Highline Community College Employee Reviews

3} Punctual and dedicated
4} Hard working and a team player
5} Extremely friendly, people/person and patient
6} Flexible, independent and trustworthy
Cons
Would like to keep, move around and sitting shortly
Professional environment that cares about their community & mission.
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, WAFebruary 16, 2017
Typical Day - Teaching online classes and wielding Canvas (LMS) in creative ways to engage students with e-learning solutions that maximize their learning outcomes.

Areas of growth included - Time Management, Team Building, E-Learning, Instructional Design, Integrated Learning Outcomes, and Video Tutorials.

Management - Staff was always very supportive & helpful.

Culture - A wonderful group of professionals doing what they're passionate about and providing integral support all the way around.

The hardest obstacle to overcome - Designing a curriculum and online classroom that worked for a diverse body of students that have different cultural backgrounds, or come from other countries.

The most rewarding aspect to my job - Watching my students make progress. Seeing their skill-sets grow each week, and making an impact with their personal & professional lives.
Pros
Freedom to do your job
Cons
Needs more staff parking slots
Healthy work environment
English Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, WAFebruary 8, 2017
Excellent place to work, positive environment, cultures from all over the world. Highline college has great programs such as the ESL program that offers English classes to immigrants for free.
Pros
Work ethic
Higher Learning Excellence and Affordable Event Venue
Event & Venue Manager (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WANovember 8, 2016
The college provides a place for people from all walks of life and cultures to better themselves. Their large student union building is a great venue for weddings and other social events.
Part-time hourly job; it was worth the time for the experience.
Office Assistant II Proctor (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAJune 4, 2016
I felt I was doing well working in Testing for the Semester, I was let go at the end of the semester. I have not been called again. It was a enjoyable experience overall.
Great learning experience
ESL Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAMay 4, 2016
Work with ESL adult students in an apartment complex helping with everyday situations. Various worksheets and activities. Students were constantly being reminded to speak in English. Very rewarding work.
Pros
Meet new people
Cons
Not enough hours
One year internship
Network Lab Technician, Intern (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAMay 9, 2016
Was a perfect fit for an internship position where I could use the skills that I learned and put them into use in the same learning environment.
Pros
Flexible, great supervisor
Cons
Only one year internship
Work Study Position
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, WAMay 23, 2012
HCC is an excellent company to work for, unfortunately my position is not a full time position. I would absolutely love to work here. Once I graduate I will no longer have this position, this position was provided to help me pay for my tuition. I was fortunate to receive this position so that I could continue to work in an office environment while attending college full time. Everyone at HCC is so friendly and there is so much diversity which makes it an excellent place to work.
Highline Community College is a great place to work!
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAMarch 6, 2013
I was a student tutor at HCC and thoroughly enjoyed helping students with use of both software, including web design, and hardware of computers to help them reach higher proficiency for both school work and future careers. I also volunteered to help with ESL classroom work...this gave me a chance to meet students from all over the world who are trying to make the American Dream become a reality. I worked toward a Certificate in Tutoring in the Writing Center and found it refreshing to help students parse out their thoughts and opinions in written form and to become more adept at the various types of essays in which to express them.
Amazing Staff
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAMarch 13, 2013
Main point of contact for all students inquiring about faculty, classes and schedules.

I learned how to work effectively with all different cultures and native languages.

My co-workers where always supportive, the hardest part of my job was always staying readily available even when I was most busy.

The best part about this job was all the friendship and bonds I made with all the faculty and students.
Pros
flexible schedule around classes
Cons
offered minimal hours
Junior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAFebruary 23, 2014
This is where I learned about accounting, vaults, ten-keys, getting along with difficult co-workers, and that one is never too old to work.
The hardest part was leaving after 2 years of service, and I had to transfer to a university, from a junior college. The most enjoyable part of the job was the majority of the employees who were all team players.
Pros
This was a job where I was, constantly, learning.
Cons
I had to leave for a better school.
Overall a great place to work!
Office Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Campus SecurityNovember 26, 2011
Although I enjoyed working at HCC, I tried many times to advance my career and move into another position. Finally I ended up looking outside the company, because I didn't feel completely satisfied with my position.
Pros
exposure to many different people and cultures, very busy and time went by fast
Cons
working conditions in old buildings, can be high-stress environment
Productive and Valuable work experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAFebruary 4, 2015
I had been trusted to handle the transactions and was able to do it successfully. Helping the customers with their questions not only increase my oral skill and communication skill but also my confident.
There were times where the customers gave me hard time but I was able to face them calmly and sorted out their inquiries.
Rewarding job in helping others pursuing higher education
Student Academic Advisor & Member (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAJanuary 27, 2015
• Led high school running start students in preparation of college/scholarship search, applications, and resumes
• Promoted Honors Program in multiple lectures by giving small talk on benefits of pursing higher education as transfers
great school
School (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WADecember 9, 2015
very informational, provided all necessary documentation timely. Explained everything in detail. Provided classes quickly.
Disappointed
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IowaMarch 11, 2012
I was excited to work for HCC. But no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't seem to fit in. For whatever reasons, I felt set up for failure by my supervisor. I was let go during my probationary period, onl,y to find my spot filled by a temp worker and friend of the supervisor.
Pros
tuition waiver
Internship
Internship (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAJuly 5, 2015
Customer Service going the extra mile. I do filing and take care of income calls. Planning a job fair and did go well. I make sure that all students questions are taking care of and have been directed to the right department.
Easy-going student job
Backroom Stocker/Cashier Help (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, WAMay 23, 2013
This was a student job, so it had no benefits and was part time. It was just what you would expect from this type of job. Not good, not bad. My manager was wonderful though.
Pros
Flexible with the college schedule
Cons
part time no benefits
Great
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAJune 23, 2015
I worked as a receptionist in the tutoring center. Worked very good with school schedule. Job was super easy and could get homework done while getting a pay check. Definitly apply if thinking about it.
Productive workplace
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAJuly 26, 2012
Good place to work. Great experience. I got to work as a receptionist as well as a leader and event planner. I learned about customer service skiils.
Pros
sometimes we got free lunches
Cons
job description is not definite

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Highline Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4