Highgate Hotels Employee Reviews

Hard work
Front office Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 24, 2017
Great place to work if you have the right team be your side.Remember it is all about guest satisfaction. Working at the as a Front Office Manager you learn a lot about the inner workings of guests and you are basically the voice of the hotel and the GM once everyone leaves for the day. You have a lot of freedom to make decisions and come up with ideas to impact the hotel.
Pros
vacation days, opportunity to move up, benefits, coaching and counseling
Cons
Work life balance
Toxic and deceitful hospitality practices
hourly employee (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 23, 2017
Poorly managed company with incompetent management and poor technology in place. The profit margin is the only currency they believe in, which brings about high employee turnover , low employee morale, deceitful practices both towards corporate guests and employees (ruled by fear making hourly employees punching out and coming back to office when they should be leaving home). Its one thing on the paper and another in reality!
Pros
Cons
too many to list
strange management style
Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Key West, FLApril 9, 2017
Management is rude and dismissive. They know absolutely nothing about customer service. No bathroom in the main building had to go outside to use the bathroom. No security for night workers.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
everything else
Highgate cuts jobs
Hourle employee (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 7, 2017
Horrible Highgate. They cut and close areas of Hotel...ruining reputation of hotels they manage... lots of people losing jobs!! And they're a bunch of sneaky people too...watchout!!
Pros
Nice houly workers. Nice middle management.
Cons
Everyhing else
I would never go back to Hyatt ever
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 3, 2017
Constantly standing , fake co workers and managers that don't give a care about you ,stupid HR don't have a mind on her own and horrible horrible pay. Every one constantly kiss tail it's ridiculous ,,,It's crazy we have to pay for everything like our coffee and no discount at our own starbucks ,and we work hard and long every day I hope highgate go out of business because a lot of people hate it!!! Including me !!
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
No discounts, horrible pay, fake people, poor managers
You decide whether it's worth the discount
Human Resources/ Payroll Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 22, 2017
Some of the Hotel's managers are knowledgeable and open minded. Others are very lazy and extremely negative. That's anywhere you work but, depending on the hotel, the hostility and whiny environment can really work on your nerves. Highgate is a great company to work for overall but be mindful that each hotel is different. When you transfer to a different hotel, you're taking on a different animal. Do your research and call around to make sure you're working in one of the more positive environments. It really makes a difference. The benefits are great, corporate is very helpful and supportive.
The hardest part of the job was not being supported by my direct supervisor at all. The property was disorganized, I was not given access to systems in order to do my job properly.
The most enjoyable part was the room attendants and kitchen staff. They are the most friendly and welcoming people you will ever meet.
I learned a great deal about payroll. I also learned what type of manager I do not want to be to my staff.
Pros
Discounts on Hotels
Cons
Poor work culture, disrespectful treatment of women
Rule by Fear
Confidential (Current Employee) –  variousFebruary 4, 2017
No work-Life balance. Expectation is to work 7 days a week to achieve required goals. A Culture of fear and miscommunication. If an issue arises it is who to blame not how to address the issue and get it corrected.
Pros
its a job
Not a pleasant
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 22, 2017
Upper management has no idea who, what or how to retain good employees. Extreme amount of turnovers, ultimately leading to a poor experience for their consumers.
Good to work at
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 19, 2016
The job is very good and provides many things for me. A typical day would be me getting what I time I would go to work then go there and do the normal job I need to.
Long days/no appreciation
Front Office Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 2, 2016
Highgate Hotels pays very well but there is no life balance.
You are expected to work 14 to 16 hours every day, each week for 6 and 7 days.
The most difficult part of the job is lack of support from your team. (executive committee)
There are great areas such as working with the hourly associates and the middle management team. I have learned that if you treat people well, they will treat you equally.
Pros
The hourly associates are taken care of and apprecited, not managers.
Cons
Inconsistent Management, Poor benefit package
Easy job, but disorganized
Housekeeping Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 16, 2016
Managers were not willing to take responsabilities.
Understaffed.
Pay rates low.
I tried to do the right thing and got reprimended.
No one wanted to take on regular duties like monitoring what the line employees were doing, from drinking at the work place to not doing their jobs or being inspected.
Pros
Simple
Cons
disorganized.
Horrible Experience.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 24, 2016
Do not work at Boston Park Plaza Hotel. Bunch of d%cks and a()holes at this place. DO NOT WORK HERE! The people here f€cking suck.
Needs better work/life balance
Analyst (Current Employee) –  United StatesMarch 9, 2016
You learn a lot, job growth is available. Work/life balance is horrible (although that is the nature of Hospitality), required to be available at all time, including nights and weekends. Company needs to catch up with all the other companies as far as the job culture, compensation, benefits, perks, etc.
Hard work pays off
DIRECTOR OF FINANCE (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 10, 2015
Great company overall. Great benefits. HUGE work load, at times inconsistencies in directives and procedures, possibly due to the turnover at corporate. Line employees definitely feel a division from management which isn't great for morale. If you work hard, it will be recognized and rewarded handsomely. Great bonus structure...one of the best I've seen in the industry.
Pros
great bonus structure, supportive corporate office, lots of opportunity for advancement
Cons
work/life balance isn't great, high turnover
Enterprise Applications Analyst (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 6, 2015
Great place to work however strict with "Corporate" mentality. Must fit in their box and always follow the hierarchy of management, i.e., can only speak to your direct supervisor or HR.
Very growing company
Corporate Controller (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXOctober 15, 2015
Great people to associate with. Fast growing company with great potential to increase their portfolio. Expect to deliver on result is high priority.
Good team spirt
Chief Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 24, 2015
They are a growing company with many opportunities, and chances for advancement. A very good learning experience, for all employees in all departments.
Pros
Team work
Cons
Money tight
Tough work enviornment where employees are not appreciated
Human Resources/Payroll Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlingame, CAJune 4, 2015
Payroll - Employee Relations - Union enviornment
under value employees
strong work ethic and loyalty NOT recognized
office politics run the place with favortisim benefiting those who play the game well
Pros
free lunch
Cons
lack of support from upper management
very fun enviroments for employees, most managers are very jovial and attentive but the company is very strict
Manager (Current Employee) –  Westchester, NYApril 25, 2015
morning shifts and night shifts differ a little bit but usually we come in, make sure the section is clean, start the settup for silverware, crackers, condiments, caddies, arrange the soups of the day, go through the 86 list with the chef and document the special or the day. once the door is open to guests we proceed with the service standards and carry our side duties for the day until im cut off the floor, shift finishes or next crew come in. later we procceed to the cashout where we separate cash, comps/voids and credit card checks and give the cash owed to the manager on duty and finish the shift
Pros
schdeuling is very flexible
Cons
server strenght code is based on computer numbers that might be affected by a slow day
poorly manage company
FOOD AND BEVERAGE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 26, 2015
I strongly suggest to stay away from this company, they make management work 14+ hrs a days and with no appreciation. Humans resources department is to deal with union, does serve any purpose to management. The company have high expectations but doesn't work to provide workers, in another word, they want to make money but do not like to spend.
Pros
no pros
Cons
too many

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Highgate Hotels. Our community is ready to answer.

1.8