Hillsborough Community College

Hillsborough Community College Employer Reviews

I thoroughly enjoyed working for HCC.
Math Preparatory Lab Associate (Former Employee), Tampa, FLAugust 13, 2014
Pros: parties, coaching from professors, friendly atmosphere
Cons: it's hard to get the perks that are given to students while on the job.
The managers,staff and professors were a joy to work with at Hillsborough Community College. They are all very understanding, helpful and flexable in whatever situation may arise. I would happily recommend anyone to work there.
Productive Job
Student Assistant (Former Employee), Tampa, FLAugust 11, 2014
I helped students daily, so I'm used to dealing with people. My co-workers were really nice. The most enjoyable thing about the job was, the fact that I got to work and meet nice people daily.
Life Affirming but Insecure Profession
Instructor, Department of History (Former Employee), Tampa, United StatesJuly 29, 2014
Pros: great personal satisfaction, autonomy, working with diverse clientelle
Cons: never truly out of work, no benefits, dismal pay
Working at a community college in the United States was a great experience, teaching on university level to students making the transition into a university life from multiple avenues. A typical day at work involved arriving early to check emails and print any materials needed for class that day, giving lectures and seminars for several hours during – more... my teaching hours, remaining for office hours afterwards, and then continuing home where I would grade assignments and detail lesson plans for the next few days.

Teaching there was highly demanding, taking your work home with you and never truly feeling as though you're off the clock, students often calling if they needed assistance or answer emails from earlier in the day. I required constant availability, a true dedication to the craft. Although sometimes draining, see your students engaged in the topic, actively learning and knowing you've improved their lives someone made all that effort worthwhile, making the most grueling and satisfying aspects of the job one and the same. Teaching is more than simply instructing a class, you make a personal investment in the people you're working with and want to do everything you can to help them succeed. It requires a personal commitment and goes beyond merely 'punching in and punching out', long, unpaid hours of thought and effort but when it's over, many of those students know how hard you worked for them care that you gaze them so much. Because of that, they aren't merely satisfied customers but headed to a better place in life. Teaching made me a better person.

My coworkers and managers were very similar to myself, passionate about teaching, often to the point in which it inhibited their ability to prosper given the lack of financial security the job provides in the US. Everyone I met cared about their students, fellow employees and their craft but were at the mercy of the tight budgets and the constraints of the administration. Consequently, the vast majority of us were poorly paid, had little job security, knowing we could have our hours cut simply because there was no budget for us that semester, and no benefits to speak of. As much as I loved teaching there, I felt it was best to return to the UK and continue a degree, given the lack of guarantees. – less
Nice place to work
Coordinator (Current Employee), FLJune 23, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: hard to advance
Work with students daily and interact with coworkers. Interact with different departments daily such as Advising, financial aid, and VA. I enjoy working with the students and the atmosphere of student services.
fast pace and great coworkers
Secretary (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJune 16, 2014
HCC is a fast pace and fun environment to work in. Great management and occasional room for advancement.
Excellent place for college student to work.
Student Leader (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJune 14, 2014
I worked as a math tutor at Brandon HCC campus for 3 years. On a typical day I would assist students with their math problems (homework, quizzes, test prep, etc.) in classes ranging from remedial level up through multi-variable calculus and statistics, with the occasional physics student peppered in there.

One's work schedule is highly flexible to – more... accommodate for classes, and the other tutors are, for the most part, math and engineering majors. – less
good pace to work
Library Assistant (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJune 2, 2014
informational support to the students and graduation are well prepared
Fun and very interactive
Pt. Technician (Former Employee), Tampa FLMay 25, 2014
Worked with students helping them get enrolled into school or helping them with their financial aid. Return to Title IV
An excellent group of educational professionals
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee), South Shore CampusMay 4, 2014
Pros: professional training is available
Cons: in transition as common core standard come into play in florida
The campus is well run and accommodating to all students. I enjoy the campus and working with the faculty.
Okay
IT Technician (Current Employee), Tampa, FLApril 4, 2014
Working here is like any other typical job in IT. You come in, you do your work to the best of your ability and you go home
Indirect, Rude and Conniving Supervisors!
Staff Assitant (Former Employee), Tampa, FLApril 1, 2014
Pros: the college outside environment
Cons: indirect, meetings held were pointless, supervisors with top authority, treated you like you didnt go, to college, also obtain the same degree as them. no advancement.
The hardest part of the job is the undermining from the supervisors. They give you a set of instructions and duties to abide by they don't follow themselves.
Their values they project to follow by are not true. The supervisors were the WORST and extremely petty individuals. The turnover rate is high and I got out the first chance I could get.
Great environment to learn with supportive staff
Program Specialist (Current Employee), Tampa FLFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: only part time
It is a part time position that allows for flexibility of hours. I have learned how to process travel expenditures and sharpen my Microsoft Office skills. The staff is very helpful and management is also very helpful and clear about what need to be done, which makes it easy to get the job done. The most enjoyable part of my job is the office environment.
I absolutely loved working with HCC.
Financial Advisor Assistant (Former Employee), Tampa, FLFebruary 3, 2014
I wish I was still at HCC but the job was through the work study program. So once I left HCC my job ended.
Great college campus atmosphere
Zoology Instructor (Current Employee), Plant City, FLFebruary 3, 2014
I teach an introductory course on Zoology. I manage the course materials, website, assignments. I advise students on term projects. I have learned a great deal about management-managing students in both sections that I teach, managing the syllabus, managing assignments and tests. I have leaned to organize materials efficiently by using MS Office. I – more... enjoy teaching and leading a classroom of motivated and hard-working students. – less
Managed the Student Success Center
Federal Work Study (Former Employee), Plant City, FLJanuary 30, 2014
Pros: constant communcation with fellow students, and staff
Cons: unable to learn the aspects of the admissions process for future employment
Managed the Student Success Center, greeted and assisted students with the signing-in and signing-out process, monitored the productivity of tutors, stocked printers and fax machines, assisted students with computer log on issues and daily functions of lab computers.
productive work place
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), Tampa, FLDecember 11, 2013
Help take calls look up her appointment book and help her with students that needed help
a warm and enjoyable place to work
Federal Work Study Student (Former Employee), tampa, fl 33605November 20, 2013
Pros: computer access
Cons: not being able to leave testing room
a typical day started with turning on computers. I learned how to setup the computer for different test given in testing center. The manager was very accesible if a problem arose, Co-workers were very friendly and supportive. The hardest part of the job was monitoring the students activities while taking the test. The most enjoyable was being able to – more... study while working. – less
Not a very good job
Federal work study program Intern (Former Employee), Plant CityOctober 24, 2013
Pros: they work around your class schedule
Cons: your grades decide how much you can work
Stuck on a computer for hours.

I learned Data input, Mailing Documents, Contacting vendors

the management was Ok.

had very little interaction with the other works.

the hardest part of the job was the research some unknown subjects.

the good part of the job was that they work around my class schedule.
work study
Student assistant (Former Employee), Tampa, FLAugust 29, 2013
it wasn't the best job that I had and it wasn't the worse, but it was work study I got the job through my financial aid
Avoid HCC
Senior Programmer Analyst (Former Employee), Ybor CampusAugust 22, 2013
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: everything else
I worked as a programmer analyst from early 2001 through end of 2004. The I.T. department was a joke. There were several very talented programmers there but upper management was absent and completely detached. Middle management was hostile and incompetent. Pay was low but that’s to be expected because it is a county institution and we were actually – more... employees of a vender called SunGard. No sense of security, no chance for promotions. The only positive was the programmers I worked with. They were great.

Avoid this place at all cost. – less