Higher One Employee Reviews

Great Job That Works Around Your Hours
Home Based Customer Care Associate (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 11, 2012
You spend your day hooked up to your phone since you need a hard line phone. Your only communications with other employees is through the chat feature. This is one of those "real" Home Based Jobs. If your good, they will continue to call you back every season. I've enjoyed working there and each season I can pick which hours I'd be available.

Hardest part of the job is making sure home internet stays connected for eight hours at a time. That's not their issue, however, it makes a difference in whether you can preform the job right.

The most enjoyable part of the job. I'm seasonal so I work 2 -3 months, then off a month. Since this is a second job for now, I use that time off to complete other projects. I've noticed that most of the seasonal staff have been returning for years. Everybody seems to have good things to say about the working conditions in the main office in New Haven.
Pros
work from your home, saves on gas
Cons
limited chance for advancement by being home based in a job that's in another state
Bad Place
Customer Care Agent (Current Employee) –  New HavenJuly 13, 2014
This is by far one of the worst call centers I have ever worked in. They pay $10 an hour their benefits are expensive but have high deductibles. The management needs to go back to school because they have no clue. They are extremely unfair in actions that require attention. They expect a lot for a job paying just $10 an hour with no training but to sit in front of a computer for 2 weeks and read and take tests and are then put on a phone with no formal training whatsoever. I work there now and would not recommend working here where you get $10 an hour with no yearly review and no way to make more money. Free lunch, ping pong tables and other toys are not how I want to be treated I want money in my pocket. the only positive thing I can say is the working conditions are nice with new furniture and my coworkers are the best. This company is also under a watchful eye of the government and has been sued and fined for millions and is now under a class action suit for millions more.
Pros
nice building, nice coworkers
Cons
everything
Tries to do too much with too little
Professional (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 18, 2013
This company is young and experiencing growing pains. It's a prime example of trying to accomplish everything under the sun with not enough resources. The company has a top-heavy feel with too many managers and not enough lower level positions to get the work done.

The culture is shifting from a fun small company to a larger company that's trying to learn how to balance the needs of its shareholders with the needs of its employees. Because of this, the employee turnover is strangely high.

There are some good perks like free lunches, a free gym, lounges with ping pong and foosball, a free coffee bar in the lobby, and flexible schedules (not for all employees). However, those perks might not make up for the low salaries and poor health benefits. Raises are hard to come by, so if you're negotiating for a position, aim high with your salary request.
Pros
flexible work schedule, good work/life balance, free lunch, free coffee bar, ping pong, foosball, free parking
Cons
low salary, poor healthcare, high turnover
Talk the Talk, but don't walk the walk
Professional (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 19, 2012
This company certainly promotes themselves as being a great place to work, but it's all internal marketing. If you say it enough times it must be true. In reality, they view the employee population as pawns who are of no use beyond their work.

Management is inexperienced. Feedback given to employees is next to none. I believe they view the review process as a nuisance instead of a tool to develop employees. They are far more likely to go external instead of promoting from within. Also a lot of inconsistency throughout the company. High performers in one area leave while incompetence carries on in others.
Pros
nice amenities (gym, free coffee and lunch), casual work environment, flexible schedules for most
Cons
pay is low, benefits are very cheap and heads roll without warning (frequently)
The business is built on integrity, teamwork, creativity, transparency, value and service
Senior Coaching Specialist, Quality Assurance (Current Employee) –  New Haven CTMay 4, 2015
I developed so many skills here at Higher One. From Management skills, Coaching Skills, Stellar Skills, and Open communication throughout the company. I Love my job here because I get to meet new people through Managing Agents in house and at home. Helping our Agent deliver World Class Service by following Correct Company Procedures through training is very rewarding to me. Higher one is a great place to work and really believes in its Culture.
Pros
Free lunches, Gym, Good benefits, Fun committee.
Cons
long hours. but rewarding.
Not that great of a place, very vague about what's going on a daily basis
Customer Care Agent, CIP Agent (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 6, 2014
They wouldn't be very clear about whether your salary was going to improve over time, which it doesn't. You can be working there for 5 years and get paid the same amount since you started, unless you advance, but there is very RARE chances of that happening.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
terrible communication, even worse training.
Productive but Fun Environment
Corporate Development Manager (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 16, 2013
Higher One is a very good place to work as work-life balance is a staple of the culture. Each employee is encouraged to think outside the box and present ideas to management without fear of having your manager take credit. Innovation is the centerpiece of the company and is cultivated at every level of the organization.
Pros
free lunch, on-site gym, free coffee bar, monthly beer carts
Cons
compensation below market
Seasonal Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Work at HomeFebruary 3, 2015
I loved working here! There is lots of support for you in this position and it is never boring. I loved the customer interaction and felt the training enabled me to answer almost all of my customers' questions. When there were a few questions I couldn't answer, there was great support.
Pros
great training, support, co-workers, customers
Cons
occasionally an upset customer, but very few
Not a good company
customer care (Former Employee) –  new havenFebruary 4, 2014
I was excited when I started to work for the company, but they don't give you enough training to perform your job. When the busiest time is over they let you go using any stupid excuse.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
long hours of work, poor management, little training, low pay, bad health insurance, no communication, no recognition
Seasonal Employment as customer service Agent
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CtFebruary 16, 2015
This job was very fast paced and taught me more patience in dealing with irate customers. The hardest part of the job was having deal with customers when they were profusely irate and not willing to cooperate. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to learn new skills, working for a banking firm
Call Center at home
Higher One Home Based Customer Care Agent (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 9, 2014
This is a great fast paced job,great opportunity to work from home. The job is part time and contract but there are options to advance, the job does have short breaks but the people you Im with are very nice.
Pros
home based
Cons
short breaks, only work during peak seasons
At home work available.
At Home CSR (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTFebruary 27, 2012
Treat you well, but micro manage. You can't advance unless you are PERFECT. One little error on a call and they hold you back. And they will not move you to a better suited position unless you get excellent on your calls.
Pros
great people and good pay.
Cons
hard to move up.
Work from home bilingual customer service agent (Current Employee) –  Work from homeOctober 18, 2013
The best place to work, I love this job, nice people, excellent training program and flexibles in your schedule, This is my first season working with them and praying to get called again for next season, GREAT PLACE TO WORK
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
it is seasonal
I prefer not to
CUSTOMER CARE ESCALATION SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 26, 2015
I would answer escalated calls from students regarding school refunds. My jib would be to defuse the caller, and provide them with accurate information. I would assure them they would get their money.
Pros
working from home meeting different people
Cons
students getting inaccurate information from their school
They consistently promote from within.
Customer Service Rep to Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 26, 2016
I was able to move up quickly. I worked from home which I enjoyed. The training is excellent and there is always support available to you while you are working. It was a great experience.
Ok Company
Worked the CCS Assist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 7, 2014
Ok company-was a pretty good company 2 years ago but just an ok company to work for now. The leads and managers that I work with are fabulous and make it a fun place to work.
Pros
work at home
Cons
short breaks
Excellent Place to Work
Seasonal Home-based Customer Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 15, 2014
I have continued to enjoy working for Higher One. I have worked seasonally for approx. 3.5 years. It is a great option when seasonal work is preferred. They have provided great training and support throughout.
Great company to work for
Remote Customer Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 22, 2015
Loved working for Higher One. Too bad they outsourced the Call Center to the Phillipines and El Salvador. Their pay was better than most companies and their support was excellent
Pros
great support
Cons
relocating call center
Great place for temporary work
Home Based Seasonal Customer Care Agent (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTMarch 3, 2015
Flexible hours, no weekends and good hourly pay for a seasonal job. I will return if my schedule permits next season. I received calls from cardholders.
Productive and fun place to work
Customer Identification Program (Former Employee) –  New Haven CtOctober 13, 2014
The company is all about culture and the people are great. Everyone is so nice and they make you feel as if you are a part of the family
Pros
free lunch