Hillsborough County Schools Employee Reviews

Great place to work. If you can self educate yourself on school procedures
Electrical Instructor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 28, 2016
I found that the school system can be a very rewarding place to work, but there is little support from Administration and co-workers. Also everyone seems to be out for themselves instead of working together for a common good. Decisions on the future of your program is decided by people that know nothing of what you teach and how you teach. They never include teachers in their meetings. This makes this workplace toxic to me. Teaching and helping your students succeed is the most rewarding aspect.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Poor management and working atmosphere
Great starting place for educators
Educational Instructor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 5, 2016
Hillsborough County Public Schools is a wonderful place to start your Education career! There are great schools that are located in the vicinity of the up and coming downtown Tampa.
Pros
Great District
Cons
Pay and compensation
If you love special needs children it is rewarding, however pay not good at all.
Unique Needs Aid (Current Employee) –  Riverview, FLNovember 9, 2016
I love working with children all ages and all capacities. I'm a Paraprofessional in Hillsborough. This job is very convenient because I have a teenage daughter and I can be with her when she doesn't have school. However, the pay is way too low to try and survive on. That means a single parent or single person cannot work as a Para in Hillsborough without assistance. There's not enough understanding about how much work is involved being a Para. I would like my Co-workers to be treated fairly, I myself have to move on.
Pros
Good Co-Workers, Satisfying Work, Convenient
Cons
Low Pay, Not Enough Understanding With ESE
Professional environment is friendly and very supportive
Assistant Teacher/Office Support (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 18, 2016
Typical work days vary and the element of surprise is always present due to various cultures and ethnicities. Management is of extreme importance in an effort to give equal attention to the clients/customers upon interaction. Colleagues are very supportive and enhance the quality of work through team organization.
Pros
Watching children from different backgrounds interact and not consider their respective environments
Cons
Funding and the inability to meet every need due to lack of or sparse funding
Best workplace to be part of
Bilingual Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 26, 2016
I love my job as a bilingual paraprofessional. This job gave me the opportunity to prove myself as an educator and as good asset for my administrators. I learned to work in a multicultural environment where the staff work hard for the sake of the students and help each other constantly.

I left to finish my teacher internship, so I can complete my undergraduate degree.
A fun job
Transportation Technician (Former Employee) –  Riverview, FLSeptember 27, 2016
This is the perfect job for someone that have kids and can be on the same schedule as the school system. This is not just a job, you have to have a passion for kids and their safety.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Only 9 month positon
Loved the work hours but low rate of pay, horrible training & management
Para Professional in a ESE Special Needs Classroom (Former Employee) –  Hillsborough County, FLApril 28, 2016
While employed the two school terms for Hillsborough County Schools, I had great hours 7:30-2:30 but the work and the extra assistance I was asked to give but not compensated for wasn't acceptable to me. There wasn't adequate training for the department (Special Need/ESE) for which I was hired. I would often ask my supervisor for help or guidance but I would be turned a way or told to" just wait it out".

I also witnessed first hand some unethical and questionable things concerning the children that made me uncomfortable which is why I resigned.
Pros
Great Parents, Wondeful childern & a few great support staff
Cons
Lack of training and Administrative Support
Great Place to Work
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 2, 2016
I've had the opportunity to work with the most inspirational and motivating teachers and appreciate all the opportunities I've had as a teacher. There are ways to build leadership skills too.
Pros
Vacation Time
Cons
balance
I enjoy having the same days off as my children but workload is heavy and pay is not competitive.
Speech Language Pathologist (Current Employee) –  Riverview FloridaJanuary 21, 2014
Work day starts at 7:20. I serve 60 children a week with approximately 65 hrs a week direct contact and approx. 20 hrs. or more a week of indirect contact, paperwork, meetings, planning, preparing materials, consultation, collaboration, Assessments, etc...
I work with elementary age children ages 3-12 and grades pk through 5th grade. Teachers, faculty, and staff including administration at my current school are very nice, helpful and hard working. My day technically ends at 3:20 but most days I stay at work till 4:00 pm and I also end up taking work home. The worst part of the job is the high caseload that does not allow for proper preparation of lessons and therapy goals. The best part of my job is knowing that what I do makes a difference in the lives of my students.
Pros
summers off, holidays off, good benefits
Cons
high caseload, no pay for days off, lots of meetings and paperwork
The hillsborough county public school system is fantastic!!!
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 3, 2016
I enjoyed it very much but the children were a problem for me and I Wanted to find something else that wasnt teaching as the children were very bad.

Want to know more about Hillsborough County Schools?

Ask a question
Teaching is horrible
Elementary School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 10, 2016
The problem with Hillsborough County Schools is that the downtown office has no idea what really goes on in a classroom. You are told not to discipline kids and that the parent is always right. The best part is that your pay depends on how well your kids do on a test.
As a substitute teacher, I worked in various locations, so different schools had different environments.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 6, 2014
It is a good school system. Since I specialized in special education, I can not give a "typical" summary of my day or co-workers, but almost everyone that I worked with was pleasant and cooperative and all were focused on the education of the children.
Pros
working with many different children
Cons
no benefits or Social Security credits
Great District
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 11, 2016
One of the better school districts to be employed with in Florida. Many knowledgeable and caring teachers in this district. Work day is long but a good place to work.
A fast paced environment that requires organization and flexibility.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Lithia, FLDecember 29, 2015
I manage multiple projects with minimal supervision. I teach 10 classes per day with a class change every 30 minutes. I have to maintain same level of energy and enthusiasm for each individual class and I learn how to be flexible to meet the needs of each individual.
The hardest part of my job is having to cover double classes when my co-worker is absent. Which means I am instructing 44 students instead of 23 per class. The greatest joy of my job is to see when a student is experiencing that moment of accomplishment.
Pros
Professional environment with fixed hours 90% of the time.
Cons
Not paid for performances after hours.
Good Job with various avenues for advancement
ESE Specialist/Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 13, 2014
A good place to work with good benefits and may avenues for advancement.
Pros
Benefits and advancement opportunities
Cons
High accountability for the performance of others
Great Hours
RETURNED TO SCHOOL BUS DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 13, 2016
Loved my Job, Co-workers really knew the meaning of TEAM work...
If the students were off there was no school. Making it great for appointments.
Pros
Holidays off
Cons
No conquesences for bad behavior
nice work place
Cosmetology Instructor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 16, 2015
I serviced professional hairdressers with professional products and helped them formulate color corrections for their clients. I loved this job but needed more compensation and benefits.
education and safety
student aide (Current Employee) –  tampa,flFebruary 17, 2012
Im proud to say that I have been a part of a company that promotes and strives to educate our children. They also makes sure that besides education, safety of our children is top priority!
Cons
no benefits
A year of experience
H.O.S.T Councilor (Current Employee) –  Tamp, FloridaFebruary 5, 2015
The job is GREAT it has it ups and downs.
You don't get paid enough to deal with these kids at 8.00 an hour but there's talk of it going to 9.00 but still not enough, but what cane you do? if your going to school for a teacher its a perfect job to put on your resume! Besides its a cake walk! Watching children for four hours a day, no problem. The management is a joke! The only way to get promotions is to kiss your managers butt, and be prepared to have management put their friends first before they get bake to you.
But all in all its a great starter job if you don't have car payments or pay rent.
Pros
watch kids for four hours a day, more hours in the summer, easy work, teacher perks with school id card, get off at 6 everyday, weekends off, spring break off, winter break off, thanksgiving break off, paid training.
Cons
doesnt work with second job, limited hours (never touch 30 a week), non pay breaks (split pay checks to cover break), hard to move up in management, poor pay for amount of hours given, unorganized management, demanded a lot for little pay, favoritism from management.
Driving the school bus is a pleasure to do. I have always worked with chilren.
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 14, 2015
I love transporting the children to and from school on a daily basis, they need a nice warm spirit in the morning when they are going to school. I also had to kept a daily log of the bus trip, and the services that were done each day.
Pros
The children, and the Trips, and the games.
Cons
The pay it was not enough.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hillsborough County Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3