HERMES

HERMES Employer Reviews

excelent
team member (Former Employee), kiveton,August 11, 2014
Pros: people
Cons: long hours
very busy typical day at work. i learned how to work under pressure and work to deadlines. my team leader and management very nice and helpful when i needed. working with my colleagues was always fun and everybody was friendly and helpful. hardest part of the job was to working long hours and collecting heavy parcels.
i enjoyed working in harmes every – more... day it was very good life experience for me.
thank you . – less
good enviroment to work and friendly staff.
night loader (Current Employee), perthJuly 16, 2014
Cons: night shift
Good fast paced environment so always have to be on the ball.
Fun workplace
FLT Truck Driver (Former Employee), WarringtonJuly 16, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job the atmosphere & the team work environment.
Lifestyle Couriers Must Read This
ex Courier (Former Employee), CourierJuly 11, 2014
If you are looking to become a Lifestyle Courier for Hermes or Yodel then first have a look at this forum www.lifestylecouriers.net
You will find out all you need to know about being a courier for this company. It is the biggest and best UK independent forum for lifestyle couriers, full of past and present couriers.
no fun in the work place
Courier (Former Employee), Dundee, SCTJune 18, 2014
Cons: did not earn enough
did not like the way it was run would not work for them again.I learned a lot about being a courier from co workers and how to use the hht not from hermes
benefitial expirience
Assistant Courier (Current Employee), AlkringtonJune 12, 2014
delivering parcels in the community.
learned how to deal with customers
weather difficulties
taking to the customers
fun work place to an extent
warehouse operative/ first aider (Former Employee), essex & knowsleyJune 2, 2014
Pros: good rate of pay
Cons: finishing at 2am with no way of getting home
iv worked for the company for over a year, i moved from essex where i worked for them and help train the staff for the new warehouse in knowsley, being the only girl made it very difficult for the 'banter' as i had more experience than them i got all the name calling plus travelling 13 miles just to get there made it all too much and i had to leave, – more... managment was awful one of the managers told me that 'far too many complaints' had been put in about myself to later find out not one person did. other than the bad times it was a great place to work but i would sooner work back in essex for the company where there is no sexism. – less
Hard work - Crewe Courier
Courier (Former Employee), Crewe East, ENGApril 7, 2014
Pros: meeting people
Cons: field management.
I enjoyed working for Hermes, picking up parcels and delivering them, enjoyed meeting the people I was delivering parcels to. Until I came into contact with the FTM management. Most of them are beyond useless (I had 2 in my time there), my training was minimal, I learnt everything off the other couriers or depot staff. They never replied to phone calls, – more... and told you where you were always going wrong but never when you were doing a good job. They expect you to go that bit further for the company, but they wont do it in return.

My van got stolen, and 8 parcels taken, but over 100 were retrieved, so they sacked me...2 hours after it happened. My FTM then told others why it had happened, which I was appalled at. Hermes - the caring face of parcel delivery. Disgrace. – less
Productive and interesting
HR Consultant (Current Employee), Field Based around the UKApril 4, 2014
Cons: away from home monday to thursday
Never have a typical day - the whole range of HR duties, including recruitment.
My Courier Life
Courier (Former Employee), Colchester, ENGMarch 13, 2014
Pros: flexible
Cons: damage to my vehicle
Sorted parcels
Learnt a great deal regarding this industry and suppliers
Saw very little of the management
Co-workers were of all mixed ages
The hardest part was meeting deadlines in the festive period
This job was my life,I had a very good rapport with my customers
Good company
self employed (Current Employee), manchesterMarch 3, 2014
Pros: flexible work hours
Cons: not many
good company to work for. regular rounds are easy to deliver. cover work available
Interesting company to work for
C2C agent (Former Employee), Maidstone, ENGFebruary 13, 2014
Very busy due to volume of work, taught new in-house systems. Management helpful. Co-workers easy to get along with. Hardest part finding missing parcels in warehouse. Most enjoyable part - training courses.
Review:
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee), Tamworth - VenturaFebruary 13, 2014
- I have experience working safely in a warehouse environment
- While working at Hermes I had to work from 4pm to 3am most nights, which enabled me to get used to working night shifts
- I have experience in parcel sorting, loading and unloading
- I know how to safely and efficiently move stock around by hand or using lifting gear
unhappy place
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee), warringtonFebruary 13, 2014
Cons: nasty managers
i worked there for a few years which i learnt so much which im grateful for but..it was just the managers there and everyone who works there will say the same.
Fast Paced and Challenging
Courier Depot Manager (Former Employee), LondonFebruary 8, 2014
Pros: financially independent, management experience and excellent benefits.
Cons: long hours, physically and mentally demanding.
A typical day would consist of a collection from anywhere in the south east delivering to a single destination which could be anywhere from London to Glasgow or any other town / city, which would be paid at a set rate. Making sure all the drivers have taken the right parcels for delivery that day and getting them out in time, taking phone calls from – more... customers regarding deliveries and dealing with any problems which arise.

During my time at Hermes, I learned how to plan my route in postcode order allowing me to be more organised and detail oriented.

As a depot manager, I managed staff and general running of a small depot of twenty drivers. I would also set daily targets for the drivers which were always met.

Learning new routes, meeting daily schedules and timed deliveries were fairly difficult to achieve. However, once this was a very familiar part of my routine, this became second nature to me, to which I passed these skills on to my co-workers.

The most enjoyable part of being an employee at Hermes, was that every task is time and results orientated. Ability to interact with people in a positive and efficient manner is rated very highly. I also enjoyed training my staff and passing down my skills and knowledge. – less
got to meet lots of people
Courier (Current Employee), London, ENGFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: you work in your own time
Cons: sometimes the parcel counts were silly over 100 and it was a part time job
go to the yard pick up parcels for my round, scan them onto the hand held scanner then make sure that they tally with the list given, everyone had their own rounds sometimes you would get a parcel from someone elses round for yours so we would have to swop them about the hardest part of the job was sitting about in lots of traffic the most enjoyable – more... part was finishing the whole round with no parcels left over so a clean start for the next day. – less
Enjoyable work but very poor company to work for
parcel delivery driver (Former Employee), Norwich, ENGFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: enjoyable work, left to get on with things, out and about during the working day
Cons: terms and conditions, very short depot opening hours
I worked as a self-employed parcel delivery driver for Hermes from May 2012 until December 2013. I used my own car to do the work.

The actual work is enjoyable. I liked dealing with the customers (many of whom were regulars) and being out and about during the working day. I was generally also allowed to get on with things without my manager or anyone – more... else breathing down my neck.

However there are some real negatives:

The pay - only 50p per parcel for most deliveries and collected parcels. If the customer wasn;t in and there was no safe place to leave the parcel, I was not paid for that delivery.

Hugely difficult to get holiday time off work as my manager needed to find a cover driver. It was normally only confirmed a couple of days before I wanted the time off.

The size of the parcels increased as time went on, meaning on many occasions I couldn;t get all of the parcels into my car. The depot is only open for around 1.5 hours each day so no chance to come back later in the day to collect the parcels that didn't fit first time round.

Having to sort and load parcels outside from a cage into my car. Fine when it was dry. Terrible when it was wet - meaning half the parcels would start falling apart.

In conclusion, I enjoyed the work but Hermes are a poor company to work for. – less
Customer focused
Courier (Former Employee), LeicesterFebruary 3, 2014
Providing high level of customer service on a daily basis, working hours to suit the customer.
Good work environment
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee), Sheffield, ENGJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: it testested your strengths and weaknesses
Cons: hurt your back and a very long bus ride.
I basically did the same other than some of the bays were harder.
I learnt how to use a scanner and be on the belt and sort parcels into the right barrows. The management team was a good help on letting you no what you need to do with a good explanation. My co-workers were a good help in the industry and were very easy to get on with. The hardest part – more... was loading the wagons at the end as you were really tired at the end of the day. The enjoyable part of the job were that all the workers had a laugh with everyone and when i new my work was done and the managers were happy with my job that i had done. – less
busy all the time all year round
Night Ops Manager (Current Employee), SouthJanuary 20, 2014
Been with it for the past 6 years, started from warehouse person, gone up to night ops manager.
If you show your initiative you will be recognised no doubt

1 2 3 4 5