Highline Public Schools Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
The district is improving
Math and Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Burien, WAAugust 31, 2017
The Highline School District is making great gains under the new superintendent. She was able to get a bond passed this year to rebuild a high school that is currently housed in a 90 year old building.
District thinks about teachers
ELA/SS Teacher (Current Employee) –  Burien, WAJune 16, 2017
From teaching and learning, Highline makes certain that teachers are taken care of. A great benefits package highlights a well-thought out plan of action for student success.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Can be long hours
Budgets dictate work
Tier 3 Technician, Team Lead/Logistical Support (Current Employee) –  Burien, WAMarch 23, 2017
Until the State of Washington gets their act together and fully fund K-12 education, school districts in general will always be in fear of running into budget deficits. It can be a roller coaster of emotions for any employee about "will I stay or could I be cut"
Pros
GREAT benifits, enough work to always keep busy. Likelyhood of the business closing is NIL
Cons
Incompetent management as with most places.
Human Resources Representative (Former Employee) –  Burien, WAFebruary 2, 2017
Very productive place around work. Very friendly work environment. Provides appropriate and very beneficial job training. A very welcoming family oriented work facility.
Pros
Vacation pay, sick pay, personal time off pay
Growing district
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Burien, WADecember 13, 2016
Highline Public Schools is a growing and diverse district. It is fairly spread out and divided into areas. Class size has not remained low. Some bonds do not pass. Some buildings are old and falling apart. Some isolation is felt from school to school.
Pros
3 recesses per day in elementary school.
Cons
Schools and curriculum need to be updated.
Dedicated staff
Student Success Dean (Current Employee) –  Burien, WADecember 1, 2015
Learned about many struggles of English language learners. Challenging demographics. Engaged learners in spite of difficult challenges.
Organized and productive track and field season
Event Staff (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 28, 2015
The typical day at work was raking down the sand for the next jumper and giving the exact measurement the jumper received. Learning the basics of Long and Triple jumping. Having very sociable co-workers making work time go by faster and more enjoyable.
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
Outside weather
Busy, yet comfortable. Tedious, yet satisfying.
Tier II Technician (Current Employee) –  Burien, WAApril 6, 2013
From early morning to early afternoon, waves of students flood the hallways as I'm greeted by teachers happy to see that I'm checking on the technology in their classrooms. From laptops to document cameras, it's always a busy environment to ensure every device is working correctly. Two years of this passing by has taught me not only valuable information on operating systems, network troubleshooting and computer hardware and peripherals, but also how to engage your clients on a daily basis. Keeping up with mounds of emails and making sure every person is connected to each other throughout both schools is daunting, but if kept on top, it's a breeze. Establishing a trusted partnership with your co-workers is only hard if you display no effort in the work you do. In some cases, a little bit a passion in the daily efforts you squeeze out can go a long way. Even though I'm still a pawn in the scheme of things, I feel like I still have the empowerment for making my voice loud and clear in the meetings that my department conducts. After all, I help make things happen in my two schools and I'm proud of that. So any chance I get, I'm willing to get down to brass tacks to keep the educational value of our school district at it's optimum.
Pros
flexible lunches and breaks, my own offices!
Cons
no mileage reimbursement for travel between work locations
Volunteer Experience
Volunteer Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 22, 2012
Most days started with the teacher writing the day's subject matter on the chalk board, then the students were placed in work groups at the tables. During this experience, I learned the value of lesson plans and the joy of watching student's faces when they realized the could read the book they had chosen for the library basket. The teachers and support staff were very supportive and welcoming.
Pros
good selection of materilas to work with
Cons
i experienced no cons