Hess Corporation Employee Reviews

Very safe, productive and educational place to work
Mechanic / Laborer / Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Port Reading, NJMay 14, 2014
Every day started off with a shop safety meeting and review of work to be done for that day as well as other work happening through out the plant that may affect our jobs. Daily responsibilities included operation of heavy trucks and equipment, laborer work , pipefitter work as needed by the needs of the Operations and Terminal Departments. I was able to receive train the trainer certifications for forklifts and aerial work platforms, an OSHA 3010 certification for Excavation, Trenching, and Soil Mechanics, OSHA 40 hour safety training, Industrial Fire Brigade training, High Angle and Confined Space Rescue training, as well as N.J. State Emergency Medical Technician Certification. The management at Hess was a group of people who have many years of experience in their fields were very approachable and had an interest in the workers point of view and opinion on different ways to increase safety and productivity. My co-workers at Hess were some of the best people in their fields that I have ever met, who I am still in touch with. They took pride in the work that they did and always did their jobs in a safe manner with the companies best interest in mind. The hardest part of the job was probably when we had to make temporary repairs due to operational time constraints and then have to go back and do the job again to make a proper fix rather than due the work correctly the first time. The most enjoyable part of the job was working for a well structured company and a great group of people and a management who made it a point to let the employees that they appreciated their hard work.
Pros
good pay, great savings plan, good health benefits
Cons
having to work in all types of weather conditions
Hess
DISTRICT MANAGER, New York Capital Region (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJJuly 25, 2012
Hess is a company looking to find it's way and find out how to function in the new economy. It's struggling between continuing to deliver the same consistent margin results, doing the right thing and upgrade it's aging stations and c-stores and find it's identity as an energy company, a chain of gas stations and an owner of c-stores. The later in the very bottom of it's priority and it shows in the assignment of funds for it's rusting stations, adding security systems, relocation sites to the new centers of business and traffic. As a business decision, the stations are properly ranked, with the gas and energy delivering the lions share of the profit, yet the public image of Hess remains those stations, that morning cup of coffee, that friendly face behind the counter. That advantage can not be underestimated and sometimes is. The Hess retail family are some of the hardest working people I have ever met, many having been with the company for a very long time. Many of my managers and crew were in place for a very long time. My support system above me consisted of layers of very experienced, professional people. Very seasoned, very street savvy. I learned alot about managing issues surrounding the sale of cigarettes, liquor and beer, pizza and sub sales. Extremely educational experience.
Pros
top notch training & when company behind an effort, can be impressive
Cons
some stations old, rusting, in disrepair. little dollars for more then band-aid upkeep.
Poor working environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Norwich, NYJuly 21, 2013
A typical day working for this company would be maintaining the look of the store as well as customer service. Management was not helpful when it came to employees. It felt like he/she was always putting you down and not recognizing the efforts that were put into that days work or overall working method. Co-workers were good, easy to work with and helpful if ever needing help with a specific task. Hardest part of this job was adjusting to numerous managers within a year or so time frame and having to change how we were taught to do something from one manger and then have to do it a completely different way when a new manager came. My time here was most enjoyable because of both, co-workers and the "regular" customers. Some days were made better because of the people, whether it was a joke they told or compliment that was given. After having left the company, on occasion I still run into some of the customers I used to see and they would always say I was missed. For me that is a great accomplishment and acknowledgement knowing that I made a different to someone and having put a smile on their faces.
Pros
new products would come in and employees would be the first to test it out.
Cons
no breaks on any shift even if having to work a 12-15 hour shift
Fun While It Lasted
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLNovember 13, 2012
I worked night shift, I learned how to manage the store and do inventory. I only worked with 3 other people. I worked by myself other than a couple times I Trained 3 different people at the store. Honestly There was nothing hard about the job. I liked that job alot the best part was getting to know the customers and develop kind of a relationship with them. Repeat customers is your most business and i made sure they were happy and came back for more. I made more money for that store on midnight shift a few days a week than the other 2 shifts made just due to the fact i cared about the customer i made sure they got what they wanted and made sure they walked in and smiled and walked out with a smile. Important thing is Acknowledge them when they enter the store. Then everything falls in place after that. They want to be noticed and feel special at times. I even worked holidays I worked Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years Eve, and New Years Day.
Pros
having fun, interaction with people with the customers.
Cons
management didnt know what the were doing and ended up costing me my job.
Analytical Risk Specialist
Market Risk Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 19, 2013
On a typical day I analyze VaR calculation changes involving commodity spreads, time spreads, and flat price volumes.. I verify daily, over 200 curves from front office mark-to-market exposures independently through external pricing databases and brokers. I monitor and maintain risk limits for position exposures and VaR levels. I meet with the front office team to go over market movements, current exposures, and possible future positions. I do this for three portfolios.
I enjoy analysing the market swings in response to supply and demand. The hardest yet fun part of the job is figuring out the anomalies that arise due to operational obstacles. I enjoy being a helpful risk measure to the front office,
When projects arise I, along with my knowledge of the front offce and midoffice systems, devise a plan to strategically come to a solution and then delegate the steps to my colleagues. While working together as a team we nnot only get the job done but we all learn something in the process.
Where Shopping is a Pleasure
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Naples, FLOctober 21, 2014
⦁ collaboratively with other departments to reach a fair resolution to problems.Collaborated with associates, department managers, and store manager on the daily operation of a store in a major grocery chain. Provided employees with tools to maintain and increase service levels and satisfaction. Gathered, analyzed, and reported daily/weekly/monthly sales and service statistics.
⦁ Contributed to the increased success of a high volume, high revenue store by anticipating customer needs and providing products and services as necessary.
⦁ Interacted with customers to identify needs, field questions, and ensure a positive experience. Enhanced employee performance and attendance through daily mentoring, one-on-one discussions, and motivational strategies.
⦁ Received outstanding positive comments from team members on employee reviews, as well as exceptional feedback from senior management.
Pros
the transaction begins and ends with great servive.
Cons
na
Hard place, good times
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Penfield, NYApril 4, 2012
My shifts at Hess usually lasted 10 to 12 hours graveyard shift and I would usually have to return back to work anywhere from 8 to 10 hours later (sometimes as little as 7) to do another shift. The work was hard, the hours were strange, but despite all that it was the most fulfilling job I'd had in a while. It sometimes got EXTREMELY busy due to the winter season (It was located in upstate New York) when the snow plows would come through but the work was never dull, there was always something to do. The majority of my coworkers were very pleasant to be around, and the management at that location was some of the best I have had the pleasure of working with in a long time. The best part of the job was the sense of responsibility I felt while I was at work, It was up to me and another person to make sure everything was ready for the next day, since it was a 24 hour location.
Pros
good pay, good hours, good management, interesting people
Cons
night time hours, long shifts, lack of sleep.
Decent entry level, just make sure you know policies
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Hicksville, NYOctober 12, 2013
Worked for Hess for many years, starting at the bottom. Circumstances allowed me to propel myself into a manager's position, don't take it the wrong way, I worked and I taught myself. Pay was decent for the amount of work I was doing, quarterly bonuses are awesome if you can get the right team together to make the differences needed to increase margin. It also helps to be mechanically inclined, service calls can end up costing a lot of money for the littlest things so call up your fellow managers and see if they have spare parts, otherwise kiss that bonus goodbye and prepare for your marketing rep to chew you out over the P&L. The only warning I will give is this, make sure your team knows you aren't to be messed with and make sure your rep knows that as well, otherwise you'll get into situations where people take advantage of you and if there's blowback it'll be on you.
Pros
not a tough job for the pay
Cons
watch your back
Good old boy system, Some good people, No work life balance,
Marketing Rep. (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJMarch 19, 2012
The retail channel of trade needs a serious 3rd party 360 feed back with and John's ear to listen then act. The old timers with strong work ethic live and believe in "the Hess Way" and are some how holding this entire retail channel of trade together. However, the thin political string may be a retail name changer. Politics, reactive manaagement, smoking mirrors, egos, fluff retail tours, high stress and inconsistent weak operations working countless hours makes this channel of trade very unstable. I feel Hess retail branding needs a gas station make over. Someone dropped the ball Leon handed them and they left Hess branded retail to run mismanaged. Someone is trusting in some of the wrong people to lead their HESS retail sites.
Pros
if you make your numbers, management will want more (natural) however, they will leave you alone.
Cons
if you miss the target they treat you like dirt.
Excellent 10 years
Executive Secretary (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 8, 2014
• Provided executive administrative support to the Vice President of the Global Supply Chain department and its 12 direct reports.
• Proven skills in managing the day-to-day activities of the leadership team.
• Expense reports generation and processing / Maintenance of departmental documents (new hire on boarding, office assignments, etc.) / Recorded meeting minutes and action planner.
• Booked travel arrangements (domestic and International) and assured all documentation needed for travel (e.g., visas, passports, immunizations, etc.)
• Other duties included:
o Answering high volume phone lines, prioritize and provide first level response when appropriate
o Ordering of office supplies / Support the Admin team in quarterly leadership meetings and Town halls.
o Arrange, schedule, and reserve conference rooms for meetings. / Order and clean up lunch for meetings

Want to know more about Hess Corporation?

Ask a question
The Gem of the Oil & Gas Industry
Sr. Facilities (Plant) Engineer (Former Employee) –  Erath, LAOctober 21, 2015
I worked as the Sr. Facilities (Plant) Engineer at the Sea Robin Gas Plant for four years before this asset was purchased from Hess and I was severed from the company. I got to know some of the company VP's during this time and they were all very decent people. The maintenance technicians and plant operators that I worked with at Sea Robin were all very down to earth and concerned about the health and safety of their co-workers. Everyone was always very serious about their jobs and sincerely cared about doing things right.

I only have good things to say about Hess and the people I worked with. If you ever pursue employment with Hess, feel 'blessed' if you are granted it. You will enjoy your daily work routine and the sincerity of the people around you. Very little 'politics' are played within this company.
Pros
Everything about it.
Cons
Really can't think of any.
Loved My Job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge Nj 07095August 27, 2012
Hess is one of the most intense, incredible and fun places i have work; and the one that gave me 5 years of experience. The work Environment the people and the things you do, how you share with the people and do your things, easy and joyful.

the only problem is not your direct management( General manager/ Assistant manager). THE PROBLEM IS LOCATED IN UPPER MANAGEMENT, PEOPLE WHO DOES NOT EVEN KNOW HOW THE EMPLOYEES RUN THE STORES AND THEY JUDGEMENT ARE NOT AS QUALIFIED AS THE SHOULD BE, SO THEY TEND TO TAKE WRONG DECISIONS. MOST OF THE TIME THIS DECISIONS WILL NOT AFFECT YOU SINCE YOU ARE STARTING.

OVER ALL: IF YOU GET TO WORK AT HESS EXPRESS, IT IS A NICE PLACE TO WORK THE PEOPLE IS FRIENDLY AND THE JOB IS NOT TOO HARD.

I PERSONALLY FEEL VERY THANKFUL WITH EVERYDAY I SPENT THERE
Pros
best place not too hard, people friendly
Cons
upper management
Productive and fun place to work.
Cashier/ Customer service (Former Employee) –  Mamaroneck, NYAugust 19, 2013
Enjoyed working with this company, it was a very busy environment, the people are nice but my biggest challenge was the lottery tickets the person gave me the wrong numbers and was extremely rude assuming they would have been charged for an error, trying to explain not to worry that the manager will assist,she really over reacted but she left happy and peacfull store. Really enjoyed working on holidays always like being with family as they treated you .As for my co-workers some where great but i had one person gave me wrong instructions, the customers and employees enjoyed my energy and work abilities and this particular person try really hard to have me fired.
Pros
hess was very sympathetic to their employees.
Cons
however my shift was 2-10 and my train didn't come until 11.
Great co-workers, horrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Goose Creek, SCMay 22, 2012
My typical day at work was standing all day, taking a break only when it was slow.
This management was the worst I have ever worked with in all my years of working. The store manager's idea of workforce management was everyone is on call. If you didn't work on a day you got called in on your day off, then you were going to get fired or have your hours reduced. Did I mention I got fired because I could not work on my scheduled day off when I asked to come in?
The assistant manager was the laziest woman I have every worked with.
Most of my co-workers were great, hard-working people.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co-workers; they were a great crew.
Pros
close in proximity to home
Cons
no set working schedule, no set breaks, sporadic working hours.
Former General Manager
General Manager (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaNovember 9, 2012
If you enjoy spending all of your time at Hess with no life outside of this company, then by all means work for them. I would not recommend this company to anyone. The pay is lacking for every position, they expect you to dedicate your life to the store, they do nothing to help you find decent employees, the turn around for employment is so much higher than actual employees who stay with the company. Management hours are horrible as I spent 70 hrs a week at this dump for more than 7 months due to the location and continual employee theft. There is no job security, no advancement unless you know someone higher up, and their values are very hypocritical.
Pros
absolutely none
Cons
no time off, lousy job, pay is not worth the effort expected from you.
Great company with unlimited earning potential. Unfortunately the commodity market shot up and pricing volatility restricted revenue/income.
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OhioFebruary 1, 2015
It was my decision to leave as the commodity market became extremely volatile. Industrial users credit limits were restricted due to the upside risk. The credit risk and inability to show savings greatly reduced the RFP's that could be bid on and/or won at that time. Even credit worthy clients would not move from their current supplier over a $.005 per measurement savings as it was not worth it to them to renegotiate contract terms with a new supplier/provider and make a change.
Pros
they are an exceptional company.
Cons
the energy/commodity market was at a historic high and extremely volatile.
Great Place To Work!!! Meet lots of people!!!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Chambersburg PaNovember 24, 2012
I worked for this company for almost five years. Started out Sales Associate to Sr Sales to Asst. Manager.Once I became Asst. is when it went down hill, did most of the other employee's work and had to work when ever they needed me, which I did. Never missed one day of work while employed for them. Was terminated for not attending a not mandatory Asst. Manager's meeting in Harrisburg. I was heart broken to lose such a decent job because of poor recognition of all my hard work for Hess!! I miss my Manager and fellow employees as well as my customers everyday!!
Pros
customer relations, job advancement
Cons
not to many holidays or weekends off at first, poor outside management and poor company policies
Hess - Marching to the beat of its own drum, but trying to join the band
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TxDecember 10, 2012
Hess provides an environment full of opportunity for those willing to manage through the current hurdles/unrest related to the strategic drive to grow the company from a small player to a world class explorer. For those that are not petro-techs, there is a caste system in Hess where non petro-techs are treated as second class citizens which can cause angst amongst the troops. If you are ready to watch, learn and try to negotiate a share of interesting opportunities there isn't any shortage, but be prepared to politic to get there!
Pros
fabulous facilities (houston), great coworkers
Cons
less generous benefits than other e&p orgs, current high rates of attrition
Loss for words
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Hanson, MANovember 14, 2012
I didnt mind the work per say. But while I was there every thing was so disorganized the manger never knew what was going on some days I don't even think he knew his own name he was so lost and confused. The work basiclly consisted of working the cash registered, a little cleaning and then tracking lottery and ciggerettes at the end of the shift. That was not a problem for me that was kind of boring sometimes during an 8hr shift. My biggest complaint would have to be with the mangement team I worked under and the treatment I recieved when I went to them witha problem. So if you can handle poor treatment and disrespect then this is the job for you!
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
poor treatment by mangement to employees
Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 12, 2014
Building rapport with regular and non regular customers daily, tracking lottery, cigarettes, maintaining a balanced cash drawer while dropping excess into safe. Working with the team to keep store safe and clean for both workers and customers.
Management and coworkers were great to work with and everyone helped as needed and did there part. Working at retail like this you're able to build relationships with each customer as they come and go, with that in place it is a little easier to provide the best customer service experience with each individual.
Pros
dealing with different personalities and building relationships.
Cons
constant turnover and schedule could sometimes be unpredictable.