Hillsborough County Sheriffs Office

Hillsborough County Sheriffs Office Employee Reviews in United States

Was initially hired in 1988. This was my career.
Sergeant - CPID (Retired) (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 31, 2016
Very pleased with my employment with my agency. However, after surgery, it was time to retire. I always wanted to be in or a part of the military branch. I was approved in 1995 to enlist in the Air Force, but my girlfriend was expecting, so I decided to stay with my agency. It was a good decision and I have no regrets. Now, I would like to work for our military if possible. flp
Pros
Experience, training, and salary
Cons
No Cons
Limited advancement opportunities, great medical plan and very stable employer
Accounting Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 9, 2016
This is a good place to work if you enjoy a stable environment. There are few opportunities for advancement as Civilian staff. The schedule is mostly 12 hour shift work and you may be working the big holidays -Christmas/Thanksgiving-
Pros
Excellent medical
Cons
Limited advancement and growth opportunities
there was good work
Forensic Print Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 26, 2015
In the beginning it was good to work there, but now there is mismanagement that is not good to employees. They have much work to do and supervisors yell at employees and not treat them the right way. Work for the agency for nine years and never had any disciplinary action, I was always responsible with the work to the extent of sacrificing my family but ultimately not worth it and I had to resign. I was not the only employee that when through this situation, because others employees have to resign and avoid problems and many of them are not willing to speak about it.
Gross lack of management structure
Senior Secretary (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 9, 2016
I worked at HCSO for a little over a year. What I experienced is nothing to brag about. The administrative management is/was in severe need of an overhaul. I am glad that I chose to leave when I did, after our new daughter was born.
Hardest job you will ever have
Child Protection Investigator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 20, 2012
You continually get slammed with new cases while the management provides you with little to no support. The office is thick with politics and vieled threats. The work can be rewarding however the things that happen while within the office are enough to make anyone go crazy. The only good thing is the benefits which are amazing. If you apply for this job then prepare to have no life because it is so time consuming. It has cuase many a relationship and marriage to fail and due to the hectic schedule dating is near impossible.
Awesome!
Paid Intern (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 18, 2015
Greatest experience ever. Being on the other side with the men and women we count on to protect us everyday is the best. Great experience. You see things that you would never believe. And its a good feeling knowing exactly what going on in your community. And the hours were pretty good, as well as the pay.
One of the best place to work
Process Server (Retired) (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 14, 2016
it was a great run HCSO is a great place to work. the Sheriff was great and all of my supervisior thru out my 23 years there were awesome.
Strong Career
Detention Deputy (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 10, 2015
Great place to work, Typical law enforcement career. As with any career in law enforcement, you get the positives out of it that you can, otherwise, it is very taxing and can be stressful if you can't handle the harsh realities of the job.
Hillsborough County Sheriff's County
Child Protector Investigator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 29, 2015
I learned to be organized and how to prioritize my time and make the best of it. The management was poor. I used to say too many Chiefs, not enough Indians. My co-workers were excellent to work with, team players. The hardest part of the job was coming from the field and having to type everything in the computer. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I was able to go home to my family.
Pros
Awesome supervisor, great team players, Driving company car.
Cons
Micro manage by upper management.
Supervised a team of investigators and staff.
State Protective Investigator Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FlJanuary 1, 2013
Provided operational and crises management on daily basis.
reviewed an disposed cases which needed court intervention and supervision.

Coordinated activities with other federal, state, and law enforcement agencies.

Evaluated and trained personnel under my supervision.

Provided monthly reports relating to performance and statistical data.
Pros
ensured protection of those who are most vulnerable. enjoyed training and developing my team, took pride when one of my investigators was selected for a promotion.
Cons
long work hours. constant concern for child and family safety.
Great organization
Child Protective Investigator (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 7, 2013
A typical day at work consists of lots of driving, typing, and interviewing clients. The days are sometimes very long. Each day has something different from the previous day, which helps me learn something new everyday. My coworkers are very busy and I seldom see them. The hardest part of the job is time management. The company is very strict and will not allow any overtime unless it is absolutely necessary. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you have helped a child live another day.
benefits
Cons
annual shift bid
Hard work, not for everyone
Child Protection Investigator Field Trainer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 8, 2014
I liked working there but the hours are tough and the case load was tougher. I loved the people I worked with but management was occasionally difficult. However, on tough cases, you had support from management and other CPIs.

This job takes a lot of your time, especially in the first few years, due to the learning curve.
Pros
experience across the board
Cons
long hours, limited holiday time, stressful situations.
Work environment
Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 28, 2015
The work environment as a Law Enforcement or Corrections Officer was challenging on a daily basis. As a Law Enforcement officer your work environment could go from routine to extremely dangerous. I loved the job because it gave me a chance to help my fellow citizens. The only downfall was management was always adding more and more task for deputies to do and it was hard to complete all the task, without running into overtime on many occasions.
Pros
the chance to help my fellow citizens
Cons
risking your life on occasions to protect yourself, fellow deputies, and citizens.
Accounts Payable, Payroll
Accounting Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 16, 2015
Professional staff in a well- organized environment, a very nice place to work. I enjoyed the other employees and the variety of work I performed there. They cross train their employees which I think is an advantage, therefore the business will continue to flow smoothly.
Best job I've had!!!
Temporary Community Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 9, 2013
This was my first job, so obviously I had butterflies out of this world, but I ended up loving it. The first day an inmate tried to escape, and I thought this the most exciting thing in the world. Some might consider me strange, but I got my B.A. in Criminology, so this was right up my alley. The only downside to this job was the lack of training. I was just thrown in there, and working in the position required quite a few skills I wasn't used to, so that frustrating. All in all though, it was a great learning experience and I acquired a lot if useful skills in the process.
Pros
compensation, skills learned, pace of work
Cons
callousness of some workers, lack of training
Go to TPD
Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 16, 2015
Terrible management staff: ever since "Failure to act" SOP, everyone is running scared.. makes for terrible culture that SHOULD be based on trust..
Great place to work. Every day you learn something new and have new experiences.
Detention Corporal, Confinement Housing (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 9, 2014
Great place to work and gain insight to what law enforcement and corrections have to deal with on a daily basis. Management requires at least a two year degree and is involved with their employees. Your coworkers are from so many different walks of life and each brings new ideas to the table. Maintaining self control and mental stability is the most difficult self-management aspect of the job. You see and experience situations that most people will never see their entire life. The most enjoyable part of the job is the true friendships that are made. Every day you depend on those you work with it, your life may depend on it!
Pros
great pay!!!
Cons
work schedule can interfere with family and any ad-vocations you may enjoy.
Demanding on home life
Detention Deputy (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 5, 2015
The job is very demanding on your home life. You work 12 hour shifts but it ends up being about 16 hours a day due to setting up your uniform, preparing your food for the next day and travel time.
secure, political work environment
Detention Deputy (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 13, 2015
what you would expect from a sheriff's office. good insurance and benefits, room for promoting. deputies are not the most fun people to work around.
Helping those who protect our protect and server
Desktop Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 25, 2013
Assist Law Enforcement personnel with their day to day Information Technological needs. This can range from, but not limited to, laptop exchange, password reset, surveillance video compatibility issue, AD management and security software access and management. As a member of the Help Desk I work with 8 others as Tier 1 support to resolve a wide range of IT issues.

4.3