Highmark Employee Reviews

Decent Place to Work, Loved my coworkers and supervisor
Customer Advocate II (Former Employee) –  Parkersburg, WVMay 17, 2016
I enjoyed working at Highmark in Senior Markets. Really enjoyed helping the elderly, appreciated the 3 months of training, loved my coworkers and had a great supervisor. Management always seemed willing to help and listen if there is a problem. Also compensation was decent but not great. Health benefits are lacking copays/deductables are way to high even though you play low monthly cost. Downfall, hours are awful, breaks are take from you if busiy and you are forced to work OT, no home life or social life, not much room for advancement or transferring to different areas for other jobs. I had to quit because I could longer manage the hours and balance my home life. Unfortunate because I gave them a year and a half, was great employee with awesome reviews and it didn't matter they wouldn't budge on my hours.
Pros
Decent place to work.
Cons
Not enough consideration given to employee hours.
A company that is experiencing a lot of challenges resulting in a management culture reacting to short term objectives
Provider Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 3, 2016
Co-workers that have been together for a long time are very dedicated to each other despite the constant changes being demanded of them. Because of many management changes there are opportunities for new hirers but the pace will be hectic.
Pros
Great benefits, hard workers
Cons
Shifting management focus.
Awesome work environment - Long Hours
Enterprise Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PADecember 29, 2016
Highmark was a great company for me. I was able to get promotions with hard work and Highmark's on-site University enable me to grow my career within the company. Long work hours but great benefits and pay rates.
Overall, I loved working at Highmark as an administrative assistant executive.
Administrative Assistant Executive (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 17, 2016
I learned everything on the job.
working at highmark has changed over the last couple of years; due to competition in the health market, it was very stressful as an admin because all we did was schedule meetings and everything had to be done right away. I like working hard and getting the job done, but it just seemed like I was a meeting scheduler and not a secretary anymore.
I enjoyed working with the other secretaries on the executive floor. I loved being on the 30th floor in Fifth Avenue Place. it was my dream job and working goal ....
awful place to work
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 28, 2016
long hours, poor management, zero communication from upper management. zero work and life balance. The pay was not great for the amount of work that had to be done. Most people here seemed generally miserable too.
It Was Alright.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Moosic, PAAugust 17, 2016
Job responsibilities included the completion and passing of an 8 week course with regular assessments. Working in a fast paced, high stress office environment. Receiving copious amounts of inbound calls regarding health insurance. Retaining knowledge of policies/ benefits/claims. Etc.. Demonstrate client/customer soft skills regularly. Work competently and independently while also working well with my support staff and assisting coworkers when time was found to do so. Proficiency in multitasking; use of programs such as Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, Access, Powerpoint, Onenote.
Pros
Nice hours, decent pay.
Cons
long commute
Great company to work for.
Tax Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 2, 2016
Great company to learn new job skills, work staff makes going to work each day an enjoyable event. Promotes staff within company.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
During certain times of the year there is not a good home/work life balance
non supportive culture
Analyst (Current Employee) –  5th ave placeJuly 26, 2016
Direct management may be different, organizationally non collaborative, non supportive culture and coworkers

Good working hours and some leave rather early. Depending on the work load during the month.
fastpace
Technical Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Camphill, PAJune 23, 2016
Daily work consisted of meeting, analyzing medical benefits, testing new benefits,, held meetings with customers from other Blue Plans ( i.e. Philadelphia, Delaware) ... Learned time management. enjoyable part of the job ...meeting and working with other people.
high stress
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 20, 2016
learned many aspects of the health insurance industry, great training program. But you have to maintain a high average score on all tests given in a fast paced learning program. If those goals are not reached you will be let go. co-workers are nice, management not quick to share how to achieve your goals, Knowledge is not shared, constant threat of losing your job was a constant . high stress. help and support to excel was not there.
Pros
pay was competitive
Cons
constant threat of losing your job at anytime.
Nice environment
Testing & QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 9, 2016
Nice environment. Work and personal life balanced. Good management. Good compensation. Highly secured environment. Cultural.
Decent place to work
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Parkersburg, WVApril 18, 2016
Multicultural workplace and very health centered place to be. Great co-workers and management that is very helpful with issues a person may have pertaining to job issues. Hardest part of the job was the time constraints linked to the amount of work that was available. The best part of the job was the variety of the workload and the people that could help with that.
I learned a great deal about how the health insurance system works for both private and public sectors in the claims division. It also showed me that to try to make health insurance fit just one style of forms or filing system will be close to impossible.
Pros
Provided company matched insurance services
Cons
High stress job, many jobs sent overseas
Productive and fun workplace with ping pong table
Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 6, 2016
Excellent to work with this client.Management is awesome. I learned here so many new tools. co workers are so cooperative.
Enjoyed my position, people were very helpful and great to work with.
Corporate forms desighner (Former Employee) –  1800 center street Camp Hill paSeptember 28, 2016
Accomplished all my goals and work was always finished to customers satisfaction and in a timely matter. Worked together with the team to achieve all goals and meet deadlines.
I attended classes to learn and improve my ability to learn more about the position to better my goals.
I enjoyed the ability to work overtime to finish deadlines and to satisfy customer needs.
Pros
Provided with a gym
Cons
Traveling
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAJanuary 3, 2017
Highmark is a good place to work. It is a growing organization in the healthcare industry. There is a lot of work to be done. There is not really a good system of helping employees grow their skills.
Great Benefits
CUSTOMER ADVOCATE (Current Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAMay 29, 2016
Good company with great benefits. Flexibility is departmental dependent. Customer service is stressful, but they try to make it better with incentives. Excellent training.
Pros
Many conveniences on site, like a gym, cafeteria, pharmacy and doctor.
Horrible
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAJuly 14, 2016
This is a horrible place to work. Along with the stress of the high paced environment, you carry the worry of keeping your job due to fact that EVERY minute of your time has to be accounted for and they are more worried about the numbers than the compassion and care of their Health Insurance members. This is not an assembly line, it is health care for human beings. This company needs to treat their employees like human beings not machines!!!!!!!!
Lack of Professionalism
Administrative Benefit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVDecember 12, 2015
I feel they need a better training system. I was taught the computer system which was great. However there was so much info that I wasn't taught when I was released to the phones, that it effected my productivity which went against me. There's employees that worked there over 20 years, so it was 2nd nature for them and they didn't really know how to train newbies. I had to make my own manual- I was given a binder and my supervisor printed off all the emails/memos on patient procedures and tasks related to my job. There was a process I didn't get trained on, so whenever I got a call on this process I was told to just transfer them back into the queue, which only frustrated the caller ( I know this because many of those calls came back to my line).
Management could care less about the staff-all they were concerned with were the numbers.
I lasted about 6 months and decided to give a two weeks notice, but it was denied. I was told I had to quit on the spot or be considered terminated.

Although, I've heard the Pittsburgh office is much better to work for- I can't say the same for the West Virginia office.
Pros
Great Benefits, Gym/ Personal trainers on site
Cons
Management and training process
Why I'm applying for a new job
Claims Processor (Current Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAJanuary 8, 2016
A typical day at work consists of having to produce, produce, produce, no talking to anyone, and whatever you do, don't make a mistake.

While I have grown professionally and gained experience, it has gone completely unnoticed. Trying to move up into a new position is like trying to find a unicorn. I have learned hard workers do not get promotions. They become stuck in the same position. When I first started, I was told I could have the world as long as I worked hard. I did just that, and I'm STILL in the same pay grade with no hope of ever advancing.

Management is nothing but a bunch of bumbling fools who have no clue how to deal with anything. When upper management puts unrealistic expectations on production staff, management does NOTHING to advocate. They just say, "Oh, well, it's not worth trying to fight."

My co-workers seem miserable. I'm not a hundred percent sure on that though because most of the time, we are not allowed to talk to one another without getting a nasty look or email from a supervisor.

The hardest part of the job is trying not to lose my mind.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the end of the day.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
terrible work environment, no management support, unrealistic expectations, and constant fear that job will be cut
Customer Service Representative
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAFebruary 16, 2015
Call centers are never pleasant jobs but this is one of the worst. No work life balance. A representative is expected to give up any and all personal time to the company and its customers otherwise, the rep is *disloyal*. Low pay and benefits keep getting reduced or completely taken away. Management has no respect for employees and seems only concerned with increasing the amount of bonus they can expect to receive for pushing employees as far as they can go. High stress and anxiety coupled with excessive work and responsibility. No concept of team because the rep never has free time to interact with coworkers and the promotions are extremely competitive so its very difficult to befriend or trust anyone. I ended up leaving this job because I got to a point where I had to actually take an anxiety medicine to get through my workday. If you have any other job prospects, take advantage of them before you come to work for this company.
Pros
Cons
a daily walk thru your worst career nightmares

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Highmark. Our community is ready to answer.