Highmark Employee Reviews

Very poorly run company that has no regard for its employees
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAOctober 13, 2017
Highmark was a company that was very poorly run, not enough, training, support or accountability. Statistics were not discussed, even though this was score part of one's evaluation. Supervisor interaction was minimal to none. Often leads were over worked due to a shortage. Because of this, employees were asked to go to other employees for help without guarantee that the answer was correct. This situation was made worse by the inability to access systems needed to efficiently perform the job because of errors or random and reoccurant system failures. This lead to higher call times which was a key fracture in one's evaluation.
Pros
Cons
Read above
Good Place to work for
Behavioral Health Outreach Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEOctober 12, 2017
Highmark is a good company to work for, it has its challenges but overall it is okay. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help those in need.
work was easy with minial supervision
Appeals Representative (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 12, 2017
the job itself was easy with minimal supervision. The workload was always too much. A typical work week was always more than 50. The staff felt so much like family. Leaving my co workers was the hardest part.
Pros
unlimited OT
Cons
the unlimted OT was necessary
Too many rules and guidelines that are always changing
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Parkersburg, WVOctober 9, 2017
If we are providing customer service we need to make time for the customers not be timed and scored on how many calls we take. You can’t just answer questions and end the call immediately, especially when we are expected to make calls out to their doctors office to find out about billing issues. That takes time.
Benefits
Cons
Too much focus on timing and no errors
Production oriented department was horrible
Medicare customer service (Former Employee) –  Camp HillOctober 7, 2017
I worked for Highmark in Camp Hill for over 30 years. The first 20 years were very rewarding. I was promoted to several jobs and liked them all. When my position was eliminated I was forced into a customer service department and it was like a different company. Supervisors were rude and nasty. It was difficult to meet production standards. If production numbers went down, there would be a warning, then probation. My doctor told me to get out of that company and put me on stress medication. There was absolutely nothing to like about this customer service department. I requested transfers and pleaded with Human Resources to move me out of that department but nothing was ever done. It was only by the grace of God I made it to age 55. I retired one week after my birthday.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits
Cons
Very nasty management in some areas of the company.
was a wonderful company until the jobs started being offshored overseas.
Senior Technical Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PASeptember 18, 2017
was a wonderful company until the jobs started being offshored overseas. also was then required to make up paid time off due to unreasonable billable hour requirements
Cons
jobs being offshored overseas
Worst Company Ever
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 10, 2017
They do not care about their employees. They over work and under pay. The worst company I have ever worked for. Do not work there especially customer service
n/a
Customer Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 8, 2017
High a great place if you want ti retire and get promoted and stay in customer service. They will place you in a different department only to pay the same amount.
General clerk
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAJuly 24, 2017
I would key in all the missing information on the claims that came threw the system and then send it to the correct department for a Customer Service Rep to take care of them so the provider and patient would be taken care of in a timely manner. Also I would assist in the mail room which consisted of opening letters and sorting mail by departments and sending them to the correct departments to be worked by a Customer Service Rep..
Pros
I like learning new ways of helping the customer
Cons
When direction was not given on how to handle new claim forms.
Overall enjoyable experience
Lead Service Advocate (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAJuly 4, 2017
It's an environment where you're forced to grow & mature because of the constant changes, which has a positive impact on future jobs you may have. The only things that would have been preferred would be the opportunity to maintain your specific position (positions were constantly changing and/or being outsourced), as well as a little more hands-on from (direct supervisors were great).
Pros
gym, cafeteria, mile-long outdoor walkway, discount website, great benefit package
Cons
environment, position & information constantly changing
Focused on Health
Senior Group Settlement Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 22, 2017
Great gym and helpful people to help you get in shape and stay in shape. The work life balance was not in balance. Wanted you to doa lot with little to no time. Took salaried people and made them hourly and then complained when job was not done fully.
Pros
Gym, People, Location
Cons
work life balance, cut salaries to hourly
Not a great place to work
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAMay 17, 2017
Highmark has become basically a sweatshop. Expectations are minimum 50 hour weeks. Benefits continue to be cut. Employees are being left go at a very rapid pace. The company does not value loyalty or experience. This company would only be good for someone young who wants to get some experience on their resume.
Na
Market Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 15, 2017
At this time, I have no review of this organization. I can say that the work life balance is extremely favorable and the job culture is very beneficial for a young professional.
Pros
cheap healthcare
Don't do it!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAMay 8, 2017
You are a number nothing more and they make sure you know it. benefits also are only average and every year get worse. jobs were constantly being threatened over anything. they made so many rules that no one could meet compliance so you kept your job by staying in the bosses good will and they made sure you knew it.
Pros
They give a couple of bucks each holiday to use in the cafeteria
Excellent Summer/School Job
Staffmark Contractor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 19, 2017
My department manager was excellent and worked around my school schedule. Communication was sometimes below par. The work was not difficult which made it an excellent job during the summer and during school but I wouldn't want to continue it as a full time employee.
Began my position at Highmark in medicare claims adjudication and from was offered advancements to other areas of the company.
Medicare Claims Analyst (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAApril 12, 2017
This position taught me the rules and regulations of medicare insurance, advancing me onto quality control. In that capacity, I reviewed and ensured claims were accurate before final processing.
Good team .. productive and work life balance
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  united states of americaApril 9, 2017
Wonderful Team members.
Great support.. good place to work
gain good knowledge.. works on several applications.
Good benefits and salary package was good too
Good Place to work
Associate Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAMarch 20, 2017
Great place to work, room for advancement. Will offer trainings for new systems. Good benefits and pay. Management is knowledgeable and will help you the best they can.
Stay away from tis company.
Customer Service Appeals Representative (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEMarch 10, 2017
Not a good company to work for. Management changes expectations/goals daily without notifying employees. The most enjoyable part of the Highmark experience is the comraderies among fellow employees
Enjoyable work environment with on-site gym
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 8, 2017
Great group of people and enough work to keep you busy throughout the day. Expanded my skillset and was encouraged to learn new thing and continue to grow my role.