Higher One Employee Reviews

Productive and fun place to work
Quality Analyst (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 28, 2016
Great place to work and they really value their employee's. Not much opportunity for growth or advancement, but the employee can try and work with management to better this aspect.
Pros
Great work life balance, employee treatment, pay
Cons
Education, growth, advancement, job security
Good work environment
Customer Service Rep Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Clermont, FLFebruary 3, 2017
Higher One required you to work at home. They were really good at answering questions that you may have. Since you are working from home you don't always have the luxury of asking your fellow coworker a question about policy. There was a hotline we could call at anytime to get info also a chat room in case of anything else that may have come up
Pros
Saved Gas Money
Outsourced all Customer Service to Phillipines
Resolutions Specialist (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 4, 2017
This was an excellent company to work for up to a couple of years ago when they sent their call centers overseas. Now Higher One has been taken over by Customers Bank and they outsourced the remaining remote employees.
Pros
Cons
No Future
Contracts Specialist
Contracts Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 29, 2016
I had the opportunity to work for HireOne. I was interviewed and place quickly. Worked on site with the government client. It was a great experience.
Pros
Open communication with upper level management.
The business is built on integrity, teamwork, creativity, transparency, value and service
Senior Coaching Specialist, Quality Assurance (Current Employee) –  New Haven CTMay 4, 2015
I developed so many skills here at Higher One. From Management skills, Coaching Skills, Stellar Skills, and Open communication throughout the company. I Love my job here because I get to meet new people through Managing Agents in house and at home. Helping our Agent deliver World Class Service by following Correct Company Procedures through training is very rewarding to me. Higher one is a great place to work and really believes in its Culture.
Pros
Free lunches, Gym, Good benefits, Fun committee.
Cons
long hours. but rewarding.
Tries to do too much with too little
Professional (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 18, 2013
This company is young and experiencing growing pains. It's a prime example of trying to accomplish everything under the sun with not enough resources. The company has a top-heavy feel with too many managers and not enough lower level positions to get the work done.

The culture is shifting from a fun small company to a larger company that's trying to learn how to balance the needs of its shareholders with the needs of its employees. Because of this, the employee turnover is strangely high.

There are some good perks like free lunches, a free gym, lounges with ping pong and foosball, a free coffee bar in the lobby, and flexible schedules (not for all employees). However, those perks might not make up for the low salaries and poor health benefits. Raises are hard to come by, so if you're negotiating for a position, aim high with your salary request.
Pros
flexible work schedule, good work/life balance, free lunch, free coffee bar, ping pong, foosball, free parking
Cons
low salary, poor healthcare, high turnover
Excellent working environment
Relationship Manager (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 13, 2016
Excellent working environment, Allows Growth, Free Lunches, Relaxed Environment.

I work independently most of the time however I work with an excellent team as well. The management team are always willing to guide and answer questions.
Pros
Allows Growth, Free Lunches, Relaxed Environment
Cons
Talk the Talk, but don't walk the walk
Professional (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 19, 2012
This company certainly promotes themselves as being a great place to work, but it's all internal marketing. If you say it enough times it must be true. In reality, they view the employee population as pawns who are of no use beyond their work.

Management is inexperienced. Feedback given to employees is next to none. I believe they view the review process as a nuisance instead of a tool to develop employees. They are far more likely to go external instead of promoting from within. Also a lot of inconsistency throughout the company. High performers in one area leave while incompetence carries on in others.
Pros
nice amenities (gym, free coffee and lunch), casual work environment, flexible schedules for most
Cons
pay is low, benefits are very cheap and heads roll without warning (frequently)
Bad Place
Customer Care Agent (Current Employee) –  New HavenJuly 13, 2014
This is by far one of the worst call centers I have ever worked in. They pay $10 an hour their benefits are expensive but have high deductibles. The management needs to go back to school because they have no clue. They are extremely unfair in actions that require attention. They expect a lot for a job paying just $10 an hour with no training but to sit in front of a computer for 2 weeks and read and take tests and are then put on a phone with no formal training whatsoever. I work there now and would not recommend working here where you get $10 an hour with no yearly review and no way to make more money. Free lunch, ping pong tables and other toys are not how I want to be treated I want money in my pocket. the only positive thing I can say is the working conditions are nice with new furniture and my coworkers are the best. This company is also under a watchful eye of the government and has been sued and fined for millions and is now under a class action suit for millions more.
Pros
nice building, nice coworkers
Cons
everything
Productive but Fun Environment
Corporate Development Manager (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 16, 2013
Higher One is a very good place to work as work-life balance is a staple of the culture. Each employee is encouraged to think outside the box and present ideas to management without fear of having your manager take credit. Innovation is the centerpiece of the company and is cultivated at every level of the organization.
Pros
Free lunch, on-site gym, free coffee bar, monthly beer carts
Cons
Compensation below market
Comfortable Work from home Career
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTMay 17, 2016
Logged into work computer and screens. Signed into phone system and specific chat room. Answered back to back call inquiries from customers. Providing additional product information and upgrade features. Advised clients how and where to find account information online. Kept records of calls and call experience.

Researched data related to claims and escalated calls. Electronically created files due to escalated cases.
Stellar CSR Agent
Customer Care Representative (CSR) (Former Employee) –  W@HMay 20, 2016
Premium job.

Co-workers every activate and friendly. typical day
ticket routine each call, make sure either FASA money and scholarships are secure and money present and whim.
Pros
W@H, Flexible Schedule
Cons
Short break, many calls.
Great company
Home Based Customer Care Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Work from homeMay 11, 2016
If Higher One had not outsourced their call center and home based agents no longer being considered, I would still be employed by them. Although we were home agents, it was very user friendly through our chat system..Team players all the way. IT and managers were always available. We were also included in all activities in the New Haven office
Cons
Outsourced the call center
Not that great of a place, very vague about what's going on a daily basis
Customer Care Agent, CIP Agent (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 6, 2014
They wouldn't be very clear about whether your salary was going to improve over time, which it doesn't. You can be working there for 5 years and get paid the same amount since you started, unless you advance, but there is very RARE chances of that happening.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
terrible communication, even worse training.
no review
home based agent (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTMarch 19, 2013
friendly co workers, no advancement. no raises, high insurance costs, no communication with customer service
Pros
good schedule
Cons
high cost of benefits, no advance opportunities
Not a good company
customer care (Former Employee) –  new havenFebruary 4, 2014
I was excited when I started to work for the company, but they don't give you enough training to perform your job. When the busiest time is over they let you go using any stupid excuse.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
long hours of work, poor management, little training, low pay, bad health insurance, no communication, no recognition
They consistently promote from within.
Customer Service Rep to Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 26, 2016
I was able to move up quickly. I worked from home which I enjoyed. The training is excellent and there is always support available to you while you are working. It was a great experience.
Great place to work with amazing people!
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 9, 2015
Enjoyed working with a group of dedicated, intelligent, and ambitious people. Received excellent training and support from management.
Didn't like it
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTApril 9, 2015
Position was poorly constructed by management and not enough flexibility. Job was highly demanding and there was no work/life balance at all.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Work ethics and demands of the job
Great company to work for
Remote Customer Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 22, 2015
Loved working for Higher One. Too bad they outsourced the Call Center to the Phillipines and El Salvador. Their pay was better than most companies and their support was excellent
Pros
great support
Cons
relocating call center

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Higher One. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2