Herschend Family Entertainment

Herschend Family Entertainment Employee Reviews

Enjoyable
Snow Mountain Team Member (Former Employee), Stone Mountain, GAMarch 13, 2015
Pros: free tickets and discounts in the park.
Cons: managers sometimes forget to give you a break
I love my co-workers enthusiasm and positivity in the workplace but the schedule is unorganized and it took them a while after hiring me to bring me in for training when I transferred positions in the – more... park. I did learn great communication and organizational skills. I also had fun working in a team environment. The only thing I would change would be making the schedule prior to just adding dates and times without letting your team know well in advance. – less
The attached resume details my extensive professional experience and training. If you so choose to interview me and hire me, you will not be disappoin
Merchandiser / Retail Buyer (Former Employee), Branson, MOMarch 10, 2015
Pros: business perks, merit programs, goal oriented
Cons: corporate communication
A typical day in the life of a buyer

I would meet with vendors 3 out of 5 days a week, studying market trends, collaborating with each vendor to develop conceptual buys that met our financial / budgeted – more... goals. I.E. turns, margins, mark downs, exit strategies for new retail programs.

Seasonally: I would plan for two national events; National Kids Festival and the Blue Grass and BBQ event, I would also assist in planning the Fall events. All events were held in a separate venue that offered, food, entertainment, and retail merchandise that complimented a centralized theme. All events were created to enhance the overall guest experience.

We would develop floor plans within each retail venue that supported the new merchandise floor sets that were predetermined at our annual planning meetings.

I would attend 4 market trips per year to procure merchandise programs that supported all of our annual events as well as for the retail stores.

As a buyer you must continually re-invent yourself and your retail venues to constantly stay on top of market trends; through constant antithetical reporting systems. It is imperative that you understand the overall business model, guest demographic as well as seasonality to ensure success.

It is then equally important that you relay and communicate thoroughly to your support staff for a well-executed plan. It is also imperative to stay on top of each shipment to ensure "On time deliveries",

Weekly I would meet with our accounting department reviewing invoices for accountability from our vendor partners.

I have committed over 32 years as a purchasing agent for soft-lines as well as hard-lines and have learned is that if you fail to plan you are in essence planning to fail.

Excellence starts from the top and filters down; my ideal management team is one that is like a fine tuned orchestra. Each person contributes to the whole as a TEAM.
The smallest of mistakes due to the lack of communication will become the most obvious. You work hard together in completing a common goal as a team and you reap the rewards as a team.

The hardest part of the job for me is confrontation

The most enjoyable part of the job is when an actual task comes to fruition. I love seeing the new merchandise on the retail floor; I love seeing the expressions on the guest that come into shop and I especially love when the guest come back year after year because your business model has been a success. – less
see previously published review
VP, MARKETING, INTERACTIVE & CONSUMER TECHNOLOGY (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 25, 2015
see previously published review where I talked about the culture and benefits of working for a privately held, family owned company.
dont do it
leadership (Current Employee), stone mountain park gaFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: management
The department i worked in cared little about the employees and more about getting rid of the staff using the iron fist.
Management made fun of handicap employees behind there backs
I also saw a lot of – more... sx and age discrimination
Unless your strap for cash i wouldn't do it. Leadership targets employees they don't like. They wont coach you they talk about it but they then turn around and get a thrill went they can fire you.
One lady that hurt her back boy leadership is trying to find a way to fire her because the leaders are fools all they can talk about is getting rid of her – less
Fun place to work
Guest Relations Coordinator (Former Employee), Stone Mountain, GAJanuary 30, 2015
I worked for Stone Mountain Park off and on for 7 years- it was a great job for me while I was in high school, college and even while I was looking to start my career. I definitely had some not so good experiences with management, but all in all it was a great time in my life- I made some wonderful friends and got a great amount of job experience.
Former Employee
Attractions (Former Employee), Branson, MOJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: the people
Cons: the pay & hours
Great place to work! They pay isn't that great though. The work is not that hard, but the hours can be long and inconsistent.
Working with a well-known area attraction, who wouldn't have fun !!
Accounts Receivable Supervisor/Credit Manager (Former Employee), Branson, MONovember 21, 2014
Pros: free admission to most area attractions, ye discount sales
Cons: healthcare, lack of advancement opportunities
I was the credit maanger with Herschend and handled all corporate invoicing for ticket sales to all venues.
Many different hats were worn over the years, lots of job share with the growth of the corporation – more... not only within accounting but with the Foods and Attraction divisions.
Hardest part of the job was lack of growth and advancement

The most enjoyable, was the interfacement with all of the various divisions and properties of Herschend – less
Herschend Family Entertainment
Ride Operator, Food Service Line (Former Employee), Branson, MOSeptember 18, 2014
Job requires much of its employees. Customer service is number one priority. Fun place to work, build connections.
Mom and Pop Operation
Dollywood Foods Operational Manager (Former Employee), Dollywood, Pigeon Forge TennesseeSeptember 6, 2014
Pros: no rules
Cons: no rules
This is an old company with old ideas, but claim to want to be more corporate in structure. I learned nothing from this company and feel like it used me to get fresh ideas and then did not help me in putting the ideas in place.
Great Place To Work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Stone Mountain, GASeptember 4, 2014
Stone Mountain Park a division of Herschend Family Entertainment is a fun work place that focuses on providing family friendly entertainment to guest.
fun work place you get too meet alot of people
Retail Sales / Customer Service (Former Employee), Stone Mountain, GAJune 11, 2014
its easy to move up in the ranks everyday is different so no one day is typical
Creating memories worth repeating
Server/ Server Trainer/Cashier (Former Employee), Stone Mountain, GeorgiaJune 9, 2014
Pros: take your break in a park, walk around the park, meet cool people
Cons: short breaks, pay for food although discounted still high
I worked in the Foods department inside Marketplace restaurant near the trolley train that drives around the property of stone mountain park. I learned how to pic up a 100+pound of ice over my head and – more... dump it into a big ice bin even when customers were all lined up outside the restaurant. Definitely not the way to go.lol. However its a pretty cool place to work, the folks that work there are very cool and easy going. I never had a altercation there with anyone. The pay is not that good though. Start at whatever the minimum wage is but room for growth there all the time. The benefits are free passes to the park two tickets a month. blah. and discounted rooms on hotels within the park thats a pretty good perk. 2 free parking pass as well. and another for family but they will have to pay for entrance if they do not have that sticker. Too much work and definitely not enough pay – less
Good Company to work for great support system
Retail Supervisor Grand Village (Former Employee), 2800 W 76 Branson MoJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: support of a big company, lots of different products
Cons: company sold shops was going to have to move the theme park job
I was in charge of all 27 shops at The Grand Village. My roles included scheduling and over seeing the receiving and set up of products. I learned a lot about HR from this Company and took many management training classes.
Theme Park
Ride Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee), Valdosta, GAOctober 1, 2013
Nice place to work very family type atmosphere, lots of fun, left due to stress and lack of home and family time park is open on weekends and holidays.
Amazing job
Amusement and Recreation Attendant (Former Employee), Pigeon Forge, TNAugust 7, 2012
Pros: great atmofier
Cons: pay
I loved working here. It had potental for carrer advancement.
They promote themselves as having Christian values, but these values don't reflect reality.
Attractions (Former Employee), Stone Mountain ParkJuly 10, 2012
Pros: discounts on merchandise.
Cons: overbearing trainers, paranoia regarding tedious/trivial details, emotional abuse, excessively long hours standing in 95+ degree weather, unfriendly. the complete opposite of their stated christian ethics, according to their employee handbook and orientation video(s), etc.
First day on the job, (after attending orientation where the company stresses how it follows the teachings of Jesus Christ) my trainer used the Lord's name in vain in casual conversation and it went downhill – more... from there. I was subjected to a bizarre 15 diatribe (on a trivial matter while in training) by this person's supervisor after bringing this up to human resources. I was told by a long time employee that people being chewed out is a common occurrence for this near minimum wage, part-time, seasonal job that is supposed to be a fun job for the summer. As a true creative professional, I was "preached" to by young "trainers" who have no experience or professional training in the creative arena. Management appears to be intoxicated with yielding power over trainees... a strong indicator of lack of self esteem and self confidence. After being hired, you find out that they work near-minimum wage employees for three consecutive 14 hour days without allowing them to sit without a note from their doctor. In short, a pathetic experience and I would not recommend working here unless you are a glutton for disrespect and unwarranted emotional abuse by rank amateur trainers and supervisors who lack management experience. – less

About Herschend Family Entertainment

Herschend Family Entertainment (HFE) makes more than a few silver dollars. The company owns and operates (or co-owns), more thanĀ 25 – Read more