HICKORY TRAIL HOSPITAL Employee Reviews in United States

Not a bad job, but terrible administration.
Technician (Former Employee) –  DeSoto, TXJune 14, 2016
The job itself is not as bad as it may seem. HTH being a mental/behavioral hospital, one should expect just that. It is great experience, especially when one builds great rapport with their patients. My co workers were awesome. The Administration has been the down fall for myself and my co-workers. The admin is very unorganized. The "needed to know information is never passed on as it should be. The job is very easy, but made complicated.
Pros
The relationship with co workers and patients.
Cons
The Administration
only work here if you plan on being undermined for any clinical decision you make
Psychsocial Assessment Clinician (Former Employee) –  DeSoto, txJune 10, 2015
constant phone ringing, triaging clients, walkins on protective custody. Management have minimal clinical experience. co works make the job somewhat easier.
Pros
staff becomes friends/family, helping the community
Cons
no security even for overnight staff, no breaks, horrible pay, unethical admissions
Committed staff and management who genuinely care for their clientele and employees
Director of Intake (Current Employee) –  DeSoto, TXJanuary 28, 2014
Working at Hickory Trail Hospital has been a wonderful experience in that both staff and leadership work hard for the best interest of their patients and are dedicated to ensuring the workplace is enjoyable and promotes professional growth and development. There is a very supportive work environment as well as a culture that fosters advancement. Teamwork is demonstrated throughtout the facility and there is a genuine concern for the satisfaction of both patients and employees alike. Best job I've had to date!
Pros
supportive work environment
Cons
bit of a drive
Poor leadership and patient care
Director of PI/Risk Management (Current Employee) –  DeSoto, TXAugust 19, 2012
A typical day at work is spent trying to get other leaders to hold their employees accountable for making the hospital a safe and pleasant place to work . The attitude among staff and most of the senior leaders is one of lazy, let someone else do it, let's find a scapegoat demeanor. Some of my co-workers are pleasant to work with and have a high work ethic but most are lazy and just do not care.
Pros
no weekend work, most of the time
Cons
poor leadership, backstabbing and fingerpointing employees, one big rumor mill
Hickory Trail
Lead Utilization Review Coordinator (Current Employee) –  DeSoto, TXJanuary 30, 2014
I have worked at Hickory Trail for several years. Although there has been many speed bumps along the way, change in management, etc. Yet, overall this is a very good place to work. With the new management team and new staff, Hickory Trail has great improved. with job satisfaction, patient satisfaction, and safety.

It is a wonderful place to work because it is a team atmosphere, management listens and staff are given the vehicles to express concerns as well as voice their opinoins. Additionally, staff are rewarded for service excellence.

The staff in this building are genuinely concerned about the patient and do everything they can to ensure a their experience at Hickory Trail is beneficial and healthy.
Pros
fast moving, teamwork, empathetic staff, managment listens
Safe and Supportive Place to get help
CEO (Current Employee) –  DeSoto, TXJanuary 13, 2014
Working at Hickory Trail is very rewarding. You get a chance to work with people that need help and that is a great legacy.

Everyday we learn from our achievements and our failures.

Management is very committed to trying to create a safer, more efficient environment to where patients get the tools they need to face whatever it is that brings them through our front doors.

We work to refine our programs and products so that it meets the various needs of the patients that come through our front doors.

It is difficult to provide services to inviduals that dont acknowledge needing help but for those that do want to get help and are committed to getting better there is no better reward.
Pros
helping people to get their lives back
Cons
having a great product means our customers never come back
Productive and supportive work environment with great staff, benefits, and feeling valued.
Director of Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Desoto, TXJanuary 28, 2014
Always busy, never a dull moment, great staff that are willing to go the extra mile to help each other and our patients succeed.
Pros
excellent support system from staff members.
Cons
always working towards a successful closure for patients and ways to keep morale up.
I loved working here.
Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  DeSoto, TXOctober 22, 2014
I would get to work and assess all my pts, Count narcotics. get report. We did admit paper work and every night we did chart audits on all pts. finger sticks administer meds .
Pros
the people i worked with
Cons
pay
Committed to helping others
Director of Clinical Services (Current Employee) –  DeSoto, TXFebruary 13, 2014
My employment at Hickory Trail Hopital started a little over a year ago. The one thing that impacted me the most was the attitude each employee had to help the patient.
The managment listens to the ideas of the staff and strive to implement those ideas to best serve its patients. Hickory Trail has added tools and training to help its employees help the patients we serve. The staff continues to strive for excellance in their ability to help others. In every aspect from techs, nurses, therapist and business office they continue to impvove in their service to the patient.

I have personally been blessed by the oppourtinities to assist others experiencing mental health issues.
Every employee adds to the mission of helping others in need.

I enjoy seeing a person improve and begin their healthy trail to a more fuilfilling life. To know that I had a part in their improvement.
Pros
fellow employes, the family like attitude, and the opportunity to help others
Cons
seeing individuals in need
Therapist
Therapist (Current Employee) –  DeSoto, TXJanuary 14, 2014
I have seen a lot of improvements since I have started working at HTH. They are working on making it a better place to work. The pay is not the best, but I've seen worse elsewhere.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
gotta really work on a healthy balance work/life

Want to know more about HICKORY TRAIL HOSPITAL?

Ask a question
Hickory trail hospital is to provide human service to those who need them.
MENTAL HEALTH TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  DeSoto, TXJuly 25, 2012
It is a chemical and mental health facility that provide outpatient programs.
Pros
not working on the weekend.
Cons
no lunch breaks sometimes
not the best
Intake and Assessment Clinician (Former Employee) –  DeSoto, TXJanuary 2, 2013
Safety concerns during late night and weekend hours due to limited staff.

Low pay for risky work
Pros
aways hiring
Cons
low staffed
Good start off job
Youth Service Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  DeSoto, TXApril 21, 2014
Monitor patients, document behavior, stay on the same accord as the nurses and therapists
Mental Health Technician (Current Employee) –  DeSoto, TXMay 12, 2014
Love working with patients and staff at this hospital
Enjoy the interaction
A place that helps both patients and employees.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Desoto, TXJanuary 14, 2014
Hickory Trail Hospital is a place whose primary goal is to help people. There has to be that attitude of care when helping patients in order to make a difference in their lives. I have had multiple jobs here over my several years of employment. I have always felt encouraged to use the more specialized skills I have and to advance and grow.

Places of employment are only as good as the people who work there and lead. I have been employed here long enough to witness excellent department directors and leadership and not so great directors and leadership I have worked under to of my favorite bosses at the hospital. Both were great at finding an employee's talents and nurturing them to better both the employee and the level of care the hospital provides.

There was a period where leadership was lacking, but the current directors place have been working hard to build a better, more open culture for employees. There are mulitple places for employees to take any issues and there is a lot of encouragement to bring new ideas to the leadership staff. There is a more focused emphasis on safety and explaining why procedures that are in place create a safer environment for patients and employees. In the last two years there has been more accountability on direct care staff as well as management that has encouraged everyone to work together to provide higher quality care to the patients we serve.
Pros
advancement opportunities, education reimbursment
Culture of blame, retaliation, and scapegoating
Nurse (Former Employee) –  DesotoJanuary 12, 2013
I worked there as a nurse for several years and I saw multiple DONs, CEOs, and other administrators come and go. The facility is very money driven and *allegedly*falsely lowers employee evaluations to avoid paying higher compensation in raises and has *allegedly* done so for years. They also *allegedly* avoid doing any interim evaluations (30 day, 60 day, 90 day,etc) so you are then surprised and unable to address their often *allegedly* manufactured dissatisfaction with your performance. The only times staff are offered more money is when they threaten to quit because they are always so short staffed from running off their employees. If you take a job here negotiate aggressively on pay because you wont get any notable raises. When I worked there they were *allegedly* taking lunches out of your paycheck whether you actually took them or not. I am told that they eventually started writing people up for not taking lunches and not leaving exactly on time (this was after I no longer worked there so I cannot verify this first hand). This is regardless of how heavy your patient load is or how much happens that day. I have also heard current employees say that they get retaliation if they take off days for being sick or to care for their children or families.
This is *allegedly* especially true if you are one of their few reliable employees. If so then you are given extra responsibilities without any extra pay or appreciation.

I didn't think the administrators were supportive when I was there and it sounds like not much has changed.
It's very sad because it is a small enough hospital
  more... that they could have a closely knit community of workers if they didn't run them into the ground or run them off... Very sad.  less
Pros
easy to be a low performer and stay employed, always hiring and will take almost anyone
Cons
impossible workload and penalties for anything that affects their bottom line, only paid for holidays if you work that day, otherwise you have to cash in ptos

HICKORY TRAIL HOSPITAL Reviews by Location