Hess Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to work.
Project Coordinator ProjectONE (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 7, 2016
Great company to work for. Good work life balance and plenty of opportunity to grow in your career. Very supportive management and leadership. Company benefits awesome - paid parking and/or public transportation - private Starbucks and private dinning facility on site in Corporate office located in downtown Houston near Discovery Green.
Pros
Diverse teams throughout organization- fun to work, learn, and grow career
Cons
Sudden lay-offs due to oil/gas prices
Excellent pay management was deficient in defining expectations
Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Minot, NDJanuary 21, 2016
Excellent pay & benefits, management was deficient in defining expectations, co-workers were excellent, assignments were challenging, working atmosphere excellent. Opportunity for advancement, limited.
Pros
Excellent pay & benefits, great co-workers
Cons
Poor management, they expected you to read their minds
Great place to work, lots of good people and always evolving with new challenges.
Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Minot, NDDecember 18, 2015
Typical day at work, very busy and long days. Learned how to manage my time to be efficient and valuable in a fast pace environment. Management and co-workers are great. The hardest part of the job is being away from family for weeks at a time and 14 to 16 hour work days. The most enjoyable part of the job is being off work for two weeks at a time.
Pros
Two weeks on and two weeks off.
Cons
Very long work days and no benefits.
Good place to work. Management of rotating personnel could be improved greatly.
Drilling Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Minot, NDJanuary 19, 2016
Well paying job working remotely on oil rigs in the state of North Dakota. Pay and benefits extremely good. Good working schedule of 14 days on and 14 days off. Lodging and travel provided by company.
Great for short term work
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, PAJanuary 8, 2016
Hess Express is a good company, but the type of company as a regular employee a stepping stone to gain retail experience if you want to stay in the industry and advance
Pros
Customers
Cons
Pay, Hours, Lack of Benefits
Multi-faceted manufacturing company with large growth potential
Purchasing Manager (Current Employee) –  Hays, KSDecember 4, 2015
In the 4-1/2 plus years I have been there I have advanced from a warehouse position to the Purchasing Manager. My strong work ethic was noticed and rewarded with numerous raises and anvancements
Safe workplace in a desolate location with extreme winter weather.
Remote Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Bakken Oil Patch, North DakotaAugust 17, 2015
I worked for Hess Oil as a remote paramedic and site access officer at various frack and drilling locations. I also participated and led safety briefings as well as identified safety hazards at work sites.
Management was efficient considering the distances between locations and very hands on. As with any job some co workers were positive and upbeat while others could have very unsafe working styles. The hardest part of the job was the amount of time spent seated on location. The part I enjoyed most was being outdoors often and the sweeping landscapes of the North Dakota Badlands.
Pros
Pay, time off, and many fringe benefits.
Cons
Two weeks at a time away from home.
A fast-paced, hands on, teamwork environment
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PANovember 1, 2015
A company that rewards hard work and dedication with advancement and promotion. Building strong teamwork and work ethic in all levels of employees. Well rounded work environment ranging from cash handling to merchandising to QSR.
Pros
Excellent bonus programs, Good benefits
Cons
Some 24 hr locations
Very rewarding all around.
Executive Assistant/Audit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJOctober 29, 2015
Very rewarding place to work. People were team players, always willing to learn, and was offered every opportunity to advance in education and skills.
Pros
Salary, Bonus, Benefits
Good benefits, politics prevail, abuse of employees
Senior Geological Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 30, 2015
Company is in a constant state of re-organization. Lack of preparation of well forseen projects by the poor management there causes employees to have to work long hours and miss the target for the project. Politics and favorites are a definite part of the work climate in many teams. Management finds one person to pin all of their failures on in order to stay on top. Sexism, discrimination, and illegal practices are alive and well in the company.
Pros
$6 all you can eat lunch, 1:1.3 matching 401K, pension, good benefits
Fun, Challenging workplace where I could improve the store appearance and sales.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ware, MAMay 3, 2016
Typical day at work was managing worker schedules, ordering replacement inventory, managing store displays and bank deposits. People skills in supervising staff. Staff was challenging as most were entry level and their "call out" required me to work their shift. The hardest part of the job was keeping the inventory accurate as shrinkage was an issue. The enjoyable part of the job was working well with associates and management team.
Pros
The fun and challenge of retail.
Cons
Employee call outs
Good people to work with management and co workers really engaged.
Class A Mechanic / Insulator/Pipe fitter (Former Employee) –  Port Reading, NJFebruary 24, 2016
Good paying and safe company to work for. Sadly the refinery closed despite consistently posting a profit. Management was generally good, I ended with a really good supervisor.I had some really top notch skilled co workers that even when they complained they cared about doing excellent work.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
long hrs in all types of weather
frustrating, people often underpaid
Drafter I (Former Employee) –  Hays, KSMay 19, 2016
some of the people were nice, but departments were often unorganized with some people doing the work of a few. I found it difficult to deal with constantly being told I was getting a raise (up to regular starting wage!) if I would do this or that, and once I had upheld my end of the deal, they totally forgot about my raise.
Pros
paid holidays, new challenges
Cons
management, pay, work expectations unclear
Lean and focuded operatiions
Project Manager - Topside Integrity Program (Current Employee) –  HoustonJuly 15, 2016
Great place to work with high level of autonomy for your area of responsibility. Typical 8:00 - 5:00 workday but no expectation on the hours worked as long as work is getting done. This generally meant coming in @ 6:30 and finishing anytime after 4:00pm.

Good management team that is hands-off but very supportive as were the co-workers.
Nice corporation
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Pinellas Park, FLFebruary 5, 2016
I didn't mind working for Hess, it was nice and especially during Christmas with those Hess trucks. Usually a fast paced job where I had to multitask between cooking and running the register, which I didn't mind. I love to have things to do, makes a productive day. My coworkers were nice and friendly, the management could of done a little better, but overall, it was enjoyable.
Pros
coworkers, customer service, great food
Fast paced, safety centric company
WELL SITE SUPERVISOR/DRILLING SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Minot, NDJanuary 20, 2016
Outstanding company that provided opportunities for it's employees to excel in new jobs and positions.

Outstanding training provided.
Senior VIPs implemented LEAN to drive down costs, solicited input from all personnel for implementation.
Worked a 14 day on, 14 day off rotation.

Hardest part of job was performing tasks outside during North Dakota winters with temperatures below -20 degrees and wind chills below -50 degrees

Most enjoyable aspect of job was the diversity of personnel led, worked with, and in contact with on a daily basis.
Pros
Leaders open minded to ideas in process improvement
Cons
Working environment conditions
A+ satisfy
Gas Attendant (Former Employee) –  Pennsauken, NJFebruary 2, 2016
A typical Day for me was hard work no play, I learned to work the cashier. Management enjoyed having me there. Co-worker if we got along great if not there was never an issue .. My job ot done.!! The Hardest part of the job was working in the snow. But I must admit I enjoyed helping customer if they had a problem with there car. and meeting new people
Pros
location
Cons
worked every holiday
Ridiculous Deadlines, No Incentive
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hays, KSMarch 14, 2016
near impossible deadlines and no incentive, the work cycles are patchy but that goes with the industry. The company also has a huge lack of communication from the higher ups
Pros
Possible Advancement
Cons
Pay
Decent Job For A College Student
Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Henrietta, NYMarch 1, 2016
-Days consisted of assisting customers and stocking the cooler/cigarettes and maintaining the coffee.
-Management was a bit shoddy but well meaning and respectful.
-Co-workers were generally kind and interesting, working their fair share.
Was great for a time...
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, MAMarch 29, 2016
Now hess has been bought out by speedway, but prior to that when i worked there i worked for many great people and learned alot in the retail management field.