Higher One Employee Reviews

Good work environment
Customer Service Rep Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Clermont, FLFebruary 3, 2017
Higher One required you to work at home. They were really good at answering questions that you may have. Since you are working from home you don't always have the luxury of asking your fellow coworker a question about policy. There was a hotline we could call at anytime to get info also a chat room in case of anything else that may have come up
Pros
Saved Gas Money
NO Career Here
Account Specialist/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  VirtualMarch 16, 2017
The environment was very laid back. Supervisors had their favorites and if you didn't belong in that group no matter how great your performance you were looked over.
Pros
Family Owned
Cons
Glass ceiling.. you trained others and they were promoted over you.
Outsourced all Customer Service to Phillipines
Resolutions Specialist (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 4, 2017
This was an excellent company to work for up to a couple of years ago when they sent their call centers overseas. Now Higher One has been taken over by Customers Bank and they outsourced the remaining remote employees.
Pros
Cons
No Future
Productive and fun place to work
Quality Analyst (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 28, 2016
Great place to work and they really value their employee's. Not much opportunity for growth or advancement, but the employee can try and work with management to better this aspect.
Pros
Great work life balance, employee treatment, pay
Cons
Education, growth, advancement, job security
Contracts Specialist
Contracts Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 29, 2016
I had the opportunity to work for HireOne. I was interviewed and place quickly. Worked on site with the government client. It was a great experience.
Pros
Open communication with upper level management.
Excellent working environment
Relationship Manager (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 13, 2016
Excellent working environment, Allows Growth, Free Lunches, Relaxed Environment.

I work independently most of the time however I work with an excellent team as well. The management team are always willing to guide and answer questions.
Pros
Allows Growth, Free Lunches, Relaxed Environment
Comfortable Work from home Career
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTMay 17, 2016
Logged into work computer and screens. Signed into phone system and specific chat room. Answered back to back call inquiries from customers. Providing additional product information and upgrade features. Advised clients how and where to find account information online. Kept records of calls and call experience.

Researched data related to claims and escalated calls. Electronically created files due to escalated cases.
Great company
Home Based Customer Care Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Work from homeMay 11, 2016
If Higher One had not outsourced their call center and home based agents no longer being considered, I would still be employed by them. Although we were home agents, it was very user friendly through our chat system..Team players all the way. IT and managers were always available. We were also included in all activities in the New Haven office
Cons
Outsourced the call center
Stellar CSR Agent
Customer Care Representative (CSR) (Former Employee) –  W@HMay 20, 2016
Premium job.

Co-workers every activate and friendly. typical day
ticket routine each call, make sure either FASA money and scholarships are secure and money present and whim.
Pros
W@H, Flexible Schedule
Cons
Short break, many calls.
They consistently promote from within.
Customer Service Rep to Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 26, 2016
I was able to move up quickly. I worked from home which I enjoyed. The training is excellent and there is always support available to you while you are working. It was a great experience.
The business is built on integrity, teamwork, creativity, transparency, value and service
Senior Coaching Specialist, Quality Assurance (Current Employee) –  New Haven CTMay 4, 2015
I developed so many skills here at Higher One. From Management skills, Coaching Skills, Stellar Skills, and Open communication throughout the company. I Love my job here because I get to meet new people through Managing Agents in house and at home. Helping our Agent deliver World Class Service by following Correct Company Procedures through training is very rewarding to me. Higher one is a great place to work and really believes in its Culture.
Pros
Free lunches, Gym, Good benefits, Fun committee.
Cons
long hours. but rewarding.
I prefer not to
CUSTOMER CARE ESCALATION SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 26, 2015
I would answer escalated calls from students regarding school refunds. My jib would be to defuse the caller, and provide them with accurate information. I would assure them they would get their money.
Pros
working from home meeting different people
Cons
students getting inaccurate information from their school
Great company to work for
Remote Customer Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 22, 2015
Loved working for Higher One. Too bad they outsourced the Call Center to the Phillipines and El Salvador. Their pay was better than most companies and their support was excellent
Pros
great support
Cons
relocating call center
Seasonal Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Work at HomeFebruary 3, 2015
I loved working here! There is lots of support for you in this position and it is never boring. I loved the customer interaction and felt the training enabled me to answer almost all of my customers' questions. When there were a few questions I couldn't answer, there was great support.
Pros
Great training, support, co-workers, customers
Cons
Occasionally an upset customer, but very few
Productive but Fun Environment
Corporate Development Manager (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 16, 2013
Higher One is a very good place to work as work-life balance is a staple of the culture. Each employee is encouraged to think outside the box and present ideas to management without fear of having your manager take credit. Innovation is the centerpiece of the company and is cultivated at every level of the organization.
Pros
Free lunch, on-site gym, free coffee bar, monthly beer carts
Cons
Compensation below market
Seasonal Employment as customer service Agent
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CtFebruary 16, 2015
This job was very fast paced and taught me more patience in dealing with irate customers. The hardest part of the job was having deal with customers when they were profusely irate and not willing to cooperate. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to learn new skills, working for a banking firm
Not that great of a place, very vague about what's going on a daily basis
Customer Care Agent, CIP Agent (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 6, 2014
They wouldn't be very clear about whether your salary was going to improve over time, which it doesn't. You can be working there for 5 years and get paid the same amount since you started, unless you advance, but there is very RARE chances of that happening.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
terrible communication, even worse training.
Talk the Talk, but don't walk the walk
Professional (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 19, 2012
This company certainly promotes themselves as being a great place to work, but it's all internal marketing. If you say it enough times it must be true. In reality, they view the employee population as pawns who are of no use beyond their work.

Management is inexperienced. Feedback given to employees is next to none. I believe they view the review process as a nuisance instead of a tool to develop employees. They are far more likely to go external instead of promoting from within. Also a lot of inconsistency throughout the company. High performers in one area leave while incompetence carries on in others.
Pros
nice amenities (gym, free coffee and lunch), casual work environment, flexible schedules for most
Cons
pay is low, benefits are very cheap and heads roll without warning (frequently)
Great place to work with amazing people!
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 9, 2015
Enjoyed working with a group of dedicated, intelligent, and ambitious people. Received excellent training and support from management.
Not a good company
customer care (Former Employee) –  new havenFebruary 4, 2014
I was excited when I started to work for the company, but they don't give you enough training to perform your job. When the busiest time is over they let you go using any stupid excuse.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
long hours of work, poor management, little training, low pay, bad health insurance, no communication, no recognition

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Higher One. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2