Hillsborough Community College Employee Reviews

Calm and relaxing workplace
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 21, 2016
Having the chance to do work study on campus was the best. It coincided perfectly with my personal life, and when work was slow, I had the opportunity to study for my classes.
Pros
Amazing Supervisor
Cons
Very limited on hours, no raises
Great workplace and helps develop students
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 24, 2016
In a typical work day it is my job to assist student with the right information in order for them to graduate and move on to the University. My co-workers are fine but when I am working I try to focus on the students and making sure they have a great experience along with succeeding in completion for their studies.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Wages could be better
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FL 33614November 29, 2016
Aside from the normal politics in higher education, the college was a great fun and relaxed place to work. Management was great, and the only thing bad about the job was that it did not pay well.
Great job!
Federal Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ruskin, FLAugust 2, 2016
I worked as a Federal Government Student Assistant. I was placed in the financial aid office to assist and guide new students the best I could wile filing confidential paperwork.

This job is very easy going with lovely staff that make you feel you are always welcome.

I recommend working here. They work around YOUR school schedule! Very flexible and rewarding as you become closer with other school staff.
Pros
Welcoming, very laid back, easy work, LOTS of FREE TIME, they willingly work around your school schedule
Cons
Minimum wage, can get boring some days
I loved it here!
Computer Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 8, 2016
Everybody was great and supportive! We became a family while working here. There was plenty of work to do, you met great individuals daily, benefits, and you were rewarded well for hard work.
Experience and Progress
PROGRAM COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 19, 2015
The typical work day is unchangeable. There are plenty opportunities within the workplace, but no room for growth. Leadership, specifically the department I work in, doesn't really show appreciation for its staff, which is something every leader should have. The hardest part in working for this institution is being able to gain experience in order to move on to bigger and better opportunities. The positive sides to this is being able to change lives, compensating those who wish to have a second chance in being career ready.
Pros
Great Enviroment, Flexiability, Job Security
Cons
Low Compensation
Great hands-on experience and agreeable staff
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 13, 2016
Working at this location on a typical day could be relaxing at some points and then quickly change to many different jobs needing attention at once. It was a fun environment to work in and there was so much to learn everyday. I learned about proper hazardous waste disposal, various media in conjunction with bacteria including agar plates and slants, and I even learned about different chemicals used and how they're made. My co-workers were very nice and helpful for the most part. The hardest part about the job was making sure everyone had everything they needed at the same time. I was running two different labs at once that sometimes had same-time lectures, so that made it a bit stressful giving help to both. It was like trying to be in two places at once. I mostly enjoyed the overall work environment and the helpfulness of the staff and my co-workers.
Pros
comfortable work environment
Cons
low pay
Excellent place to work/great environment
Supervisor of Admissions (Former Employee) –  YborOctober 19, 2015
The college is an excellent place to work - great benefits, great time off and a good environment. Enjoyed my years of service at the college.
Pros
Time off and educational benefits
Cons
Ocassionally some Saturday work
Organization of good people
Student Services (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 21, 2016
The staff is wonderful. Overall, they care about the students and do a very good job. Pay is not great but time off is nice. Did not really see much room to grow professionally despite lots of years of experience in higher education.
Pros
Holidays, time off
Cons
Subpar pay, very little opportunity to advance
A great place to learn new things.
Personal Assistant (notetaker) (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 13, 2016
As a Notetaker I was paid to attend college courses and take notes for disabled students. It was a wonderful learning opportunity considering since I was able to attend 6-9 classes a semester.
Hardest part of the job was taking everything down when the instructor uses kinetic learning or class discussion for their lessons. the best part was how much I learned though.
Pros
"free" college courses
Cons
no credits for the courses
Productive, professional, clean, and friendly work environment.
Assistant Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 15, 2013
Perform clerical support such as greeting visitors, maintaining files, typing letters, telephone registrar. Oversee analysis of incoming routine and controlled correspondence, perform routine tasks such as correspondence filing, data entry, designing flyers, post cards, and brochures for the department. Enter classes and students into the state website that have completed our courses. perform administrative duties, multitasking. Interact with coworkers to assist with customers needing help...
Pros
comfortable work place
Cons
i'm part time w/no health or dental benefits.
Great place to work.
Hillsborough Community College Gym (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 6, 2016
Other than attending school at this college, I enjoy working here. My boss is very nice and helpful, the other employees are great, the environment is nice. My job at HCC is supervising the gym,checking the school ID's from students who would like to workout and making sure they sign in and out to keep a record of everyone who enters the gym. I like to interact with people so that's a plus, there is really no hard part about my job, I enjoy being there.
Great place to work, salary is low
Student Services & Enrollment Analyst (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 30, 2015
Great place to work, salary is low. Work life balance is outstanding. Time off for school if you have young kids is outstanding. Health insurance is a plus.
Helped Veterans
VA Work Study (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 10, 2015
Had the opportunity to help Veterans who wanted to use their education benefits. From helping them understand their benefits to answering and questions or concerns they might have.
Love the environment
Allied Health Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tampa FloridaJanuary 26, 2015
Working with students and instructors to ensure that all supplies and materials are ready for classes. Inventory of books, materials and enrollment documents for prospective students. The most enjoyable part of my day is communicating with the students. My co-workers are fun people to be around.
Pros
Fun people to work with
Cons
Salary is on the very low pay range
productive environment to work .
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 14, 2012
Hillsborough Community College is pretty relax place to work. No pressure and no hassle usually happens. the down part is the career advancement and the pay. for somebody going to college for 4 years you get a really low salary.
Selfish
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 22, 2016
Most upper level administration are selfish and dont rightly care about the students. I really dont see how they are allowed to operate in the manor they do.
Great Employer
Sciences Faculty - Undergraduate Allied Health (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 21, 2016
Great place to work. Nice staff and faculty

Great Pay

Central Location

High on Technology

Students are eager to learn and get along with faculty
Nice place to work
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  FLJune 23, 2014
Work with students daily and interact with coworkers. Interact with different departments daily such as Advising, financial aid, and VA. I enjoy working with the students and the atmosphere of student services.
Benefits
Cons
Hard to advance
It is a great place to have a part time job and supplemental salary.
instructor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 11, 2016
It is a part time job that is very fun and I love working there. However, lately, there has been less job security over the years. It is not a good thing not knowing if you have a job semester by semester.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hillsborough Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2