hibu Employee Reviews

Management that really cares
Business Development (Former Employee), Westchester, NYAugust 6, 2015
Pros: Fun environment, caring management
Cons: Long hours
I learned a lot working here at hibu. From basic marketing knowledge to in-depth digital marketing skills, hibu is big on education. Management also gets a big thumbs up for their caring approach to leadership.
Good place to work. Supportive and fun co-workers. Enjoyed my time working there. Enjoyed the interaction with potential customers.
Digital Media Specialist (Former Employee), Cedar Rapids, IAJuly 25, 2015
Pros: Great benefits, pay, and the co-workers
Cons: Cold call sales are very difficult
hibu is a great place to work. I enjoyed my time working there. The company has good compensation and bonus plans for people who are successful in the sales profession. The management was helpful with the training.
Always waiting for another change
Website Consultant (Current Employee), Cedar Rapids, IAJuly 20, 2015
Change can be good in an organization, but constant change creates chaos and an unhealthy atmosphere. The sales department runs the company and if you're not in sales, you're sort of second in line for everything.
Magazine
Freelance Photographer (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKJuly 5, 2015
This was a non paid freelance position. I enjoyed it very much but was disappointed when they closed the hyperlocal magazines.
Good People, Poor Standards
Collector I (Former Employee), King of Prussia, PAJune 16, 2015
Pros: Ample time off
Cons: competitive environment, quantitative standards
The position is inherently difficult, but too much emphasis was placed on factors that were outside of our control. If we happened to get a heavily aged queue for the month, cash collected would suffer. Management often actively discouraged collectors from posting out of the department. The floor was competitive, and at times was encouraged to be so to the detriment of the team environment. Not enough time was given to complete the clerical tasks that were expected of us. Departments did not always communicate appropriately and this often involved in work needing to be re-done twice or more times.
You can make money here and it is a career!
Client Services Account Manager- New Business (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 7, 2015
Pros: Great products, Free classes, Great compensation
Cons: Quotas, Management
Selling multiple products to existing and new clients. Hibu was a good place to work for many years. Heavy quotas were instilled with requirements that were hard to achieve.The hardest part was to make the website quota.I loved my friends at Hibu.That is what I miss the most.
Work-life balance atmosphere
Business Development Representative (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCMay 18, 2015
I am in charge of making my own scheduled, managing production and customers. I have learned had to work under pressure, justify ROI, and be a team leader. I love my manager and co-workers. The hardest part of the job are fixing production mistakes. I love my freedom and making my own ours with HIBU
Productive fun to work
Account Manager (Former Employee), Waco, TXApril 30, 2015
Meeting people everyday , developing relationships with current and existing customers. Managing accounts, hard working management. Co-workers getting along with everyone. enjoying getting out and networking with people.
N/A
Account Executive (Current Employee), Silver Spring, MDApril 27, 2015
do you like a challenge, this is most definitely the job for you. meet new people and new businesses everyday and build new lasting connections.
Sell No Matter if It Can't Be Serviced
Marketing Consultant (Former Employee), King of Prussia, PAApril 9, 2015
Pros: Great Sales Training
Cons: Very Poor Customer Service
They cannot fulfill the orders reps sold.
When clients would cancel due to poor service, the reps lost their commissions.
Sales reps have to spend time saving clients from poor customer service in order to save their own commission and reputation.
Company that went under for a very good reason.
Web Editor (Former Employee), King of Prussia, PAApril 1, 2015
Pros: Paid me extremely well.
Cons: We were lied to about how long the company would be in business, overall a terrible place to work.
Poor management, harsh supervision, and no guidance makes hibu one of the worst places I've ever worked. I drove about two hours round-trip to be told there was little to no work. I was laid off with an impressive severance package - the best thing to come out of the job.
Productive and fun work environment
Web Consultant Specialist (Current Employee), Cedar Rapids, IAMarch 30, 2015
Consult with clients and gather information necessary to build a web presence. There are different shifts from early morning to afternoon to suit your lifestyle. All of my co-workers are fun and helpful. Everyone helps each other out.
Great place to work good. Income reflects effort.
District Sales Manager (Former Employee), Tigard, ORMarch 11, 2015
I worked here for nearly 13 years. I would go back. The culture was a ton of fun. I learned a ton about lots of different industries. The tools provided to the sales team are the best I've ever had. Life work balance was difficult for me, but then I was an over achiever.
Not sure who they are going to be
Business Development Rep (Current Employee), Oklahoma City, OKMarch 4, 2015
Changing company hasnt quite figured out what they are going to be. Great tools for selling provided, but support is limited
Very motivating manager, great bonus incentives, excellent benefits
Media Consultant (Current Employee), Spokane, WAMarch 3, 2015
Pros: bonus opportunities are endless!
Cons: very hard work and persistence
My typical day currently- I try to get to at least 15 new doors a day. Generally, I should have about 2 appointments. I am a network marketer and belong to a few groups. Each week I have at least 2 group meetings I attend.

I learn something new everyday! I love the co-workers I have left, including the manager- She is awesome!

The hardest part of the job is you have to rebuild the wheel every month. It's all about NEW business consistently. Also, there's some things completely out of control when it comes to the website building or campaign managing. This causes problems and cancellations you can do nothing about.

The most enjoyable part of the job is what we are capable of doing for a business to make them profitable and successful without spending an absorbent amount of money.
Overall positive experience with some drawbacks
Web Content Writer (Former Employee), Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: fairly flexible pto policy, excellent benefits, positive, diverse culture.
Cons: corporate ignorance of daily operations, lots of turnover at the upper echelons, tendency to favor sales over all other departments.
Excellent, supportive supervisors. Tendency of upper management towards overall ignorance regarding the daily goings-on and to prioritize profits over all. Not bad culture-wise, even if sales gets all the perks and incentives. Diversity and creativity are valued. Layoffs do happen. Pay just OK.
To be a leader and stay strong in an industry, you must market and brand to stand out!
Outside Sales (Former Employee), Montana, Idaho, WashingtonFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule, travel, use my creativity and knowledge of marketing
Cons: poor management, inconsistent results of production at our graphic head office
As a Hibu sales rep, there are multi facets of on-line education in digital marketing, as well as having basic graphic arts experience, researching your client and their competition to create an effective campaign is imperative to success. Effectively assisted each client in creating a budget campaign that would benefit them the most. Scheduled webinars with corporate graphic designers to create design hands on, giving input and direction. Monitored clients campaign results and made adjustments as needed, depending on the high or low times of the business year, or the market wave. Managed an efficient travel route and flow to visit all of my clients and prospective clients in 3 states. Was top print retention sales person out of 11. CRM records and completing daily and weekly sales reports and web mtgs multiple times a week were part of our regiment. Memorizing multiple sales codes and variations in products was key in presenting a package to each client. Client preparation was extensive and very accurate. I loved my clients, my team and my manager. The down fall was that my manager was demoted and the new manager was a horrible leader.
Great Place to work - too bad they had cutbacks
Oracle, SQL Server, Netezza DBA (Former Employee), King of Prussia, PAFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: only had to come in a couple times a week
Cons: company downsizing
I had a pleasure working with an excellent team. Immediate management was excellent, Too much change at the executive level.
Account Manager
ACCOUNT MANAGER /DIGITAL MEDIA SALES (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: good earning potential.
Cons: long hours, ineffective training, unrealistic sales goals, high-pressure management
Working from home, tenured account managers are responsible for 150 - 200 clients who have contracted either Yellow Book or Hibu for advertising services. The account manager runs their own business with corporate sales and retention goals in a nearly autonomous environment.

To be successful, an AM must schedule eight to 12 appointments with existing accounts and four or five new client meetings per week. The AM must close four or five existing clients for another year every week and retain 80% of the previous year's dollar volume. But, the AM must also increase their overall sales dollar volume by at least 10%. To increase sales, the successful AM needs to secure at least nine new accounts per quarter for advertising services and meet the required dollar volume. AMs must sell at least twelve business websites per quarter. The company supplies commercially generated sales leads, but AMs must cold-call, network, and seek referrals to find enough prospects. Finding new prospects is one of the hardest part of the job. AMs are responsible to design and provide text and graphics for the new websites. This is very challenging and time-consuming. It can be frustrating with the sales and technical support based in India and the Philippines.

Building relationships with clients is the most satisfying part of the job. Hibu offers products that can produce a good ROI when sold and designed effectively. The AM is responsible to design, budget, and sell the appropriate mix of products to each client. Satisfied clients can provide great feedback and give the AM a sense of accomplishment. – more...

The most enjoyable part of this job can be building mutually-supportive relationships with one's peers. Being successful requires being supported by your peers and supporting them in return. Managers are stretched very thin, and generally not well-versed in the constantly changing product line-up. Managers are sales-drivers, who must enforce unattainable sales goals. Some recommend questionable sales tactics in misguided attempts to meet goals. Nobody meets them all, there are too many metrics, some of them conflicting. So, nearly all AMs are always performing below expectations. Most AMs will not last, much less be successful, without supportive peer relationships. There is very high turnover among sales and first line management. The pressure for new sales is indescribable. Unfortunately, high turnover precludes most peer relationships from being long-term. I saw sixteen Account Managers and three Assistant Sales Managers fired for not meeting expectations in a twelve-person sales office in 2 years. – less
No rewards for hard work
Outside Sales Executive (Former Employee), Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: good experience for new sales people
Cons: pay, no reimbursemnts for travel (car expsenses), bad work/life balance
I worked for this company years ago, then came back. In comparison, they used to a good job in the industry. Now they do a lot of things, just not very well. We had to sell many products, on a one call sale and close. Ridiculous. Many customers did not even understand the products that they were being forced to purchase.

I was told no overnight travel. Not the case. I put in many 18 hour days to get to may markets, as I had responsibilities at home.