Highmark Health Employee Reviews

Unless you like working in the Insurance industry, just look elsewhere
Administrator & Developer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 12, 2017
I do not think I have enough time to really put down everything I can here.

But this is an insurance company, they are very micromanaged, and the focus is they "understand" you have a personal life but do not expect management to actually work with you on having a personal life.

I am not talking about taking a day off to enjoy the sun, this mainly includes taking your actual vacation days, or even a sick day.

When you come back, do not expect anyone to have helped out on your workload, and you will find more work piled up. The culture is extremely passive aggressive.

The company culture also punishes you for asking for help with your duties, but will tell you "if you need help, you need to ask". It is a constant confusing communication to you and leads you to just do your own thing regardless of how right or wrong you are.

On that subject, do not expect accountability from management on any level. There is an overwhelming culture of finger pointing and people covering their own butts to deflect responsibility or any trouble they may end up in.

Fully expect to have everything in writing and limit verbal approvals/confirmations as one too many times the person who gave the verbal approval will recant when it suits them.

Your day to day duties will be to achieve as much work as possible, while the workload for one person could be more divided up among 3-4 people to effectively complete projects.

It is also a very cliquish culture, if you are on the outside, do not expect any freedoms as those who are on the in. These people cause 80-90% of the work for
  more... the 10-15% who are actually doing the work.

However, all is not bad. There are certain departments and managers who are worth working for. However I myself and many of my former colleagues have not discovered this and have since moved on from this company.
Cons
Work/life balance, micromanaging corporate culture, get the most done with the least resources, no accountability within management
Graduate Intern - Enterprise Analytics Department (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 10, 2017
Good place to start your career in Pittsburgh.Great gym, decent food cafeteria, work from home ( 1 day allowed), Salary benefits are better as compared to UPMC. Stress is managable
A typical creative day
Creative Director (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 16, 2017
My typical workday starts with several meetings with my creative team to understand what work is swirling around in the department. I have multiple one-on-ones during the day with each team member regarding their individual projects. Brainstorming and creative concepting is a very big part of the day.
Pros
Creative development of the team and their work
Cons
Okay place to work overall
Business Technical Analyst Consultant (Current Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAAugust 16, 2017
The hardest part currently is not being in a true Business Analysis role which is the type of work I enjoy doing the most. The workplace culture is stressful and fast paced, sometime so fast I don't feel like I am learning anything.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Stress
Calm atmosphere
Customer Service Advocate (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 30, 2017
Cool job. Good pay. Could use a more intensive, hands on training period though. Liked the job, hours, pay and my manager. Hardest part is not knowing where to locate information for a member and not having the reliable resources to receive it.
Pros
Set schedule. Pay
Cons
Lack of information
Fast-paced Ever Changing Business
Contingent Worker Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 17, 2017
Highmark Health is a fast-paced, ever changing company. Being in a competitive Market, Highmark is always changing. I have had a positive experience.
Pros
Discounts, flexible schedule, PTO time, Work from home a possibility depending on your role
Cons
Changing too fast, limited chances for advancement in HR, many perks have been lost
Mediocre management and culture
Senior Financial Analyst - HH Forecast & Analysis (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 27, 2017
Unnecessary fire drills, poor communication, ineffective team management. Compensation is good, but depending on who your manager is, be prepared to be frustrated by ineffective communication, which many times makes your job more difficult than it actually would be if communication was better, and management managed team better and appropriately staffed to prevent constant fire drills.
Pros
Salary is good
Cons
Poor management communication makes job challenging at times
I wish i had read the reviews before i started there!
CSA (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAApril 20, 2017
A fun place to work with positive people? Yea someone paid them to write that! High turnover, management is a joke, and a very poor work environment! Work there at your own risk!
Pros
Time off if you can get it approved
Cons
Everything else!
Worst place..stay away
Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 16, 2017
There is no work culture here. Never seen a place where everyone is so frustrated and ready to shoot someone. No processes, no ownership. This ship will sink any day.
Decent Place
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 13, 2017
Depends on your department and your boss. Any job can be great or awesome depending on who you report to/who is on your team. I l do not hate it but cubicle life is not for me.
Fun workplace with welcoming people
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAMarch 1, 2017
Fun workplace with welcoming people. Decent starting pay with good benefits. Fun training environment with a welcoming staff to help you transition into the company.
Sales Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 25, 2017
I enjoyed my assignment at Highmark Health. The environment is quite corporate but you can expect that. I think Highmark has a far better culture than UPMC.
Pros
location
Cons
salary
Good Place
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 11, 2017
Got a chance to work in large environment,

Project is huge to work up on with good number of onshore and offshore technical teams.

Had Been good experience
Great staff and lots of support
Talent Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 2, 2017
The managers are always looking to teach you new things and help you with any problem areas. They are supportive and the work environment is fun. They made coming to work fun
I love my job
IT Analyst (Current Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAJanuary 2, 2017
I love my job; it is my first position within my career, and I really enjoy my days there. Not every day is the same, and I am constantly dealing with challenges that the department that I am in is dealing with. I love my vacation time, and my team is amazing.
Highmark was an excellent place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PADecember 28, 2016
I enjoyed my time working at Highmark. My supervisors had all positive things to say about me. I only left due to my son being diagnosed with leukemia and I needed to be able to take him to appointments and be with him during his illness.
Productive and competitive place to work
Enrollment Representative (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 17, 2016
Highmark is a great place to work with hard-working people and a focus on the customer. Their vision and values are of equality and righteousness.
Would not recommend
Benefits Quality Analyst (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PADecember 16, 2016
Even though the position paid nicely, there was a lack of training, lack of communication, just a lack of overall management skills. Position was eliminated.
Pros
I could flex my schedule
Cons
lack of training
Run from this company and save yourself
Enrollment. (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DENovember 14, 2016
Working for this company was the worst experience I've ever had in my life.....The managers do not care about their staff they write you up for anything and everything there is zero support nobody's on the same page with anything HR tells you one thing managers tell you something else there is no support from management whatsoever. The training is terrible and after having training there is very little support on the floor your days are filled with snotty emails From leads and supervisors. The company is outsourcing all of their work to India there is no job security no chance for advancement.
Pros
Flex time
Cons
Everything else
Diverse and innovative
Associate Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 25, 2016
I have worked for this company for 5 yearsThis is a great company to work for. They promote a culture of diversity and volunteerism.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Highmark Health. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8