Hess Corporation Employee Reviews

Very Frusterating Job
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 18, 2017
The Management makes you work long hours with no lunch break. There are no benefits. The job can be very dirty and the customers can be extremely disrespectful. I was harassed on a daily basis by customers and management did nothing to help me.
Pros
Good relationship with some customers and employees
Cons
No breaks
Great Company
Manager of Facilities and Office Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 16, 2017
Great company and people. Talented people with integrity and a very good working environment. The compensation is great, the atmosphere is great and the people are just good, honest people.
Pros
The culture
Cons
Bad time for oil industry
Productive Environment with plenty to learn.
Office Management (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 13, 2017
Worked in the Office Management department, had plenty to do and many opportunities to grow. The atmosphere was a friendly one with little to no issues. Guaranteed 40 hours and paid weekly. Enjoyed working there and made great friends.
Pros
Great location, Friendly environment, benefits
Laid back
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Silverton, NJFebruary 8, 2017
Don't know how anything is now that it's been taken over by Speedway but when it was still Hess, it was fast paced in the morning but afternoon/night it was more laid back. I personally enjoyed pumping gas the most because there was more to do working outside rather than in the store
Pros
Working outside in nice weather
Cons
Working outside in the cold
Good
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 6, 2017
Pros - Great company to work for. Positive culture, family environment. People work hard to get thing done.

Cons - high cost, not focus ... too many initiatives
Productivity Philosophy
Manager, Supply Chain - Projects (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 3, 2017
Company facilitates employee engagement and contributions toward overall improved productivity in all business function facets
Pros
Company Lunch Room
Excellent For Self Starters
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLFebruary 3, 2017
At Hess, I very often had to run the entire gas station by myself, which provided me with future tools and abilities to function at a high level in the job market.
Working at Hess
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Garner, NCJanuary 30, 2017
Hess was a Good job for me at first I loved the hours I worked but I started going to school and I would get phone calls about employee's stealing money and calling out at the last minute or did a no show became very inconvenience for me I would be pulling 60 or more hours a week at times. I loved my regular customer's they were all ways a joy.
Great Job - Bad Location
Sr. Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Tioga, NDJanuary 24, 2017
Overall a great place to work. Hard to get advancement, even if you deserve it. They were generous with there money, sometimes even wasteful. Benefits were great, if you need more vacation time (and you had a good excuse/justification for it) it was given to you.
Benefits
Cons
Productive place to work at
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New JerseyJanuary 24, 2017
it was usually busy, you had your usual customers. There was always something to do. It was fun fast pace environment to work in. The management was good, everybody did there part in keeping up with the cleanliness. Stocking making sure items aren't expired. I enjoyed it.
Great opportunities for advancement
Enterprise IM & Compliance Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 23, 2017
Great opportunities for advancement, great working environment. Dynamic thinking organization without restrictions due to being privately owned.

Allowing for free thinking and out of the box alternative solutions to be found.
Pros
Good pay, reduced cost meals, free medical, reduced cost gym
Not comfortable reviewing company
Employee (Former Employee) –  TexasJanuary 20, 2017
I was laid off by Hess, while my time there was enjoyable I'm not crazy about how it ended. Be cautious on giving up a stable job for a job at Hess.
Nice place to work and balance life
Global Supply Chain Specialist / Category Buyer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 18, 2017
Nice place to work and balance life. Respect employees and allow you to work independently.high in social responsibility and helping others. Nice cafeteria and gym for its employees
a lot of fun to work for great trainings
Cashier/Customer Service/Stock (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYJanuary 18, 2017
My typical work day would be come in count the safe in between customers, make sure food was fresh and ready by lunch time, count cigarettes in between customers, then while another cashier was there go in cooler and make sure everything was stocked full and kept stocked threw out the day. Deliveries were on Tuesdays and Fridays for the cooler and Saturdays for the rest of the store. i would check t make sure everything was in the order was there and then stock the shelves with what came in. i would organize what was let in stock room.
Pros
Fun people to work with
Cons
Didn't get official breaks had to eat at register
Gas Station
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Quakertown, PAJanuary 8, 2017
Give us your opinion about
typical day
management
co workers
hardest part of job
most enjoyable part of job
Your company review and job title will be shown publicly on indeed
Good Company with too many Management Levels
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 2, 2017
Overall Hess is a good company to work for. They have a good pay scale and excellent benefits. However, for the size of the company, there are too many management layers.In fact, with their recent round of layoffs, they said they were going to eliminate layers. Instead they concentrated layoffs on senior technical staff and kept managers.

The layoffs were bad of course, but this is the oil business. It is part of the normal business cycle. It is how you handle it. Hess handled it decently, but they were too careful to protect the wrong employees.

The office is great and the work environment is good. Great location in downtown Houston with plenty of access to everything in Houston. Good onsite dining. Discounted Starbucks level coffee bar on location in addition to all the normal free coffee on each floor.
Pros
Flexible schedule, dining. location, pay, benefits
Cons
Limited opportunities, limited management skill
Downtown
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 27, 2016
I enjoyed working at Hess -- the worst part of the day was the commute. The work was always interesting and on the cutting edge of exploration. Technology, however, wasn't always on the cutting edge. Strong tendency to favor younger employees and support their work even when it may not have been technically correct. Not so great if you are over 50.
Pros
benefits; compensation; exciting projects; mostly great co-workers; onsite lunchroom
Cons
random layoffs; great teams - horrible teams; personality conflicts
Great Company
P2P Supply Chain Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 4, 2016
They were probably the one of the very last oil and gas company to lay off. They did it as tastefully as they could. They have an onsite all you can eat food cafeteria for $6.00. I did gain a lot of weight there. They have an onsite gym for $20 plus tax.
Pros
Parking, people and before oil took a nose dive, times were good.
Cons
Small Supply Chain organization
not a bad place to work
GIS Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 2, 2016
Co-workers were a great bunch. Benefits are very good. payscale and possibility for growth at your position or within the company, not so much. flexible work time.
very neat place to work
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 2, 2016
Station always was clean and neat
Owners are well organized
Very diverse neighborhood
Not to much criminal activity in the area
Good neighborhood
Pros
Diverse neighborhood, not much criminal activity

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hess Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval