Highline Community College Employee Reviews

Temporary positions do not pay very much
Photo Editor / Manager (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WADecember 15, 2017
This was a temporary position for me, a learning position. I didn't expect much, but I did learn a ton and it was helpful in my future goals. The professors at HCC are wonderful and the people there are such a pleasure to work with.
Pros
People, diversity
Cons
pay
Adjunct instructor
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAOctober 10, 2017
I enjoyed this job but there was very little training on the computer system. I had to find out how to use the computer system via YouTube videos. It was pretty stressful.
Diverse, fast paced and enjoyable
Program Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, WASeptember 11, 2017
Provide customers service via in-person, emails and phone, Answer questions, enroll students, provide direction. Supervise full-time, part-time and work study students.
Pros
I work with an fantastic team, I have a open minded, goal driven supervisor
Cons
Under staffed
Grate Community
Computer Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  WASeptember 5, 2017
Flexible working hours and good and professional colleagues
I love everything about this college even the hills, good for the health esp me. Staff and faculty are friendly and very helpful. I've learned alot and made a few friends. They made school easy and ma manageable. Join a club and expend your experience of culture and life..

Very diverse campus, many international students, bring an open mind and patience as not everyone necessarily shares the same kind of social norms. I found it enlightening but others may find it hard to converse with ESL students (especially online). Some classes are only offered online, it seems more are going this way! You have to be very self-disciplined so I'd prefer that they not be online-only, but it does offer flexibility.
Pros
Flexible sceduals
Cons
low pay
It was a great place to work but I was dong work study!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAAugust 26, 2017
I worked at work force department in Highline College as an administrative assistant. I learnt a lot of stuff from this job. I recommend all brothers and sisters to work at this place. It has a great environment and a lot of good people around you which give you a lot of energy and encouragement. As well as this place is a great place to learn something.
Pros
No free lunch
Continuing education
Student (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAAugust 2, 2017
Remarkable campus with lots of parking. Great teaching staff and access to necessary learning tools with ease. Wide variety of course content and available very good.
Pros
Location, professional atmosphere, adequate breakroom and study rooms available.
Cons
Access from the main street somewhat awkward
great management, no stress
Utility Maintenance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAJune 16, 2017
Work-study job. Management was great and easy to work with. Gained lots of experience revolving around sports facility work. Work was stress free and lightly managed after initial training for work around the complex.
Pros
great manager, fair treatment
Enjoyable Environment
Success Center Assistant (Former Employee) –  Freeport, ILJune 1, 2017
Being a student-worker here was a wonderful experience. I was able to gain professional experience while completing my degree. I wish that I could keep this job after graduation.
Pros
Friendly co-workers and supervisors
Loved working here
Monitor classroom, help assist (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAMarch 13, 2017
Loved working here but it was only for six months program though DSHS. So when the six months were up, I was just going to school and getting ready to have my daughter.
Professional environment that cares about their community & mission.
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, WAFebruary 16, 2017
Typical Day - Teaching online classes and wielding Canvas (LMS) in creative ways to engage students with e-learning solutions that maximize their learning outcomes.

Areas of growth included - Time Management, Team Building, E-Learning, Instructional Design, Integrated Learning Outcomes, and Video Tutorials.

Management - Staff was always very supportive & helpful.

Culture - A wonderful group of professionals doing what they're passionate about and providing integral support all the way around.

The hardest obstacle to overcome - Designing a curriculum and online classroom that worked for a diverse body of students that have different cultural backgrounds, or come from other countries.

The most rewarding aspect to my job - Watching my students make progress. Seeing their skill-sets grow each week, and making an impact with their personal & professional lives.
Pros
Freedom to do your job
Cons
Needs more staff parking slots
Healthy work environment
English Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, WAFebruary 8, 2017
Excellent place to work, positive environment, cultures from all over the world. Highline college has great programs such as the ESL program that offers English classes to immigrants for free.
Pros
Work ethic
Qualifications
Teacher Aide (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAJanuary 18, 2017
1} Honest, reliable and dependable
2} Able and willing to learn new tasks
3} Punctual and dedicated
4} Hard working and a team player
5} Extremely friendly, people/person and patient
6} Flexible, independent and trustworthy
Cons
Would like to keep, move around and sitting shortly
Higher Learning Excellence and Affordable Event Venue
Event & Venue Manager (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WANovember 8, 2016
The college provides a place for people from all walks of life and cultures to better themselves. Their large student union building is a great venue for weddings and other social events.
Part-time hourly job; it was worth the time for the experience.
Office Assistant II Proctor (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAJune 4, 2016
I felt I was doing well working in Testing for the Semester, I was let go at the end of the semester. I have not been called again. It was a enjoyable experience overall.
One year internship
Network Lab Technician, Intern (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAMay 9, 2016
Was a perfect fit for an internship position where I could use the skills that I learned and put them into use in the same learning environment.
Pros
Flexible, great supervisor
Cons
Only one year internship
Great learning experience
ESL Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAMay 4, 2016
Work with ESL adult students in an apartment complex helping with everyday situations. Various worksheets and activities. Students were constantly being reminded to speak in English. Very rewarding work.
Pros
Meet new people
Cons
Not enough hours
great school
School (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WADecember 9, 2015
very informational, provided all necessary documentation timely. Explained everything in detail. Provided classes quickly.
Internship
Internship (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAJuly 5, 2015
Customer Service going the extra mile. I do filing and take care of income calls. Planning a job fair and did go well. I make sure that all students questions are taking care of and have been directed to the right department.
Great
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, WAJune 23, 2015
I worked as a receptionist in the tutoring center. Worked very good with school schedule. Job was super easy and could get homework done while getting a pay check. Definitly apply if thinking about it.
Not a good place to work
Security (Former Employee) –  DesMoins WAMarch 7, 2015
I work in the Securit/ Safty Dept for 3 years PT and it was not good no Leadership The Suprvisor was more on spying on you if you stop and talk to the students you were yelled at. They tried to be like police officers when they are just security officers when there was something going down The school played it down and was slow to let staff and students know about it The main thing the dept & school cared about was WRIGHT PARKING TICKETS GET THAT $ there were times that cell phones were taken from students and I was told to go and wright parking tickets and dont worry about the thefts. Then when you did wright tickets and students complaind about you the school thug you under the bus Thay did hire a security Directer and some things changed for a while but I think he was brougt on due to the Homeland Security law that says every bussines needs to have a Emergency plan in place and befor he was hired Highlines was a joke The suprvisor and most of the full time staff needs to go. Start all over with new pepole office staff as well . Stay a way from this job its not worth it low pay no back up THE SCHOOL COMES FIRST THEY DONT CARE ABOUT YOU.
Pros
Cons
To many to list