Hess Corporation Employee Reviews

Fun and friendly workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bainbridge, NYAugust 17, 2015
A typical day at work was a fun time in itself, the staff was very friendly for the most part, and everyone was so remarkably considerate to new workers. I got very nice hands on training, and learned a lot from the job. The hardest part of the job was when it was a holiday weekend, and there were a over amount of tasks to be done, but there wasn't as many people.
Pros
Lunch breaks long, friendly staff
Cons
Sometimes the friendliness of the management went away
A place to meet people
Service/Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Scarsdale, NYFebruary 27, 2015
Hess is very well known company distributed throughout the USA in serving the population with motor vehicle gas.
At Hess employees may work in groups or individually per shift. the working environment is sometimes conducive but most of the time under the pressure of supervisors who really doesn't know what being a supervisor is.
In Hess stations, motor vehicle parts, oils, and few grocery or food, such as snacks may be sold.
working with people
Gas Station Attention (Current Employee) –  Bayville, NYApril 14, 2015
A regular day of work would be clocking in and getting right to business, everyday brought something new to the table, my knowledge and help better learn and understand things i didnt know off. YES there is hard days but it helps pressure me into knowing that i can have bad and good days and cope with them.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
not bein told thank you and knowledge on my work.
Good pay, work is chaotic
Engineer (Current Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 23, 2016
Navigating your way through slightly organized chaos.
Minimal standards
Meetings piled onto meetings all week long, all month long
Business plans and personnel objectives that reasonably would take 5 years to complete are handed down to employees to finish in 1 year.
Priorities change almost daily, certainly weekly
Leaders don't seek to understand--they direct more than they should
Minimal technical mentoring and coaching
Pros
Pay
Cons
Chaotic environment
Highly productive and fun place to work
Oil Pricing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJ 07095December 6, 2014
A typical day at work always kept you busy and resolving new issues that came up
Learned many things including, SAP, Cognos, Macros, how to reconcile various accounts and also how to provide support to other departments to get all issues resovled most effeciently
Pros
great productive motivating attitude, always keep you thinking about how to improve processes further
Cons
both outsourcing and divestiture lead to loss of both my positions
A+ satisfy
Gas Attendant (Former Employee) –  Pennsauken, NJFebruary 2, 2016
A typical Day for me was hard work no play, I learned to work the cashier. Management enjoyed having me there. Co-worker if we got along great if not there was never an issue .. My job ot done.!! The Hardest part of the job was working in the snow. But I must admit I enjoyed helping customer if they had a problem with there car. and meeting new people
Pros
location
Cons
worked every holiday
Great place to work, lots of good people and always evolving with new challenges.
Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Minot, NDDecember 18, 2015
Typical day at work, very busy and long days. Learned how to manage my time to be efficient and valuable in a fast pace environment. Management and co-workers are great. The hardest part of the job is being away from family for weeks at a time and 14 to 16 hour work days. The most enjoyable part of the job is being off work for two weeks at a time.
Pros
Two weeks on and two weeks off.
Cons
Very long work days and no benefits.
Interesting and challenging projects in a fast paced environment, high visibility to senior leadership
Treasury Manager, Capital Markets (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 25, 2015
Hess announced its initiatives to transform into a pure play Exploration and Production company. Transformation plan include fully exiting several businesses, sale of mature international assets, pursuit of a monetization of its midstream assets, share repurchase program, and increase in stock dividend. As such, there is no shortage of interesting and challenging work to help the company carry out its initiatives.
Serene atmosphere for "trading" knowledge
Drilling Engineer (Trainee) (Former Employee) –  TakoradiDecember 12, 2013
Monitored the progress of Well Operations
Participated in HSE meetings
Reviewed Drilling Programs & DDRs
Had an Excellent Rapport with Supervisors
Held a Presentation with the Drilling Team on every Friday, which was fun!
Found it challenging though, to learn a lot within a short space of time.
Pros
free breakfast & lunch; workers were easily "accessible" including supervisors
Cons
no accommodation, healthcare, incentives etc.
Fortune 100 company
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJJuly 30, 2013
Hess a Fortune™ 100 company, is a leading, global, independent, energy company that values their people as greatest assets and key players in providing exceptional services to customers.

I joined Hess in 2000 as software developer, implemented various challenging B2B projects as software developer to currently working as Team Leader. Learned lot about project management, people management and business processes by working with various business group and senior management.

Hess is fun place to work where you can find perfect work-life balance.
Professional and fun working environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, FLMay 21, 2013
A typical day at work involves interacting with customers, running the cash register, and maintaining the cleanliness of the store. I have learned a lot about customer service and also have some experience in leadership as I am a Senior Sales Associate. My coworkers are hard working yet fun and enjoyable to be around. The hardest part of the job is dealing with unhappy customers and the most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the satisfaction on customers faces as they
leave the store.
Great place to work if you have no customer service with the right manger.
Sr Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Norwich, NYMarch 31, 2013
I worked for 9 different managers in 9 years. We generally were a "big" family. Both stores worked as one most of time. The last manager did nothing to promote the "family" experience. I learned many different aspects of Hess and the gas station business.
Pros
under the right management, great company.
Cons
no discount or freebies, no lunch breaks
Secure, stable and dependable income
Institutional Cook (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 2, 2015
A typical work day starts at 5 am to open the kitchen, with the morning hours preparing scratch made meals for our guests and VIPs. 11 am is the start of our two hour lunch service in which we go from cooks to servers. 1 pm to 2:30 pm is clean up and close the kitchen
Pros
No weekend
Cons
No promotions, no leadership opp, too routine...
Interesting workplace with excellent coworkers
Cost Control/Project Services Technician (Former Employee) –  Minot, NDApril 23, 2015
My job required me to manage many special projects and provide updates on a daily basis. I learned how to use SAP and Microsoft Access and enjoyed my coworkers. The most difficult part of my job was not having enough work to do, resulting in a lot of unproductive time. The most enjoyable part was learning how to use new databases and my coworkers.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Not enough work, lack of overall department organization
Down to earth coworkers and great customers, with a perfect location.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 4, 2015
Overall it was a really nice environment provided by the colleagues I had. The compensation was minimal though. Its a very upbeat fast pace setting. I fine tuned my agility & accuracy to assist multiple customers quickly and to satisfaction. My managers were for the most part pretty understanding women.
Pros
wonderful customers & competitive hours.
Cons
horrible pay grade.
Very good place to start
Gas Attendant (Current Employee) –  newark NJMay 4, 2014
I worked alongside coworkers who were at least 20 years my senior and they were all great men. Management was cool to deal with because they didn't come outside too often. Lots of on your feet, on the move action all day. The hardest part was dealing with rude customers and the best was talking with the ordinary people with extraordinary stories.
Pros
free soda
Cons
no breaks
Educational and Productive place to work
Technical Adminstrator/Well Factory Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Minot NDOctober 16, 2015
Apply the appropriate programs including Duet, SAP, and Spreadsheets to Reconcile/Audit Cost Controls for Well Factory Pipeline.
Reconciled invoices, researched and authorized invoices.
Utilized SAP, Documentum, SharePoint, Microsoft Outlook, Adobe Pro and Excel
Everyone was enjoyable and worked very well as a team.
Pros
team centric I enjoyed everything that was being taught to me
Cons
not enough time in the day
Hess Oil Refinery culture was different to say the least.
Bid Console Operator (Former Employee) –  Port Reading, NJNovember 18, 2013
The closure of the Hess Port Reading put the operations dept. out of work. I was employed for 27 years until the closure this year 2013. Hess Port Reading lost quite a bit of talent in the business.

Benefits and pay were decent, but management was challenged in the day to day operations of the facility. Every day was a new day.
Pros
hess loved to feed you. alot of famous daves
Cons
poor management.
Very bad place to work. Management needs a new profession
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wauchula, FLJune 18, 2012
The customers are fairly easy to work with, but the MANAGEMENT in the Wauchula , Fl. area needs a new profession. He disrespects his employees with his RUDE mouth and RUDE comments. The pay isnt enough to deal with his mouth is exactly what I told him.

If you like a smart elic for an employer, then you'll enjoy this job.
Pros
customers are very nice
Cons
management is rude and has a very bad mouth
A productive, happy enviorment but poor pay.
Cashier/Stock (Former Employee) –  summerville, SCDecember 29, 2014
I stocked shelves, ran the register, and did maintenance outside. I learned to run a register, which is a new skill for me. My co-workers and I all got along. The hardest part was dealing with angry customers, but I always kept calm. I enjoyed working in general and learning new things. I just wish the pay was hirer.
Pros
they taught me new things.
Cons
poor pay and dealing with angry customers