Highline Community College Employee Reviews

Internship
Internship (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAJuly 5, 2015
Customer Service going the extra mile. I do filing and take care of income calls. Planning a job fair and did go well. I make sure that all students questions are taking care of and have been directed to the right department.
Great
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAJune 23, 2015
I worked as a receptionist in the tutoring center. Worked very good with school schedule. Job was super easy and could get homework done while getting a pay check. Definitly apply if thinking about it.
NOT A GOOD PLACE TO WORK
Security (Former Employee) –  DesMoins WAMarch 7, 2015
I work in the Securit/ Safty Dept for 3 years PT and it was not good no Leadership The Suprvisor was more on spying on you if you stop and talk to the students you were yelled at. They tried to be like police officers when they are just security officers when there was something going down The school played it down and was slow to let staff and students know about it The main thing the dept & school cared about was WRIGHT PARKING TICKETS GET THAT $ there were times that cell phones were taken from students and I was told to go and wright parking tickets and dont worry about the thefts. Then when you did wright tickets and students complaind about you the school thug you under the bus Thay did hire a security Directer and some things changed for a while but I think he was brougt on due to the Homeland Security law that says every bussines needs to have a Emergency plan in place and befor he was hired Highlines was a joke The suprvisor and most of the full time staff needs to go. Start all over with new pepole office staff as well . Stay a way from this job its not worth it low pay no back up THE SCHOOL COMES FIRST THEY DONT CARE ABOUT YOU.
Cons
to many to list
Productive and Valuable work experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAFebruary 4, 2015
I had been trusted to handle the transactions and was able to do it successfully. Helping the customers with their questions not only increase my oral skill and communication skill but also my confident.
There were times where the customers gave me hard time but I was able to face them calmly and sorted out their inquiries.
Rewarding job in helping others pursuing higher education
Student Academic Advisor & Member (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAJanuary 27, 2015
• Led high school running start students in preparation of college/scholarship search, applications, and resumes
• Promoted Honors Program in multiple lectures by giving small talk on benefits of pursing higher education as transfers
good
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAMarch 1, 2014
good management i like my co-workers, its typical day at work
Junior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAFebruary 23, 2014
This is where I learned about accounting, vaults, ten-keys, getting along with difficult co-workers, and that one is never too old to work.
The hardest part was leaving after 2 years of service, and I had to transfer to a university, from a junior college. The most enjoyable part of the job was the majority of the employees who were all team players.
Pros
this was a job where i was, constantly, learning.
Cons
i had to leave for a better school.
great enviroment professionally
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 18, 2014
I learned diverse an office can be and how to adapt to my environment to keep my productivity up.
Helping students in their h.w and i really like helping other
A tutor (Current Employee) –  Des Moins,WADecember 27, 2013
I am working as work study in Highline community college. I enjoyed helping other and I fell more confidence in my subject which I tutor for.
Productive Work environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, WADecember 17, 2013
Truly enjoy working for this company, the benefits are great! Staff and faculty a pleasure to work for.
Tutoring Center Lead Assistant
Tutoring Center Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WANovember 3, 2013
On a daily basis I made schedules for tutors as well as staff, sent emails, did filing and copying, and assisted students within the center
Servant leadership
Student Government (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAJune 12, 2013
Working for Highline Community College was a great experience. I learned so much about myself by listening to and serving my fellow students. I had the best supervisors ever!
Easy-going student job
Backroom Stocker/Cashier Help (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, WAMay 23, 2013
This was a student job, so it had no benefits and was part time. It was just what you would expect from this type of job. Not good, not bad. My manager was wonderful though.
Pros
flexible with the college schedule
Cons
part time no benefits
Fun place to Internship
Internship (Former Employee) –  Advising Dept.April 30, 2013
It was very productive. Helping register students for school.
Pros
being around people i went to school with
Cons
no pay
Productive and flexible place to work.
Financial Aid Assistant (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, WAMarch 16, 2013
Create, maintain, track and file student records, data entry, reports, assist staff and students.

Everyone is easy to get along with and a joy to work with.
Pros
flexible schedule.
Amazing Staff
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAMarch 13, 2013
Main point of contact for all students inquiring about faculty, classes and schedules.

I learned how to work effectively with all different cultures and native languages.

My co-workers where always supportive, the hardest part of my job was always staying readily available even when I was most busy.

The best part about this job was all the friendship and bonds I made with all the faculty and students.
Pros
flexible schedule around classes
Cons
offered minimal hours
Highline Community College is a great place to work!
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAMarch 6, 2013
I was a student tutor at HCC and thoroughly enjoyed helping students with use of both software, including web design, and hardware of computers to help them reach higher proficiency for both school work and future careers. I also volunteered to help with ESL classroom work...this gave me a chance to meet students from all over the world who are trying to make the American Dream become a reality. I worked toward a Certificate in Tutoring in the Writing Center and found it refreshing to help students parse out their thoughts and opinions in written form and to become more adept at the various types of essays in which to express them.
Productive and fast work place
Testing Proctor (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, WASeptember 25, 2012
Really fast pase. I learned how to send and receive faxes. Make copies/scan.
Pros
environment
Cons
short hours
Productive workplace
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAJuly 26, 2012
Good place to work. Great experience. I got to work as a receptionist as well as a leader and event planner. I learned about customer service skiils.
Pros
sometimes we got free lunches
Cons
job description is not definite
Work Study Position
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, WAMay 23, 2012
HCC is an excellent company to work for, unfortunately my position is not a full time position. I would absolutely love to work here. Once I graduate I will no longer have this position, this position was provided to help me pay for my tuition. I was fortunate to receive this position so that I could continue to work in an office environment while attending college full time. Everyone at HCC is so friendly and there is so much diversity which makes it an excellent place to work.

4.4