Hillsborough Community College Employee Reviews

Life Affirming but Insecure Profession
Instructor, Department of History (Former Employee) –  Tampa, United StatesJuly 29, 2014
Working at a community college in the United States was a great experience, teaching on university level to students making the transition into a university life from multiple avenues. A typical day at work involved arriving early to check emails and print any materials needed for class that day, giving lectures and seminars for several hours during my teaching hours, remaining for office hours afterwards, and then continuing home where I would grade assignments and detail lesson plans for the next few days.

Teaching there was highly demanding, taking your work home with you and never truly feeling as though you're off the clock, students often calling if they needed assistance or answer emails from earlier in the day. I required constant availability, a true dedication to the craft. Although sometimes draining, see your students engaged in the topic, actively learning and knowing you've improved their lives someone made all that effort worthwhile, making the most grueling and satisfying aspects of the job one and the same. Teaching is more than simply instructing a class, you make a personal investment in the people you're working with and want to do everything you can to help them succeed. It requires a personal commitment and goes beyond merely 'punching in and punching out', long, unpaid hours of thought and effort but when it's over, many of those students know how hard you worked for them care that you gaze them so much. Because of that, they aren't merely satisfied customers but headed to a better place in life. Teaching made me a better person.

My coworkers and managers
  more... were very similar to myself, passionate about teaching, often to the point in which it inhibited their ability to prosper given the lack of financial security the job provides in the US. Everyone I met cared about their students, fellow employees and their craft but were at the mercy of the tight budgets and the constraints of the administration. Consequently, the vast majority of us were poorly paid, had little job security, knowing we could have our hours cut simply because there was no budget for us that semester, and no benefits to speak of. As much as I loved teaching there, I felt it was best to return to the UK and continue a degree, given the lack of guarantees.  less
Pros
great personal satisfaction, autonomy, working with diverse clientelle
Cons
never truly out of work, no benefits, dismal pay
Wonderful work environment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plant City, FLApril 11, 2013
A typical day at work involved maintaining the organization of materials in the reception area, assisting faculty and staff, directing any student inquiries as well as phone calls, and maintaining the queue of students scheduled to meet with advisers and staff members. I learned a great deal about how to appropriately interact with customers/students in a service capacity. The most difficult aspect of the job was having to manage large amounts of student inquires at any given time and learning to assist students who were angry or frustrated. The work environment was very professional, and I was able to form wonderful working relationships with many of my co-workers.
Pros
excellent management, pleasant co-worker interaction
Cons
drastically fluctuating workloads
Relationship with English colleagues very positive, but administration and committee structure not academically supportive.
English Instructor (Current Employee) –  Brandon CampusApril 29, 2015
The regular teaching load for an instructor is 5 classes per semester. This semester I am teaching 4 different courses. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I am with students from 8 AM until 4 PM. Besides the classroom time, the load for grading papers is very heavy for composition teachers. I have strengthened my classroom pedagogical and classroom management skills. I have also developed additional confidence in myself as a teacher. My co-workers are very collegial,scholarly, and supportive. The most enjoyable part of the job is working directly with students and guiding their improvement
Pros
Freedom and flexibility in the classroom
Cons
Heavy loads. Not evaluated on teaching effectiveness but on other criteria.
Good assistance for staff with adequate support
Adjunct Nursing Professor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 18, 2013
This is a good place for a new nursing adjunct professor to start. Staff are helpful, supportive and wiling to guide new staff. Management is helpful but does not micromanage. They encourage new ideas and methods to teach students. The hardest part of the job was saying good bye to the students. The most enjoyable part was watching the students grow from no experience and total fear of the hospital to "baby" nurses, confident in the new skills they had learned. A typical day involved working with the students and guiding them through the basic nursing skills and providing situations that would allow them experience in various aspects of nursing.
Pros
working with the students
Cons
had to teach on saturdays
Avoid HCC
Senior Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ybor CampusAugust 22, 2013
I worked as a programmer analyst from early 2001 through end of 2004. The I.T. department was a joke. There were several very talented programmers there but upper management was absent and completely detached. Middle management was hostile and incompetent. Pay was low but that’s to be expected because it is a county institution and we were actually employees of a vender called SunGard. No sense of security, no chance for promotions. The only positive was the programmers I worked with. They were great.

Avoid this place at all cost.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
everything else
Productive, professional, clean, and friendly work environment.
Assistant Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 15, 2013
Perform clerical support such as greeting visitors, maintaining files, typing letters, telephone registrar. Oversee analysis of incoming routine and controlled correspondence, perform routine tasks such as correspondence filing, data entry, designing flyers, post cards, and brochures for the department. Enter classes and students into the state website that have completed our courses. perform administrative duties, multitasking. Interact with coworkers to assist with customers needing help...
Pros
comfortable work place
Cons
i'm part time w/no health or dental benefits.
Experience and Progress
PROGRAM COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 19, 2015
The typical work day is unchangeable. There are plenty opportunities within the workplace, but no room for growth. Leadership, specifically the department I work in, doesn't really show appreciation for its staff, which is something every leader should have. The hardest part in working for this institution is being able to gain experience in order to move on to bigger and better opportunities. The positive sides to this is being able to change lives, compensating those who wish to have a second chance in being career ready.
Pros
great enviroment, flexiability, job security
Cons
low compensation
An extremely enjoyable job! The best I have ever had!
Reading Instructor Reading Department Head (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 10, 2014
Working and teaching at HCC was a joy. Not only were the faculty members pleasant and professional, but most of the students were respectful and eager to learn! The students had one hour of lecture and one hour of lab. I would assist them in the lab, but they had computer work/goals they needed to complete independently. The classes were small enough to be able to work individually/small group work. The best part was the fun we had learning with lots of laughing!
Pros
the students
Cons
it ended too soon!
Indirect, Rude and Conniving Supervisors!
Staff Assitant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 1, 2014
The hardest part of the job is the undermining from the supervisors. They give you a set of instructions and duties to abide by they don't follow themselves.
Their values they project to follow by are not true. The supervisors were the WORST and extremely petty individuals. The turnover rate is high and I got out the first chance I could get.
Pros
the college outside environment
Cons
indirect, meetings held were pointless, supervisors with top authority, treated you like you didnt go, to college, also obtain the same degree as them. no advancement.
Unreliable, but good experience
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLDecember 16, 2014
Unfortunately, my review is colored by the fact that my termination was handled very unprofessionally. It was purely due to the supervisor's idea that he needed to "take turns spreading the experience around" and had decided that I should only be employed one term. A fact that was undisclosed to me at the beginning and probably have led me to not working there.

Nothing wrong with the company, other than that they allowed him to do that. Hence the low review.
Excellent place for college student to work.
Student Leader (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 14, 2014
I worked as a math tutor at Brandon HCC campus for 3 years. On a typical day I would assist students with their math problems (homework, quizzes, test prep, etc.) in classes ranging from remedial level up through multi-variable calculus and statistics, with the occasional physics student peppered in there.

One's work schedule is highly flexible to accommodate for classes, and the other tutors are, for the most part, math and engineering majors.
Love this job and company
Financial Aide Assistance (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 5, 2014
As a valuable member of Financial Aid service team, helping with following administrative duties:
• Greeting Costumer and signing them in and out, by using “Who’s next” program
• Using “Datatel“ program to answer multiple question about Pell Grants and Loans for college students
• Helping and receiving students documentation for FASFA completion
• Responsible for file room reorganization; purging old files and ensuring quality of current files
• Downloading and scanning documentation in to “ImageNow” program
a warm and enjoyable place to work
Federal Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  tampa, fl 33605November 20, 2013
a typical day started with turning on computers. I learned how to setup the computer for different test given in testing center. The manager was very accesible if a problem arose, Co-workers were very friendly and supportive. The hardest part of the job was monitoring the students activities while taking the test. The most enjoyable was being able to study while working.
Pros
computer access
Cons
not being able to leave testing room
Positive working environment with great staff
Adjunct Nursing Instructor -Present (Current Employee) –  Off CampusJune 29, 2015
Part time position that provided the opportunity to interact and impact students. Very student focus program, fellow instructors were very positive and caring about students well-being and had the desire to see students succeed. Weather it was in the Lab or in the hospital the most enjoyable part of my job was the excitement and the gratitude of each student. Management were very supportive in meeting the needs of the staff as well as the students .
I thoroughly enjoyed working for HCC.
Math Preparatory Lab Associate (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 13, 2014
The managers,staff and professors were a joy to work with at Hillsborough Community College. They are all very understanding, helpful and flexable in whatever situation may arise. I would happily recommend anyone to work there.
Pros
parties, coaching from professors, friendly atmosphere
Cons
it's hard to get the perks that are given to students while on the job.
Excellent work environment fro students
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 3, 2013
The workday consist of printer administration and student assistance with software programs. My coworkers are all looking to advace in their career choices. The hardest part of the job is loosing hours due to the closing of schools for holidays which cuts our pay. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to keep up with our course work while getting experience in the IT industry.
It fun at times.
Financial Aid Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 17, 2015
Productive work place the employee got along and we work very well together. My communication skill improve a lot and learned how to put learned program that the school system was using. The hardest part was dealing student that that would get of hand. The best part was working with my co-works.
Pros
fliex hours
Cons
trying study when there was students around.
Hcc
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 21, 2015
They do not pay for all the work they have us doing. Working for the state is good, but when you see the other county public schools making more money for the same position you doing it hurts. I am single mom, and I don't make enough to have a balanced life, but make too much to get gov't assistance.
Pros
Got own office, don't bother me much
Cons
not enough pay!!!
LOVED this position - Company & Management Family Friendly
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 15, 2015
Even though it was minimum wage and only 20 hours a week the person i worked for made it worth it. AMAZING and missed very much. Grading papers, organization, office work.
Pros
awesome supervisor, worked with my schedule, saved gas - work and class on campus
Cons
once graduate employment had to end, low pay -low hours
Academic Success Center
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 22, 2012
Well at work I sit in the front signing in and out students to our tutor center. Assisting students with whatever they need, and making sure everything is under control. Its fun working there at times especially when my favorite co-workers are there. There isn't anything hard about the job.
Pros
free coffee, meeting new students, making new friends
Cons
not enough hours