Hillsborough County Sheriffs Office

Hillsborough County Sheriffs Office Employee Reviews

Great example of what life as a Sheriff's Deputy is really like.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FL 33613June 28, 2017
Absolutely honest and respectful work environment. Constant lessons in what it is to work as a Deputy and how they are helping to improve the lives of the people who live in Hillsborough County.
Great Place to work
Bailiff (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 22, 2017
Prepare courtroom by inspection the room. Transport in-custody inmates to courtroom and open door for out of custody personnel, attorneys, probation officer and court admin personnel. Bring judge to courtroom and conduct normal courtroom procedures.
Pros
Team concept
Great Agency
Master Patrol Deputy (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 17, 2017
Administration looked after employees. Typical law enforcement duties performed. Rotating twelve hour patrol shifts. Seniority is respected. Excellent benefits with take home vehicle.
Pros
Competent administration.
Cons
Two years minimum experience as detective before being eligible to take promotional exam.
Stressful
Child Protective Investigator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 1, 2017
Management don't care, stressful environment, no regular hours. while at court you have cases assigned to you,, many staffing to attend, no reward for hard work. some supervisors give their favorite employee easy case (non shelter cases)
My overall opinion
Certified Law Enforcement Officer (Retired) (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FloridaMay 3, 2017
Large metropolitan Law Enforcement Agency encompassing all facets of modern law enforcement activity. Typical days are spent responding to emergencies and routine calls for service. Writing reports, completing associated paperwork and making arrests in some cases is part of the daily routine. The work of a Law Enforcement Officer is both exhaustive and demanding from a mental and physical perspective, with many emotional high and low points during the shift.
Pros
Ability to interact with the public, and to provide services of many different types.
Cons
Emotional stress, long hours.
Excellent Organization
Deputy Sheriff/Law Enforcement (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 20, 2017
They expect top-notch people because law enforcement is a dangerous job. They have wonderful supervisors and an amazing Sheriff. They truly care about their people and treat you like family. This was the best place I have ever worked.
Pros
Supportive work environment
Cons
nothing. It is a great place
Great place!
Office Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 19, 2017
This is a good place to work. The supervisors are awesome to for and help out alot. The schedules are good and you only work halaf the month. The pay is good too.
Pros
Breaks
Benefits
Great careet and opportunities as long as you can not be too much of an individual with ideas opposite from the popular kids and higher ups.
Detention Deputy/Corporal (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 17, 2017
Constant change and challenging environment sometimes from one day to the next literally. Have to show up for shift, not have a complaint about the preferential treatments and the high school social scale of the cool kids. If you are lucky enough to get on a good shift it is an awesome place to work, but more likely you are left to carry the weight of the slackers and without any positive reinforcement from those in charge. In the beginning of my career I was so excited and ready to rush into work every day, in the end it was only about making it through the shift and getting out of there. IF the agency would treat everyone fair and equal along with improving communications among all divisions maybe they could get better quality of people to come and stay. Also their unrealistic beliefs that the road and the jail should be held to the same testing standards is beyond ridiculous. I do miss the job, but not the politics or the yearly physical abilities test that had little to do with my actual duties in the jail facilities.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
Preferentail treatments, short staffing, unrealistic goals, and slackers
Law Enforcement
Records Data Specialist and Booking Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FL 33605April 4, 2017
I found that I was becoming paranoid and was bringing my work into my personal life. I found this to be uncomfortable. The stress level increased at work to a point where it was effecting my health in a very bad way. I found it necessary to tender my resignation to look for something less stressful.
Pros
Always Changing
Cons
Stressful
Motivated and dedicated staff
Deputy (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 24, 2017
I would recommend HSCO as one of the better law enforcement agencies in the Tampa Bay area.

Though work was demanding (12 hour shifts), serving the community is very rewarding.

Mid. level management was very good at supporting the role of deputies, and encouraging work/life balance.

Advancement is definitely available to those who are motivated, educated, and willing to put in the extra effort.
Pros
Training, Uniforms, Camaraderie
Cons
Stressful Environment, Night-Shift
Very Challenging work
Digital Communications Dispatch Trainee (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 20, 2017
This, along with any Police Dispatching job, is very challenging work. I learned the the job is very fast paced and not for everyone. In the short period of time that I was there, I worked with dedicated, hard working people. They don't get paid nearly enough!!
Pros
Good co-workers, lots of time off
Cons
Medical Benefits, hours and pay are all horrible
Na
Child Protective Investigator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 19, 2017
Good Benefits.
Good environment.
Supervisors may be to overbearing however supportive.
Rewarding and outstanding career.
Hectic work environment.
Intense hours
GENERAL MANAGER I (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 6, 2017
Great place to work Benefits are top notch. Advancement to higher positions is slow as positions are not always readily open. Hiring process is fair and based on performance.
Professional environment where we all worked as a team.
Community Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 31, 2017
Our shifts were Monday through Sunday on a rotational basis to keep days on and off equal. We processed several hundred people on any given day for visits with their inmates. It was brisk and we had to be on our toes at all times. I love being busy! I learned how to deal with people who were in our facility to see loved ones who had been arrested and incarcerated in the Falkenburg and Orient Road Jails. Their demeanor could be anything from the nicest people you have ever met to those who lost all control and on rare occasions were either escorted off property, trespassed, or arrested and booked by the on site Sheriff's Deputies. Team work was the key from the Captain of the facility down to us the civilian employees. The hardest part was dealing with troublemakers trying to push us over the top so we would be reprimanded. The best part was at the end of the last visit check in when we all gave a collective sigh of relief. That was when we could comment about the day. Everything from who had the quirkiest visitor to what was going on in our home life. I miss the job and I miss the people.
Pros
Good job, benefits, and people.
Cons
That one visitor pushing our buttons.
Internship (Former Employee) –  7202 Gunn HwyJanuary 16, 2017
Did ride alongs, great to see how cops figure everything out, work through all the problems and figure out the truth from all the lies being told. Got to see the right way to talk to people, let them talk and how to ask certain questions to get the answers you need.
Pros
Great experience, working with people
good
Detention Deputy (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 28, 2016
if you like kissing butt and going to off duty stuff and again kissing a lot of butts then you will like it here......................................................
Very interresting place to work
Community Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 27, 2016
If you are a very physical fit person there are very many positions as a sworn personnel. This organization promotes growth in many areas. I've been there for 3 years and I would love to retire from there if I can find the position that fits for me.
Pros
Employment growth
Cons
12 hours and overnight shifts
Professional, Highly Equipped, Positive work environment
Special Security Deputy (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 13, 2016
I was part of a special security detail which protected the jail perimeters and handled high profile prisoner logistics. A typical day would consist of transporting prisoners to and from jail facilities to hospitals clinics and handling all security details.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Intense Stress
Productive Workplace
Records Data Specialist and Booking Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 17, 2016
In this job I dealt with a great deal of confidential information, a great deal of accuracy, detail, organization and time management. A typical day went very quickly with the volume of situations that I handled. Management was fair to all of the team. The hardest part of the job was working 12 hours straight on a swing shift. I enjoyed all the people that I got to meet in this job.
Pros
Great Office!
Cons
Was initially hired in 1988. This was my career.
Sergeant - CPID (Retired) (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 31, 2016
Very pleased with my employment with my agency. However, after surgery, it was time to retire. I always wanted to be in or a part of the military branch. I was approved in 1995 to enlist in the Air Force, but my girlfriend was expecting, so I decided to stay with my agency. It was a good decision and I have no regrets. Now, I would like to work for our military if possible. flp
Pros
Experience, training, and salary
Cons
No Cons