Herman Miller, Inc. Employee Reviews

Herman Miller is a great company
Manufacturing Associate (Former Employee) –  Spring Lake, MIMarch 20, 2017
If you have the opportunity to work for them do it. The job is like any factory and it's repetitive. The company is fantastic! I worked there for 3 years and made decent money for this kind of work. Regular raises and bonuses. The company and management care about their employees, the environment and their products. Your safety is at the top and they strive to be one of the safest places to work. The benefits are at the top of their field. I would have never left this job but I moved. I haven't found another company as good as this one.
Pros
Safety, pay, work environment, management, cafe for 1st shift, great benefits
Cons
Non smoking grounds may be a con for some
Hot, loud and rough factory
PANEL EXPRESS OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Zeeland, MIJanuary 7, 2017
A typical day mostly included cutting of wood panels and constant measuring and re-measuring. I learned how to interact with people who might happen to be considered a bit rough. I was also a younger kid at 18 during this time. Management seemed capable as well as knowledgeable. The nights would be incredibly hot during the summer considering the machines we used supplied a good amount of heat.
Pros
radios played during work hours
Cons
hot work place, lack of supervision
Herman Miller work experience
Territory Manager / Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 8, 2017
I enjoyed my time with Herman Miller and learned a great deal. Herman Miller is an innovative company and a design leader. Work/life balance started to suffer as management changes occurred. Still, was a good experience for most of 14 years.
Pros
Great learning environment
Cons
Work/life balance started to get out of skew
I love this company.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Roswell, GANovember 29, 2016
We all love this company. You got opportunities to learn different things in other areas to build your skill level. Management were so professional and they cared about how employees felt. The hardest part of the job was when I had to leave the company. The most enjoyable thing was working with good people and all the fellowship...company cookouts and picnics.
Good work environment with friendly faces
Temporary Summer Help (Former Employee) –  Holland, MIMarch 1, 2017
I worked in the warehouse and the people that you work with make it a more enjoyable time. As long as you get your work done you will be fine and make friends hopefully as well. They give lot of direction and help if you need it.
Pros
Break rooms are nice
One of the best companies to work for!
Sr. Field Market Manager (Former Employee) –  Holland, MIDecember 19, 2016
Herman Miller is extremely innovative in they way they create their products and do business. The environment is also a huge focus - among other things they were one of the founding members of the U.S. Green Building Council. They also treat their employees EXTREMELY well.
aPlace to do your job and go home
Hanger (Former Employee) –  Spring Lake, MIFebruary 13, 2017
Not a difficult job at all. A lot of overtime. learned to read manifest, and hang parts within a timely fashion. Had meetings every night to aware employee of upcoming work and expectation. As far as workplace culture.... its a business as is any other employer
Great culture and Focus on people
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Zeeland, MIDecember 27, 2016
Herman Miller is a great to work, HMI make great products base on serving people needs. Herman Miller focus on supporting and helping people to be efficient at work and at home.
Pros
Developing people and creating opportunities
Cons
Lack of support 3rd shift team
Very organized and professional
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Holland, MISeptember 15, 2016
I worked for Herman Miller for 8 years. Lost my job due to the downturn in the us economy after 911. (Cut backs). Wish I still was working there. Very organized and professional working environment. Good benefits and good pay. Basically if you did your job safely, came to work on time everyday and followed the rules you were golden. Not hard work. Great inventory system. Chances for advancement. Workers were friendly and helpful. All and all a good place to work.
Pros
Chances for Advancement
Cons
Cannot think of any
unload and load semi
Dock Supervisor of Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Zeeland, MIMarch 27, 2017
not a good place to work, long time people could swear at you with no punishments, hit you with hilo with no rite up and still have there job, just a bad place to work,
Pros
got to leave at lucnch
Cons
not a paid lunch
Good Company to work for
Hi-Lo Driver (Former Employee) –  Zeeland, MIMarch 9, 2017
Great Co-Workers to work with
Management wasn't into the employees concerns
Learned to dive Hi-lo,Assembly parts,Inventory,Pull and loaded parts from Trailer and into Trailer
Pros
Free lunches when working OT
Great Place
Business Unit Manager (Current Employee) –  Zeeland, MIDecember 29, 2016
I love HMI. Great company to work for and they truly care. The only thing I would like to see the company do, would be to promote within the company.
Pros
Great benefits and pay. Really building a good culture.
Cons
Hard to move up in the company
Excellent all around
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAMarch 1, 2017
I highly enjoyed working there, if it weren't for the company shutting down I would still be there. Management was great, they had decent wages, there was also great moral among the employees and management.
Good company
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Zeeland, MIJanuary 20, 2017
They are a good company, but they let me go without a warning and seemed pretty rude with how they did it. Otherwise the people were amazing, the management was spectacular, and they are very understanding.
Great company
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 8, 2016
Good place to work.Training and development was a major component of the workforce.The most enjoyable part of the job was the opportunity to share new ideas with management.
Pros
Training and Development
Cons
When the company changed management
goo place to work
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Zeeland, MIFebruary 23, 2017
good place to work, layoffs are what drove me out, people are great to work with and management is good. lay offs happen way to often and I thought that the way they handled is not good
Very productive
Assembly Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Spring Lake, MINovember 7, 2016
Great team building skills. Everyone works very hard to make sure the job is done and the correct product is sent out and sent out on time.
Pros
Great team work skills
Cons
Works hard to make sure everyone is working correctly and properly.
Really Great place to Work
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Zeeland, MIJanuary 22, 2017
As a Former operator, this place was very enjoyable. My co-workers were amazing. If you had a question about anything, someone would answer it and help you. Management could've been better. In the department I worked in.. our boss wouldn't tell us certain things that first shift knew about which sucked because if we ran into that problem you would be down for 2 or 3 hours with maintenance. I ran a Andi router, and it was very hard but I enjoyed it because I wasn't standing around all day unless I went down. But other that I was constantly moving. I would go home and still have enough energy to do a lot. Pay was pretty good as well. As an Adecco you get payed every Thursday, and as an employee it was bi-weekly but still on Thursday. There was overtime but it wasn't bad at all, it's totally worth it. Lastly be on time! I struggled with that because my home life was stressing me out and I would sleep through my alarm and call in. I miss this Job very much and if the opportunity came up, I'd take it in a heartbeat.
Pros
Snacks on Day 6, 7, Listen to music on shop floor
Cons
Management in certain departments could be better
not to bad
Machine Welder (Former Employee) –  Spring Lake, MINovember 11, 2016
is a decent place to work. has a bit of a pervert problem with some of the men. but on the other hand the jobs aren't bad. there simple enough and not to easy. some shifts are lazier than others. way to much safety! lighten up!
Very Good Company
Manufacturing Associate (Current Employee) –  Muskegon, MISeptember 27, 2016
Herman Miller is a very good company to work for. There are a ton of things that they offer and a ton of things that they do inside and outside of their company, such as all sorts of different volunteer work. Its a really great place.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Herman Miller, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2