Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office

Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office Employee Reviews

Professional work environment
Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee), Tampa, FLApril 21, 2015
Pros: Very Challenging
Cons: Close environment with harden criminals.
Very professional work environment. The the atmosphere is very serious and hard work dealing with incarcerated inmates.
Child Protective Investigator (Current Employee), Tampa, FlApril 1, 2015
Great place to work and would recommend to anyone looking to protect children and help build families. You are able to help children and that is the most rewarding part of the job.
secure, political work environment
Detention Deputy (Former Employee), Tampa, FLFebruary 13, 2015
what you would expect from a sheriff's office. good insurance and benefits, room for promoting. deputies are not the most fun people to work around.
Law Enforcement Detective
Law Enforcement Detective (Current Employee), Tampa, FLJanuary 29, 2015
Law Enforcement Detective for major law enforcement agency. Complex investigations and rewarding work. Everchanging daily work environment and tasks.
Hard work, not for everyone
Child Protection Investigator Field Trainer (Former Employee), Tampa, FLOctober 8, 2014
Pros: experience across the board
Cons: long hours, limited holiday time, stressful situations.
I liked working there but the hours are tough and the case load was tougher. I loved the people I worked with but management was occasionally difficult. However, on tough cases, you had support from management and other CPIs.

This job takes a lot of your time, especially in the first few years, due to the learning curve.
Great company
Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee), Tampa, FlJuly 23, 2014
Place to work if you want to be in Law Enforcement. Great leaders.
"911, What is your emergency?"
Community Service Officer / Dispatcher (Current Employee), Tampa, FLJanuary 24, 2014
Pros: helping people, schedule, coworkers, feeling like my job is important
Cons: working nights, not always being told, "hey good job"
There is no typical day at work when you work at the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office. You never know what your next call will be, or what will happen. I learned a great deal of patience and compassion. I've talked to people who have just had their home broken into, parents whose son or daughter hasn't come home, to individuals who want to end their life. And they are calling because they don't feel like they have any other option. Those calls are definately the hardest part of my job. My coworkers are all amazing and each one of us is trained for 6 months or longer to be able to do our job correctly. I'd say the most enjoyable part of my job is when working the radio position, and if deputy keys up and you can tell something isn't right, getting the right help to him quickly and efficiently so he or she can go home to their family after their shift, or talking to a suicidal person and calming them down and helping them realize that is not the path they want to take.
Great place to work. Every day you learn something new and have new experiences.
Detention Corporal, Confinement Housing (Current Employee), Tampa, FLJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: great pay!!!
Cons: work schedule can interfere with family and any ad-vocations you may enjoy.
Great place to work and gain insight to what law enforcement and corrections have to deal with on a daily basis. Management requires at least a two year degree and is involved with their employees. Your coworkers are from so many different walks of life and each brings new ideas to the table. Maintaining self control and mental stability is the most difficult self-management aspect of the job. You see and experience situations that most people will never see their entire life. The most enjoyable part of the job is the true friendships that are made. Every day you depend on those you work with it, your life may depend on it!
Great Agency to work for
Senior Secretary (Current Employee), Tampa, FLOctober 25, 2013
The Sheriff's Office has been a great place to work at with really good benefits and stability.
Good Job
Dispatcher (Former Employee), Tampa, FLSeptember 21, 2013
Being a dispatcher is a very trying job if your not use to shift work and dealing with real life events not just stuff you see on the news. This isnt a job for the weak hearted. Training is long and memorization is important.
A wonderful place to work.
Crossing Guard (Current Employee), Tampa, FLSeptember 5, 2013
Pros: i get to spend more time with family.
Cons: not enough hours.
The people are wonderful to work with. There is a great atmosphere in the offices. I work with children and I adore them. The hardest part of the job is getting people to stop so I can cross my students.I enjoy the kids and speaking with the parents. I share the street with one other person, who is right down the road and we wave at each other. If we have time we may meet up and talk for a moment. I love my job.
Best job I've had!!!
Temporary Community Service Officer (Former Employee), Tampa, FLMay 9, 2013
Pros: compensation, skills learned, pace of work
Cons: callousness of some workers, lack of training
This was my first job, so obviously I had butterflies out of this world, but I ended up loving it. The first day an inmate tried to escape, and I thought this the most exciting thing in the world. Some might consider me strange, but I got my B.A. in Criminology, so this was right up my alley. The only downside to this job was the lack of training. I was just thrown in there, and working in the position required quite a few skills I wasn't used to, so that frustrating. All in all though, it was a great learning experience and I acquired a lot if useful skills in the process.
Crossing Guard •Provide safety for children and pedestrians
Crossing Guard (Current Employee), Tampa, FLApril 18, 2013
Everyday is diffrent from another being a Cross Guard.families come to get there kids after school, it is my job to make sure no one gets hurt while crossing the busy intersection. Ive learned some obey the speed limit and some disreguard the speed litmit. You have to make sure dat all traffic stop before crossing.Managing to keep the kids on the walk way, away from traffic is an improtant part to play too.My co-worker duties are the same as mine we both have to pay attention to traffic children and pedestrians. The hardest part of the job is having to stopping traffic from running red lights. But i do enjoy knowning im keep people safe will come or going across the intersection.
Helping those who protect our protect and server
Desktop Support Technician (Current Employee), Tampa, FLFebruary 25, 2013
Assist Law Enforcement personnel with their day to day Information Technological needs. This can range from, but not limited to, laptop exchange, password reset, surveillance video compatibility issue, AD management and security software access and management. As a member of the Help Desk I work with 8 others as Tier 1 support to resolve a wide range of IT issues.
Supervised a team of investigators and staff.
State Protective Investigator Supervisor (Former Employee), Tampa, FlJanuary 1, 2013
Pros: ensured protection of those who are most vulnerable. enjoyed training and developing my team, took pride when one of my investigators was selected for a promotion.
Cons: long work hours. constant concern for child and family safety.
Provided operational and crises management on daily basis.
reviewed an disposed cases which needed court intervention and supervision.

Coordinated activities with other federal, state, and law enforcement agencies.

Evaluated and trained personnel under my supervision.

Provided monthly reports relating to performance and statistical data.
Hardest job you will ever have
Child Protection Investigator (Former Employee), Tampa, FLAugust 20, 2012
You continually get slammed with new cases while the management provides you with little to no support. The office is thick with politics and vieled threats. The work can be rewarding however the things that happen while within the office are enough to make anyone go crazy. The only good thing is the benefits which are amazing. If you apply for this job then prepare to have no life because it is so time consuming. It has cuase many a relationship and marriage to fail and due to the hectic schedule dating is near impossible.
Good Company
Multi Trade II (Former Employee), Tampa, FloridaAugust 14, 2012
Pros: steady work good pay
Cons: working with inmates
Broad scope of responsibilities included planning, organizing and supervising the work of trades help. Work included repairs and plumbing adjustment to water lines, electrical wiring and equipment, plastering, pressure washing, painting interior and exterior of buildings and any other duties assigned by Maintenance Superintendent
Consider previous experiences when considering rehires.
Community Service Officer (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJune 21, 2012
Should look to reduce costs through processing as opposed to layoffs with constant program to secure new ideas.
Learn alot about the world today.
Lunchroom Aide (Part-Time) (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJune 13, 2012
Pros: overtime
Cons: health care and pay were great.
Learn how it is if you break the law.People were great and hours and pay were good.
Secretary
Secretary (Former Employee), Work Release Center, Tampa, FLFebruary 28, 2012
Pros: great people, management
Cons: no cons
I worked at the Work Release Center for the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office. My position included correspondence for my officers, social workers, keeping correct accounting for the inmate payment accounts, and payroll for the Work Release Center.

Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office Salaries