Highline Community College Employee Reviews

Professional environment that cares about their community & mission.
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, WAFebruary 16, 2017
Typical Day - Teaching online classes and wielding Canvas (LMS) in creative ways to engage students with e-learning solutions that maximize their learning outcomes.

Areas of growth included - Time Management, Team Building, E-Learning, Instructional Design, Integrated Learning Outcomes, and Video Tutorials.

Management - Staff was always very supportive & helpful.

Culture - A wonderful group of professionals doing what they're passionate about and providing integral support all the way around.

The hardest obstacle to overcome - Designing a curriculum and online classroom that worked for a diverse body of students that have different cultural backgrounds, or come from other countries.

The most rewarding aspect to my job - Watching my students make progress. Seeing their skill-sets grow each week, and making an impact with their personal & professional lives.
Pros
Freedom to do your job
Cons
Needs more staff parking slots
Healthy work environment
English Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, WAFebruary 8, 2017
Excellent place to work, positive environment, cultures from all over the world. Highline college has great programs such as the ESL program that offers English classes to immigrants for free.
Pros
Work ethic
Qualifications
Teacher Aide (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAJanuary 18, 2017
1} Honest, reliable and dependable
2} Able and willing to learn new tasks
3} Punctual and dedicated
4} Hard working and a team player
5} Extremely friendly, people/person and patient
6} Flexible, independent and trustworthy
Cons
Would like to keep, move around and sitting shortly
Higher Learning Excellence and Affordable Event Venue
Event & Venue Manager (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WANovember 8, 2016
The college provides a place for people from all walks of life and cultures to better themselves. Their large student union building is a great venue for weddings and other social events.
Part-time hourly job; it was worth the time for the experience.
Office Assistant II Proctor (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAJune 4, 2016
I felt I was doing well working in Testing for the Semester, I was let go at the end of the semester. I have not been called again. It was a enjoyable experience overall.
One year internship
Network Lab Technician, Intern (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAMay 9, 2016
Was a perfect fit for an internship position where I could use the skills that I learned and put them into use in the same learning environment.
Pros
Flexible, great supervisor
Cons
Only one year internship
Great learning experience
ESL Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAMay 4, 2016
Work with ESL adult students in an apartment complex helping with everyday situations. Various worksheets and activities. Students were constantly being reminded to speak in English. Very rewarding work.
Pros
Meet new people
Cons
Not enough hours
great school
School (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WADecember 9, 2015
very informational, provided all necessary documentation timely. Explained everything in detail. Provided classes quickly.
Internship
Internship (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAJuly 5, 2015
Customer Service going the extra mile. I do filing and take care of income calls. Planning a job fair and did go well. I make sure that all students questions are taking care of and have been directed to the right department.
Great
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAJune 23, 2015
I worked as a receptionist in the tutoring center. Worked very good with school schedule. Job was super easy and could get homework done while getting a pay check. Definitly apply if thinking about it.
Not a good place to work
Security (Former Employee) –  DesMoins WAMarch 7, 2015
I work in the Securit/ Safty Dept for 3 years PT and it was not good no Leadership The Suprvisor was more on spying on you if you stop and talk to the students you were yelled at. They tried to be like police officers when they are just security officers when there was something going down The school played it down and was slow to let staff and students know about it The main thing the dept & school cared about was WRIGHT PARKING TICKETS GET THAT $ there were times that cell phones were taken from students and I was told to go and wright parking tickets and dont worry about the thefts. Then when you did wright tickets and students complaind about you the school thug you under the bus Thay did hire a security Directer and some things changed for a while but I think he was brougt on due to the Homeland Security law that says every bussines needs to have a Emergency plan in place and befor he was hired Highlines was a joke The suprvisor and most of the full time staff needs to go. Start all over with new pepole office staff as well . Stay a way from this job its not worth it low pay no back up THE SCHOOL COMES FIRST THEY DONT CARE ABOUT YOU.
Pros
NONE
Cons
TO MANY TO LIST
Productive and Valuable work experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAFebruary 4, 2015
I had been trusted to handle the transactions and was able to do it successfully. Helping the customers with their questions not only increase my oral skill and communication skill but also my confident.
There were times where the customers gave me hard time but I was able to face them calmly and sorted out their inquiries.
Rewarding job in helping others pursuing higher education
Student Academic Advisor & Member (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAJanuary 27, 2015
• Led high school running start students in preparation of college/scholarship search, applications, and resumes
• Promoted Honors Program in multiple lectures by giving small talk on benefits of pursing higher education as transfers
good
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAMarch 1, 2014
good management i like my co-workers, its typical day at work
Junior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAFebruary 23, 2014
This is where I learned about accounting, vaults, ten-keys, getting along with difficult co-workers, and that one is never too old to work.
The hardest part was leaving after 2 years of service, and I had to transfer to a university, from a junior college. The most enjoyable part of the job was the majority of the employees who were all team players.
Pros
This was a job where I was, constantly, learning.
Cons
I had to leave for a better school.
great enviroment professionally
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 18, 2014
I learned diverse an office can be and how to adapt to my environment to keep my productivity up.
Helping students in their h.w and i really like helping other
A tutor (Current Employee) –  Des Moins,WADecember 27, 2013
I am working as work study in Highline community college. I enjoyed helping other and I fell more confidence in my subject which I tutor for.
Productive Work environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, WADecember 17, 2013
Truly enjoy working for this company, the benefits are great! Staff and faculty a pleasure to work for.
Tutoring Center Lead Assistant
Tutoring Center Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WANovember 3, 2013
On a daily basis I made schedules for tutors as well as staff, sent emails, did filing and copying, and assisted students within the center
Servant leadership
Student Government (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAJune 12, 2013
Working for Highline Community College was a great experience. I learned so much about myself by listening to and serving my fellow students. I had the best supervisors ever!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Highline Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4