Hillsborough Community College Employee Reviews

Relationship with English colleagues very positive, but administration and committee structure not academically supportive.
English Instructor (Current Employee) –  Brandon CampusApril 29, 2015
The regular teaching load for an instructor is 5 classes per semester. This semester I am teaching 4 different courses. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I am with students from 8 AM until 4 PM. Besides the classroom time, the load for grading papers is very heavy for composition teachers. I have strengthened my classroom pedagogical and classroom management skills. I have also developed additional confidence in myself as a teacher. My co-workers are very collegial,scholarly, and supportive. The most enjoyable part of the job is working directly with students and guiding their improvement
Pros
Freedom and flexibility in the classroom
Cons
Heavy loads. Not evaluated on teaching effectiveness but on other criteria.
Excellent work environment and professional administration
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 4, 2015
Excellent work environment and professional administration have been incredibly helpful in my time working at HCC. It has been an absolute pleasure teaching a subject I enjoy with, and around, others who share my passion for education.
Pros
evening hours to work with my day work schedule
Cons
none so far
Experience and Progress
PROGRAM COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 19, 2015
The typical work day is unchangeable. There are plenty opportunities within the workplace, but no room for growth. Leadership, specifically the department I work in, doesn't really show appreciation for its staff, which is something every leader should have. The hardest part in working for this institution is being able to gain experience in order to move on to bigger and better opportunities. The positive sides to this is being able to change lives, compensating those who wish to have a second chance in being career ready.
Pros
Great Enviroment, Flexiability, Job Security
Cons
Low Compensation
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLSeptember 10, 2015
Everyday it was something different. The professors that I worked with were amazing, Running errands and visiting different locations on the campus while meeting new students and professors.
Pros
Management, Co-workers
Unreliable, but good experience
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLDecember 16, 2014
Unfortunately, my review is colored by the fact that my termination was handled very unprofessionally. It was purely due to the supervisor's idea that he needed to "take turns spreading the experience around" and had decided that I should only be employed one term. A fact that was undisclosed to me at the beginning and probably have led me to not working there.

Nothing wrong with the company, other than that they allowed him to do that. Hence the low review.
Simple
Part-time technician (Current Employee) –  Plant City, FLNovember 12, 2015
Easy going work environment, most issues are simple paperwork fixes, and clear communication tends to solve every problem.
Cons
Pay increases are very slow
Love this job and company
Financial Aide Assistance (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 5, 2014
As a valuable member of Financial Aid service team, helping with following administrative duties:
• Greeting Costumer and signing them in and out, by using “Who’s next” program
• Using “Datatel“ program to answer multiple question about Pell Grants and Loans for college students
• Helping and receiving students documentation for FASFA completion
• Responsible for file room reorganization; purging old files and ensuring quality of current files
• Downloading and scanning documentation in to “ImageNow” program
Love the environment
Allied Health Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tampa FloridaJanuary 26, 2015
Working with students and instructors to ensure that all supplies and materials are ready for classes. Inventory of books, materials and enrollment documents for prospective students. The most enjoyable part of my day is communicating with the students. My co-workers are fun people to be around.
Pros
Fun people to work with
Cons
Salary is on the very low pay range
An extremely enjoyable job! The best I have ever had!
Reading Instructor Reading Department Head (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 10, 2014
Working and teaching at HCC was a joy. Not only were the faculty members pleasant and professional, but most of the students were respectful and eager to learn! The students had one hour of lecture and one hour of lab. I would assist them in the lab, but they had computer work/goals they needed to complete independently. The classes were small enough to be able to work individually/small group work. The best part was the fun we had learning with lots of laughing!
Pros
The students
Cons
It ended too soon!
Excellent place for college student to work.
Student Leader (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 14, 2014
I worked as a math tutor at Brandon HCC campus for 3 years. On a typical day I would assist students with their math problems (homework, quizzes, test prep, etc.) in classes ranging from remedial level up through multi-variable calculus and statistics, with the occasional physics student peppered in there.

One's work schedule is highly flexible to accommodate for classes, and the other tutors are, for the most part, math and engineering majors.
Indirect, Rude and Conniving Supervisors!
Staff Assitant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 1, 2014
The hardest part of the job is the undermining from the supervisors. They give you a set of instructions and duties to abide by they don't follow themselves.
Their values they project to follow by are not true. The supervisors were the WORST and extremely petty individuals. The turnover rate is high and I got out the first chance I could get.
Pros
The college outside environment
Cons
Indirect, meetings held were pointless, supervisors with top authority, treated you like you didnt go, to college, also obtain the same degree as them. No advancement.
Great college campus atmosphere
Zoology Instructor (Current Employee) –  Plant City, FLFebruary 3, 2014
I teach an introductory course on Zoology. I manage the course materials, website, assignments. I advise students on term projects. I have learned a great deal about management-managing students in both sections that I teach, managing the syllabus, managing assignments and tests. I have leaned to organize materials efficiently by using MS Office. I enjoy teaching and leading a classroom of motivated and hard-working students.
a warm and enjoyable place to work
Federal Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  tampa, fl 33605November 20, 2013
a typical day started with turning on computers. I learned how to setup the computer for different test given in testing center. The manager was very accesible if a problem arose, Co-workers were very friendly and supportive. The hardest part of the job was monitoring the students activities while taking the test. The most enjoyable was being able to study while working.
Pros
computer access
Cons
not being able to leave testing room
Avoid HCC
Senior Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ybor CampusAugust 22, 2013
I worked as a programmer analyst from early 2001 through end of 2004. The I.T. department was a joke. There were several very talented programmers there but upper management was absent and completely detached. Middle management was hostile and incompetent. Pay was low but that’s to be expected because it is a county institution and we were actually employees of a vender called SunGard. No sense of security, no chance for promotions. The only positive was the programmers I worked with. They were great.

Avoid this place at all cost.
Pros
Great Co-workers
Cons
Everything else
Productive, professional, clean, and friendly work environment.
Assistant Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 15, 2013
Perform clerical support such as greeting visitors, maintaining files, typing letters, telephone registrar. Oversee analysis of incoming routine and controlled correspondence, perform routine tasks such as correspondence filing, data entry, designing flyers, post cards, and brochures for the department. Enter classes and students into the state website that have completed our courses. perform administrative duties, multitasking. Interact with coworkers to assist with customers needing help...
Pros
comfortable work place
Cons
i'm part time w/no health or dental benefits.
Managed the Student Success Center
Federal Work Study (Former Employee) –  Plant City, FLJanuary 30, 2014
Managed the Student Success Center, greeted and assisted students with the signing-in and signing-out process, monitored the productivity of tutors, stocked printers and fax machines, assisted students with computer log on issues and daily functions of lab computers.
Pros
Constant communcation with fellow students, and staff
Cons
Unable to learn the aspects of the admissions process for future employment
Great environment to learn with supportive staff
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tampa FLFebruary 12, 2014
It is a part time position that allows for flexibility of hours. I have learned how to process travel expenditures and sharpen my Microsoft Office skills. The staff is very helpful and management is also very helpful and clear about what need to be done, which makes it easy to get the job done. The most enjoyable part of my job is the office environment.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
only part time
LOVED this position - Company & Management Family Friendly
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 15, 2015
Even though it was minimum wage and only 20 hours a week the person i worked for made it worth it. AMAZING and missed very much. Grading papers, organization, office work.
Pros
Awesome Supervisor, Worked with my schedule, Saved gas - work and class on campus
Cons
Once graduate employment had to end, Low pay -Low hours
Good assistance for staff with adequate support
Adjunct Nursing Professor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 18, 2013
This is a good place for a new nursing adjunct professor to start. Staff are helpful, supportive and wiling to guide new staff. Management is helpful but does not micromanage. They encourage new ideas and methods to teach students. The hardest part of the job was saying good bye to the students. The most enjoyable part was watching the students grow from no experience and total fear of the hospital to "baby" nurses, confident in the new skills they had learned. A typical day involved working with the students and guiding them through the basic nursing skills and providing situations that would allow them experience in various aspects of nursing.
Pros
Working with the students
Cons
Had to teach on Saturdays
Excellent work environment fro students
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 3, 2013
The workday consist of printer administration and student assistance with software programs. My coworkers are all looking to advace in their career choices. The hardest part of the job is loosing hours due to the closing of schools for holidays which cuts our pay. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to keep up with our course work while getting experience in the IT industry.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hillsborough Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2