Hess Corporation

Hess Corporation Employee Reviews

Great co-workers, horrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Goose Creek, SCMay 22, 2012
My typical day at work was standing all day, taking a break only when it was slow.
This management was the worst I have ever worked with in all my years of working. The store manager's idea of workforce management was everyone is on call. If you didn't work on a day you got called in on your day off, then you were going to get fired or have your hours reduced. Did I mention I got fired because I could not work on my scheduled day off when I asked to come in?
The assistant manager was the laziest woman I have every worked with.
Most of my co-workers were great, hard-working people.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co-workers; they were a great crew.
Pros
close in proximity to home
Cons
no set working schedule, no set breaks, sporadic working hours.
Big company name but comes with a small Mom & Pop operated vibe.
IS Service Delivery Technician Analyst (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJMarch 4, 2013
I worked with approximately 18 other persons on a team that supported over 860 retail sites on a 24/7 basis. Besides providing daily tech support via phone and remote access software, we also conducted root case analysis of our work tickets generated in the month prior, maintained a knowledge tree, and conducted on field tech visits to our locations when deemed necessary. This was only a part of our daily responsibilities.
Pros
multi-faceted position/responsibilities; generous compensation/benefits/vacation package
Cons
lack of upward mobility. lack of work.
Great company with unlimited earning potential. Unfortunately the commodity market shot up and pricing volatility restricted revenue/income.
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OhioFebruary 1, 2015
It was my decision to leave as the commodity market became extremely volatile. Industrial users credit limits were restricted due to the upside risk. The credit risk and inability to show savings greatly reduced the RFP's that could be bid on and/or won at that time. Even credit worthy clients would not move from their current supplier over a $.005 per measurement savings as it was not worth it to them to renegotiate contract terms with a new supplier/provider and make a change.
Pros
they are an exceptional company.
Cons
the energy/commodity market was at a historic high and extremely volatile.
good place to work and learn Customer Service
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 25, 2014
When working at a Hess Gas Station it is all about how to treat people, from morning straight to the afternoon it is a quiet place to work, and if you are a student it is a good place to earn money while learning, the boss is a person who listen and adapts to things if anything should happen such as emergencies or personal problem. usually the duties working there are just being a cashier and making sure people are pumping gas right, also keeping the area clean of trash.
Pros
close to public transportation, not too busy, very nice community
Cons
have to bring or order food, cramped space
Fast paced, safety centric company
WELL SITE SUPERVISOR/DRILLING SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Minot, NDJanuary 20, 2016
Outstanding company that provided opportunities for it's employees to excel in new jobs and positions.

Outstanding training provided.
Senior VIPs implemented LEAN to drive down costs, solicited input from all personnel for implementation.
Worked a 14 day on, 14 day off rotation.

Hardest part of job was performing tasks outside during North Dakota winters with temperatures below -20 degrees and wind chills below -50 degrees

Most enjoyable aspect of job was the diversity of personnel led, worked with, and in contact with on a daily basis.
Pros
Leaders open minded to ideas in process improvement
Cons
Working environment conditions
Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 12, 2014
Building rapport with regular and non regular customers daily, tracking lottery, cigarettes, maintaining a balanced cash drawer while dropping excess into safe. Working with the team to keep store safe and clean for both workers and customers.
Management and coworkers were great to work with and everyone helped as needed and did there part. Working at retail like this you're able to build relationships with each customer as they come and go, with that in place it is a little easier to provide the best customer service experience with each individual.
Pros
dealing with different personalities and building relationships.
Cons
constant turnover and schedule could sometimes be unpredictable.
Cooperation and satisfaction always present
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLMay 8, 2015
Working at Hess really occupied my time, but it was a good occupation. There were the times where customers came in droves, and down time, but it was busy regardless. Our management and coworkers have the biggest hearts and are always encouraging each other to work hard and efficiently. Talking to the customers everyday always gave me something to smile about, and even long lines of customers didn't bother me much. Overall, I am proud to have worked for this establishment and with all of my coworkers and managers. Thumbs up!
Pros
Enjoyable work environment, friendly customers
Cons
Limited lunch period
Good company
Assistant Site Manager (Current Employee) –  Milltown, NJOctober 31, 2013
>Good company to work for.

>Computer skills, customer relations, management skills, margins and sales.

>Management could use a little looking into by there superiors not saying all managers but reviews could be helpful
customer complaints/comments/suggestions should always be taken seriously and looked into.

>Co-workers are great.

>Hardest part of the job is trying to get everything done on a very limited time frame/schedule.

>Knowing that our site is in the top 5 and being part of leading the team there.
Pros
hours are good and flexable
Cons
no annual reviews not enough hours offered for the work they want done
very fast paced
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 23, 2013
The store would have been great to work for if it wasent for the management. The manager wasent very involved in day to day work life. The co workers and customers were amazing. Hardest part of the job was having to run to different departments one minute you would be running a register and the next you would be making pizza or sub sandwiches. My most enjoyable part of the job was being able to use my skills. I took American Sign Language as my foreign language in high school and there were a couple def customers that would come in and I could talk to them without them having to write everything down.
POOR
CSS- cashier (Former Employee) –  Whitinsville, MAAugust 27, 2014
The job start off okay then in a short time I realized its not a true company. Its basically drama and gossip and management does not care about employees or safety basically everything was a joke. As long as the manager didn't really have to come in and the Asst. Manager didn't have to cover any shift they didn't care what happened.
With the experience that I have in retail I figured pay would be better but nope I was treated like a kid right out of high school. Its really said because I thought Hess Corporation was going to be a good company to work for.
Hess is in flux right now
Senior Market Strategist (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJApril 29, 2013
Hess Corporate is caving under the pressure of a Hedge Fund and is divesting the NJ Operations group (Terminals, Retail (gas stations) and Energy Marketing). Was a great place to work. Was being the operative word. Looking to sell the three units to 3rd party. People are in "wait and see" mode, but very options seems like Hess is for "lifers" like it once was. Sad day indeed (I wanted to be a "lifer").
Pros
pension, 401k match (8% on 6%)
Cons
divesting nj operations, slow to grow into management / director role
JOB IS EASY MANAGEMENT IS HORRIBLE
Procure to Pay (Current Employee) –  Houston, TexasNovember 19, 2014
I have been a contractor at Hess for about a year and the work is very easy, however the supervision and management are horrible. There is no communication and lots of unfair treatment. There is a lot of drama and people who are in position to stop the drama are the ones stirring it up. Would not suggest a long term career at Hess unless you enjoy daily cat fights. This company grew very fast and the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. I will be glad when my contract is over.
Pros
easy work
Cons
management
productive and fun work place
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAApril 1, 2013
A typical day at work starts with me checking my product for my shift. I like to make sure all product is stock to ensure that I will have every thing I need for my customer. I also like to make sure the store looks nice. I check trash and windows and make sure the parking lot is clean and swept. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing what my regular customers want and having it ready when they come to the counter.
Pros
working with enjoyable co workers and having a great relationship with my manager
Cons
working alone on my shift
Good benefits, politics prevail, abuse of employees
Senior Geological Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 30, 2015
Company is in a constant state of re-organization. Lack of preparation of well forseen projects by the poor management there causes employees to have to work long hours and miss the target for the project. Politics and favorites are a definite part of the work climate in many teams. Management finds one person to pin all of their failures on in order to stay on top. Sexism, discrimination, and illegal practices are alive and well in the company.
Pros
$6 all you can eat lunch, 1:1.3 matching 401K, pension, good benefits
Hess atmosphere
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Margate, FLMarch 6, 2014
My experience at Hess was not the best but it was not the worst; but, I have gained knowledge of how to manage the store at all levels. However, they can never be satisfied, and have me working under constant pressure. Meanwhile, my co-workers provided support and a family environment to help me through the days. The hardest part of the job was meeting inventory quota. Most enjoyable part of the job was creating the upmost customer service and seeing the smiles on many faces on a daily basis.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
health insurance and no breaks
Secure company with opportunities for advancement
Geological Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 15, 2013
As a geological technician in an exploration team at Hess no day is the same. The needs of the team change with the development of the project, so duties also change as the team members request different information and support. Everyone in the team is respectful and professional. The hardest part of the job is meeting deadlines that can sometimes come on the same day of the request. The most enjoyable part of the job is not having to perform the same tasks everyday and learning the different parts of the business as the needs of the project require different approaches.
Pros
competitive salary. every other friday off due to 9/80 work schedule
Fun and enjoyable
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Masaryktown, FLDecember 16, 2014
I absolutely loved working for this owner. She treated everyone like family. The residents that I took care of can be a little demanding but overall very sweet people. The hardest part of the job, was when we lost residents from passing away. The most enjoyable was the excitement you would bring them from the simple things in life. For instance, birthdays, holidays, or even just because you went shopping and seen something that they just might like.
Pros
residents, management...etc
Cons
the deaths of patients
I only performed attestation functions; much of my time was spent at client locations.
Audit Manager (Former Employee) –  Beckley, WVDecember 1, 2013
Arrived at work, planned the week/month, scheduled clients; had management cancel the appointments and replace them with higher paying clients.
The hardest part of the job was making promises to my clients, which after management rearranged my schedule, I was unable to keep and traveling overnight roughly 3 months a year.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new clients, developing professional relationships, and guiding the client through the attestation process.
Pros
building productive relationships with clients and colleagues
Cons
frequent out of town travel
A friendly evrionment to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 26, 2015
I enjoyed working for company and meeting new people everyday. The customer were always friendly and outgoing. I learned a lot of names because some of them would come in the store 4 or 5 times a week. The atmosphere was always pleasant. I enjoyed working with my co-workers and it was always a fun and exciting day. The most enjoyable part was putting smiles on their faces everyday. The hardest part was not having a full staff all the time.
Pros
meeting new people everyday
Cons
short breaks
Productive and fast paced work environment.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Tewksbury, MAMarch 4, 2013
Order stock for the shelves and cooler, Help customers find what they need, paperwork and previous days totals in the computer. I have learned very good customer service skills. The hardest part of the job is telling a customer we do not carry an item. The most enjoyable part of the day is to see customers that come in all the time and have a conversation with them and see how they are doing.
Pros
friendly customers.
Cons
when a customer is not satisfied.