well" they treated me like I lied about my wife passing
Pros
Cons
They treat employees very poorly
Great Team atmosphere
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Zeeland, MIDecember 4, 2017
Team members are great and Herman Miller is always trying to give back to the community. Volunteering efforts are always encouraged and paid community service days are offered.
Cool work place for my first job
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Grand Haven, MINovember 24, 2017
It's was a real eye opener for me as I said it being my first job. I really grew before there eyes on 3rd shift at Hickory and 171st and created some real strong bonds.
Pros
Friendly work place
Cons
Short breaks
Two Cultures
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Zeeland, MIOctober 29, 2017
The culture at Herman Miller is quite different for hourly and salary.

Hourly paid are expected to work as if you are a volunteer slave. That is, you work very hard doing three or more people's job during the course of your workday. No time for a breath except during your scheduled breaks. The reason you do many different jobs is that you must keep busy no matter what. Herman Miller really gets their monies worth with production employees, low pay and hard labor.

Salary jobs are mostly stress-free if you are competent. The balance between work and home life is available if and when you need it. You are able to check your social media and make personal phone calls whenever you want just so long as you get your work done, which is far from a full plate.

Hourly jobs have been reduced to standardized work, meaning everyone does the same thing the same way. No longer does a production employee require an IQ over room-temperature. Salary jobs are better paid and more rewarding, more flexible for life's problems and come with advancement opportunities, unlike an hourly job where it is assumed that everyone doing those jobs are unable to think for themselves.
Pros
Paid breaks.
Cons
No air conditioning in production areas. Knee replacements are a given if you work in production.
Changes not always positive
Sales Administration Analyst (Former Employee) –  Zeeland, MIOctober 25, 2017
Corporate culture being lost due to retirement of many long-term employees. The company's uniqueness (originally family-owned business, participative management style, classic products, "family" atmosphere) replaced by emphasis on being a cookie cutter of other companies.
i no longer work there
Master Repair Technician and Safety Representative (Former Employee) –  Spring Lake, MIOctober 25, 2017
my job was eliminated in march with no comparable jobs available.i left the company to work at Bold as a touch-up artist but now they are slow and i am lay-ed off
Excellent place to work
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Zeeland, MIOctober 24, 2017
Herman Miller is a excellent place to work they work at a fast pace but management is awesome great benefits.Herman Miller is the best job i every had since coming too west michigan after being in the service. the pay was excellent and i spent 18 good years there.
Unprofessional, Uncomfortable, not Employee friendly
Material Hanger (Current Employee) –  Spring Lake, MIOctober 16, 2017
Loved hickory location, when I started at 171st the atmosphere completely changed very uncomfortable, started having problems with my back and I was told If I don’t get off work restrictions my doctor ordered I would be fired. People weren’t friendly,
Pros
Paid time off, pay
Cons
Management was very unprofessional
Love making furniture
Manufacturing Associate (Former Employee) –  Spring Lake, MIOctober 9, 2017
Love the co-workers! This job was fast pace and it can take a toll on your wrist. However the thought of actually making furniture and being a part of a major company was rewarding.
No Life Outside of Work
Manufacturing Associate (Former Employee) –  Zeeland, MIOctober 9, 2017
Push employees on manufacturing floor to the point of mental break down. All overtime is mandatory with 24hrs notice. Management doesn't care about employees.
Fun place to work
Factory Worker (Former Employee) –  Spring Lake, MIOctober 6, 2017
Herman Miller is a fun and laid back place to work at. The work there is repetitive but not hard at all. Very easy stuff. The bosses there are nice and will help you with anything you need
Pros
Nice environment
Cons
Short breaks, a lot of overtime
Top 100 fortune 500 Co's to work for.
Account Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 4, 2017
Very well respected organization with a rich design heritage, legacy and innovative look towards the future. Located in most major markets all over the world !
Pros
Awesome products
Cons
ever shifting market conditions
Co-workers were very helpful and pleasant
Press Operator (Former Employee) –  Zeeland, MISeptember 26, 2017
I floated between Cores and Glaze depending demand. Both running presses and building glaze frames were both physical. Presses being the primary. We would build and press 800 panels daily. Team mates were very experienced and pleasant.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Upper management needs to stay consistent with communications.
Was with Herman Miller 17 + years until Georgia facilities closed and moved to Michigan
Roswell and Canton, Georgia, Executive (Former Employee) –  Canton, GASeptember 14, 2017
I loved working at Herman Miller, Inc. There was much pride in the job and in the company. Work duties varied every day and were always interesting and challenging. Management was well trained and always helpful to employees. There was not a hardest part of the job. Duties varied and the opportunity for growth was great. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new things all the time, developing new skills, and the overall Herman Miller, In. culture.
Great Place to work
Team Area Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Holland, MISeptember 10, 2017
I was employed by Herman Miller very soon after I moved back home from the Military. Most everything I have today I owe mostly to Herman Miller and investments thru them. I have made some great friends here and awesome coworkers as well.
Fast paced, friendly, motivates people to apply for better jobs within the company
Flex Team Member/ Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Holland, MIAugust 29, 2017
Loved my job at Herman Miller, I would still be there if I wasn't having health issues that I needed to deal with. Great company, great leaders, great teamwork. Everyone always striving to be better and do better for the customer.
Pros
Great benefits, good pay
Cons
Greenhouse over works their staff
Would still be working for Herman Miller had they not relocted
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Canton, GAAugust 27, 2017
Would still be working for Herman Miller had they not relocated to Michigan. Great learning experience. Work programs and bonuses for employees input for products, updates on production, and good team leadership.
WorkPlace Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Zeeland, MIAugust 17, 2017
Enjoyed my time at Herman Miller. Worked with great people. Ability to learn and grow your career. Good opportunities available when I worked there. Able to work from home two days a week.
Pros
People
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Herman Miller, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.