Hillsborough Community College

Hillsborough Community College Employer Reviews

Great!
Bilingual Services Tutor (Current Employee), Brandon, FLDecember 1, 2014
Wonderful work environment. Great staff/students. I really enjoyed this job. It's so great to be able to give to those who are so appreciative.
Love this job and company
Financial Aide Assistance (Current Employee), Tampa, FLNovember 5, 2014
As a valuable member of Financial Aid service team, helping with following administrative duties:
• Greeting Costumer and signing them in and out, by using “Who’s next” program
• Using “Datatel“ program to answer multiple question about Pell Grants and Loans for college students
• Helping and receiving students documentation for FASFA completion
• Responsible – more... for file room reorganization; purging old files and ensuring quality of current files
• Downloading and scanning documentation in to “ImageNow” program – less
Unproductive work place
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Tampa, FLOctober 26, 2014
Pros: learning office setting
Cons: very very slow
Very, very quit, not task given to performed or to better the center. Learn general office skills. Management very flexible, but poor handling tasks to give its employees. Co workers nice. Hardest part having not much to do. Helping student to perform job searchers and building resume techniques.
College environment. Laid back and quiet for the most part.
CASHIER (Former Employee), Tampa, FloridaOctober 17, 2014
Pros: free books, connections within the school system.
Cons: little pay.
A typical work day consisted of running a cash register, counting in new inventory, selling books, and some janitorial duties.
Friendly and supportive environment.
Academic Success Center ESOL/EAP Tutor (Current Employee), Tampa, FLSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: great atmosphere.
Cons: i need more money.
Typically I come into work prepared to help students who have made tutoring appointments with me. The front desk gives me my appointments for the day. I get my iPad and begin.
internship
Customer Service (Former Employee), Brandon, FLSeptember 17, 2014
Pros: no comment
Cons: no comment
This was a great intership position allowing time to work and attend school.
Great fun job
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee), Tampa, FLSeptember 14, 2014
A typical day at work was getting there on-time, counting my register and getting ready to receive the students that were ready to buy their books to start their semester. It was a seasonal job for their busy season that's why I am no longer employed with them.
An extremely enjoyable job! The best I have ever had!
Reading Instructor Reading Department Head (Former Employee), Tampa, FLSeptember 10, 2014
Pros: the students
Cons: it ended too soon!
Working and teaching at HCC was a joy. Not only were the faculty members pleasant and professional, but most of the students were respectful and eager to learn! The students had one hour of lecture and one hour of lab. I would assist them in the lab, but they had computer work/goals they needed to complete independently. The classes were small enough – more... to be able to work individually/small group work. The best part was the fun we had learning with lots of laughing! – less
Secreterial
Student Assistant (Former Employee), Plant City, FLAugust 30, 2014
Helping the faculty with preparing study plans. Very good school environment. people there really care.
I thoroughly enjoyed working for HCC.
Math Preparatory Lab Associate (Former Employee), Tampa, FLAugust 13, 2014
Pros: parties, coaching from professors, friendly atmosphere
Cons: it's hard to get the perks that are given to students while on the job.
The managers,staff and professors were a joy to work with at Hillsborough Community College. They are all very understanding, helpful and flexable in whatever situation may arise. I would happily recommend anyone to work there.
Productive Job
Student Assistant (Former Employee), Tampa, FLAugust 11, 2014
I helped students daily, so I'm used to dealing with people. My co-workers were really nice. The most enjoyable thing about the job was, the fact that I got to work and meet nice people daily.
Life Affirming but Insecure Profession
Instructor, Department of History (Former Employee), Tampa, United StatesJuly 29, 2014
Pros: great personal satisfaction, autonomy, working with diverse clientelle
Cons: never truly out of work, no benefits, dismal pay
Working at a community college in the United States was a great experience, teaching on university level to students making the transition into a university life from multiple avenues. A typical day at work involved arriving early to check emails and print any materials needed for class that day, giving lectures and seminars for several hours during – more... my teaching hours, remaining for office hours afterwards, and then continuing home where I would grade assignments and detail lesson plans for the next few days.

Teaching there was highly demanding, taking your work home with you and never truly feeling as though you're off the clock, students often calling if they needed assistance or answer emails from earlier in the day. I required constant availability, a true dedication to the craft. Although sometimes draining, see your students engaged in the topic, actively learning and knowing you've improved their lives someone made all that effort worthwhile, making the most grueling and satisfying aspects of the job one and the same. Teaching is more than simply instructing a class, you make a personal investment in the people you're working with and want to do everything you can to help them succeed. It requires a personal commitment and goes beyond merely 'punching in and punching out', long, unpaid hours of thought and effort but when it's over, many of those students know how hard you worked for them care that you gaze them so much. Because of that, they aren't merely satisfied customers but headed to a better place in life. Teaching made me a better person.

My coworkers and managers were very similar to myself, passionate about teaching, often to the point in which it inhibited their ability to prosper given the lack of financial security the job provides in the US. Everyone I met cared about their students, fellow employees and their craft but were at the mercy of the tight budgets and the constraints of the administration. Consequently, the vast majority of us were poorly paid, had little job security, knowing we could have our hours cut simply because there was no budget for us that semester, and no benefits to speak of. As much as I loved teaching there, I felt it was best to return to the UK and continue a degree, given the lack of guarantees. – less
Nice place to work
Coordinator (Current Employee), FLJune 23, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: hard to advance
Work with students daily and interact with coworkers. Interact with different departments daily such as Advising, financial aid, and VA. I enjoy working with the students and the atmosphere of student services.
fast pace and great coworkers
Secretary (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJune 16, 2014
HCC is a fast pace and fun environment to work in. Great management and occasional room for advancement.
Excellent place for college student to work.
Student Leader (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJune 14, 2014
I worked as a math tutor at Brandon HCC campus for 3 years. On a typical day I would assist students with their math problems (homework, quizzes, test prep, etc.) in classes ranging from remedial level up through multi-variable calculus and statistics, with the occasional physics student peppered in there.

One's work schedule is highly flexible to – more... accommodate for classes, and the other tutors are, for the most part, math and engineering majors. – less
good pace to work
Library Assistant (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJune 2, 2014
informational support to the students and graduation are well prepared
Fun and very interactive
Pt. Technician (Former Employee), Tampa FLMay 25, 2014
Worked with students helping them get enrolled into school or helping them with their financial aid. Return to Title IV
An excellent group of educational professionals
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee), South Shore CampusMay 4, 2014
Pros: professional training is available
Cons: in transition as common core standard come into play in florida
The campus is well run and accommodating to all students. I enjoy the campus and working with the faculty.
Okay
IT Technician (Current Employee), Tampa, FLApril 4, 2014
Working here is like any other typical job in IT. You come in, you do your work to the best of your ability and you go home
Indirect, Rude and Conniving Supervisors!
Staff Assitant (Former Employee), Tampa, FLApril 1, 2014
Pros: the college outside environment
Cons: indirect, meetings held were pointless, supervisors with top authority, treated you like you didnt go, to college, also obtain the same degree as them. no advancement.
The hardest part of the job is the undermining from the supervisors. They give you a set of instructions and duties to abide by they don't follow themselves.
Their values they project to follow by are not true. The supervisors were the WORST and extremely petty individuals. The turnover rate is high and I got out the first chance I could get.

1 2 3