Higher One Employee Reviews in United States

The business is built on integrity, teamwork, creativity, transparency, value and service
Senior Coaching Specialist, Quality Assurance (Current Employee) –  New Haven CTMay 4, 2015
I developed so many skills here at Higher One. From Management skills, Coaching Skills, Stellar Skills, and Open communication throughout the company. I Love my job here because I get to meet new people through Managing Agents in house and at home. Helping our Agent deliver World Class Service by following Correct Company Procedures through training is very rewarding to me. Higher one is a great place to work and really believes in its Culture.
Pros
Free lunches, Gym, Good benefits, Fun committee.
Cons
long hours. but rewarding.
Comfortable Work from home Career
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTMay 17, 2016
Logged into work computer and screens. Signed into phone system and specific chat room. Answered back to back call inquiries from customers. Providing additional product information and upgrade features. Advised clients how and where to find account information online. Kept records of calls and call experience.

Researched data related to claims and escalated calls. Electronically created files due to escalated cases.
Great company
Home Based Customer Care Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Work from homeMay 11, 2016
If Higher One had not outsourced their call center and home based agents no longer being considered, I would still be employed by them. Although we were home agents, it was very user friendly through our chat system..Team players all the way. IT and managers were always available. We were also included in all activities in the New Haven office
Cons
Outsourced the call center
Great place to work with amazing people!
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 9, 2015
Enjoyed working with a group of dedicated, intelligent, and ambitious people. Received excellent training and support from management.
Tries to do too much with too little
Professional (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 18, 2013
This company is young and experiencing growing pains. It's a prime example of trying to accomplish everything under the sun with not enough resources. The company has a top-heavy feel with too many managers and not enough lower level positions to get the work done.

The culture is shifting from a fun small company to a larger company that's trying to learn how to balance the needs of its shareholders with the needs of its employees. Because of this, the employee turnover is strangely high.

There are some good perks like free lunches, a free gym, lounges with ping pong and foosball, a free coffee bar in the lobby, and flexible schedules (not for all employees). However, those perks might not make up for the low salaries and poor health benefits. Raises are hard to come by, so if you're negotiating for a position, aim high with your salary request.
Pros
flexible work schedule, good work/life balance, free lunch, free coffee bar, ping pong, foosball, free parking
Cons
low salary, poor healthcare, high turnover
They consistently promote from within.
Customer Service Rep to Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 26, 2016
I was able to move up quickly. I worked from home which I enjoyed. The training is excellent and there is always support available to you while you are working. It was a great experience.
Productive but Fun Environment
Corporate Development Manager (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 16, 2013
Higher One is a very good place to work as work-life balance is a staple of the culture. Each employee is encouraged to think outside the box and present ideas to management without fear of having your manager take credit. Innovation is the centerpiece of the company and is cultivated at every level of the organization.
Pros
free lunch, on-site gym, free coffee bar, monthly beer carts
Cons
compensation below market
Didn't like it
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTApril 9, 2015
Position was poorly constructed by management and not enough flexibility. Job was highly demanding and there was no work/life balance at all.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Work ethics and demands of the job
Talk the Talk, but don't walk the walk
Professional (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 19, 2012
This company certainly promotes themselves as being a great place to work, but it's all internal marketing. If you say it enough times it must be true. In reality, they view the employee population as pawns who are of no use beyond their work.

Management is inexperienced. Feedback given to employees is next to none. I believe they view the review process as a nuisance instead of a tool to develop employees. They are far more likely to go external instead of promoting from within. Also a lot of inconsistency throughout the company. High performers in one area leave while incompetence carries on in others.
Pros
nice amenities (gym, free coffee and lunch), casual work environment, flexible schedules for most
Cons
pay is low, benefits are very cheap and heads roll without warning (frequently)
Great company to work for
Remote Customer Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 22, 2015
Loved working for Higher One. Too bad they outsourced the Call Center to the Phillipines and El Salvador. Their pay was better than most companies and their support was excellent
Pros
great support
Cons
relocating call center
I prefer not to
CUSTOMER CARE ESCALATION SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 26, 2015
I would answer escalated calls from students regarding school refunds. My jib would be to defuse the caller, and provide them with accurate information. I would assure them they would get their money.
Pros
working from home meeting different people
Cons
students getting inaccurate information from their school
Not a good company
customer care (Former Employee) –  new havenFebruary 4, 2014
I was excited when I started to work for the company, but they don't give you enough training to perform your job. When the busiest time is over they let you go using any stupid excuse.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
long hours of work, poor management, little training, low pay, bad health insurance, no communication, no recognition
Great Job That Works Around Your Hours
Home Based Customer Care Associate (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 11, 2012
You spend your day hooked up to your phone since you need a hard line phone. Your only communications with other employees is through the chat feature. This is one of those "real" Home Based Jobs. If your good, they will continue to call you back every season. I've enjoyed working there and each season I can pick which hours I'd be available.

Hardest part of the job is making sure home internet stays connected for eight hours at a time. That's not their issue, however, it makes a difference in whether you can preform the job right.

The most enjoyable part of the job. I'm seasonal so I work 2 -3 months, then off a month. Since this is a second job for now, I use that time off to complete other projects. I've noticed that most of the seasonal staff have been returning for years. Everybody seems to have good things to say about the working conditions in the main office in New Haven.
Pros
work from your home, saves on gas
Cons
limited chance for advancement by being home based in a job that's in another state
no review
home based agent (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTMarch 19, 2013
friendly co workers, no advancement. no raises, high insurance costs, no communication with customer service
Pros
good schedule
Cons
high cost of benefits, no advance opportunities
Not that great of a place, very vague about what's going on a daily basis
Customer Care Agent, CIP Agent (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 6, 2014
They wouldn't be very clear about whether your salary was going to improve over time, which it doesn't. You can be working there for 5 years and get paid the same amount since you started, unless you advance, but there is very RARE chances of that happening.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
terrible communication, even worse training.
Seasonal Employment as customer service Agent
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CtFebruary 16, 2015
This job was very fast paced and taught me more patience in dealing with irate customers. The hardest part of the job was having deal with customers when they were profusely irate and not willing to cooperate. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to learn new skills, working for a banking firm
Productive and fun place to work
Customer Identification Program (Former Employee) –  New Haven CtOctober 13, 2014
The company is all about culture and the people are great. Everyone is so nice and they make you feel as if you are a part of the family
Pros
free lunch
Seasonal Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Work at HomeFebruary 3, 2015
I loved working here! There is lots of support for you in this position and it is never boring. I loved the customer interaction and felt the training enabled me to answer almost all of my customers' questions. When there were a few questions I couldn't answer, there was great support.
Pros
great training, support, co-workers, customers
Cons
occasionally an upset customer, but very few
Great place for temporary work
Home Based Seasonal Customer Care Agent (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTMarch 3, 2015
Flexible hours, no weekends and good hourly pay for a seasonal job. I will return if my schedule permits next season. I received calls from cardholders.
Banking
Call Center Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTAugust 1, 2013
Overall a nice job to have great location however I wasn't to fond of management. I enjoyed the stellar training courses and contest we would have.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Higher One. Our community is ready to answer.