Hillsborough County Schools Employee Reviews

Great career for people with families
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 26, 2017
Great benefits, schedule and time off. Perfect for people with families who are willing to sacrifice pay, for benefits and time off. Nurses are very low paid with the school district, but depending on what is more important to you, this could work well with a family schedule. But not enough pay to fully support a family.
Pros
lunches, breakfast, time off, schedule, job security
Cons
pay, unorganized at times
Stressful and poor management
Communications Technician (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 19, 2017
Working the Hillsborough County schools, I've learned that as an employee you can not be punished for wrongful doing. Its always a slap on the hand. That makes it more difficult to run the business and keep a positive work environment.
Clean, cut, and cook meat, fish (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 1, 2017
Management at the elementary school was very unprofessional. However I enjoyed serving the children and preparing the meals for children that offered them a balanced daily diet .
Pros
serving my community
Cons
unprofessional staff/ not enough money
Interesting Environment
Bilingual Aide (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 17, 2017
I really enjoyed working with them. I learned a lot of things such as

•Experience with multi-tasking and prioritization in a fast-paced environment.
•Experience with the delivery of effective messaging through written and verbal communications.
•Build solid, effective working relationships with others.
•Constructively work under stress and pressure when faced with high workloads and deadlines.
•Respond to incoming calls in a friendly and courteous manner.
Adjust readily to change and adapt as needed.
Pros
Paid Lunch time.
Cons
Only 10 months of employment.
it was ok
Coach/ ESE Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 14, 2017
Flexible but pay is not great. You get to choose what school you go to and when. over all no complaints other than the pay is terrible and the kids can be crazy
Lots of jobs
teacher (Former Employee) –  Plant City, FLJune 11, 2017
Hillsborough County has plenty of openings and I worked with some great people but it was so far from Indiana where my family and friends lived. I worked there for 3 years and then came home.
Pros
Easy to get a job (lack of teachers)
Cons
Far from home
Part Time Employment
Transportation Worker (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 30, 2017
I enjoyed my career with Hillsborough County Schools. I have now retired, but during the time i worked here, i had a great experience. The people were great also.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Summer Break
Flexible
UN Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Plant City, FLMay 21, 2017
Great flexibility, easy to move around from different positions. Working with special need children takes strong individuals. Management communicates well.
Nice Environment
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 19, 2017
Very Respectful work place, loved the officers and Dispatchers, all great people. Loved the daily dispatch meetings and the sense that everyone was working together.
Fun enviroment enjoyed the kid,s and staff.and the job title i held
Tampa bay techicial school (Former Employee) –  4601 orient rd. Tampa fl. 33610May 16, 2017
My job was a very good place to work opportunity, to move forward. To advance working with the public and people. I fealt like i was important person on my job because i was one of the the first personal the kd,s see at the beginning of their day.
Call Center with a hint of Law Enforcement
Communications Technician (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 15, 2017
A high stress/noise environment with reliable co-workers, but zero management presence. There is no room for career advancement within the school district from this position. Department is constantly understaffed leading to lots of overtime but minimum vacation approval.
Pros
3rd shift gave me alot of freetime for classwork
Cons
2 15 minute breaks a day, Management cared little for us
Adult Education - Teacher - ESOL and GED classes (Former Employee) –  Leto H.S.Tampa, FLMarch 24, 2017
Hillsborough County Schools is a great place to work. The Adult Education department is very organized and fulfills the needs of students as well as supporting instructors..
fun work place if you like children
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 17, 2017
It's a great place to work but the pay needs to be more. The summer vacation time and spring break is awesome as long as you have saved money. Christmas break is another vacation time
Fun job and able to help kids
Lead AVID Tutor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 13, 2017
A typical involves changing student lives ! I learned classroom management skills . I worked hands on with my supervisor who was easy going and very helpful. I would say the hardest part of the job would be the pay, benefits, and kids at times. You don't receive benefits because you are part time. I truly enjoyed working with the kids and helping them through situations.
Pros
schedule
Cons
breaks and no benefits
Interesting.
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 11, 2017
Daily interaction with colleagues and management was good. People are nice and very effective in their tasks. Management was very helpful and always accessible.
Muy buen trato de parte de todos los directivos. Positivo.
Spanish English Paraprofesional (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 27, 2016
Excelente trabajo en equipo. Estable ambiente de trabajo. Salario no del todo justo pero se equilibra con algunos de los buenos beneficios que el sistema de las escuelas publicas del condado ofrecen. En General Positivo.
Pros
Favorable para cualquier profesional que llegue de otro pais.
Cons
Salario no del todo justo, muy en el limite bajo.
Great starting place for educators
Educational Instructor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 5, 2016
Hillsborough County Public Schools is a wonderful place to start your Education career! There are great schools that are located in the vicinity of the up and coming downtown Tampa.
Pros
Great District
Cons
Pay and compensation
If you love special needs children it is rewarding, however pay not good at all.
Unique Needs Aid (Current Employee) –  Riverview, FLNovember 9, 2016
I love working with children all ages and all capacities. I'm a Paraprofessional in Hillsborough. This job is very convenient because I have a teenage daughter and I can be with her when she doesn't have school. However, the pay is way too low to try and survive on. That means a single parent or single person cannot work as a Para in Hillsborough without assistance. There's not enough understanding about how much work is involved being a Para. I would like my Co-workers to be treated fairly, I myself have to move on.
Pros
Good Co-Workers, Satisfying Work, Convenient
Cons
Low Pay, Not Enough Understanding With ESE
Great place to work. If you can self educate yourself on school procedures
Electrical Instructor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 28, 2016
I found that the school system can be a very rewarding place to work, but there is little support from Administration and co-workers. Also everyone seems to be out for themselves instead of working together for a common good. Decisions on the future of your program is decided by people that know nothing of what you teach and how you teach. They never include teachers in their meetings. This makes this workplace toxic to me. Teaching and helping your students succeed is the most rewarding aspect.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Poor management and working atmosphere
A fun job
Transportation Technician (Former Employee) –  Riverview, FLSeptember 27, 2016
This is the perfect job for someone that have kids and can be on the same schedule as the school system. This is not just a job, you have to have a passion for kids and their safety.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Only 9 month positon