Hillsborough Community College Employee Reviews

Easygoing, but still teaches valuable administrative and social skills.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brandon, FLJuly 26, 2017
A simple and honestly very slow job, at least for my department, which is the Academic Affairs building. At times things would be a bit hectic when it came to student concerns. But overall not much happened truthfully.
Productive and supportive environment.
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Ruskin, FLJuly 20, 2017
A typical day is helping instructions have smooth lectures or labs. You'll see students rushing to class, studying in the lobby or taking breaks. For the most part management is on point with their duties helping the employees with minor or major issues. We have a variety of all cultures here, very welcoming. The hardest part about my job is when my assistance is being pulled by many people at once on demand attention. The most enjoyable part of my job loving what I do. I'm constantly learning and shadowing in all departments especially chemistry.
Pros
Extra Tutoring, great break room.
Cons
Part time recieves no benefits.
I work here just because it is not complicated
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 19, 2017
This is one of the worse managed colleges. The president received a vote of no confidence, yet he refuses to resign. The president was arrested for DUI, and nothing is done. The adjuncts have the lowest pay of any school. They tried to intimidate the adjuncts from forming a union, which was successful.
Pros
It is easy due to having been there so long.
Cons
Everything else: low pay, no respect, no concern for adjunct faculty.
Easy
Anatomy and Physiology Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 13, 2017
Hillsborough Community College is not a bad place to work when it comes to looking at the overall picture, I am able to get my work done and have the time I need for school along with it.
HCC is a good plave to work but has low pay.
Part-Time English Instructor and Writing Tutor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 20, 2017
HCC is a great place to work. However, its part-time faculty have no job security, and the pay for part-time staff is lower than most schools in the area.
Work place is steady
Academic Advising (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 19, 2017
Great job overall, just pays very poorly. Job has great benefits and the management is great. Perks with the time off, because you get the same time off as the students.
IT Trainer
Lead Instructor/Course Developer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 16, 2017
• Prepared lectures and labs for A+ , Net+ and Wireless tracks
• Instructed A+ Tear down and build up-of machines and parts
• Led software trouble-shooting with real world issues
• Performed wireless setup and troubleshooting
• Reviewed networking concepts and troubleshooting tools
• Assisted in creating lesson plans for other instructors
• Instructed night classes (full-time position at EduTech/FCC during the day)
Insane work-life benefits. That's about it.
Tampa - Professor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 4, 2017
We had a lot of freedom to do things as needed. That being said, administration was poor, or at least upper admin was. Raises were non-existent, salary is not keeping with cost of living adjustment.
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLMay 30, 2017
Typical day included software installation, installing equipment, assisting students with assignments, cleaning up computer lab, interacting with students.
Accounting Instructor
Accounting Instructor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 24, 2017
Community College. Taught business courses, so it had less of an academic feel, since the students taught were being trained for immediate employment. Enjoyed the interaction with students and other faculty, including faculty in other academic areas. Staff and Administration supportive. However, funding left me to find and pay for software and training materials out of pocket.
Pros
Summer time free to pursue other interests
Cons
Schedule can include evenings and weekends
Okay place to work
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Dale MabryMay 22, 2017
A lot of manual work; lots of reviewing and auditing your work. Most people are pleasure to work with and put forth a team effort. Most enjoyable part is the time off.
Best job ever
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 10, 2017
I enjoyed my time working there by far the best job. Wonderful work environment staff was amazing and the school has the most caring people from staff, professors and the cleaning department.
Pros
loved working there
Enjoy working here.
Adjunct Computer Science Instructor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 2, 2017
I have worked at HCC for many years and truly enjoy it. The people are great and they have lots of options for employment if you want to move around. They value employee work life balance too.
Great place to collect a paycheck from
Office of Information Technology Technician (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 24, 2017
Its a great place to collect a paycheck form. The benefits are pretty good and the time off is unmatched. Most of your day is spent on politics. Do your job, keep your head down, and you'll do fine.
Pros
Time Off
Cons
Peers & Politics
Temporary Assignment
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 17, 2017
I was only there a few months. The people I worked with were great and the work was challenging. I created a Power Point presentation for the Executive I worked with and helped get her files in order.
Spiritual Growth
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 14, 2017
I was able to have some spiritual growth while there. I started there as a volunteer and then became a staff member. Once I started volunteering in the "Media Arts Ministry", I realized what I wanted to do and went to get a degree in that.
Productive and fun workplace
Academic Records Associate (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 30, 2017
The most enjoyable part of my job at HCC is being able to help students, faculty and staff understand the intricacies of proper transcript evaluations
Pros
Excellent benefits and paid time off
Great School
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 4, 2017
I thoroughly enjoy working here. The pay is as you would expect of an educator, but the culture is great. We have great leadership & fantastic students.
Pros
All good
Cons
None really
Accountant Accounts Payable
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 23, 2017
I was responsible for around 150 companies that contract with HCC.
Also, I reimbursed Professors for travel expenses related to their jobs. I posted check disbursements into system then classified into batches of like 20 checks. I always kept my desk clean. What ever came in for the day, I processed it unless any information was needed. We were a melting pot at HCC, I like this atmosphere. Some latinos, some blacks, and some whites. I made some friends for life.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Pay ok
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FL 33614November 29, 2016
Aside from the normal politics in higher education, the college was a great fun and relaxed place to work. Management was great, and the only thing bad about the job was that it did not pay well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hillsborough Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2