hibu

hibu Employer Reviews

Overall positive experience with some drawbacks
Web Content Writer (Former Employee), Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: fairly flexible pto policy, excellent benefits, positive, diverse culture.
Cons: corporate ignorance of daily operations, lots of turnover at the upper echelons, tendency to favor sales over all other departments.
Excellent, supportive supervisors. Tendency of upper management towards overall ignorance regarding the daily goings-on and to prioritize profits over all. Not bad culture-wise, even if sales gets all the perks and incentives. Diversity and creativity are valued. Layoffs do happen. Pay just OK.
To be a leader and stay strong in an industry, you must market and brand to stand out!
Outside Sales (Former Employee), Montana, Idaho, WashingtonFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule, travel, use my creativity and knowledge of marketing
Cons: poor management, inconsistent results of production at our graphic head office
As a Hibu sales rep, there are multi facets of on-line education in digital marketing, as well as having basic graphic arts experience, researching your client and their competition to create an effective campaign is imperative to success. Effectively assisted each client in creating a budget campaign that would benefit them the most. Scheduled webinars with corporate graphic designers to create design hands on, giving input and direction. Monitored clients campaign results and made adjustments as needed, depending on the high or low times of the business year, or the market wave. Managed an efficient travel route and flow to visit all of my clients and prospective clients in 3 states. Was top print retention sales person out of 11. CRM records and completing daily and weekly sales reports and web mtgs multiple times a week were part of our regiment. Memorizing multiple sales codes and variations in products was key in presenting a package to each client. Client preparation was extensive and very accurate. I loved my clients, my team and my manager. The down fall was that my manager was demoted and the new manager was a horrible leader.
Great Place to work - too bad they had cutbacks
Oracle, SQL Server, Netezza DBA (Former Employee), King of Prussia, PAFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: only had to come in a couple times a week
Cons: company downsizing
I had a pleasure working with an excellent team. Immediate management was excellent, Too much change at the executive level.
Account Manager
ACCOUNT MANAGER /DIGITAL MEDIA SALES (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: good earning potential.
Cons: long hours, ineffective training, unrealistic sales goals, high-pressure management
Working from home, tenured account managers are responsible for 150 - 200 clients who have contracted either Yellow Book or Hibu for advertising services. The account manager runs their own business with corporate sales and retention goals in a nearly autonomous environment.

To be successful, an AM must schedule eight to 12 appointments with existing accounts and four or five new client meetings per week. The AM must close four or five existing clients for another year every week and retain 80% of the previous year's dollar volume. But, the AM must also increase their overall sales dollar volume by at least 10%. To increase sales, the successful AM needs to secure at least nine new accounts per quarter for advertising services and meet the required dollar volume. AMs must sell at least twelve business websites per quarter. The company supplies commercially generated sales leads, but AMs must cold-call, network, and seek referrals to find enough prospects. Finding new prospects is one of the hardest part of the job. AMs are responsible to design and provide text and graphics for the new websites. This is very challenging and time-consuming. It can be frustrating with the sales and technical support based in India and the Philippines.

Building relationships with clients is the most satisfying part of the job. Hibu offers products that can produce a good ROI when sold and designed effectively. The AM is responsible to design, budget, and sell the appropriate mix of products to each client. Satisfied clients can provide great feedback and give the AM a sense of accomplishment. – more...

The most enjoyable part of this job can be building mutually-supportive relationships with one's peers. Being successful requires being supported by your peers and supporting them in return. Managers are stretched very thin, and generally not well-versed in the constantly changing product line-up. Managers are sales-drivers, who must enforce unattainable sales goals. Some recommend questionable sales tactics in misguided attempts to meet goals. Nobody meets them all, there are too many metrics, some of them conflicting. So, nearly all AMs are always performing below expectations. Most AMs will not last, much less be successful, without supportive peer relationships. There is very high turnover among sales and first line management. The pressure for new sales is indescribable. Unfortunately, high turnover precludes most peer relationships from being long-term. I saw sixteen Account Managers and three Assistant Sales Managers fired for not meeting expectations in a twelve-person sales office in 2 years. – less
No rewards for hard work
Outside Sales Executive (Former Employee), Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: good experience for new sales people
Cons: pay, no reimbursemnts for travel (car expsenses), bad work/life balance
I worked for this company years ago, then came back. In comparison, they used to a good job in the industry. Now they do a lot of things, just not very well. We had to sell many products, on a one call sale and close. Ridiculous. Many customers did not even understand the products that they were being forced to purchase.

I was told no overnight travel. Not the case. I put in many 18 hour days to get to may markets, as I had responsibilities at home.
Challenging Sales Environment
AM - Senior Account Executive (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: rapidly changing environment; flexibility; great co-workers; work from home, ongoing training
Cons: outsourcing operations outside u.s.; "right-sizing" has created a sense of instability
A typical day in the life of an Account Executive involves contacting clients by email/phone, scheduling appointments, resolving customer service issues, revising websites, monitoring online campaigns, prospecting, preparing for the sales call, closing the sale, and submitting paperwork. There is never a dull moment and always something new to learn. The company offers excellent ongoing training. The best part of this job though is finding out that you have made a difference in the life and/or financial success of a client. I have developed long-term business relationships with some amazing business owners and managers that I look forward to visiting each campaign. Working virtually, there is less face-time and contact with team members, colleagues and managers, which has its pros and cons. Love and miss working with many great U.S. employees who have been replaced with overseas representatives. This has created some unexpected challenges in communication and workflow we are learning to adjust to and accept. The company is doing it's best to replace print revenue losses with digital solutions. It seems that volume has become increasingly more important than quality, so it is up to the rep to balance both and act as a liaison between the client and company to manage expectations and satisfy customer needs.
once great company, going down hill for past few years
sales manager, sales rep (Former Employee), alabamaJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: met some amazing people and mentors
Cons: poor leadership, dysfunctional
I worked they for over 14 years, multiple awards, promotions etc. I walked way a few years ago because of poor decisions and sales reps were and still are looked at as a "number". Here's a few examples of some real things that happened right before I walked.1) In a digital age, they were rolling out door hangers (true story) as a new product. 2) changed the name from a national brand to "Hibu", and spent next to nothing on marketing the name. An advertising company, that doesn't advertise they new name, brilliant. 3) Oh, let's hold reps accountable for giving away free ads, yes quotas were set and jobs were on the line for reps to give away free stuff. Just Google Hibu. Anything positive said online was generated by current employees that were instructed to do so. 99% of the people that made the company great are gone. so few reps left. Upper management, Congratulations, you ran this place in the ground.
Once a month work activites
Business Development Consultant (Former Employee), Fort Worth TexasJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: outside sales, manage break times
Cons: great health plans
Great place to work with team growth..it was always a team effort to reach our objective each month..
My time at hibu has been an enjoyable and valuable learning experience.
Investigations and Resolutions Representative (Current Employee), Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: the opportunity to assist small and medium business owners with their marketing needs.
Cons: their poor training leaves one entirely unprepared for the actual job responsibilities.
I enjoy arriving at work early enough to greet my co-workers, start up my PC and launch all relevant programs(Outlook, Excel, Word, Internet Explorer, etc..) Throughout the day I am always prepared to take incoming calls and handle whatever concern the individual on the other side of the phone presents me. Whether it be a customer with a claim concern or a sales representative who needs assistance in deciphering their customers' monthly billing. Often, I am required to communicate with individuals in other departments to determine the cause of an error that a customer may report.

Mainly, I have learned how to quickly adapt to changes. hibu is a company that has undergone significant changes in my time there. I have improved my communication and people skills simply by interacting with such a wide variety of individuals displaying a wide variety of dispositions from very friendly and agreeable to very agitated customers who feel (right or wrong) that they have been misled, stolen from or simply misrepresented in their advertising.

Management is generally available to lend a hand if necessary. As previously mentioned, hibu is currently in a state of transition and the management structure has changed significantly since I began my employment there. Given this, I feel it would be inappropriate to judge or evaluate the management team at hibu.

The hardest part of the job -for me- is when I am genuinely attempting to assist a customer and the customer will not provide with the materials(emails between sales and customers, medical records, bills of sale, etc..) that I require. The amount of frustration that I experience when I am unable to assist a customer with a legitimate concern is significant.

On the other hand, when i can genuinely help a customer, very little pleases me greater than the feeling of a job well done.
Summary
Client Service Media Consultant (Former Employee), Madison WI & Scottsdale AZJanuary 12, 2015
Sinking ship.
Used to be a good stable company until restructure
was implemented in February of 2014.
Wisconsin structure was stable.
Phoenix market, much higher competition.
Reorganization constantly changing and taking place.
No stability, "fear of loss" on a daily basis.
Fun Place to Work offering Great Home and Work Life Balance
Digital Media Consultant (Current Employee), Orlando, FLJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: reinventing themselves
Cons: financial transition of the company is brutal
Great training, great people, awesome company that really offers great benefits and compensation, bonuses and more. Just a brutal time as they transition from a print company to a digital company. Job security is an uncertainty with all the new demands and customer service is suffering in light of it all. Adding additional pressure to the sales staff....operations are being outsourced overseas. I wish them the best and I am grateful for the training and the relationships I benefited from professionally.
hibu
New Business Development (Former Employee), PhiladelphiaDecember 7, 2014
Pros: you run your business as your own. hands off managers are the best!
Cons: back office having difficulty handling procesing orders and billing, customer service incompetence killed sales!
Hibu provides world class training and on-going training throughout the year. It feels like corporate gives you all the tools to succeed.

Management encouraged team comrade even though all the reps worked remote from their home offices. I appreciated minimizing unnecessary meetings so they were kept to webinars and phone calls.

You will thrive if you can work alone and are self motivated.
If you do your work and turn in results managers are hands off and I liked that.
Associate Manager - Customer Service
Associate Manager – Customer Service (Current Employee), Cedar Rapids, IANovember 21, 2014
Pros: working with many great people and friendly environment
Cons: job stability due to outsourcing
On a daily basis I am responsible for assuring my team has what they need to get their jobs done. Overall achievements are customer satisfaction when working with our production departments as well as accommodate the customers’ requests for advertising needs.
On a typical day I work with anywhere between 8 and 20 staff assuring questions are answered reports are completed daily and completing my daily duties as assigned. I manage staff quality and performance assuring the work is handled in a timely manner and resolve escalated calls as needed.
I enjoy working with my staff and co-managers on a daily basis. I adjust easy to each and every working style with the overall all goal of customer satisfaction and job performance to the best of my ability.
I have worked with hibu for 13+ years at this time with several department backgrounds as well as product knowledge including websites, yellow page advertising and functions of the systems and workflow.
A paycheck
Hibu/Yellow Book Client Services Consultant (Former Employee), Williamsport, PANovember 19, 2014
Cons: no plan
Management has it's reasons. I am moving on.
Leave home between 5am and 8 depending on the market being worked. Home between 3:30pm and 8.
I have been updated on the workings of the internet, constant diligence is required to stay up to date. My local manager was great, my co workers were awesome. The hardest part of the job was to sell the product and then have the back office screw things up. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to meet with the different business people and try and help them connect with their market place.
Great Coworkers, position is unstable.
Sales Liaison Coordinator (Current Employee), Cedar Rapids IANovember 10, 2014
I pull reports for all levels of upper managment and assist the managment team as needed.
Good Place to Start Out
Data Services Coordinator II, Listings & Wp (Current Employee), King of Prussia, PANovember 4, 2014
Hibu is a good place to start out but has issues with job security as well as advancing and coaching employees on career building.
productive and fun work place
Data Services Coordinator 2 (Current Employee), King of Prussia PA.October 28, 2014
Pros: fun activities
Cons: short breaks & healthcare
i love going to work everyday. i love working & helping others.
Dying industry, failing company
Regional Sales Representative (Former Employee), Springfield, MOOctober 16, 2014
Not enjoyable, long drive times and very little pay all things considered.
Churn and burn sales force
Business Development Rep (Former Employee), Kirkland, WAOctober 15, 2014
Pros: pay, benefits, management
Cons: customer service, quotas, cold calling
Decent company, good pay, good benefits. Completely unrealistic sales goals for the Seattle area. The Area Manager is great to work for and is there whenever you need. The hardest part of the job is the cold calling and quotas.

Hibu is not great at taking care of their customers. You never talk to the same person twice. Most of my clients have not continued with their services.
Fun place to work, but a sinking ship
Digital Media Specialist (Current Employee), Cedar Rapids, IAOctober 9, 2014
Pros: great people to work with
Cons: the company is on a downward spiral
Management picks favorites and the company is very mismanaged. They are trying to figure it out, but I think its a bit late. They had some good talent, but as they keep cutting pay and raising expectations, they are losing them faster than they can be replaced. Schedules are flexible, and it is very easy to earn extra time off.

1 2 3 4 5