Highmark

Highmark Employer Reviews

Extremely challenging
Adjustment Specialist (Former Employee), Camp Hill, PAMarch 25, 2014
Pros: recognition of duties, awards
Cons: production and quality standards
Typical day at work would to prioritize duties, i.e. express scripts, on-line inquiries.
Moved to work under the IBC contract and trained co-workers how to manipulate adjustments under Oscar.
Professional/Productive Work Environment
Enrollment & Billing Specialist (Current Employee), Camp Hill, PAMarch 24, 2014
Pros: flex time
A typical for me at Highmark will consist of recieving inbound calls from brokers, agents and group administrators to ensure their employees coverage is active. While making necesary updates/changes provided by the group or member.
Professional fast growing company
Customer Member Service (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 22, 2014
Pros: team lunches, parties
Cons: short lunches
Team meeting with the seniors on your team. Coworkers we very competitive for the teams. Most enjoyable part of the job was helping the elderly members understand their insurance plans and what was covered.
It's all about your manager
Developer (Current Employee), Camp hillMarch 22, 2014
Pros: perks and pay
Cons: expected to compete with people working 60+
I went from absolutely loving my job as a developer to loathing it when they put yet another level of management in last year. I still enjoy what I do but if your manager has it out for you forget about it. You can't give them ANY reason to look your way.
Highmark was a learning experience
System Analyst (Former Employee), pitsburgh, paMarch 22, 2014
overall not a bad place to work. I worked there as a contractor and my contract run out.
Semi-productive work place with a lot of noise
Business Analyst - Consultant (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 7, 2014
Pros: paid 30 minute lunches. openly listen to music. plenty of helpful hands
Cons: lack of actual training, you have to ask someone who knows the content when you run into something you haven't seen, even though its common pieces of content.
A typical day of work is completely dependent on the amount of work available. Most days this involves asking the more experienced team members if they want any of their piles of work taken away from them.

I learned that being self-sufficient is extremely important because if I wasn't I would have never learned SQL or VBA. Finding ways to improve myself – more... has been an important part of the day.

Management here is a bit of a mess, there are managers everywhere. Each manager has another 2 managers they have to answer to, and the employees and contractors barely ever get to meet their manager, like myself. I've never actually been introduced to my manager.

My co-workers are pretty good people, with a few exceptions of course. Everyone is willing to help when you need a hand and everyone is willing to teach you something new.

The hardest part of the job is the trolley ride into and out of Pittsburgh, it is a miserable cluster of people that either don't speak to each other, or don't know how to talk quietly.

The most enjoyable part of the job is sharing an office with my friend (who I met a few weeks after starting here.) It makes things much more fun since we can make jokes and listen to music, and he also shares my passions and my degree, so we can help each other out with anything we need. – less
Highmark workforce
Application Developer II (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PaMarch 4, 2014
Pros: awesome people, comfortable working with steady tasks
Cons: strict time management
Multiple cultures merged at workplace which allows you to learn all different traits and habits. This led me to learn how to interact with them and showed them my deaf world. I learned various projects while I was in rotation program as such as java application development for consumer needs and front-web development for client uses to view spending – more... accounts. Co-workers are always busy but they are wonderful to work with and their willingness to help are more than enough! Hardest part for me is to have a clear written communication with people because I understand better through visual interpretation (whiteboards, etc.) – less
Overall, I enjoyed working at Highmark
Financial Analyst (Former Employee), PittsburghFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: work life balance was as fair as i've seen.
Cons: high turnover in mid level manageent positions
I really liked the team I worked with on a daily basis. The downtown location was convenient.
Productive and nice work environment
QA Engineer (Current Employee), pittsburgh,PAFebruary 23, 2014
I really enjoy to work with Highmark , I am in claims team keying claims, validating them and resolve suspensions if any, and trigger them and check them in OCWA. Its really challenging because each individual claim is different, it routes to different suspensions once we resolve them again it through another suspension. Its very challenging.
Java Developer (Former Employee), PennsylvaniaFebruary 5, 2014
Highmark one of the largest health insurers in the United States which owns several subsidiaries. The Real Time transaction monitoring Application was developed to enable the users to record the various transaction flows of all the claims and inquiry’s of any transaction.
Productive work environment with friendly employees
Intern - Product Management (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 7, 2014
As an intern I was given more responsibilities as a performed well on previous tasks. Co-workers were always willing to help and recognized you when good ideas were brought to the table. I felt like an employee and not an intern when working for Highmark.
Overall it is a good place to work where you can advance your knowledge and grow.
Employment Associate II (Former Employee), Camp Hill, PADecember 9, 2013
Pros: employee fitness center, 401k company match & various community support programs.
Cons: it can be stressful to balance all the demands in the ever changing world of health insurance.
A typical day is to perform the tasks assigned as well as additional duties. You need to know how to balance your time and prioritize.
Stressful & Horrible Benefits With High Co-Pays
Customer Service (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PaOctober 15, 2013
Highmark made sure they got rid of people that were hired at a higher rate because they were bringing new csr reps in at a much lower rate per hr. And they call it errors, you would get an error for the stupidest thing, even if the error was not yours per say. The leads from the so called help line don't even know the answers to questions you may have, – more... you have wait to use the bathroom until your scheduled break which may be 3 hours after your start time, if you go before then your "out of adherence". This is the worst place to work in Pittsburgh! Good luck to the future csr reps being hired at less than $11/hour. Haha – less
Stressful Place To Work
Accountant (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAOctober 2, 2013
Pros: gym
Cons: no training, poor management
The Manager of my department did not know how to run the department or train at all. People were promoted and fired based on personal bias. If you played the game, you were promoted. If you were honest and tried to fix problems on your job or within the department, you were fired. It's all a huge club. Promotions and raises have nothing to do with how – more... well you perform on your job. If you are looking for a place to hang out and not do much work, this is it! – less
Claims Supervisor
Claims/Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee), Camp Hill, PASeptember 4, 2013
I worked for Highmark for 17 years. I was a Supervisor or claims and customer service. I enjoyed my work at Highmark and meet a lot of nice people.

The benefits were great and the work environment was also good.

I would recommend to anyone to try and get into Highmark.
Good Company
Pharmacy Program Liaison (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAAugust 16, 2013
Highmark is a good place to work, compensation and benefits are decent. Extra perks include an onsite fitness center, health center and pharmacy, tuition reimbursement and more.
Productive and stable work enviroment
Medical Claims Processor (Current Employee), Camp Hill, PAAugust 15, 2013
Pros: flex schedule
Cons: only 7.5 hour work day
Process electronic and paper claims from professional and institutional providers.
Resolve claim suspensions in order to expedite adjudication.
Research internal provider information to insure correct payments of claims.
Contact providers for any missing information.
Fast pace,and productive
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Erie,PAAugust 14, 2013
I enjoy helping people solve all of their issues in one call. I love to help others.
Former Employee
Customer Service (Former Employee), Erie, PAAugust 10, 2013
Top heavy and discriminatory within certain departments. Great benefits if you can manage one of the most stressful work environments. Compared to other companies the pay was not worth the stress the employees were put under.
Horrendous HR and Management and possible racial discrimination
Service Representatives (Former Employee), Camp Hill, PAJuly 16, 2013
Pros: employee discounts
Cons: management, hr staff, crazy policies, training dept, racism, abusive treatment, abusive language and use of profanity. no respect for their emplouees
I was employed at Highmark in the Camp Hill, PA office. I decided to work for Highmark because I heard some people say it was a good company to work for. I had about 5 jobs offers and decided to take Highmark. Well, let me tell you... During training for Service Rep's we met the person who supervises that floor, and she left a lot to be desired. This – more... person would come into the training classroom, upset over what she felt was a violation of company policy and start using profanity, calling people out, humiliating them on the floor. She would also call out the minorities in the group. I soon found out that she apparently has issues with people of other cultures. The hypocrisy of it all is that they make you take a Diversity Course which is require but they themselves do not live it.

Going to HR is a waste of time because they never address the issue at hand, they are experts in sweeping things under the rug.

Needless to say, I have filed a complaint with the EEOC on these matters and hopefully they will be able to get to the heart of the matter in this campus.

All I can say is, if you are considering a career with them, Buyer Beware!!

They training processes are horrendous and the person in charge of that department is worse. – less

1 2 3

About Highmark

Highmark has staked its claim as the largest health insurer in the Keystone state. A licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield – Read more