Hillsborough Community College Employee Reviews

HCC is a good plave to work but has low pay.
Part-Time English Instructor and Writing Tutor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 20, 2017
HCC is a great place to work. However, its part-time faculty have no job security, and the pay for part-time staff is lower than most schools in the area.
Work place is steady
Academic Advising (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 19, 2017
Great job overall, just pays very poorly. Job has great benefits and the management is great. Perks with the time off, because you get the same time off as the students.
IT Trainer
Lead Instructor/Course Developer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 16, 2017
• Prepared lectures and labs for A+ , Net+ and Wireless tracks
• Instructed A+ Tear down and build up-of machines and parts
• Led software trouble-shooting with real world issues
• Performed wireless setup and troubleshooting
• Reviewed networking concepts and troubleshooting tools
• Assisted in creating lesson plans for other instructors
• Instructed night classes (full-time position at EduTech/FCC during the day)
Insane work-life benefits. That's about it.
Tampa - Professor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 4, 2017
We had a lot of freedom to do things as needed. That being said, administration was poor, or at least upper admin was. Raises were non-existent, salary is not keeping with cost of living adjustment.
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLMay 30, 2017
Typical day included software installation, installing equipment, assisting students with assignments, cleaning up computer lab, interacting with students.
Accounting Instructor
Accounting Instructor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 24, 2017
Community College. Taught business courses, so it had less of an academic feel, since the students taught were being trained for immediate employment. Enjoyed the interaction with students and other faculty, including faculty in other academic areas. Staff and Administration supportive. However, funding left me to find and pay for software and training materials out of pocket.
Pros
Summer time free to pursue other interests
Cons
Schedule can include evenings and weekends
Okay place to work
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Dale MabryMay 22, 2017
A lot of manual work; lots of reviewing and auditing your work. Most people are pleasure to work with and put forth a team effort. Most enjoyable part is the time off.
Best job ever
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 10, 2017
I enjoyed my time working there by far the best job. Wonderful work environment staff was amazing and the school has the most caring people from staff, professors and the cleaning department.
Pros
loved working there
Enjoy working here.
Adjunct Computer Science Instructor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 2, 2017
I have worked at HCC for many years and truly enjoy it. The people are great and they have lots of options for employment if you want to move around. They value employee work life balance too.
Great place to collect a paycheck from
Office of Information Technology Technician (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 24, 2017
Its a great place to collect a paycheck form. The benefits are pretty good and the time off is unmatched. Most of your day is spent on politics. Do your job, keep your head down, and you'll do fine.
Pros
Time Off
Cons
Peers & Politics
Temporary Assignment
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 17, 2017
I was only there a few months. The people I worked with were great and the work was challenging. I created a Power Point presentation for the Executive I worked with and helped get her files in order.
Spiritual Growth
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 14, 2017
I was able to have some spiritual growth while there. I started there as a volunteer and then became a staff member. Once I started volunteering in the "Media Arts Ministry", I realized what I wanted to do and went to get a degree in that.
Productive and fun workplace
Academic Records Associate (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 30, 2017
The most enjoyable part of my job at HCC is being able to help students, faculty and staff understand the intricacies of proper transcript evaluations
Pros
Excellent benefits and paid time off
Great School
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 4, 2017
I thoroughly enjoy working here. The pay is as you would expect of an educator, but the culture is great. We have great leadership & fantastic students.
Pros
All good
Cons
None really
Accountant Accounts Payable
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 23, 2017
I was responsible for around 150 companies that contract with HCC.
Also, I reimbursed Professors for travel expenses related to their jobs. I posted check disbursements into system then classified into batches of like 20 checks. I always kept my desk clean. What ever came in for the day, I processed it unless any information was needed. We were a melting pot at HCC, I like this atmosphere. Some latinos, some blacks, and some whites. I made some friends for life.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Pay ok
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FL 33614November 29, 2016
Aside from the normal politics in higher education, the college was a great fun and relaxed place to work. Management was great, and the only thing bad about the job was that it did not pay well.
Calm and relaxing workplace
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 21, 2016
Having the chance to do work study on campus was the best. It coincided perfectly with my personal life, and when work was slow, I had the opportunity to study for my classes.
Pros
Amazing Supervisor
Cons
Very limited on hours, no raises
Great job!
Federal Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ruskin, FLAugust 2, 2016
I worked as a Federal Government Student Assistant. I was placed in the financial aid office to assist and guide new students the best I could wile filing confidential paperwork.

This job is very easy going with lovely staff that make you feel you are always welcome.

I recommend working here. They work around YOUR school schedule! Very flexible and rewarding as you become closer with other school staff.
Pros
Welcoming, very laid back, easy work, Lots of free time, they willingly work around your school schedule
Cons
Minimum wage, can get boring some days
Organization of good people
Student Services (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 21, 2016
The staff is wonderful. Overall, they care about the students and do a very good job. Pay is not great but time off is nice. Did not really see much room to grow professionally despite lots of years of experience in higher education.
Pros
Holidays, time off
Cons
Subpar pay, very little opportunity to advance
A great place to learn new things.
Personal Assistant (notetaker) (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 13, 2016
As a Notetaker I was paid to attend college courses and take notes for disabled students. It was a wonderful learning opportunity considering since I was able to attend 6-9 classes a semester.
Hardest part of the job was taking everything down when the instructor uses kinetic learning or class discussion for their lessons. the best part was how much I learned though.
Pros
"free" college courses
Cons
no credits for the courses

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hillsborough Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2