Hill Haven Nursing Home Employee Reviews

Nursing Home - more like 5 star hotel
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 22, 2017
This small nursing home (121 beds) was a pleasure to work at. I'm sad that new management and union intervention caused them to close. They ran successfully for years under the previous management team and were rated very highly by the healthcare industry and the local community.
A nice place to work
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Hill Haven Nursing Home. Rochester NYOctober 11, 2017
I’ve been a nurse for 30+ years and have seen many nursing homes. This nursing home is very clean and well managed. Typical problems such as low staffing On weekends , etc but no worse then the other area nursing homes. Pay scale is based on experience and is very good. They also offer an “ incentive” pay to the staff on the shifts where the help is really needed. I’m only perdiem so I don’t know anything about the benefits but I don’t hear the staff complaining about them.
Pros
Clean, lots of recreation for residents, incentive pay for short shifts
Cons
Shortage of staff on weekends, a lot of agency staff
Not a good place
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Commerce, GASeptember 19, 2017
Not a good place to work upper management is terrible. It's like high school drama all over again but with old women working together no one gets along the residence don't get cared for correctly. You don't get paid correctly for the hours you work the owner is cheap.
Pros
I liked my residence
Cons
To much drama ppl worried about the wrong things. Don't get paid for your hour shift correctly
New experience for me
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beltsville, MDAugust 30, 2017
I did not like the way some of the staff treated some of the residents. Sometimes the residents didn't eat because the staff rushed them to eat their meals in order to keep up with the time of things
Pros
clean enviroment
Cons
management
A good job but the pay is too low
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Commerce, GAAugust 24, 2017
Hill haven was a good job to get me on my feet- but it was low pay and high insurance cost. It was a steady fast pqced jon which i liked but i worked over time and didnt receive the money per hour that i believed i worked for. Overall a good job and the people were friendly, i loved the patients there and they were friendly as well. I think the job is great it is just small and private owned i am ready to expans my knowledge to another company. I appreciate the time and opportunity that hill haven offered to me but i believe it was just time for me to move on.
Pros
Free lunches
very bias work place.great employees and managers. Supervisors not all good
Envirnmental/Food Services (Former Employee) –  Webster, NYMarch 26, 2017
working at hill haven was a learning experience i had never been in a work environment and received so man bad reviews on the managerial level from current employees before. pay needs to be raised for the labor they want done. work hours given is not good if you are a single parent with monthly living expenses and do not receive any government issued assistance
Pros
ability to pick up hours and train in other departments
Good place overall
LPN Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Commerce, GAFebruary 4, 2017
I learned that things and people were constantly changing. Hardest part of the job was doing all the paperwork and getting the new residents settled in along with having to do your medpass. Co-workers and residents are great to work with! Working weekends are much easier than during the week due to less interruptions. Nurses are expected to have all paperwork and charting done by the end of their shift, granted, regardless of interruptions or happenings during the day and being understaffed. Too much gossiping/rumors go on. Some management welcome ideas by staff members when asked, and others act as if it is a crime that the staff nurses or cna's have opinions.Nurses lunch breaks are always interrupted. Otherwise it is a good place overall.
Pros
Fun activities, co-workers, residents, some management
Cons
interrupted breaks, too much gossiping/rumors, under staffed
Wonderful resident contact and interaction. Expanded understanding of senior living DIFFICULT IN TRANSPORTING RESIDENTS DUE TO POOR STAFFING
Resident Activities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Webster, NYJanuary 28, 2017
Able to plan.and supervise resident activities and partake in special events.Developed a sense of closeness and caring with each resident, .
Pros
Friendly surroundings pleasant residents, enjoyable activities, and feeling of family
Cons
Very difficult transporting residents to and from activities, due to structure of an old facility with few elevators
Floor nurse
LPN (Former Employee) –  Penfield, NYJanuary 25, 2017
You have the potential to gain a lot of experience here. They have acutely ill and chronically ill patients both young and old. You will gain PEG/GT experience, IV experience, Trach care and Vent patients.
Pros
Lots of over time available
Cons
They mandate you to stay if staffing issues
Your co-workers
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Webster, NYDecember 13, 2016
I was surprise about how my coworkers work together as a team. we help each other when things got bad with the residents and staff. We were a family at work.
Pros
reduce lunch
Loving Environment
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Commerce, GADecember 12, 2016
I worked for this company for 1 year, and things were going okay while I was a CNA on the floor. However, once I went into the Shower Room to start working with residents on their bathing, I could never get the help that I needed, which was very difficult for me to perform my job all by myself as I needed the extra help with heavy lifting. I tried for atleast 5 months to get my management staff to get me someone to help me, however they never seemed to have enough people on hand, so after hurting my back I gave up and decided to get out of the nursing field.
Come join the team....No worse than the rest!
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Webster, NYDecember 8, 2016
Hill Haven is a decent place to work overall. They have their pro's and cons as with any nursing facility. They are frequently short-staffed but many attempts to accommodate CNA's are made. I enjoy the staff I work with, the people are pretty friendly. The residents are pleasant for the most part, but due to hospital overflow they have many patients that don't necessarily need a skilled nursing facility but remain as patients there and don't fit in with the overall culture....kind of like RGH's dumping ground. The upper management is very easy going and approachable... there is lots of overtime available on any given day. The pay could be better and more competitive with the rates of other area facilities and the benefits could be more affordable, but overall an ok place to work.
Pros
Plenty of OT available
Cons
Short staffed, Lower pay
Always understaffed
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Commerce, GANovember 28, 2016
CNA to patient ratio never fair or equal. Never enough staff to accommodate. Usually night shift consists of 1 nurse (lpn) to 2 CNAs. Even with maximum beds there wasn't ever enough staff. Patients sometimes have to go without adequate care. Staff has to prioritize.
Variety of patients keep things interesting
RN (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 2, 2016
A typical day includes passing of medications, assisting the aides, restocking the med cart and the patient rooms and any other duties that need to be done. I have learned that multitasking is essential. My co-workers are the best, but communication is key. The hardest part of the job is keeping on top of the admissions and discharges as there are many each day. Enjoy working with the elderly and watching them improve enough to go home.
Loved working here.
CNA (Former Employee) –  Commerce, GAJune 6, 2016
I really enjoyed working at Hill Haven. Sometimes they can be short staffed, but that is not their fault because of the lack of availability of CNA's in the area. Overall though working there it felt like the workers were family.
An organization that has a culture of excellence
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Webster NYNovember 16, 2013
Nursing homes are to be view and operated as a "home" for those that live there, and that’s what we do. We assure that all the residents are treated with the most up most respect and dignity. A typical day at Hill Haven is full of smiles and adventures for all that work there. Team members are owners and maintain the facility as a home not an institution. The management team are also very much involved in the daily care of all residents, from day trips to just a casual conversation. The most enjoyable part of my job is the great stories I hear from our residents and knowing that I make a difference in their lives.
Rehab setting
Clinical Nurse I, Rehabilitation (Former Employee) –  Webster, NYNovember 1, 2013
Fast paced. Supportive staff. Educational opportunities.
Cons
Short breaks
like it there and it good place to work
Cook (Former Employee) –  Webster, NYOctober 1, 2013
good was there in 1981 until 1994 wold like to go back star job there it was fun to work
Pros
cook or prep
Cons
lot in heath care
busy .Many times work with good team members
LPN (Current Employee) –  Webster, NYAugust 5, 2013
I pass meds,do wound care, communicate with patients and their families, other staff members and supervisors.Take off orders.This is a complex care unit,fast and busy unit.Trach patents,cardic,post-op ortho. behavior/dementia patients.. cpr certified .peritoneal certified.
Pros
I like my weekend schedule
Cons
busy, challenging at times
The Management at Hill Haven Nursing Home
Food Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Webster, NYMarch 24, 2013
The management at Hill Haven Nursing Home are without a shadow of a doubt the best group of individuals I have had the privilege of working with. They are understanding, patient, and they make certain that everyone works in a safe environment.
Pros
excellent co-workers, breaks before work begins, resident satasfaction
Cons
healthcare, illnesses with residents, physical examinations