High Liner Foods Employee Reviews

good
Crew Chief (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MAJanuary 12, 2017
it was a good place of employment where i learned very valuable skills that i can transition into other job roles. I enjoyed being a line leader.
Great Place to Work - Ambitious Goals
Supply Chain Analyst (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHNovember 11, 2016
This company has a growth goal and has made great strides to achieve it. Currently there is a top down effort to improve efficiencies and elevate to best in class performance.
Pros
Co-Workers, Work Life Balance
Cons
Growing Pains
High turnover
Engineering Director (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHNovember 3, 2016
Unfortunately, High Liner is experiencing a high employee turnover rate and has so for several years. I enjoyed my co-workers thoroughly, they are top notch, but many are frustrated by lack of direction from management.
Pros
Good benefits
Productive worklace
Assembly Line Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 8, 2016
Worked with different people did different assignments at least 3 times a week fast pace assembly line on your feet for long time without breaks seafood plant so you will stink
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Breaks short
Internal processes very cumbersome.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 9, 2016
Typical workday was spent chasing information to get things completed. I enjoyed working on multiple teams and independently. Management should look at ways to improve morale.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Too much favortism & always low morale.
good place to work as far as pay and benafits but as far as safety,concrents and well-being for the workers NO!
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJune 15, 2016
Overall the worst job ever didn't really learn anything but how to manage working in a cold storage and about food safety.
Pros
NO PROS!
Cons
VERY SHORT BREAKS TO WORK IN A COLD STORAGE, the equipment provided to help keep use warm was very poor!
Plan to work 7 days a week.
Operations (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 21, 2016
Management has no regaurd for having a work life balance. You will be lucky to have 3 months a year of 5 day work weeks, otherwise plan to work 7 days a week. If you are an operator they expect you to work 9.5+ hour days. If you are tired from the countless hours be prepared to be written up and booted out the door.
Poorly Managed
Inventory Control Cycle Counter (Current Employee) –  New Bedford, MAApril 11, 2016
High Liner Foods is one of the largest seafood production companies in the northeast. For it to have such poor management and don't know how to take care of it's employees is rather sad. I do not recommend anyone to consider working for this company.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Poor Management, No Concern For Employee Morale
Great work environment, love my coworkers!
Sales Administrator (Current Employee) –  New Bedford, MAMarch 18, 2016
Very laid back work environment. I thoroughly enjoy working with my coworkers. Morale is great here! I feel valued by my boss and the other people that I work with.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Healthcare plan
Company got to big to fast
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHFebruary 1, 2016
Work days where challenging and fast paced, management seems to show no regard for labor force, co workers justifiably disheartened, very tight budget for necessities, high employee turnover
Pros
creative freedom due to tight budget
Cons
upper mangement
Growing Company
Sr. Cost Accountant (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHMay 28, 2015
Great company that is growing rapidly. Many chances to advance your career. It is a very demanding job, but the reward potential is great.
Worst job I've ever had in my life
Maintenance Mechanic Trainee (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MAFebruary 15, 2015
This place is pathetic. Its disorganized, unsafe, unkept, broken down with everything held together by duct tape. Its incredibly loud and filthy. Most of the people's idea of a greeting is a staredown and a dirty look. There are a few good friendly people but they are few and far between. The attitudes of these people are incredibly bad and I've seen a lot. Morale is horrible. The dirtbag that was supposed to train me was a total loser with the personality of a pile of dog dung and refused to train me, he would just do something quick and then walk off with his arrogrant lowlife attitude. Other mechanics were the same way, can't be bothered to help you learn anything but expect you to learn. How? Something breaks down every few minutes so the minute you start working on some preventative maintenance of some offline piece of equipment, something else on the production floor breaks and you're back out there with your roll of duct tape. This place should be out of business but its one of those that will fly by the seat of its pants and just get by for years. This hole makes working on a chain gang seem like fun.
Optimum Care Network
HUMAN RESOURCES GENERALIST (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MAFebruary 12, 2015
Optimum Care Network was a great company to work for. I started as a temp and then I was hired permanently. The culture was great and the people I worked with and for were very helpful. I was then promoted and was relocated to Connecticut where I was in charge of opening two recruitment offices in the state. I really like my job there but the company ended up going into bankruptcy.
A high volume production facility with many objectivies & challenges
Engineering Manager (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHSeptember 18, 2014
Compensation was commensurate with professional settings and reviewed frequently.
Workday could start a 4:00 AM and could go to 11:00 PM. High stress, but with good job satisfaction. Time-off when season was low.
Management was demanding but fair.
Co-workers were responsible, and generally fair people, given the work pressures.
Design of new systems/processes.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Long workdays during production times
very energetic environment place to work
Frozen Food Clerk (Current Employee) –  Malden, MAApril 8, 2014
we have our schedule placed the day before of what our duty is for the following day .. we know what to expect so I come prepared .. some assignments are more easier and relaxing than others .. the job could be excited as others could be stressful .. but you always have co-workers by your side with a helping hand .. we are all there to help one another and that's what I love about my job .. the hardest part of the job is when the company goes slow and you have been asked not to come in the next day .. I'm the person that likes to get my 40hrs or more .. but I have to be understandable with the manager since it's not his choice ..
Great office experience and great management
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  New HampshireOctober 22, 2013
I really enjoyed my time with High Liner Foods.It was a great work atmosphere. I worked with amazing people.
Hands on job
Packaging Lead (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 15, 2013
Typical day at Highliner would be come in get the Spec. see what product we are running and how many batches. Go to my station get all my equipment out and ready that i may need and prefill paper while waiting on dayshift to finish or discuss product with my operators and workers so if anything comes up we got it covered. Learned how to anticipate problems so we can keep production moving at all times how to communicate with people who doesnt speak or understand english. Co'workers were very friendly and respectful as long as you give them the same amount of respect you want in return. There wasnt anything about my job that was hard more enjoyable than anything.
Pros
pay rate, holidays off and weekends
Cons
1 break for 30 minutes
A place that you can lean different material
Forklift operator (Current Employee) –  Newport News Va. 23606July 17, 2013
I off load truck and load truck I operate stand up forklift , P.E pallet jack , order picker and scissor lift. the hardest of work is the cold.
I was with this company 40+ years. There have been many mgt. changes and challenges.
Traffic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHNovember 24, 2012
I started on the Production Line and advanced to several different department through my years at High Liner (Formerly Booth Fisheries). Although the jobs were fast paced and hectic at times, my co-workers were always wonderful to work with. I got along with any department I had to work with. Most of my immediate bosses were great to work with and for.