Highgate Hotels Employee Reviews in United States

Hard work pays off
DIRECTOR OF FINANCE (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 10, 2015
Great company overall. Great benefits. HUGE work load, at times inconsistencies in directives and procedures, possibly due to the turnover at corporate. Line employees definitely feel a division from management which isn't great for morale. If you work hard, it will be recognized and rewarded handsomely. Great bonus structure...one of the best I've seen in the industry.
Pros
great bonus structure, supportive corporate office, lots of opportunity for advancement
Cons
work/life balance isn't great, high turnover
Needs better work/life balance
Analyst (Current Employee) –  United StatesMarch 9, 2016
You learn a lot, job growth is available. Work/life balance is horrible (although that is the nature of Hospitality), required to be available at all time, including nights and weekends. Company needs to catch up with all the other companies as far as the job culture, compensation, benefits, perks, etc.
Easy job, but disorganized
Housekeeping Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 16, 2016
Managers were not willing to take responsabilities.
Understaffed.
Pay rates low.
I tried to do the right thing and got reprimended.
No one wanted to take on regular duties like monitoring what the line employees were doing, from drinking at the work place to not doing their jobs or being inspected.
Pros
Simple
Cons
disorganized.
Enterprise Applications Analyst (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 6, 2015
Great place to work however strict with "Corporate" mentality. Must fit in their box and always follow the hierarchy of management, i.e., can only speak to your direct supervisor or HR.
Very growing company
Corporate Controller (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXOctober 15, 2015
Great people to associate with. Fast growing company with great potential to increase their portfolio. Expect to deliver on result is high priority.
Tough work enviornment where employees are not appreciated
Human Resources/Payroll Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlingame, CAJune 4, 2015
Payroll - Employee Relations - Union enviornment
under value employees
strong work ethic and loyalty NOT recognized
office politics run the place with favortisim benefiting those who play the game well
Pros
free lunch
Cons
lack of support from upper management
Good team spirt
Chief Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 24, 2015
They are a growing company with many opportunities, and chances for advancement. A very good learning experience, for all employees in all departments.
Pros
Team work
Cons
Money tight
very fun enviroments for employees, most managers are very jovial and attentive but the company is very strict
Manager (Current Employee) –  Westchester, NYApril 25, 2015
morning shifts and night shifts differ a little bit but usually we come in, make sure the section is clean, start the settup for silverware, crackers, condiments, caddies, arrange the soups of the day, go through the 86 list with the chef and document the special or the day. once the door is open to guests we proceed with the service standards and carry our side duties for the day until im cut off the floor, shift finishes or next crew come in. later we procceed to the cashout where we separate cash, comps/voids and credit card checks and give the cash owed to the manager on duty and finish the shift
Pros
schdeuling is very flexible
Cons
server strenght code is based on computer numbers that might be affected by a slow day
Toxic and Corrupt environment
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami Beach, FLFebruary 6, 2015
The other reviews do not lie - avoid this company at all costs.

The senior leadership (SVP of HR and COO) are arrogant, out of touch and dismissive.

They built a hotel in Miami with NO break room, no engineering shop, no HR office, and no sales office. Big mistake.

Turnover at the management level is insane - yes this is a tough industry, but Highgate sets the land speed record for my fellow department heads being dismissed.

My peers and I have been lied to repeatedly by the senior leaders, which also involves them cursing and yelling.

A true lack of professionalism.

Even our current GM (the first one was better) says he "sold his soul" to get the title.
Pros
a great view
Cons
see above - no meals, no break room, no offices
nice place to work but very challenging.
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJune 25, 2015
Really like working here the staff is great really makes you feel welcomed. the management can be pretty challenging at times. the building is old and could use some remodelling.
Deartment of Labor Should take a closer look at Hyatt Arlington
Annonymous (Current Employee) –  Arlington - VASeptember 16, 2014
Department of labor should take a closer look at this property in Arlington-VA. In the past a few months, the new hotel management fired, let go, and forced certain employees to quit their jobs. The employees were hired by the old management and they worked in different departments. F&B, housekeeping, sales, accounting, front office, and purchasing departments. All these employees had one thing in common, they all had the same religion and same background. By reviewing the files of the past six months, you will be able to see the connection.
Pros
racist management
Cons
racist management
Run , Save Yourself
Front Office (Former Employee) –  DC area HyattDecember 19, 2014
Three strikes I am out in a sad , hotel industry. Highgate , Interstate and Remington Hotels are just badly run companies. Highgate is the worst and known for their poor HR standards,. Remington so cheap and micro-managed and Interstate wants only Yes lackeys in management! I am a United Airline flight attendant now! Finally redemption for a poor first career choice
Cons
hr is racist...gm is arrogant ...corporate is a joke!!
poorly manage company
FOOD AND BEVERAGE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 26, 2015
I strongly suggest to stay away from this company, they make management work 14+ hrs a days and with no appreciation. Humans resources department is to deal with union, does serve any purpose to management. The company have high expectations but doesn't work to provide workers, in another word, they want to make money but do not like to spend.
Pros
no pros
Cons
too many
This company is known for being on the bottom of the barrel
Manager (Former Employee) –  New YorkMarch 2, 2013
Unbeknown to me when I went to work out of Purdue for Highgate in 2006, I had chose a company that top hospitality companies think the very worse of. They've earned their terrible reputation from the exceedingly poor manner in which they treat line employees to supervisory to property level management.
They are also very creative in their financial areas which creates discomfort for those working for them. The problem starts at the top and flows down, with most of those at the corporate level being laughable more than evil. I left in 2010 and now work for a great international company. I've met many people who always find it surprising that I was so easily misled to have worked for Highgate at all. Learn from me, carefully consider a company's reputation before employment.
Pros
they pay well because they find it so difficult to attain personnel then keep them
Cons
this company does not value respect for employees and has a terrrible industry wide reputation
Toxic Corrupted Environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Hyatt ArlingtonJuly 27, 2014
Between arrogant (Mr. know it all GM), corrupted Director of HR, and dishonest controller, the property is basically under siege and not a single person from the corporate office is aware of how corrupted and toxic the whole place is. And no one in the property is able to confront the huge wave of corruption. Inequality is the least problem you could face when you work for Hyatt Arlington. The moment you object the corruption in the property, everyone will turn against you and it would be your word against the GM, controller, and HR, so you can imagine what would happen to anyone try to come clean or be a whistle blower.
Cons
toxic corrupted environment
Ever wonder about the 90 -100% AOS Score???
Sales (Current Employee) –  Hyatt ArlingtonJuly 31, 2014
I am done working in this place and I hope before December 2014, I will be out of here. Forcing employees to give management 100% is simply crazy!! I worked in hotels for over 16 years and never been in a place where you are forced to give 100% in a management review AOS. If you decide to come work for Hyatt Arlington, then be prepared to lie and give fake scores, otherwise, you will get in so much trouble with the HR.
Pros
close to metro
Cons
daily unethical behaviors
it was n ok place
Housekeeping Attendant/ Union Delegate (Former Employee) –  152 west 26 st new york, new yorkJanuary 8, 2013
There was no communication skills. A lot of favoritism going on in the work place. I believe as a person that you should always encourage people to do good n give them confidence. People come to this country because there is so much opportunity to progress in life and live a decent life. Just because someone doesn't speak English as fluent as another person, or just because they are from a different country doesn't mean that they do not know the rules or laws. In any business in order for it to be successful especially in the Hospitality business there needs to be team work.
Pros
no pros
Cons
not good managment skills, no communication, no leaderhip
Sales (Former Employee) –  Hyatt Arlington, VAJune 22, 2013
The worse company to work for.. Not company standard at all. There is no employee loyalty, no room for advancement, incompetent managers/cut throat and bud kissers. The hotel 's moral and turn over is very bad. To top it off, we have a new and arrogant GM that think he is Mr. Know it all...

Former employee (Hyatt Arlington).
Cons
No worklife balance. Poor COO.
Former finance employee. (Former Employee) –  New yorkFebruary 26, 2013
Would not recommend to work here. Average pay. Good bonus for working like crazy for a year..
Horrible Management
GUEST SERVICE AGENT (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXFebruary 6, 2013
Front desk management is unexperienced and unorganized. Only in it for personal gain and does not care about any other employees

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Highgate Hotels. Our community is ready to answer.

1.9