Hi-Tec Building Services Employee Reviews

work place
Sub Custodian (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 1, 2017
they don't care. they work you very hard for little pay. they say you have to follow all rules but when you do they sometime yell at you because you follow rules that get them in trouble.
Pros
non
Cons
work to hard
a great job for getting in shape if you are a hard worker
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Jenison, MIFebruary 9, 2017
I learned allot as far as what to do and how to do it all on my own. never was allowed to advance no matter how well i did or how hard i worked. the staff of the company your working for is always nice and helpful when needed. all you can to make it look good.
Pros
experience/workout
Cons
low pay
Always busy. Every major holidays and weekends off
Janitor (Current Employee) –  West Branch, MISeptember 5, 2016
You work alone except during summer. Management sucks and are constantly changing and make up rules and guidelines as they go. There is no good benefits, no 401ks, no retirements and no holiday pay unless you use your PTO days. You're lucky if you get pay raise that sticks for 2 months. Management will tell you that you can advance in the company but you don't. Pay checks are semi monthly, usually the 5th and the 21st of the month, unless one of those days are on a holiday then you would have to wait till the following day. Some mangement will try to sabotage you. (seen it happen with a coworker of mine)
The machines you would need to use for the summer breaks down a lot and you dont always have the products you will need to do your job. My coworkers and I would buy cleaning rags and gloves whenever we would run out and no, we don't get reimburse for it. Your title as a supervisor does not mean anything! Management will always cause drama and don't tell them about you're personal problems because they will tell everyone.
The hours varies depending on what position you get but you'll start at 3:30pm. In the summer you'll work in the mornings. This company is very picky about the times! Dont clock in/out a minute late or they'll get on you about it. You get one break and they are either 21 minutes or 30 minutes as long you work 7 hours or more.

The nice things about this job are the coworkers, they are the only reason why I still work for this company. You also have every weekend off and major holidays off as well which is always nice.
Pros
Coworkers, major holidays & every weekends off
Cons
No benefits, no holiday pay, no raises
Work alone
Costodian/Janitorial team member (Former Employee) –  Jenison, MIFebruary 13, 2016
Must be there or your area will not be clean.
My boss is fun and friendly but the higher management are not there to care for the employee.
No holiday treats or pay.
No one there to work with you.
Pros
can come anytime after school hours.
Cons
no benefits
Productive.
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Jenison, MIJanuary 2, 2016
Cleaning the Welcome Center (Rest Area). Clean rest rooms toilets, urinals, sinks, mirrors, restock toilet paper, soap, dusted. washed walls. Removed trash from inside the building and outside. Cleans entrance way and information center. Which needed vacuuming. Also break room and outside. Washed windows dusted around from and back entrance. cleaned parking lots. Removed snow.
Best job Ever
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Jenison, MINovember 2, 2015
The job I did was custodial work in the local school the one that i graduated from. I got to see and speak with many new and old acquaintances.
Cleaning the place was easy most of the time and only hard with dances and games. Would love to work for a good school again.
Pros
great conversations and learning something new
Cons
had to work evenings
Little more than a job to pay the bills
Special Services (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJune 21, 2015
I would drive 1 to 4 hours to my job site and work the rest of the day, sometimes the following day, by myself completing the task at hand. I.E. stripping and waxing, carpet extraction, window cleaning, etc. I would then drive back to the office to store the work van.
A difficult job.
Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo, MIMay 17, 2015
This job was difficult in that I was on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It was easy to burn out due to constantly feeling like you were working. Many of the other managers felt the same way and though this was discussed with the owner of the company, he did not agree nor understand. I enjoyed working with my employees and direct supervisors and overall enjoyed the job.
Pros
Great direct manager and get to set own daily work route.
Cons
Many unpaid work hours due to constantly being on-call.
Quiet work place slow day
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Jenison, MIMarch 22, 2015
Come in to work prep my kart for the day, check my rooms,
remove trash from all my rooms also clean them. when I finish with my rooms than I prep my kart for the next day.
Pros
A pay check
Cons
paid twice a month, no benefits, low wage, no vacations
The people that you meet.
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Jenison, MISeptember 1, 2014
Worked at the Michigan Welcome Center rest area. Clean Men and women rest rooms toilets, commodes, mirrors, refill soap, paper towels, wash sinks counters, dust walls the stalls and the ceilings, Sweep and mop. Clean lights fixtures, sweep and mop the hallways and entrance ways, empty trash dust walls and pictures. Dust, vacuum the information room and wipe down display cases. Outside empty trash and keep parking lot cleaned.
Enjoyed the management and got along great with co-workers. Hardest part of the job is pushing the cart with trash to dumpster and bringing up supplies. I enjoyed the people that would stop by and the co-workers
Pros
Its not a hard job to do
Cons
Can get pretty messy and not many hours
You would never know what work would be like from one day to the next
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Jenison, MIAugust 11, 2014
I worked for Hi-Tec for 7 years. In those 7 years I learned some valuable lessons. During my 7 years I worked with many people some who stayed a couple years and some who stayed a couple months. My co-workers new they could come to me if they had any questions. My workload included cleaning high school bathrooms, high school classrooms, set up for events, spot check walls, wash glass, mop, sweep, high-low dusting, empty trash, spot check desks, vacuum entrances and classrooms, scrub hallways with floor machine. My co-workers were great. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the teachers and some of the students.
it is a nice place to work
jantior (Former Employee) –  Jenison, MIJuly 22, 2014
get to work and start cleaning right away was on a time limit of how long you could be there
Cons
short hours
poor pay,no room for advancement,get yelled at by superiors
custodian (Current Employee) –  MichiganFebruary 3, 2014
I work at a charter school in Michigan. I work a five
hour shift with no breaks and clocking out and still working,
so I can get all my tasks done. They offer no extra pay after
90 days but extra work. The head custodian would reprimand
me and other workers constantly ,and we wished to work
somewhere else. The crew leader would pretend to befriend
the custodians but tattle to administation on workers. It
is a horrible place to work.
Pros
nice coworkers
Cons
bad pay, no advancement, get reprimanded too much
Ehh not enjoyable
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Jenison, MIOctober 29, 2013
Get to work, clock in, typically have to track down supplies in order to start your job,
unprofessional
Janitorial Worker (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIJuly 27, 2013
A typical day at work would be cleaning four to five building in a row. This would include city buildings and MDOT buildings. We would take one to three hours per building depending on how many buildings in one area, how many floors in each building, etc. We would wipe, vacuum, dust, and change trashes in each building, dining room/ lunch area, kitchen, cubicle and bathroom. I learned that working for a business that has no rules can be fun because you can do as you please, such as wear what you want, bring food when needed, work as fast or slow as wanted, and say or do what you want (when no mangers present). When you are a janitor you normally do not have a manager leaning over your back but this can come with complications. If the buildings security or upper hand decide they feel you are not complying to their rules or way of cleaning, you can get in trouble because they are the employer and "what they say goes". The hardest part working or Hi-tech, was the fact that the management made rules as they went, meaning they did not follow proper procedures. We did not wear goggles nor gloves, but handled harsh chemicals and sprays, we were told we could wear shorts and sandals for a period of time (until the manager decided we could not- went back and forth a lot), depending on when management came and wore them, as well as, never had the right supplies and were penalized when the buildings upper hand complained because their buildings were not cleaned "properly". We never had the right keys or they did not work properly, especially the keys that were smart-swipe, and our mangers  more... worked/ lived one to two hours away therefore, could not get to them quickly nor could they get to us. The most enjoyable part was the fact that their were only three to four of us employees at one time. We worked at our own pace an got to bring food, listen to music, and wear shorts and sandals to work. It was enjoyable to not have too many rules to follow until management began to get into trouble for non-compliance and than turned it on their janitors (us) and used the rules against us (i.e. complained that we were not following regulations when told so, began firing employees, etc.)  less
Pros
Did not follow rules/ make own rules
Cons
no rules/ one-sided issues
Low respect for younger employees
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Jenison, MIApril 24, 2013
Not enough on the job training, Pay was nice, work thru summer heat
Pros
good pay and hours
Cons
disrespectful towards youth
....
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 9, 2012
I would go in and the supervisor would tell us what area of the school building each of us would be cleaning.
I always started with emptying trash and replacing the can liner.
Then go on about my duties such as dust mopping, vaccuming, etc.
I learned how to to THOROUGHLY clean restrooms.
Hardest part of the job was when my supervisor would give me TWO areas to clean in an 8 hour shift.
Most enjoyable part of the job was making the staff that worked in the school happy.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hi-Tec Building Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6